Speculation: Roster Improvements - Part II

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Deals going down before the deadline seems to be the new trend. Nobody wants to get backed into a corner like Garth Snow last year on Vanek.

Petry or Michalek are the most likely for us I think. I still think Polak is an option. He's not a far cry from Michalek, he's cheap, he has leadership qualities, and he could either take some pressure off Gudas and Sustr next year or he could serve as a good 7th. Kind of like Witkowski, but steadier.

I'd still prefer we go with a righty who can help on the PP, but aside from Wiz, I doubt teams are in a hurry to get rid of those without a severe overpayment.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Since Dallas' playoff hopes have died what would you guys think about getting Daley ? He'd probably cost a 1st+ but he's signed to a cheap deal with term. He's looking at 20 goals and 40 points this year (although he's usually in the 20-30 points range). He's a LHD but he's played almost exclusively on the right in Dallas for the past few years. It could be a good fit for the Bolts since Stevie Y doesn't want to give up a 1st for a rental and Daley would be a solid top 4 D for at least couple more years for less than 3.5m

Goligoski is also available and is a yearly 35+ point guy but he's strictly LHD so I don't know if he'd be a fit for Tampa. Also one less contract year with a higher caphit.

Just a couple of non-UFA options I know are likely available since I really don't see SFY picking up a rental with the way prices are going today.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Since Dallas' playoff hopes have died what would you guys think about getting Daley ? He'd probably cost a 1st+ but he's signed to a cheap deal with term. He's looking at 20 goals and 40 points this year (although he's usually in the 20-30 points range). He's a LHD but he's played almost exclusively on the right in Dallas for the past few years. It could be a good fit for the Bolts since Stevie Y doesn't want to give up a 1st for a rental and Daley would be a solid top 4 D for at least couple more years for less than 3.5m

Goligoski is also available and is a yearly 35+ point guy but he's strictly LHD so I don't know if he'd be a fit for Tampa. Also one less contract year with a higher caphit.

Just a couple of non-UFA options I know are likely available since I really don't see SFY picking up a rental with the way prices are going today.

I would absolutely love Daley here. He's a perfect second pairing guy. But we are so stacked on leftys I'm not sure there is room unless we are sending one back.

I honestly think we end up with Michalek at a cheap price.

But I would also not be surprised if Yzerman went out and grabbed wiz either. He makes a lot of sense on this team.

Cigar City

Apr 21, 2012
Tampa
Supply maybe be going down, but not the supply SFY is looking at, which means the demand is going DOWN as well.

I'm betting he goes off board if we move a first. Someone no one is expecting.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
carle 20% for sbisa?

Absolutely not. As much as it would be nice to get out from Carle's contract he's still useful. Sbisa is garbage and would be a healthy scratch plus we'd be on the hook for 1.1mil the next few seasons.

Edit: we can't even retain on anyone else this year since we've used up both our retention spots.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Hang on there you said in the past stevie wanted bret connolly in 2010.

Yzerman was only here a short time, he wasn't in charge of the draft so nobody knows who he wanted. Connolly was BPA at the time. In 2010 we had one of the worst prospect pools so we needed everything.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
I get the feeling that we are going to see a few more trades before Friday, then have a lull over the weekend then get a few more Monday. But we sure are going through a lot of the big names so far.

Petry's still on the board, and is likely the last Defenseman who will net a 1st (potentially). But I'm really curious about the Glencross situation. I havent heard much about it, but Calgary is not in a good spot with the list he gave them. I kinda wonder if SFY will low ball Calgary just to see if they will take it over trading him to another western team? Not that we need him, but its just something Ive been wondering about haha.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I get the feeling that we are going to see a few more trades before Friday, then have a lull over the weekend then get a few more Monday. But we sure are going through a lot of the big names so far.

Petry's still on the board, and is likely the last Defenseman who will net a 1st (potentially). But I'm really curious about the Glencross situation. I havent heard much about it, but Calgary is not in a good spot with the list he gave them. I kinda wonder if SFY will low ball Calgary just to see if they will take it over trading him to another western team? Not that we need him, but its just something Ive been wondering about haha.

Every one seems to be staying away from petry seems like every gm is sold he will sign with the redwings this summer.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
Every one seems to be staying away from petry seems like every gm is sold he will sign with the redwings this summer.

Ya thats the big fear. I can still see a desperate team trying to get him for a first, but its hard to tell. I doubt Edmonton hangs onto him either way though.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Hang on there you said in the past stevie wanted bret connolly in 2010.

no I never said that todd. Steve made no picks that year everyone knows it. He accepted what was told every draft since has his stamp 2010 doesnt. But if he didnt like connolly he could have moved him since then. He seems ok with him has said a lot of good things about him ahl and nhl.

I think you are messing up statements or you took them incorrectly. Steve just went along with everything 2010 and brett was one of those things. I dont know if he takes gormley I doubt he would have

but skinner fowler schwartz and mcclareth have to be guys going back in time saying if I would have lol

brett had the injury so maybe if things had been different steve had more time?

Cant go back though.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
no I never said that todd. Steve made no picks that year everyone knows it. He accepted what was told every draft since has his stamp 2010 doesnt. But if he didnt like connolly he could have moved him since then. He seems ok with him has said a lot of good things about him ahl and nhl.

I think you are messing up statements or you took them incorrectly. Steve just went along with everything 2010 and brett was one of those things. I dont know if he takes gormley I doubt he would have

but skinner fowler schwartz and mcclareth have to be guys going back in time saying if I would have lol

brett had the injury so maybe if things had been different steve had more time?

Cant go back though.

It's worth noting that Connolly's eggs aren't scrambled like Skinner, even if we haven't gotten 30 goals out of him.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Even if SFY did pick Connolly, he's been looking really good recently and is still developing. Jeeze, and my wife says that I love to kick a dead horse:laugh:

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Even if SFY did pick Connolly, he's been looking really good recently and is still developing. Jeeze, and my wife says that I love to kick a dead horse:laugh:

im with hose on the connolly thing ive always been fine with him hes 22 we have been blessed now at that draft did I want fowler or gormley YES

i wanted a partner partner for hedman in that draft. I have never been a righty lefty guy and loved fowler also loved mcclareth cause was physical loved tarasenko.

Connolly I questioned at the time but looked at stats he put up at young age couldnt complain really. He seemed an instinctual goal scorer.

Hes had a rough road but really you look at what he has done in ahl and you take tyjo kucherov and palat out of equation then look at that draft year dont move marty does connolly have a nice role this year?

probably does he do a good job 25 goals I would have bet on it myself. Hes not a center is a guy got to set up but hes learning now that is playing and sacrificing and seeming to to get it? Hes worth a lot for the future to me. Would like to see him succeed with what we have coming though you have to ask the question what is his best interest at some point. Hes really not a bottom six player. Even though game is coming around he has the talent for top six most teams.

As long as he will continue to pay his dues when hes 24-25 we might really have a player we can all love.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Still strange how we picked Connolly over Fowler when he was the BPA and a much needed defenseman. I mean I understand Drouin over Jones but Connolly had nowhere near the pedigree of Drouin while Fowler was a top-5 player in the draft all season long.

Regardless, at least Connolly is contributing to the big club now so its not like we got completely hosed.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
im with hose on the connolly thing ive always been fine with him hes 22 we have been blessed now at that draft did I want fowler or gormley YES

i wanted a partner partner for hedman in that draft. I have never been a righty lefty guy and loved fowler also loved mcclareth cause was physical loved tarasenko.

Connolly I questioned at the time but looked at stats he put up at young age couldnt complain really. He seemed an instinctual goal scorer.

Hes had a rough road but really you look at what he has done in ahl and you take tyjo kucherov and palat out of equation then look at that draft year dont move marty does connolly have a nice role this year?

probably does he do a good job 25 goals I would have bet on it myself. Hes not a center is a guy got to set up but hes learning now that is playing and sacrificing and seeming to to get it? Hes worth a lot for the future to me. Would like to see him succeed with what we have coming though you have to ask the question what is his best interest at some point. Hes really not a bottom six player. Even though game is coming around he has the talent for top six most teams.

As long as he will continue to pay his dues when hes 24-25 we might really have a player we can all love.
Good points connolly was a decent pick but ya I really wanted the defenseman all three names you said. But at the time we did need pretty much anything are prospect sucked at the time.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Good points connolly was a decent pick but ya I really wanted the defenseman all three names you said. But at the time we did need pretty much anything are prospect sucked at the time.

i was vocal and pissed on facebook when we didnt get fowler and all the reports came out what he had done at such a young age etc.. articles that was right pick etc..

but I always was a build defense build out guy and we still had offense that was never a huge issue with vinny stamkos marty etc.. for show so ya was disappointed.

Especially the injury. 2012 we take slater after all the d run and was pissed cause loved grigs and forsberg lol and he had his injury so was like here we go again.

Think we reached for connolly though and think slater fell to us if look at it still want hedmans partner lol so am ok with slater but would I want those other two more still probably:)

Cant always be happy lol drafting is not perfect and from the little I see of slater i love the kid just hope he keeps on developing. Having sooo many who have done more already in nhl ahead of him though sucks:)

but the guy can skate if he is decently physical and smart we have another blue chip so is what it is.

The only other guy I didnt like is the russian we didnt draft last year barbershev that still annoys me but we really did well and we got point etc.. so cant argue with al murray he has been the TRUTH

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Still strange how we picked Connolly over Fowler when he was the BPA and a much needed defenseman. I mean I understand Drouin over Jones but Connolly had nowhere near the pedigree of Drouin while Fowler was a top-5 player in the draft all season long.

Regardless, at least Connolly is contributing to the big club now so its not like we got completely hosed.

Wait what? Connolly was regarded as a top 3 player in that draft before the season and was still top 5 after missing most of the season. Fowler was top 10 but not top 5. How did Connolly have no pedigree? He was the first 16 year old to ever score 30 goals in the WHL. His pedigree was higher then Drouin till Drouin was 17. If I'm not mistaken Drouin was playing minor midget at 16 still.

The player we needed was Gudbranson but Florida took him early.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad