Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2021-22 Pt. XIII - Josh Anderson vs Alex DeBrincat vs Kevin Fiala

Status
Not open for further replies.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
He wasn’t last season.
This is true. Had Lee came in at an unsustainable 22% he would have had 36 which would have been right on Brock's tail, but ultimately fallen short.

Nelson had his best season for sure, I am hopeful he can put up a couple more 30 goal seasons, even if he never shoots at that number again

hockeyfanplayer

Dec 14, 2021
The Islanders are one of the least dynamic teams in the league and people want us to trade Barzal? Jeez...

Let's see what he can do under Lambert first. If his play doesn't elevate itself then we might we talking in a year, but anyone who remembers him playing under the gung-ho style of Weight knows what he is capable of.
Its easy to look good in a system that requires you to play little or no defense. You forget the Isles gave up a huge amount of goals:

"However, the team had the sixth-most turnovers in the NHL last season (920) and allowed the most goals per game (3.57).

Questionable Decisions​

In addition to questionable lineup decisions, there were also eyebrow-raising coaching decisions. During the preseason, Weight introduced a new defensive strategy focused on letting their goaltenders see the puck more and it backfired completely. The team allowed a league-worst 35.6 shots on goal per game and that resulted in allowing the most goals, 293."

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island
As unlikely as it is - the closer free agency gets Forsberg testing the market is more hopeful.

Forsberg should be plan A.

It possibly means Isles don’t move 13 OA and draft a good young prospect.

As for the D - Hague would be my main target with another D signed at Free agency - maybe Leddy again at a reasonable cost.

All on board for this and probably should be the way to go. Would have to move 2 of Bailey/Beau/Varly to make this work but I wouldn't be opposed to picks and prospects for Bailey and Beau to improve the farm. Could sign someone like Mikheyev to fill in the middle 6

Forsberg-Barzal-Wally
Lee-Nelson-Palms
Parise-JPG-Mikheyev
MM-CC-CC
Bellows/RJ

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
So, now we are back to Trotz and his system are to blame, yet the TEAM had success under Trotz?

Lee, 31, is a known commodity and his salary is what it is. No one is projecting 'ifs, buts, what ifs' etc. on Lee, like Barzal and his 'potential.'
So Lee is a known commodity and that gives him a free pass to under achieve? Barzal puts up more points than Lee for the same cap hit. You call out Barzal but are ok with Lee? And don’t give me any of that leadership crap. We didn’t see any of that help last years team. You are just being a hypocrite and have something against Barzal.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
NYI's ability to go after J Hockey or Forsberg is completely dependent upon moving Josh Bailey before free agency begins, or they create a dangerous situation with Dobson. They can imo take more time moving Beauvillier or Varlamov (if necessary).

If, as unlikely as that seams, NYI deal for Forsberg, they ought to move Wahlstrom for help elsewhere. If Wahlstrom is not going to be getting significant PP time setting up that shot, and he wouldn't with Forsberg + Palmieri (not to mention Pulock), I think you waste what he does best.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
That's a reminder that Beau fit in really, really well on RW with Lee/Nelson. If we manage to send Bailey's contract away and then also trade Beau, who provides the playmaking on RW for Lee and Nelson? I don't think we're ready to pencil Holmstrom in on the 2nd line just yet, and I don't see anyone else in the organization who would fill that need.
As much as people say Isles need scoring up front a lack of play makers is a real issue. Isles have very few forwards that I would consider consistent play makers.

Reactions: doublechili

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
To those who don’t feel Barzal is a true 1C, would you go after Malkin if he hits free agency?

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
So Lee is a known commodity and that gives him a free pass to under achieve? Barzal puts up more points than Lee for the same cap hit. You call out Barzal but are ok with Lee? And don’t give me any of that leadership crap. We didn’t see any of that help last years team. You are just being a hypocrite and have something against Barzal.
I've no dog in the fight re criticism of Barzal. (I want to keep him, but instead of forcing to be a Trotzian style center, either play a way that suits his game, or move him to the wing).

In defense of Lee, I think it is an incredible success that he played as well as he did the year coming back from a knee injury. It's very common for athletes to perform worse the year after an injury even if there is a full restoration of strength + range of motion. People might call the reason 'psychological'. I don't necessarily disagree *however* I don't distinguish psychological & physical in the way others do. Still, scoring 28 goals after major knee surgery is a wild success, and I'd call out anyone calling that out.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
To those who don’t feel Barzal is a true 1C, would you go after Malkin if he hits free agency?
No, but that's because he'll be a 35+ contract, and I worry about his durability at this point. As a player, he'd be an ideal C to pair with a a Barzal winger. That combo could be scary scary good.

JJ18Sniper

Oct 2, 2020
NY

Going to be frustrating when NYR find a way solidify their center ice position while only costing one of their underperforming lottery balls (Kakko +).

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
I've no dog in the fight re criticism of Barzal. (I want to keep him, but instead of forcing to be a Trotzian style center, either play a way that suits his game, or move him to the wing).

In defense of Lee, I think it is an incredible success that he played as well as he did the year coming back from a knee injury. It's very common for athletes to perform worse the year after an injury even if there is a full restoration of strength + range of motion. People might call the reason 'psychological'. I don't necessarily disagree *however* I don't distinguish psychological & physical in the way others do. Still, scoring 28 goals after major knee surgery is a wild success, and I'd call out anyone calling that out.
Very true what you say about Lee. I don’t have anything against Lee or Barzal. Both are flawed players. I’m just puzzled by people who criticize Barzal and think Lee is not a problem.

Ordinarily I would agree with your thoughts on Lee returning from injury but his game doesn’t rely on his skating. He scores from rebounds and deflections. His scoring last year was in line with his career numbers.

I do think Lee is what he is. I don’t see him raising his game at this point in his career. Barzal is younger and in theory can still raise his game. Whether that happens is a guess.

Going to be frustrating when NYR find a way solidify their center ice position while only costing one of their underperforming lottery balls (Kakko +).

Rangers will need to send salary back in addition to a lottery ball.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The jury is still out on him, IMHO. He can't carry a team, this much is clear (and won't change); I wonder what he could do with true top-line skill on his wing. The clock is ticking on him; truthfully, if he doesn't improve his production this next season that should earn him a pay cut.
This is exactly my point. And since I don't expect Barzal to accept a pay cut I would be willing to hear offers for Barzal now and not wait until he hits free agency.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
All on board for this and probably should be the way to go. Would have to move 2 of Bailey/Beau/Varly to make this work but I wouldn't be opposed to picks and prospects for Bailey and Beau to improve the farm. Could sign someone like Mikheyev to fill in the middle 6

Forsberg-Barzal-Wally
Lee-Nelson-Palms
Parise-JPG-Mikheyev
MM-CC-CC
Bellows/RJ
Yes, since the likelihood that Johnny G even becomes a free-agent is slim to none, Filip is the ideal target for the many reasons we all know, particularly being able to keep most of our limited assets, which may even include our 13OA.

For me it begins with Josh Bailey and Lou being able to move him for the cap savings. I just don't see how a 50 pt scorer who can still play Top6 minutes and help on both special teams as well as only having 7 million cash owed to him would have to be included with an asset to move. I know Beau is getting the more ink right now, but I would still prefer it be Josh that gets moved.

If Lou can somehow get that done, it will put us at 17 million. Hopefully you are able to sign Dobson for around 4 million on a bridge deal, leaving us at 13.

To get Forsberg inked, they are going to have to give him close to 9 million, which means 6/53 or 7/60 or something close to it; either way it is going to be that cap hit or close to it. It is not ideal to be attached to a deal that will pay him into his age 33 or 34 season, but he is a "difference maker" and would be the exact type of player Barzal needs on that top line. His career per-82 is 33/37/70 (finally giving the Islanders another 70 pt producer) that has only gotten better over the last 3 seasons (36/43/79) thanks largely to his career best 42-42-84 mark last year he put up in only 69 games.

As for LD, where we really need two- one to solidify the top 4 and the other to at least battle Salo for the 3rd pairing, we will be hard-pressed to get them into the fold for only 4 million, but it is possible.

I think Hague would be a tough get since he is probably getting qualified and it would take an offer sheet to net him (which is more than we can afford) or a trade that also requires more assets than we care to give in an ideal off-season. He is going to want (and likely will get) an extension wherever he winds up.

No, I think there are better options out there for the price, even if the player wouldn't be as attractive. Seattle's Carson Soucy (2.75 million) would be an example, and he shouldn't cost any of our top 5 assets (2023 1st, Wahlstrom, 13OA, Raty or Beau). A second round pick perhaps for his expiring contract and maybe Bolduc??

Minnesota is also trying to shed salary, and D Dmitry Kulikov has fallen out of favor with them (struggled in games 1 and 5 vs Blues and was healthy scratch in the 3 games in between) and is on the block. A prospect package sending Bellows back home where his father was a legend and a mid-to-late pick might get that done. He is due only 2.25 million on a final year...

In the below example I use Soucy, who obviously has the more upside. Then it would be finding another for the 1-2 million range on the free-agent market. I dont think you are getting Leddy back for that price, but they should be able to find some candidates for that 3rd line at that that number and with some minor tinkering, they could possibly find a way to get both the guys I mentioned above....

Forsberg (8.5)- Barzal (7)- Wahlstrom (.9)
Lee (7)- Nelson (6)- Palmieri (5)
Parise (.8)- JGP (5)- Beau (4.2)
Martin (1.5)- Cizikas (2.5)- Clutterbuck (1.8)

Bellows (.9)

Pelech (5.8)- Pulock (6.2)
Soucy (2.8)- Dobson (4)
FA (1.5)- Mayfield (1.5)

Salo (.9)

Sorokin (4)- Varlamov (5)

Total: 81.9

Awfully close....

Obviously moving another (Beau/Varlamov) is still possible, but it may not be necessary....alot depends I guess on how realistic other youngsters are ready to contribute (Holmstrom, etc)

Last edited:

lafellaesobar

Jun 10, 2022
Now I really want Kadri but we won't be anywhere close. Free Agency for isles fans is like being a poor kid during christmas. You are never gonna outbid the rich kids, and even when you do, they don't wanna come here because of their wife or because of you playing in two arenas at once.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Anders Lee is hitting right where he should be. Lou paid him $1M/yr more than he should have. I consider it a reward for Lee's willingness to work with Lou in his UFA year to help the Islanders fit Artemi Panarin in under the salary cap. I'm pretty sure Lee was willing to take less money from the Islanders to do this, when it was likely the Canadiens were offering $7M/yr to Lee.

No. Malkin's got physical issues. Likely to miss significant time every year.

lafellaesobar

Jun 10, 2022
Malkin is aging, old, and his brain is getting progressively worse. I would rather get Kadri, make Barzal a winger and have Nelson play 1C until then

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Someone is backing up the Brink truck to sign Kadri, based on his playoff heroics and more importantly his "out of norm" 28-59-87 (which translates to a 100pts because he only played in 71 games) season, when the dude has never come close to that production in his career.

He was a per-82 of 21-30-51 (about half of what he did last season) the previous three years.

Let someone else pay 8 million+ for multiple years for the 32-year old....

For the millionth time, it doesn't need to be us.....

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Given his effort level causing him to disappear way too frequently given his size/talent, the only way I'd do so if he somehow cost less than 4M/year. Since that will never happen...

No.

lafellaesobar

Jun 10, 2022
Someone is backing up the Brink truck to sign Kadri, based on his playoff heroics and more importantly his "out of norm" 28-59-87 (which translates to a 100pts because he only played in 71 games) season, when the dude has never come close to that production in his career.

He was a per-82 of 21-30-51 (about half of what he did last season) the previous three years.

do you want talent or do you want another Leo Komarov?

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Is it that you wouldnt want Fiala, or because it would cost too much to acquire?

I think he would be a great addition, but Im not trading the 23' first or Raty for him

Id much rather have a 27 year old Nichushkin signed 6x6 over a 32 year old Kadri signed 8x5

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
do you want talent or do you want another Leo Komarov?
Talent of course.

But at a reasonable cost. I am not giving Kardi 8 million a season based on a single year of lights out production when he was a 50pt producer the previous three.

Especially for multi-years, which he will get when he is one of a few good talents who are out there....

Plus if we are giving someone that kind of cash (and complicating the upcoming contracts that Barzal, Sorokin and even Dobson are going to need in 1-2 years) it better be someone who is on the right side of 30, not the wrong side....or he better be a true difference maker, which Kadri isn't

Considering we have four centers under contract and signing him and moving Matty or Brock to the wing is simply a "hopeful successful project"- and all the things I mentioned above, it is a hard pass for me.

Now if he wants to sign for 3/18 or 4/20 (which he won't)....bring him on board...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad