Speculation: Roster Improvements - Part II

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Sorry guys and Gals, Main board says we are TDL losers

photo.jpg

I think people are just forgetting that unlike most other d that have been traded (whome some have been a bit cheaper I admit but not much) that Coburn isn't a rental, that he has a season left on his contract and that makes him a bit more costly but worth it for a guy like Yzerman and they also don't take our teams needs into consideration, I mean, we don't need more offense from our defensmen, we need someone who can be solid defensivly so some defensmen wouldn't fit with our team even if we could get them cheaper.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Bit disappointed Yzerman didn't go for a good LW or another forward :(

Our D was the main concern, well also our PP but that is more of an execution issue and plan than the personnel. Adding another forward would not have really done much when we have so much depth already, and it gives Drouin an opportunity to get more ice time now.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Yzerman stated only get 4 call-ups from Syracuse after TDL. He does not want to use unless he has to and they already used two in Vasya and Nesterov after being on the Syracuse roster for the paper transaction. So only two transactions left. At the moment Vladdy stays in Syracuse and they are not bringing another body in. Going with 12 forwards...and he said how good they play will determine ice time.

Yzerman also stated...Cooper and Bowness will determine defensive pairings. Cooper and Yzerman have discussed it - but ultimately they'll probably do a bunch of mix and match and see what works best.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Thanks everyone for the presser transcription. Still a bit sad we lost Connolly but I trust Yzerman enough trading for a Coburn type of dman was the right decision. Our scoring depth gets a little worse depth at defense is drastically improved though. As a side note it feels great Nesterov has earned some confidence from the coaching staff.

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
If anyone was hoping that Carle got moved I'm actually glad he didn't.

it will be very nice having him as a 3rd pairing and if something happens to the top 4 he will come in handy.

Saying this I also want to say that as soon as possible after we win the cup Carle goes for free even if we have to give the other team a draft pic or something.

I mean this year our cap/payroll does not get effected having Carle. Next year we can't afford to pay him as a 3rd pairing guy. and without him we have a whole season to look at our youth in a 3rd pairing setting.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Yzerman said (quick paraphrase):

* On Gudas and Connolly - Good Young players, popular in the room and city... if you're gonna trade, have to give up assets. Felt the need to have best chance to win

* Coburn has a lot of hockey left. Good skater, stay at home, minutes, like Heds but not as offensively... now burden off Stralman Nesterov Barbs, Sustr. Didn't mention Carle so that should tell you where he should slot when he returns. Asked about being on the radar, price was right? No question he was expensive, but basically he said if you're not prepared to pay, don't bother. Other similar deals. Term has value.

* Calling the players (traded), not saying he's more at ease with it but calls are short, doesn't enjoy it. Good young men. Part of the job though.

Two firsts made it easier, if only one would not have done it. Opportunity to get a 2nd back
TBF it seems like he didn't mention Garrison either.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Joe Smith ‏@TBTimes_JSmith
Matt Carle, Coburn's former PHI teammate, calls day bittersweet. Labels d-core "enticing." "Come playoff time, we'll be a dangerous team"

What the **** does that mean? Enticing? I don't think that's the right choice of word, Matt.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Matt Carle, Coburn's former PHI teammate, calls day bittersweet. Labels d-core "enticing." "Come playoff time, we'll be a dangerous team"

What the **** does that mean? Enticing? I don't think that's the right choice of word, Matt.

He's not exactly known for his IQ :help:

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013

Also what is bittersweet? I don't get it.

Edit: Connolly leaving?

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
Obviously it was unlikely after the Coburn deal anyway, but I'm disappointed to see that Wisniewski ultimately was moved, and it didn't even take a first to get him (granted, I'm not too familiar about William Karlsson and who the Lightning organizational equivalent would be of him, but then again, we know this system doesn't hurt with prospects). He fit a need better than Coburn does, I feel. If Wiz wasn't coming here, then I was hoping he would be using his limited NMC to stay in Columbus.

I mean, better he go to a Western team than an Eastern team, so it's not the worst thing, just doesn't sit very well I guess.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Obviously it was unlikely after the Coburn deal anyway, but I'm disappointed to see that Wisniewski ultimately was moved, and it didn't even take a first to get him (granted, I'm not too familiar about William Karlsson and who the Lightning organizational equivalent would be of him, but then again, we know this system doesn't hurt with prospects). He fit a need better than Coburn does, I feel. If Wiz wasn't coming here, then I was hoping he would be using his limited NMC to stay in Columbus.

I mean, better he go to a Western team than an Eastern team, so it's not the worst thing, just doesn't sit very well I guess.

I'm happy enough with Coburn but I get what you're saying. It feels like we left things incomplete. Why not swap a 2nd for Zidlicky? I don't quite get it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad