Line Combos: Roster for 2021/2022 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin Doveridge

Apr 15, 2019
If Wheeler did in fact have cracked ribs he shouldn't have been playing because he was brutal and hurting the team.

I guess 46 points in 50 games and 41st in scoring over 1000 NHL players is "brutal". I suppose only a return to the top 15 would be acceptable as an ok season. I would also say that the defensive play of the entire line also had something to do with the poor defensive stats on top of his injury.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Harkins was benched for game 1 and 2 over Toninato. Didn't get in until the Montreal series, and Scheifele going out. Toninato was out most of the season, worked his way into game shape playing on the Moose, and then as Harkins got cold, got a chance at the end of the season and ran with it. I think those two are definitely one of the training camp battles. Harkins could get some looks with Lowry, since they were good together when they were a tandem, but it's really up to the players performance, not so much the coach, imo.

I was thinking PP1
Wheeler-Stastny-Connor
Scheifele-Morrissey

PP2
Dubois-Copp-Svetchnikov
Pionk-Ehlers

With Vesalainen out. Just because of the chemistry between Dubois and Svetchnikov, Gives another shooting option, which the PP needs. But there's more options than last year, with Schmidt in there too, Vesalainen, Lowry had some looks, and there is possibly Stanley or Heinola. Not to mention Perfetti if there are some injuries.
Pomo playing a vet over a prospect in the playoffs does not mean Harkins was not playing well...

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Pomo playing a vet over a prospect in the playoffs does not mean Harkins was not playing well...

Toninato is hardly a vet, he's played 32 more games than Harkins over 2 more years. But when you look at it, counting playoffs, Toninato had as many points as Harkins in 5 games as Harkins in 27. Harkins was part of the team that lost 7 of 8 in the stretch, with Ehlers out. So I think it's still a question of performance. A lot of people clamoured for Harkins to be our next 2c a year ago. Now he's just trying to become an everyday player.

Reactions: Lorenzo1000

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I'm a bit worried about speed in our top 6 with both Stastny and Wheeler there. I think you have to split them up, which is unfortunate because it likely keeps Ehlers from playing with 81-55.

Connor Scheifele Wheeler
Stastny Dubois Ehlers
Copp Lowry Nash
Vesalainen Harkins Svechnichov
Toninato

Guessing Svech and Toninato will both sit some games so Mo can dress Beaulieu as a 7th defenseman (if I'm interpreting Mo's presser correctly).

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm a bit worried about speed in our top 6 with both Stastny and Wheeler there. I think you have to split them up, which is unfortunate because it likely keeps Ehlers from playing with 81-55.

Connor Scheifele Wheeler
Stastny Dubois Ehlers
Copp Lowry Nash
Vesalainen Harkins Svechnichov
Toninato

Guessing Svech and Toninato will both sit some games so Mo can dress Beaulieu as a 7th defenseman (if I'm interpreting Mo's presser correctly).

Agreed about the speed aspect. It might be even more noticeable if we move to a more aggressive system one Moe alluded to in his press conference.

I'm a bit concerned about team speed upfront as a whole as most of our forwards have average speed. We only have a couple of burners.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Agreed about the speed aspect. It might be even more noticeable if we move to a more aggressive system one Moe alluded to in his press conference.

I'm a bit concerned about team speed upfront as a whole as most of our forwards have average speed. We only have a couple of burners.
definitely agree.

connor/ehlers are burners
no concern about copp/scheifele/harkins from a speed perspective
haven't seen speed from dubois but assuming he is average
lowry/stastny/wheeler are probably all to some degree below average

not sure about the rest - toninato/ves/svech/nash

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
definitely agree.

connor/ehlers are burners
no concern about copp/scheifele/harkins from a speed perspective
haven't seen speed from dubois but assuming he is average
lowry/stastny/wheeler are probably all to some degree below average

not sure about the rest - toninato/ves/svech/nash

Dubois was injured last year and didn't show his speed. He's definitely well above average when healthy.

Vesalianen is good skater, probably a bit above average.

After that is where it gets dicey.

Gus has below average quickness.

Svech had decent speed before his injuries which slowed him. Not sure where his skating is at now.

To me we really only have 4 plus skaters upfront I'm Ehlers, Conner, Scheifele and Dubois.

Copp, Harkins and Ves are fine and then the rest are probably below average.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
According to Moe we are going to be playing a system that is more based on speed and involves more skating. So that may cause some additional issues for some of our older players.

His IQ will help no doubt but if his other skills continue to diminish then it will only make up so much.

Yeah he was ok last year but that is more due to PLD having a real tough year then Paul actually being good. He clearly starts in the top 6 this year but I hope if Cole shows better at some point or if he declines further we don't hesitate to make a change.

If he's solid in the role then fine keep him there but I'm a bit worried about some of our age/speed and ability in the top 6 this year with Paul and Blake being another year older.

Hopefully Blake bounced back a bit because it looked like the cliff was last year for him.
stastny has played a variety of different team play-styles with Vegas, 17-18 Jets and last year's Jets and has done fine.

PLD being good/bad has 0 bearing on Stastny. he was basically the same player last season as years past. If you think he will lose his brain/hockey-iq, play-making abilities, FO abilities/200 ft play in an off-season, so be it. the guy doesn't have great physical tools (ie: shot or speed), but hasn't had that for years now, yet has performed absolutely fine as evidenced previously.

I hope if any player in the top-6 is playing poorly Maurice considers a change, not exclusive to Stastny. if PLD is underwhelming again i hope he considers something different, for example.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
stastny has played a variety of different team play-styles with Vegas, 17-18 Jets and last year's Jets and has done fine.

PLD being good/bad has 0 bearing on Stastny. he was basically the same player last season as years past. If you think he will lose his brain/hockey-iq, play-making abilities, FO abilities/200 ft play in an off-season, so be it. the guy doesn't have great physical tools (ie: shot or speed), but hasn't had that for years now, yet has performed absolutely fine as evidenced previously.

I hope if any player in the top-6 is playing poorly Maurice considers a change, not exclusive to Stastny. if PLD is underwhelming again i hope he considers something different, for example.

The guy will be 36 in a few months, Wheeler will also be another year older. I'm hoping for the best but am not going to assume either is a guarantee to perform at a high level given their age.

Hopefully they do but it is a bit of a concern especially as we don't exactly have a number of players outside of Cole with top 6 skill to step in if one or both falter.

Absolutely if lines/players aren't working I want Moe to not be afraid to change things up. For example I don't want to see CSW stay together for months at a time if they aren't effective.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Ladd was traded a year or two before that contract... and Connor/ehlers were on the roster already I believe

it was a loyalty contract - don’t have a huge issue with it - but Statsny is also a loyalty contract for the Schmidt link and Wheeler friendship

no reason stats should be a lock for top six

Matty Ps contract was signed on July 7 th 2016 and Ladd was traded a few months b4 the 2016 trade deadline in March

So. 3 months after Ladd was traded

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
this just in; players are a year old compared to last!

even if he falls off a cliff, he's still better than Svech likely - which was the initial post i was responding too, and you can include Ves and Harkins that mix too. Perfetti might be better but think Stastny would have to be really bad for him to be bumped, and given his strengths, i doubt a few months of an off-season will lead to that.

The guy will be 36 in a few months, Wheeler will also be another year older. I'm hoping for the best but am not going to assume either is a guarantee to perform at a high level given their age.

Hopefully they do but it is a bit of a concern especially as we don't exactly have a number of players outside of Cole with top 6 skill to step in if one or both falter.

Absolutely if lines/players aren't working I want Moe to not be afraid to change things up. For example I don't want to see CSW stay together for months at a time if they aren't effective.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
this just in; players are a year old compared to last!

even if he falls off a cliff, he's still better than Svech likely - which was the initial post i was responding too, and you can include Ves and Harkins that mix too. Perfetti might be better but think Stastny would have to be really bad for him to be bumped, and given his strengths, i doubt a few months of an off-season will lead to that.

Go look around the league and at past players. Most players decline significantly around this age. Hopefully ours don't but it's a concern. You are free not to be concerned about it.

Sure neither Svech or Ves are likely good options to replace either barring a massive breakout by either hence why I'm a bit worried about our top 6 heading into this year. Hopefully any decline is offset by Dubois returning to form/taking a step forward.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
id say most players decline sharply b/c of physical attributes (ie Speed) or injury, which Stastny really hasn't had for years now and has still remained an effective player.

players that rely on being high iq play makers w/ good all-around play can still be productive even at an older age. Thornton comes to mind, Krejci too. I suspect Backstrom will still be productive too in years to come. He's more in that mold than a guy (talking play-style) rather than one that is reliant on speed/great shot.

although having another C on the 2nd line is nice, if this org really signed Stastny to play Wing, then they probably could have found a better & more productive fit at W than him.

Hopefully PLD is better than him this year. there's no reason he shouldn't be, although thought the same last year too :dunno:

Go look around the league and at past players. Most players decline significantly around this age. Hopefully ours don't but it's a concern. You are free not to be concerned about it.

Sure neither Svech or Ves are likely good options to replace either barring a massive breakout by either hence why I'm a bit worried about our top 6 heading into this year. Hopefully any decline is offset by Dubois returning to form/taking a step forward.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
id say most players decline sharply b/c of physical attributes (ie Speed) or injury, which Stastny really hasn't had for years now and has still remained an effective player.

players that rely on being high iq play makers w/ good all-around play can still be productive even at an older age. Thornton comes to mind, Krejci too. I suspect Backstrom will still be productive too in years to come. He's more in that mold than a guy (talking play-style) rather than one that is reliant on speed/great shot.

although having another C on the 2nd line is nice, if this org really signed Stastny to play Wing, then they probably could have found a better & more productive fit at W than him.

Hopefully PLD is better than him this year. there's no reason he shouldn't be, although thought the same last year too :dunno:

Even those high IQ players like Thornton took a major hit in their effectiveness around Paul's age. Even if your smart you still need to be able to keep up and win battles to have an impact.

Anyhow we shall see how either fairs, I'm more worried about Blake then Paul as Blake's game revolves more around his physical attributes then Stastnys.

Imo Paul was brought back just as much if not more due room chemistry and mentorship ability then it was about impact and fit.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
yea thornton going from 0.87 ppg from the 3 years preceding his 36 year old season, to a 1PPG player in his 36 YO year was such a major hit :rolleyes: :sarcasm: (this is tongue in cheek).

my initial post was responding to someone having stastny as a 4th liner and guy like svech and ves ahead of him. if you want to deal in hypothetical land and assume a bunch of negative shit happens to stastny & impacts his game, then for sure bump him down the depth chart.

Even those high IQ players like Thornton took a major hit in their effectiveness around Paul's age. Even if your smart you still need to be able to keep up and win battles to have an impact.

Anyhow we shall see how either fairs, I'm more worried about Blake then Paul as Blake's game revolves more around his physical attributes then Stastnys.

Imo Paul was brought back just as much if not more due room chemistry and mentorship ability then it was about impact and fit.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
yea thornton going from 0.87 ppg from the 3 years preceding his 36 year old season, to a 1PPG player in his 36 YO year was such a major hit :rolleyes: :sarcasm: (this is tongue in cheek).

my initial post was responding to someone having stastny as a 4th liner and guy like svech and ves ahead of him. if you want to deal in hypothetical land and assume a bunch of negative shit happens to stastny & impacts his game, then for sure bump him down the depth chart.

And the year after at 37 he went to and stayed at a .6 ppg player. I said roughly the same age not the exact same age.

Are we also going to ignore that Thornton at his peak was a 100 plus point player. So yea a player that in his mid to late 30's was producing about half as much as he did at his peak is a pretty significant decline. Thornton is a first ballet hall of famer and had room to decline significantly and stay a good producer.

Paul doesn't have that same wiggle room. He's been a low 40 point player each of the last two years despite getting number 1 unit pp time. He doesn't have much if any leeway for a further decline in points before he produces below a second line rate.

Clearly if he gets supplanted in the top 6 Moe likely uses him on the third line.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
And the year after at 37 he went to and stayed at a .6 ppg player. I said roughly the same age not the exact same age.

Are we also going to ignore that Thornton at his peak was a 100 plus point player. So yea a player that in his mid to late 30's was producing about half as much as he did at his peak is a pretty significant decline. Thornton is a first ballet hall of famer and had room to decline significantly and stay a good producer.

Paul doesn't have that same wiggle room. He's been a low 40 point player each of the last two years despite getting number 1 unit pp time. He doesn't have much if any leeway for a further decline in points before he produces below a second line rate.

Clearly if he gets supplanted in the top 6 Moe likely uses him on the third line.

Paul is a place holder and will likely play on the second line not because he is our optimal second line player, but because we don't have anyone ready (or better) to step into top 6 minutes at this time.
This might change as the season progresses -
As a side note, I hope he stays where he is and I hope he has the gas to get through a long season playing those minutes.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Paul is a place holder and will likely play on the second line not because he is our optimal second line player, but because we don't have anyone ready (or better) to step into top 6 minutes at this time.
This might change as the season progresses -
As a side note, I hope he stays where he is and I hope he has the gas to get through a long season playing those minutes.

I agree. Cole may or may not be ready but my guess is they still want to give him atleast half a season in the AHL barring him making it impossible to send him down in camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad