Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2021-22 Pt. XIII - Josh Anderson vs Alex DeBrincat vs Kevin Fiala

Status
Not open for further replies.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Sign me up for:

$7M cap hit, $10M cash, RFA-to be, '1st line center,' 25yr old, averaging 60 pts a season in 5 seasons to date, averaging 10 PPPs per year over past 4 seasons, but still has potential...

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Sign me up for:

$7M cap hit, $10M cash, RFA-to be, '1st line center,' 25yr old, averaging 60 pts a season in 5 seasons to date, averaging 10 PPPs per year over past 4 seasons, but still has potential...
But his restrictive coach and his wingers....

Sign me up for:

How dare Trotz ask him to handcuff his talents and play a more north-south game to better suit what we had on the roster.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Have a Red Bull so you can make more excuses for Barzal underperforming last year.
Ya, nothing like actually using stats and factual statements to defend a position....

Oh, I know...

Nelson is a much better PP performer and center than Barzal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because he had 11 PP goals last season!!!

Completely omitting the fact that one averages 71 points per 82 and the other not even 60 and one has almost twice as many PP points as the other.....

Absolute idiocy...

Reactions: Glory Days

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Ya, nothing like actually using stats and factual statements to defend a position....

Oh, I know...

Nelson is a much better PP performer and center than Barzal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because he had 11 PP goals last season!!!

Completely omitting the fact that one averages 71 points per 82 and the other not even 60 and one has almost twice as many PP points as the other.....

Absolute idiocy...
Barzal got dropped to PP2 he produced so much last year.

Nelson is the best producer on the Islanders. What more do you want? Everyone to do contortions to find a way to justify that Barzal is our true #1 center?

Reactions: hockeyfanplayer

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Whether this suggestion is good or fair value or not, we really need to remember that we've only had 16 draft picks over the past three years, two of which are already out of the system. We've only got five again this summer and at the moment six for next summer.

Any trading of this year's first would mean we've moved it 3(!) years in a row.

We took homerun swings for Pageau and Palmieri in back-to-back years. We then tossed out another three+ high picks to rid ourselves of Ladd.

I look at Tampa with the self-drafted Stamkos and Kucherov and Point and Hedman and Vasilevski.
I look at Colorado with the self-drafted MacKinnon, Landeskog, Rantanen, Makar, Newhook, and Byram.

The constant moving of draft picks is what teams that are already playing for the cup can do, and even if we're talking about the Caps and Penguins and Kings of years past, they too didn't start moving all those picks until they had the self-drafted key pieces in place and on the brink of winning it all.

Point is, Lou moved his fair share of picks to take a swing two years running and then to free this team of immediate cap concerns.

Any constant moving of high draft picks from here on out is organizational suicide.

We're not on the cusp of winning it all right now.

We're not necessarily far away, but we're not there now.

Look for the answers via free agency and lateral deals. Time to start keeping those futures to, well, provide yourself with a future.

SIDENOTE:
I'm actually finding myself less and less convinced that we'll be moving that 1st, at least not straight up or as part of a package for an established NHLer. My gut is still 50-50 with it being moved in some form (like dropping back for more ammunition).

Someone please make this man GM.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Barzal got dropped to PP2 he produced so much last year.

Nelson is the best producer on the Islanders. What more do you want? Everyone to do contortions to find a way to justify that Barzal is our true #1 center?
any statistical metric says that is not the case.

Nelson isn't even the best goal scorer on the team, that is Lee.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
To think he's getting paid $10M CASH this year for 'potential' and 'needs a winger.' Somehow, the organization probably thinks improvement from the player was part of the escalating salary. Old man Lou.
Who said hes getting 10 mil a year? 8 for 8 years is fair. Yes he is the best player on the team. Yes he is a #1 C. But no he isnt a 10 mil player.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Anderson is a f***ing good hockey player - I have said this repeatedly I’d trade for him not sure I’d advocate for the 13 OA . I threw out an idea of Anderson and 26 OA for Beau and 13 OA. Again an idea.

Players like Anderson will always be valued more than players like Beau.

I am ready to move on from Anderson with Forsbwrg getting closer to free agency - I hope he gets the market.

And here's the thing....Tell us why Josh Anderson is a "f***ing good hockey player."

• He's scored less points than Anthony Beauvillier.
  • Scored less PPG than Josh Bailey.
  • Has scored 20 goals in a season ONCE.
  • Has a total of 7 power play goals in his career.
  • His PPG drop in the playoffs.

Basically what skill does he offer that we don't already have on this team...That it's also worth giving up a very good asset(s) to acquire him?

We already have Bailey. We have Beauvillier. We have Palmieri. With the limited amount of assets and cap space we have you want to go out and acquire someone no better than those guys?

I honestly don't get it...Unless people are falling in love with his size.

Give me Patrick Kane, Tarasenko, Forsberg, etc. These are difference-makers. Josh Anderson is just stirring the pot and adding another 5-6M contract for another FIVE years.

Last edited:

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
I don't even get the issue with Barzal's production.

He got to 66 points over 82 games. And that was with the lowest shooting percentage of his career. If he hit his career average, he would have hit 70 points.

Which is damn good in a Trotz system and weak wingers.

I'm not taking anything away from Nelson, who is a great player as well. But it seems more likely that Barzal is going to rebound from 9.3% shooting than Nelson is going to maintain 21.6% shooting.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I also think NYI makes their pick unless they are getting back a young player with term.

Yes NYI has not held their last two 1st round picks on draft day, but they were moved when the club was already in a playoff position and needed some final touches. If I had to guess, Lamoriello would prefer a 'hockey trade' where he is shifting the chairs on the currently crowded forward deck. What I mean by that is turning one of their expendable strikers into a comparable defenseman.

Heck Dobson was a 12th overall pick a few moons ago, Lamoriello is probably hoping to strike similarly with the 13th overall pick next week.

Ah, but Wahlstrom was the 11th overall pick. :eek3:;)

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
And here's the thing....Tell us why Josh Anderson is a "f***ing good hockey player."

• He's scored less points than Anthony Beauvillier.
  • Scores less PPG than Josh Bailey.
  • Has a total of 7 power play goals in his career.
  • His PPG drop in the playoffs.

Basically what skill does he offer that we don't already have on this team...That it's also worth giving up a very good asset(s) to acquire him?

We already have Bailey. We have Beauvillier. We have Palmieri. With the limited amount of assets and cap space we have you want to go out and acquire someone no better than those guys?

I honestly don't get it...Unless people are falling in love with his size.

Give me Patrick Kane, Tarasenko, Forsberg, etc. These are difference-makers. Josh Anderson is just stirring the pot and adding another 5-6M contract for another FIVE years.
Agree on all of this. Josh anderson is not anything that the isles need. Id rather keep beau. Can we aim higher for a change?

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Also Barzal is an unique type of player who needs an unique type of winger to be able to reach his full potential. He sees the game so quickly and reacts so quickly on the ice that it's hard for a lot of players to keep up with him, even his own linemates. It's kind of a hard fit to find the right wingers for him.

Nelson is more of protypical player, so it's easier to find a mesh with him with the wingers already on the team.

If you really want to see Barzal's potential come out, you gotta get someone like Forsberg or Faila this summer. Both are wingers who can skate well and also react quickly enough to what's going on in the game to match how quickly Barzal can react.

Reactions: SayItAintSoJohnny

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
any statistical metric says that is not the case.

Nelson isn't even the best goal scorer on the team, that is Lee.
What the hell are you talking about? Nelson had 37 goals, led the team in socoring tied with Barzal this ssn, Led the team in goals the last 3 seasons.

Also Barzal is an unique type of player who needs an unique type of winger to be able to reach his full potential. He sees the game so quickly and reacts so quickly on the ice that it's hard for a lot of players to keep up with him, even his own linemates. It's kind of a hard fit to find the right wingers for him.

Nelson is more of protypical player, so it's easier to find a mesh with him with the wingers already on the team.

If you really want to see Barzal's potential come out, you gotta get someone like Forsberg or Faila this summer. Both are wingers who can skate well and also react quickly enough to what's going on in the game to match how quickly Barzal can react.
Barzal is a one dimensional player. He’s fast and has edges with an average-above average wrist shot he doesn’t trust enough. And there just aren’t enough players out there who fit the parameters you feel Barzal has.

Reactions: hockeyfanplayer

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
What it indicates to me is that it's time for Barzal to shit or get off the pot.

You have quoted/responded enough to my posts on this topic, that you know I have already expressed sharing this same exact sentiment.

Someone like Barzal I'd rather cut bait on a year too early than a year too late. I don't want him to become an even more expensive mistake 2 years from now.

Do you mean before he is extended? Or before another lukewarm productive season diminishes his value? Not sure where the year too early or too late is at this point. Also not sure if that even applies in this particular scenario. But will be interesting to see how Lou handles this...

Trade him this offseason? Arnott for Nieuwendyk is a possible historical comparable.

Sign him before this year is out? Ryan Pulock extension is a recent example of this.

Wait until after this year to decide what to do with him? That's his usual MO.

Last edited:

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
What the hell are you talking about? Nelson had 37 goals, led the team in socoring tied with Barzal this ssn, Led the team in goals the last 3 seasons.

Barzal is a one dimensional player. He’s fast and has edges with an average-above average wrist shot he doesn’t trust enough. And there just aren’t enough players out there who fit the parameters you feel Barzal has.
I am talking about common sense.

Only reason Nelson had 37 goals was an unsustainable 22% shooting percentage, which we have pointed out to you repeatedly.

Over the last five years, even with that incredible shooting percentage year last season, Nelson is at 28.4 per 82 and Lee is at 31.3. Hell, Lee was on a 36 goal pace last season and wasn't shooting 22%.....one year, albeit a good one doesn't make Brock the best scorer, much less the best performer when he doesn't even average 60 pts per 82 and Barzal averages 71 per82 for his CAREER....

Reactions: WangMustGo

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
I mean, let’s look at how Lou has drafted since being here. Other than being gifted the Wally and Dobber picks, the dude has some real head scratchers.

Im not the least bit confident that Lou is going to do well at 13.

I don’t see how it would be a bad idea to trade for a Fiala or Hauge or even Chychrun.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Who said hes getting 10 mil a year? 8 for 8 years is fair. Yes he is the best player on the team. Yes he is a #1 C. But no he isnt a 10 mil player.
His current contract - final year of a 3yr bridge deal - pays him $10M cash this year. Yup, $10M.

And...no 8/8 for $64M for Barzal is a horrible contract.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
I mean, let’s look at how Lou has drafted since being here. Other than being gifted the Wally and Dobber picks, the dude has some real head scratchers.

Im not the least bit confident that Lou is going to do well at 13.

I don’t see how it would be a bad idea to trade for a Fiala or Hauge or even Chychrun.
I don't understand where you're at here. Which one's are the head scratchers?

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
His current contract - final year of a 3yr bridge deal - pays him $10M cash this year. Yup, $10M.

And...no 8/8 for $64M for Barzal is a horrible contract. Btw, why is the world is Barzal getting a raise after underperforming on his $7M bridge deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad