Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2021-22 Pt. XIII - Josh Anderson vs Alex DeBrincat vs Kevin Fiala

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Anders Lee is hitting right where he should be. Lou paid him $1M/yr more than he should have. I consider it a reward for Lee's willingness to work with Lou in his UFA year to help the Islanders fit Artemi Panarin in under the salary cap. I'm pretty sure Lee was willing to take less money from the Islanders to do this, when it was likely the Canadiens were offering $7M/yr to Lee.

No. Malkin's got physical issues. Likely to miss significant time every year.
So explain to me how Barzal at $7M per year is over paid but Lee at $7M per year is not when Barzal puts up more points. Both are flawed players and I’m not opposed to trading either player. I just don’t get the hate for Barzal and the love fest for Lee.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
So explain to me how Barzal at $7M per year is over paid but Lee at $7M per year is not when Barzal puts up more points. Both are flawed players and I’m not opposed to trading either player. I just don’t get the hate for Barzal and the love fest for Lee.
Did I just say Lou paid Lee $1M/yr more than he should have?

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Is it that you wouldnt want Fiala, or because it would cost too much to acquire?

I think he would be a great addition, but Im not trading the 23' first or Raty for him

Id much rather have a 27 year old Nichushkin signed 6x6 over a 32 year old Kadri signed 8x5
Colorado has two I would be interested in should we strike out on Forsberg, but again it would be for the right price- and neither of them are Kadri.

Nichushkin broke out in a big way (25/27/52 in 62 which is 33-36-69 P82) and Andre Burakovsky (22/39/61 in 80) had a good season- both of them have good size and don't turn 28 until the turn of the calendar year.

They both had career-highs in shots and really settled in with the Avalanche this year, and they might have to let one go....

I like Valeri's RH shot a little more...

Don't know I would offer either of them 6 million though, and certainly not for 6 years. Maybe 5/25 for Nichushkin and 4/20 for Andre, but definitely in a rather weak market; they are two of a few I would have interest in

JJ18Sniper

Oct 2, 2020
NY
I
Dubois is an RFA with a $6M QO.... there would need to be salary going the other way, I think?
'Yes, most likely. Although if Kakko (RFA) and Chytil (2.3 hit) are part of the deal - you'd have to expect that's 5M or so combined to re-allocate.
It would mean Strome and Copp walk for sure.

Reactions: CupHolders

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Dubois is an RFA with a $6M QO.... there would need to be salary going the other way, I think?
Patrick Nemeth as a dump. But then they still only have about 14m in space with much more lineup holes to fill then the Isles.

So if we think the Isles cap space is limiting, then the Rangers are seemingly worse off.

Up until now I assumed Copp was a definite re-signing for them. With Strome let go. With or without PLD, Copp may be a difficult re-sign.

Does Copp become an option for the Isles?

19 Straight

Jan 25, 2006
New Jersey
The Barzal hate on this board is baffling. I guess some of you would prefer a team of muckers. Let's put a team of Komarovs and Lees and the identity line on the ice every night. The Islanders were exposed this season as a team of old, slow, under-skilled players in a league that is getting younger and faster every season. But sure, let's dump on the most skilled players on the roster and nit pick their deficiencies.

lafellaesobar

Jun 10, 2022
The Barzal hate on this board is baffling. I guess some of you would prefer a team of muckers. Let's put a team of Komarovs and Lees and the identity line on the ice every night. The Islanders were exposed this season as a team of old, slow, under-skilled players in a league that is getting younger and faster every season. But sure, let's dump on the most skilled players on the roster and nit pick their deficiencies.
Barzal needs more skilled players with him, and you can't deny that. The NHL is getting faster, younger, and more skilled now. You can win with grit but you can't overload on grit. it's what happened last year: too many old, slow players who couldn't play in all three zones (looking directly at you Chara). Isles need to look into Girard also. They probably won't be getting much this offseason, and every move must count. I can't take another offseason of Zdeno Chara wanting to play for us being broken by Kevin Weekes in September.

Reactions: periferal

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
It is Trotzitus magnified.

He could do no wrong in their eyes, and Barzal and Wahlstrom's (in particular) inability to adapt and be part of the system (a system mind you that saw us outshot by 320 last season- and finish 3rd to the bottom in the NHL for the 3rd time in his 4 years) is why they get most of the wrath.

I mean they would defend Barry's insistence on giving senior citizens Andy Greene and Zdeno Chara 20 minutes a night in late April when our season was lost instead of Salo and our other youngsters....hell, you could make the same argument that Parise should have gotten the last month off....

I for one can do both, respect what Trotz did for turning this franchise around and netting us two ECF trips while also admitting he simply went too far in his sacrificing of offense for the behest of his defensive system, a system that even those who excelled in it previously jumped ship last year. That and with his stubborn position with youngsters in general when giving veterans more of a free pass for the same or worse mistakes....

He is gone, they should move on and hope Lambert can instill some more balance that doesn't get us outshot 4 times a night every night...

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
So Lee is a known commodity and that gives him a free pass to under achieve? Barzal puts up more points than Lee for the same cap hit. You call out Barzal but are ok with Lee? And don’t give me any of that leadership crap. We didn’t see any of that help last years team. You are just being a hypocrite and have something against Barzal.
Lou overpaid to keep Lee an Islander as an UFA with the guy averaging 35G per season for the three years prior. He is a known commodity, but he's also producing.

Barzal is all hopes, dreams, projections, excuses, potential, whatever anyone can think of around here, and was provided a huge bridge contract that he certainly has underperformed on. Barzal has not performed at $7M for year 1, $7M year 2, and let's see about year 3 of his deal. Barzal is acceptable at $4-5M, but certainly not at $7M. So, yes, he's overpaid.

Reactions: MJF

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
The Barzal hate on this board is baffling.
Dissenting opinion is not hate. I'd be more than happy that Barzal learned to play a north/south game, use his wingers, shoot the puck, produce on the PP, OT, and in the SHO and be a #1 C, but he's not. Maybe he gets there, but it's going to be on HIM to do so. What makes him 'unique' also makes him very hard to play with. While the game appears to be changing to a faster pace, one still has to play in that dynamic. Certainly, in situations when there are LESS players on the ice, this would be more favorable to him (PP, OT, SHO), but so far, it has not.

Trotz is not to blame for Barzal disappearing in the 1st quarter of the season, playing DOWN to the AHL level of talent the Isles were forced to play - premier players play ABOVE that, so, yeah spare me the kool-aid. He has flaws in his game that have nothing to do with who is winger is or coach is. There are other players on worse teams outperforming him and certainly costing a LOT less. If Barzal was paid $2M less, less to question, and also the Isles have cap/cash to use to improve the team.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Lou overpaid to keep Lee an Islander as an UFA with the guy averaging 35G per season for the three years prior. He is a known commodity, but he's also producing.

Barzal is all hopes, dreams, projections, excuses, potential, whatever anyone can think of around here, and was provided a huge bridge contract that he certainly has underperformed on. Barzal has not performed at $7M for year 1, $7M year 2, and let's see about year 3 of his deal. Barzal is acceptable at $4-5M, but certainly not at $7M. So, yes, he's overpaid.
That is just plain weak of an argument.

Despite all of Barzal struggles (again because he has played with poop on his wings) it makes absolutely no sense the argument you present...

Somehow, someway Anders Lee who has a per82 point average of 51.7 AND MISSED 40 plus games is "producing" at his 7 million salary but Mathew Barzal who has a per82 of 66.6, while missing only 1/3 of what Lee has missed.... isn't living up to his and should be paid only 4-5 million.

And that is with both of them coming in at a +/- of zero while on the ice.

That is beyond absurd....

Maybe it isn't hate, but it certainly is warped logic...

Reactions: SI

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
That is just plain weak of an argument.

Despite all of Barzal struggles (again because he has played with poop on his wings) it makes absolutely no sense the argument you present...

Somehow, someway Anders Lee who has a per82 point average of 51.7 AND MISSED 40 plus games is "producing" at his 7 million salary but Mathew Barzal who has a per82 of 66.6, while missing only 1/3 of what Lee has missed.... isn't living up to his and should be paid only 4-5 million.

And that is with both of them coming in at a +/- of zero while on the ice.

That is beyond absurd....
Never said how Lee was producing, saying why he was paid the money he was. Once guy was paid as a UFA, the other guy was paid as a RFA on the belief he would improve. We'll see what happens with Barzal this season. New coach, maybe new players, and a new contract to play for. Color me surprised he meets the lofty projections people are placing him.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Never said how Lee was producing, saying why he was paid the money he was. We'll see what happens with Barzal this season. New coach, maybe new players, and a new contract to play for. Color me surprised he meets the lofty projections people are placing him.
You did in fact justify Lee with a "he is still producing" and did not AT ALL indicate he should be paid only 4-5 million like you did Barzal who is averaging 15 more points a game and hasn't missed near the time Lee has. It is a silly argument to suggest Matty hasn't lived up to his 7 million on its face really. 7 million for a 70 point scorer is about the standard, 8 for 80, 9 for 90 and you are paying double digits plus for the century guys is about where the NHL is....

Your whole argument (including the denial of what Barzal has had to play with- even when it is clearly shown to you) is weak sauce.

I absolutely GUARANTEE you put a Forsberg type on that wing (and Wahlstrom on the other side IMO would only further that guarantee) and he becomes a 25-65-90 player and likely much, much more...

I mean seriously, we are talking about a meager 4 goals and 15 assists here above his average. Do the anti-Barzalians on here actually think he can't do that with a Filip or Johnny G. type on that top line???

Absolutely insane, of course he can....

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Just $1M? You are being very generous.
If Lee was paid the same $6M/yr that Brock Nelson gets would you be complaining?

If Lou tried to lowball Lee with a $4Mx7 contract he would have walked and I wouldn’t have blamed him one bit.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Dissenting opinion is not hate. I'd be more than happy that Barzal learned to play a north/south game, use his wingers, shoot the puck, produce on the PP, OT, and in the SHO and be a #1 C, but he's not. Maybe he gets there, but it's going to be on HIM to do so. What makes him 'unique' also makes him very hard to play with. While the game appears to be changing to a faster pace, one still has to play in that dynamic. Certainly, in situations when there are LESS players on the ice, this would be more favorable to him (PP, OT, SHO), but so far, it has not.

Trotz is not to blame for Barzal disappearing in the 1st quarter of the season, playing DOWN to the AHL level of talent the Isles were forced to play - premier players play ABOVE that, so, yeah spare me the kool-aid. He has flaws in his game that have nothing to do with who is winger is or coach is. There are other players on worse teams outperforming him and certainly costing a LOT less. If Barzal was paid $2M less, less to question, and also the Isles have cap/cash to use to improve the team.
I might chime in that he (and others as well) disappeared noticeably in the last quarterish of the season also.That's when all the "Barry lost the room" stuff surfaced. Maybe he had a down year and hopefully wirh a "new voice", he will become a player (I'll use the word leader) that does not play down to the level of his linemates but does elevate them.

Let's just call the elephant in the room by name

Matt Barzal helped get Barry fired

Here's hoping he has a great salary drive and produces like his potential suggests he can.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
OK - I can get behind all that, but you didn't address Anderson...Who shouldn't even be "plan Z."
Not going to argue with you about Anderson- it seems like you made up your mind.

I like Anderson and rate him highly - I like his toughness, size, board battle, skill and shot. I don’t believe many Canadiens fans actually want him moved.

Sometimes these proposals are just that - you put together deals and ideas and concepts and float them out there to be discussed. They are not posted to like “BE AT” you or offend anyone- they are simply offerings or musings.

I don’t love the idea of trading the 13 pick or trading down either, but the only real player I see that pick being moved for is Fiala (or Chycrun).

I am moving on from Anderson - I think we al should

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Did I just say Lou paid Lee $1M/yr more than he should have?
Just $1M? You are being very generous

Barzal puts up more points than Lee. How can you say Lee is producing and Barzal is not. That’s delusional. I am open to trading both. I think there would be a big market for Barzal and I think we would need to pay to dump Lee’s contract. I don’t get your love for Lee and hate for Barzal.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I might chime in that he (and others as well) disappeared noticeably in the last quarterish of the season also.That's when all the "Barry lost the room" stuff surfaced. Maybe he had a down year and hopefully wirh a "new voice", he will become a player (I'll use the word leader) that does not play down to the level of his linemates but does elevate them.

Here's hoping he has a great salary drive and produces like his potential suggests he can.
Back to back conference finals
Crazy ass schedule
His injury

Nothing to do with it.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
If Lee was paid the same $6M/yr that Brock Nelson gets would you be complaining?

If Lou tried to lowball Lee with a $4Mx7 contract he would have walked and I wouldn’t have blamed him one bit.
I’d still be complaining . You talk about the Isles need to get younger and faster to keep up with how the league is changing. I don’t disagree with that premise. Which is why I would start by moving Lee’s contract. Nothing would send a louder message that change is needed by moving the captain.

Reactions: CRYHAVOC

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island

Noone hs any idea if Barzal was involved in getting Trotz fired. Lou has fired several coaches over the past 30+ years. For all we know Trotz told Lou he wanted some time with family, and Lou fired him to make sure Trotz got paid.

He does not play down to his linemates. Lets stop expecting Barzal to make the Leo Komarovs of the world into 1st line players. You cant make chicken soup with chicken shit.

• Haha
Reactions: SayItAintSoJohnny

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Back to back conference finals
Crazy ass schedule
His injury

Nothing to do with it.
Didn't say that. I said maybe he had a down year and that with a new voice, I'm hoping he rebounds and has a good year

Sports is such where there usually one clear cut explanation as to a player not performing up to expectations. I think about Russell Westbrook's season in LA

I do think that SOME responsibility has to fall on the player in most cases and hopefully while still being young, he can learn to look at his part, grow a little, and be a good, productive player on a team that needs him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad