Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2021-22 Pt. XIII - Josh Anderson vs Alex DeBrincat vs Kevin Fiala

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Been interesting, not sure if we are sellers or buyers but I feel we can still sell and compete, because a lot of what we have in excess is redundant. Anybody could be dealt but to me we do have certain players that can be replaced and others that are more core. I think we have 4 groups of players

Essentials - don't trade unless the offer is a blow away offer (Barzal, Pelech, Pulock, Wahlstrom, Sorokin)
Core - guys that I think are harder to replace and might have good contacts (Nelson, Cizikas, Mayfield, Pageau)
Old Guys with favorable contracts - these can be dealt but almost pointless to trade (Parise, Chara, Greene)
Young guys that are depth (Bellows, Aho) - they could be dealt and not missed

Then you have the guys that would be wise to deal if there were takers
Anders Lee - I feel he has hit his ceiling, he really is absent most shifts and he could command a prospect or good pick... he also has a bad contract ... as you get deeper into it
Josh Bailey - doubt anyone would want him, he has lost it all now and at best commands a 3rd round pick,
Varlomov - no need to keep him around as a backup, frees up salary and could be effective as a starter somewhere else
Clutter - older player now, has a lot of value to a team that needs PK help like Los Angeles. He can be easily replaced
Palmieri - not sure if a sudden goal surge gets teams excited but he will be a bad contract deeper into it.

I think if you lose 3 of the above guys and maybe one super old player, the team could still be just as competitive.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Question: can a team retain salary on a player for player swap, and can it be for just the current season if there are additional years on the contract?

For example, Bailey and Dadonov both make $5 million. Could the Isles trade Bailey to VGK for Dadonov and retain salary on Bailey for the remainder of this year? Just curious. Seems like too much of a loophole to be legit. ;)

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Question: can a team retain salary on a player for player swap, and can it be for just the current season if there are additional years on the contract?

For example, Bailey and Dadonov both make $5 million. Could the Isles trade Bailey to VGK for Dadonov and retain salary on Bailey for the remainder of this year? Just curious. Seems like too much of a loophole to be legit. ;)
man, this capology stuff makes my head spin. i can't get a grasp on any of it

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

I believe if you retain salary it's for the entirety of the contract, not select years.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
I believe if you retain salary it's for the entirety of the contract, not select years.
I thought the opposite - it is possible to retain salary for this year, for example. But I don’t know.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

This is correct, and I'll add that you can retain salary in a player for player swap. 50% is also the maximum allowed to be retained per team (If a player is traded twice but are on the same contract, two teams can trade him at 50% retention.)

Reactions: periferal

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
This is correct, and I'll add that you can retain salary in a player for player swap. 50% is also the maximum allowed to be retained per team (If a player is traded twice but are on the same contract, two teams can trade him at 50% retention.)

And also....

Any one team can only have a maximum of THREE (3) retained contracts on their books at any given time.

Reactions: PK Cronin

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
More detail on retained salary trades....

What is a retained salary transaction/trade

When a team trades a player, they have the option to retain a part of their salary (and cap hit). The team who retains the salary then pays the retained percentage of the salary, and also retains the percentage of the cap hit until the contract expires. The following requirements must be met to retain salary:
  1. The percentage retained cannot exceed 50 percent of the player’s salary (including all bonuses) and Salary Cap Hit.
  2. The same percentage must be retained for both the player’s salary and Salary Cap Hit, and cannot be modified.
  3. All teams are limited to a maximum of 3 retained salary contracts per season.
  4. Teams cannot retain an aggregate amount of more than 15 percent of the Salary Cap Upper Limit.
  5. Players’ contracts are limited to 2 retained salary transactions per contract.
Once a retained salary transaction has occurred, there are various limitations, such as:
  • A team cannot reacquire a player whom they have retained salary from for a minimum of one year after the date of the transaction, or unless the player's contract expires or is terminated prior to the one-year date.
  • All teams involved in a retained salary transaction will have cap implications if the contract is bought out or terminated.
  • Teams who retain salary on a players contract, will have the full value of the cap hit act against the teams salary cap total, regardless of whether the player is reassigned to the minors by their current team.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Islanders GM Lou Lamoriello doesn't sound ready to sell, despite struggles: 'I have a real strong belief in this core'

For an Islanders team that needs an upgrade on defense (as well as at wing), he would be close to an ideal solution — not that the Avalanche are selling.

Lamoriello will have to look elsewhere to make changes, and they could be coming, with the NHL’s March 21 trade deadline less than three weeks away.

So what will he do?

In what was approximately a 30-minute interview with The Athletic and one other news outlet Tuesday, Lamoriello touched on a number of topics regarding his team and its struggles to play consistently well in a hugely disappointing 2021-22 season.

One was the upcoming trade deadline. And judging from his comments, Lamoriello hasn’t yet thrown in the towel on this season.

“I certainly know where we stand. I also know what I believe our abilities are,” Lamoriello said. “I’ll just take right now a day at a time until we get to the point where decisions have to be made. I do not think any different at this time than I would think if we were, say, in a playoff spot today, or out of a playoff spot, because there are so many things that you think of. Everything you do is for today, with tomorrow in sight. That will never change.”

What seems unlikely is that Lamoriello will make a splashy move to break up the core of the team. While it’s debatable as to everyone who is in the core, it’s probably safe to assume that it at least includes Mathew Barzal, Brock Nelson, Adam Pelech, Ryan Pulock, Noah Dobson and Ilya Sorokin. Others such as Kyle Palmieri, Josh Bailey and J-G Pageau are probably part of it, too, if for no other reason than their respective contracts might be tough to move if the Islanders wanted to.

That said, Lamoriello did express his disappointment with some of the Islanders’ individual performances, although he didn’t name any names.
“I have a real strong belief in this core. There’s no question of that,” he said. “We’ve had some players this year have some slow starts in areas that they have to be proficient in. … We’ve got scorers who are supposed to score, and we’ve got other people that are supposed to play different roles. We haven’t had that on a consistent basis, it’s obvious. I’m not going to sugarcoat it.”

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Islanders GM Lou Lamoriello doesn't sound ready to sell, despite struggles: 'I have a real strong belief in this core'

For an Islanders team that needs an upgrade on defense (as well as at wing), he would be close to an ideal solution — not that the Avalanche are selling.

Lamoriello will have to look elsewhere to make changes, and they could be coming, with the NHL’s March 21 trade deadline less than three weeks away.

So what will he do?

In what was approximately a 30-minute interview with The Athletic and one other news outlet Tuesday, Lamoriello touched on a number of topics regarding his team and its struggles to play consistently well in a hugely disappointing 2021-22 season.

One was the upcoming trade deadline. And judging from his comments, Lamoriello hasn’t yet thrown in the towel on this season.

“I certainly know where we stand. I also know what I believe our abilities are,” Lamoriello said. “I’ll just take right now a day at a time until we get to the point where decisions have to be made. I do not think any different at this time than I would think if we were, say, in a playoff spot today, or out of a playoff spot, because there are so many things that you think of. Everything you do is for today, with tomorrow in sight. That will never change.”

What seems unlikely is that Lamoriello will make a splashy move to break up the core of the team. While it’s debatable as to everyone who is in the core, it’s probably safe to assume that it at least includes Mathew Barzal, Brock Nelson, Adam Pelech, Ryan Pulock, Noah Dobson and Ilya Sorokin. Others such as Kyle Palmieri, Josh Bailey and J-G Pageau are probably part of it, too, if for no other reason than their respective contracts might be tough to move if the Islanders wanted to.

That said, Lamoriello did express his disappointment with some of the Islanders’ individual performances, although he didn’t name any names.
“I have a real strong belief in this core. There’s no question of that,” he said. “We’ve had some players this year have some slow starts in areas that they have to be proficient in. … We’ve got scorers who are supposed to score, and we’ve got other people that are supposed to play different roles. We haven’t had that on a consistent basis, it’s obvious. I’m not going to sugarcoat it.”
I read the Newsday version of Lou's sitdown with Gross and Kurz. My first thought was "well what did you expect Lou to say?" I certainly don't agree with his take. Lou struck all the right notes, mentioned his disappointment, was loyal to the players that got us to the playoffs the last 3 years. Dangled a bit on changes having to be made.

If anyone who read this or the Newsday story had a visceral reaction that Lou wasn't being realistic, remember, coaches and GMs don't give up on a season while they're still mathematically alive. Fans do that.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
I read the Newsday version of Lou's sitdown with Gross and Kurz. My first thought was "well what did you expect Lou to say?" I certainly don't agree with his take. Lou struck all the right notes, mentioned his disappointment, was loyal to the players that got us to the playoffs the last 3 years. Dangled a bit on changes having to be made.

If anyone who read this or the Newsday story had a visceral reaction that Lou wasn't being realistic, remember, coaches and GMs don't give up on a season while they're still mathematically alive. Fans do that.
and they certainly don't broadcast to other teams that they are willing to give away the farm for free. he may or may not sell - likely a few small pieces, but in order to maximize return you at least have to give the impression that you dont want to part with the asset in question.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
and they certainly don't broadcast to other teams that they are willing to give away the farm for free. he may or may not sell - likely a few small pieces, but in order to maximize return you at least have to give the impression that you dont want to part with the asset in question.
I don’t think other GMs really go with what Lou “broadcasts”. I’m sure phone calls to/from Lou are made and we rarely find out the substance of the proposals.

Reactions: TeamKidd

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Love in many aspects what Lou has done to provide stability to the organization and respect around the league. I know there are many varying opinions on his job approval. I just have a hard time looking past protecting Martin over Eberle. I know some of that decision was economic. I also know armchair gm's and Monday morning quarterbacking going on here!!!

Ebs is streaky and can be maddening(like a few others), but his presence of the pp would help as he has some good vision, success in shootouts and can deliver the "backhand" of justice.

Thoughts on last night. Bailey- frustrating!! I like Mayfield and think he is so effective in using his body position against the wall and stepping in front of forwards to clear the puck and transition out of the zone. My belief is his presence would be sorely missed if gone and would expose more warts on the backend. Plus, who would fill that role? Hutton? My brain just goes to when many thought Donovan was ready to step in for a departing Mark Streit.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Lou would never say it's over, even if he knows it full well.

Keep the core but make sure to get as many assets as possible at the deadline and weed out those who underperform.

I agree with all this in theory but...In the past as GM on non-playoff teams Lou has actually NOT traded pending UFAs to recoup future picks/prospects. He is as a stubborn "my way of the highway" executive as there is in all of sports. So if he doesn't want to trade any player for whatever reason he won't do so even if it would benefit the team down the road.

Reactions: TeamKidd

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I read the Newsday version of Lou's sitdown with Gross and Kurz. My first thought was "well what did you expect Lou to say?" I certainly don't agree with his take. Lou struck all the right notes, mentioned his disappointment, was loyal to the players that got us to the playoffs the last 3 years.

I completely agree. If Lou is intending to make deals at the TDL, the proper message to send is that you’re not thinking of trading anyone.

It was just last month that Steve Nash on the Nets was asked point blank if the franchise would consider trading James Harden. He looked into the camera and gave a definitive “No”.

48 hrs later Harden was traded.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I completely agree. If Lou is intending to make deals at the TDL, the proper message to send is that you’re not thinking of trading anyone.

It was just last month that Steve Nash on the Nets was asked point blank if the franchise would consider trading James Harden. He looked into the camera and gave a definitive “No”.

48 hrs later Harden was traded.
100% agreed.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I agree with all this in theory but...In the past as GM on non-playoff teams Lou has actually NOT traded pending UFAs to recoup future picks/prospects. He is as a stubborn "my way of the highway" executive as there is in all of sports. So if he doesn't want to trade any player for whatever reason he won't do so even if it would benefit the team down the road.
Problem too is we don't really have good UFA's to be

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Problem too is we don't really have good UFA's to be

Agree on that, but some were calling to trade whatever we can to get back picks/assets and my point was Lou might not do that - Even when it makes perfect sense to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad