Line Combos: Roster for 2021/2022 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I agree, but it'd be nice to roll a 4th line that not only isn't a defensive liability but can also contribute some depth scoring and take some of the pressure off the "scoring lines" when they aren't scoring (see last season's freefall into the playoffs). I really wish that we could get beyond:

- Scoring / Get scored on
- Scoring + Possession / Get scored on less
- Checking / Occasionally score
- Score rarely / Try not to get scored on / Staff the PK
Last year our 4th line certainly wasn't a defensive liability. Lewis ended the season 3rd on the Jets in GF% at 64.49% with a grand total of 5 goals scored against him 5-5 and Nate Thompson was 5th with a GF% of 62.50% with a grand total of 6 goals scored against him 5-5. Granted they didn't score much but any coach in the league would be very happy if their 4th line produces close to twice as many goals for as goals against.

Reactions: Puckatron 3000

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Last year our 4th line certainly wasn't a defensive liability. Lewis ended the season 3rd on the Jets in GF% at 64.49% with a grand total of 5 goals scored against him 5-5 and Nate Thompson was 5th with a GF% of 62.50% with a grand total of 6 goals scored against him 5-5. Granted they didn't score much but any coach in the league would be very happy if their 4th line produces close to twice as many goals for as goals against.
Our 4th line wasn't terrible, which is quite a thing for a PoMo team. I think Lewis is to thank for that. He had zero hands, but played smart hockey.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

No it wasn't, although MP85 playing his best hockey in years and Lewis enjoying a resurgent season were a big part of that success. I'm not sure whether plugging in, say, Gus in favour of Nate T would have boosted or dropped those numbers, but certainly it was refreshing to have a 4th that was trusted to play in tight situations and not start an immediate 5-alarm fire in our end. It has def been a while since we've had a 4th that was more than a placeholder.

I still think that the rigidity of a scoring/checking/energy-vet roster and line deployment isn't optimal in an evolving league, and I also think that younger players can be taught the mysteries of an effective PK -- but those are opinions, obviously, and they've been argued plenty here.

New season, new hope.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
No it wasn't, although MP85 playing his best hockey in years and Lewis enjoying a resurgent season were a big part of that success. I'm not sure whether plugging in, say, Gus in favour of Nate T would have boosted or dropped those numbers, but certainly it was refreshing to have a 4th that was trusted to play in tight situations and not start an immediate 5-alarm fire in our end. It has def been a while since we've had a 4th that was more than a placeholder.

I still think that the rigidity of a scoring/checking/energy-vet roster and line deployment isn't optimal in an evolving league, and I also think that younger players can be taught the mysteries of an effective PK -- but those are opinions, obviously, and they've been argued plenty here.

New season, new hope.
At this point it looks pretty likely that our 4th line will be made up of at least a couple of the prospects ready to graduate to full time NHL roles. Nash was the only real depth forward vet addition and he is still a pretty solid player. I'm curious to see if he gets played on the wing with Lowry and Copp or if Ves gets the first crack at 3rd line RW. I think Gus will be given every opportunity the center the 4th line probably with Harkins on one of the wings.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
At this point it looks pretty likely that our 4th line will be made up of at least a couple of the prospects ready to graduate to full time NHL roles. Nash was the only real depth forward vet addition and he is still a pretty solid player. I'm curious to see if he gets played on the wing with Lowry and Copp or if Ves gets the first crack at 3rd line RW. I think Gus will be given every opportunity the center the 4th line probably with Harkins on one of the wings.

A Jet TV person indicated he thought Ves had the inside track for that spot so imo if he has a good camp he wins the role.

Reactions: KingBogo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad