Speculation: Roster Improvements - Part II

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Isn't he waiver-exposed next year anyway?

I still think it's > 50% he's gone by camp. Maybe at the draft. Which is a credit to him. He got too good, too fast. I really don't want to see him plugging a bottom-six W role when that's just not what he's suited to.

I think we either have to move him along or make room for him at C. I'd prefer the former.

Yeah, most likely moved at the draft, there's no way he's beating out Filppula next season.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
We have a ton of money wrapped up in defense. Can't pay a guy 5+ million to play third pairing minutes. Thats a discussion for the off season though, Carle-Sustr is a pretty good third pairing

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Isn't he waiver-exposed next year anyway?

I still think it's > 50% he's gone by camp. Maybe at the draft. Which is a credit to him. He got too good, too fast. I really don't want to see him plugging a bottom-six W role when that's just not what he's suited to.

I think we either have to move him along or make room for him at C. I'd prefer the former.

I've been plugging Vladdy into trade proposals for about a month on the Trade Boards because I don't want to see that kind of talent being squandered even if it is on us. There's deserving teams around the league that could use a good two-way centerman.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I've been plugging Vladdy into trade proposals for about a month on the Trade Boards because I don't want to see that kind of talent being squandered even if it is on us. There's deserving teams around the league that could use a good two-way centerman.

Agreed. Honestly, I had sort of the same feeling about Connolly. There are times when it's just best for the player and you don't want to see a disservice done to him by keeping him on a team where, at best, his road to job security is going to be very, very difficult.

It's mostly a timing thing. I wish Vlad was 19. Then, in two years, something could open up. Unfortunately for him, we do have guys who are 19 (or the contract-status equivalent). That plays into it too.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
We have a ton of money wrapped up in defense. Can't pay a guy 5+ million to play third pairing minutes. Thats a discussion for the off season though, Carle-Sustr is a pretty good third pairing

I'd really be surprised to see Carle play "third pairing minutes". He'll probably level out at 15-18 minutes but with reduced (as in evenly spread) responsibilities. People really give this guy too much crap. Of course he's not a #1 or #2 but the past several weeks (months) have shown us how much of a contributor and impact player he is. Same thing with Brewer a year or two ago. Or even Hedman. Look at Stralman these past few weeks. Overwork a guy, force him (primarily due to injuries) to play in over his head for too long and he'll play like ****. Carle is not a flashy player, far from it, but if used right (2nd/3rd pairing + PK time) he'll get the job done as good as anybody.

/Carle-apologist

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'd really be surprised to see Carle play "third pairing minutes". He'll probably level out at 15-18 minutes but with reduced (as in evenly spread) responsibilities. People really give this guy too much crap. Of course he's not a #1 or #2 but the past several weeks (months) have shown us how much of a contributor and impact player he is. Same thing with Brewer a year or two ago. Or even Hedman. Overwork a guy, force him (primarily due to injuries) to play in over his head for too long and he'll play like ****. Carle is not a flashy player, far from it, but if used right (2nd/3rd pairing with a couple shifts on the PK) he'll get the job done as good as anybody.

/Carle-apologist

You go, girl!

Carle, slotted properly, and on the proper side, is fine. He might be too expensive to keep long-term, but for this year he's going to be a luxury.

I also see no way his minutes get drastically cut. Time and time again Cooper has shown faith in Carle over other players. Carle's icetime was close to 21 minutes per night. It might drop a little bit from that, but I wouldn't expect anything drastic.

Even Strength Icetime/GP:

#1. Matt Carle - 17:50
#2. Victor Hedman - 17:29

c_robio

Feb 3, 2006
Unless Coburn is extended (hopefully), I think it will be fine to have Carle play out his contract here. It doesn't run into the Palat,Johnson,Hedman,Drouin year so I don't think it will cause a cap problem

It's a lot to pay if he's on the 3rd pairing but he'll still play a lot of minutes and if there's an injury in the top 4 then Garrison can always slide over and we don't need to push any of the young kids into a top 4 they aren't ready for like Sustr this season

I still think there's room to consider a top 6 winger as long as the contract doesn't run past 2017

Since Yzerman won't trade for a rental I had a look ahead at the 2017 UFA class and a guy that jumps out at me is Patrick Sharp.

He's got Cups, Plays C and W, Right Hand shot, Plays the Point on the PP.

Chicago has been looking to move him in a deal that involves Cap relief. I think he likely gets traded by the draft. Maybe a deal involving Killorn, who I think we won't be able to afford once he's getting around 4 on his next deal would make sense.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Vladdy will not have played 160 NHL games. Therefore the rules state that he can pass through waivers for whatever happens first - 160 NHL games or 4 seasons after his 20 year old season in which he plays his first AHL/NHL game.

He will be able to pass through waivers next year - his final season of eligibility unless he plays 160 NHL games whichever comes first. I don't see an issue whatsoever keeping Vladdy in the AHL next year.

Signed Contract - 2012.
First Season with Syracuse Crunch - 2012/2013 played 44 games.
Total NHL games - 30 games dressed

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Vladdy will not have played 160 NHL games. Therefore the rules state that he can pass through waivers for whatever happens first - 160 NHL games or 4 seasons after his 20 year old season in which he plays his first AHL/NHL game.

He will be able to pass through waivers next year - his final season of eligibility unless he plays 160 NHL games whichever comes first. I don't see an issue whatsoever keeping Vladdy in the AHL next year.

Signed Contract - 2012.
First Season with Syracuse Crunch - 2012/2013 played 44 games.
Total NHL games - 30 games dressed
It's 3 seasons, not 4. It's only 4 for goaltenders

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
It's 3 seasons, not 4. It's only 4 for goaltenders

I see that now - thnx for correction. 3 seasons after his 20 year old season if he hasn't burned his first season by playing/dressing for 11 games in the NHL as a 18/19 yr old. So yeah - Vladdy has to pass through waivers. Big decision next year on him.

We can move Paquette down to 4th line...play Filp on the wing and have Vladdy play his natural spot at Center on third line.

I'm partial to:

Killorn/Stammer/Drouin vs Drouin/Stammer/Callahan

Filp/Vladdy/Callahan would make one of the most expensive third lines in the NHL.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I have trouble not seeing one or two veterans moved in the next 2 years, particularly if Coburn does as expected, he'll get re-signed.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Another wrinkle though...it states:

"At the conclusion of the season ending in the year in which they turned 23".

Does his birthday play in our favor...he'll be 23 in November 2015. Which means his waiver eligibility would end at the end of next year. His 20 year old season started last year (2013-2014) not 2012-2013. Am I interpreting this correctly?

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
gonna give the whatever anyone who thinks vladdy is moved is crazy why would we move him with morrow or jt brown?

Now if we add a stud power forward boyle type or something but not many out there.

Vladdy already proved can pk for our NHL team so ya this is just weird I dont get all the he cant play forward stuff I have seen on here either. He is fine wherever imho he is upgrade over killorn already.

So expect morrow not resigned jt brown moved for a pick. Killorn moved for salary reasons just cause.

Vladdy and erne making the team. But im the guy who said all along I see vladdy on lower lines when you all disagreed even last year. He is solid two way player great speed good vision a bus driver for whomever he plays with YOU DONT MOVE those.

This is not connolly people this kid has mad skill and HUGE HOCKEY IQ he is going no where EXCEPT

EXCEPT EXCEPT ONLY IF IS A LARGE DEAL and he is a PIECE maybe not even major or the major piece.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
In what world is Namestnikov better than Killorn? He's a decent 2 way player, nothing great and gets destroyed by bigger guys.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
In what world is Namestnikov better than Killorn? He's a decent 2 way player, nothing great and gets destroyed by bigger guys.

Vladdy can skate is another Johnson palat type of player. We like guys with speed in are top 9. I don't see vladdy being traded unless we get something legit we want back. I don't see Killorn being moved this summer because we moved connolly. Unless we want money for a fa forward or something. Or If erne comes in but I see him taking morrows role if he does come in.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com

I get killorns versatality. I get how well he has played for the team but he is not a DRIVER OF THE BUS

So if you have A. guy who is better two way player B. guy who has more hockey IQ vision and over all skill.

='s C. The guy with lesser attributes GETS MOVED.

You can argue I have been pretty right so far as mentioned before I see something in guys maybe some others miss? Kucherov palat etc.. that maybe some people overlook.

Killorn wont be moved unless we must but also vladdy wont be moved.

VLADDY will flat out be the better player in every way shape and form to alex killorn.

When he comes next year some of you will get that which dont yet.

Mark my words call me on it if you can:)

Erne will also be better is just what it is.

Some guys have that extra some guys are just a little below etc..

killorn has been fine but his time is almost up.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I get killorns versatality. I get how well he has played for the team but he is not a DRIVER OF THE BUS

So if you have A. guy who is better two way player B. guy who has more hockey IQ vision and over all skill.

You can argue I have been pretty right so far as mentioned before I see something in guys maybe some others miss? Kucherov palat etc.. that maybe some people overlook.

VLADDY will flat out be the better player in every way shape and form to alex killorn.

Depends what the team's needs are though. It doesn't come down to a strict matter of who's better than whom. Right now we don't have much need for a speedy, skilled forward, particularly a center. We have like 7 of them. We have more on the way.

The advantage Killer has over a lot of players is we can slip him into the bottom six and he'll excel there. Vladdy doesn't seem to be that type of player, unless he's centering the 3rd line. But Paquette looks like a better option for that role, long term.

Killer can be replaced, but it's more likely to be by a similar player to himself than a guy like Namestnikov.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Depends what the team's needs are though. It doesn't come down to a strict matter of who's better than whom. Right now we don't have much need for a speedy, skilled forward, particularly a center. We have like 7 of them. We have more on the way.

The advantage Killer has over a lot of players is we can slip him into the bottom six and he'll excel there. Vladdy doesn't seem to be that type of player, unless he's centering the 3rd line. But Paquette looks like a better option for that role, long term.

Killer can be replaced, but it's more likely to be by a similar player to himself than a guy like Namestnikov.

i disagree but you guys have traditional views over what is best for the team imo.

I mean bunches of you like erne must be top six connolly had to be top six or is a waste so will vladdy have to be etc..

I think steve thinks more who gives me the most opportunity to win.

To me that gives nods to vladdy's over killers sooner rather then later and jt browns of the world just saying.

All four lines will be a threat.

WILL NOT SAY some of these kids wont get traded for boyle types bottom physical enforcers with skills etc.. but we will ride them unless something comes along where can be more traditional.

Just my take on steves mind we will see what is right in time:)

Good news is everyone on team except morrow has value lol

so basically here on out we are always gonna get good value on whatever we do:)

I dont see him bringing nothing really that truly helps us. Sorry to feel that way but he is just not good enough anymore. put someone down there with skill and speed with brown and boyle we are dangerous again imo so I expect someone up sooner this year.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

I don't see killorn being moved till yzerman feels vladdy and erne are both nhl ready. but one thing is for sure yzerman feels vladdy is nhl ready right now said it on wdae! that vladdy is only down there because i don't want him playing 4th line min's. But ask yourself this the guy that clicks with stamkos the most right now is alex killorn. So maybe killorn goes no where till drouin can be that winger for stamkos that we know he can be. As for matt carle I don't think you can move him because if hedman, garrison, coburn or stralman go down i'd rather have him in my top 4 then sustr or barberio. So i'm hoping the cap goes up at least 2 million this summer! but the next year with stamkos raise something is going to need to move out flipper ? carle ? Garrison ? or coburn not being resigned ? Or if you got faith in vasy do you move bishop ? and let wilcox or guds back him up in bishops last year in his deal ? if you sign wilcox ? be prepared are cap nightmare is coming after stamkos and kucherov get there deals.

c_robio

Feb 3, 2006

I tend to agree with you that Killorn would be moved first. Mostly because I think he'll be a luxury we can't afford past 2017

His Versatility is great but I think Paquette can do that job even better and on a cheaper contract and he plays every forward position.

Paquette is probably at his best at C but he also gives us tremendous flexibility if he isn't locked into being the 3rd line C. I would pencil him there though long term if Namestnikov was ever traded

I'd like to put Namestnikov next to Filppula on a 2 way line. He is basically a younger Filppula when I watch him. I think he could learn well there and then take over the reigns as the 3rd line C

Last edited:

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
I think the bottom pair will be Carle - Sustr
Healthy scratch/7D Barberio
Crunch Nesterov

Maybe not right away, but I would be surprised if Carle isn't second pairing with either Stralman or Coburn.

Hedman-Stralman
Carle-Coburn
Garrison-Sustr

Garrison gets PP2 time and Hedman PP1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad