Line Combos: Roster for 2021/2022 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
If Wheeler did in fact have cracked ribs he shouldn't have been playing because he was brutal and hurting the team.
I dont disagree, my point was im not too worried about Wheeler next season, Im willing to bet he surprises alot of people, that shouldnt be hard tho considering people have been writing him off for three years now.

Id be willing to bet he will be closer to the Wheeler from five years ago not the Wheeler from last year.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We have a few possibilities for kicking the door down this year. Vesa is one, Perfetti is a slimmer chance, and Heinola.

We have a few players right on the cusp of becoming very good regular players or even stars.

I wouldn't put Vesa on that list anymore than I would put Harkins on it. They have been percolating in the system for years now, slowly making their ways up the depth chart. Both were on the roster to end last season. Both have some NHL experience. They are competing for bottom 6 roles. Ves is 22. More like 'its about time he makes it' than he might kick the door down.

Reactions: Howard Chuck

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think way too many people here and in the media have Stanley penciled in as the third pairing LD when Heinola and possibly Samberg will be pushing hard for the spot in training camp.

It's not just going to be handed to Stanley.

That's why he is 'penciled' in as opposed to written in ink.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I was thinking Copp-Lowry and Nash-harkins for PK - but I do think we start with toninato in the lineup possibly over Harkins if I know Mo

Toninato was better than Harkins to finish the season. Scored GWG of game 1 to start the sweep, so he's probably feeling good about his chances. If we end up with both Svetchnikov and Vesalainen in the lineup who do you think would get the nod for PP2?

Seems like there is one spot to win this training camp, with Vesalainen pencilled in. Unless the Jets scour the waiver wire.

Can't wait for hockey to begin again.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Toninato was better than Harkins to finish the season. Scored GWG of game 1 to start the sweep, so he's probably feeling good about his chances. If we end up with both Svetchnikov and Vesalainen in the lineup who do you think would get the nod for PP2?

Seems like there is one spot to win this training camp, with Vesalainen pencilled in. Unless the Jets scour the waiver wire.

Can't wait for hockey to begin again.
Not sure if I’d say toninato was better than harkins... harkins looked good when he played imo

PP1 - CSW
Morrissey Schmidt
pP2 - PLD-stats-Ehlers
Ves-Pionk

that’s what I would try

if svechnikov looks good, then bump up PLD and sit one of the D

Reactions: bennylundholm

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Not sure if I’d say toninato was better than harkins... harkins looked good when he played imo

PP1 - CSW
Morrissey Schmidt
pP2 - PLD-stats-Ehlers
Ves-Pionk

that’s what I would try

Pp1 needs a net presence guy so I’d move pld up and take mo off. Put Copp on second unit.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It would be shocking if Svechnikov - a guy that had a hard time earning minutes on a woeful red wings roster - makes the team on a PTO. You really think he will be on the 2nd line? That is an awful lot to appease one player (PLD).

I don't think it is even about appeasing PLD. Getting Svech is a good low risk move regardless of the connection with PLD. If he makes the Jets, it will be in the bottom 6, more likely 4th line than 3rd but, just maybe, 3RW.

Reactions: surixon

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Nope. Ladd was traded tdl 2016, Perrault signed that deal in July 2016. He was a top 6er in 16-17 and to start 17-18 prior to getting hurt and Connor emerging. Perrault did have one year left on the previous deal though if thats what u mean.

Stastny is a 1 yr deal vs perreault being 4. Statsny was better than PLD last year, and is still an effective second line C.

There's no reason why he should be on the forth line barely playing. And he isn't a fit with Lowry and Copp

Stastny probably gets around the same money else where. And he's an effective player so I don't see why it's a bad thing. Forth line is useless for him.

I see zero chance of Stats on the 4th line. There are scenarios that could see him on the 3rd though.

Reactions: Klondiker98

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
They clearly didn't sign him to play fourth line but they also clearly didn't sign Perrault to spend most of his time there either.

Plans can change, we saw Conner force the issue and knock a vet down the lineup before and I could easily see it happening again if Stastny losses a step and/or if Cole forces the issue at some point this season.

We have seen it happen before with this team so it could happen again.

doesn't really matter to me I'd he's making that on the fourth if we have a player on his ELC in the top 6.

True plans change - but the only way I see Stats on the 4th line is if he falls off the proverbial cliff - so slightly more than a zero chance.

He could play 3rd line if Copp plays 2LW, which might not be a bad idea at all. Or, if Perfetti kicks the door down, Stats could also end up on the 3rd line.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well if he's on the forth line then we likely have inferior talent getting far more critical top 6 minutes ie: ves and Svechnikov. Stastny with no wheels is still far better and more impactful of a player than those two.

To my eye, Stastny's performance dropped off as the year progressed last year. Maybe that was partly due to moving to wing, but I think it was more age related.

But in spite of that, I think he could still lose another step and be more effective than Svech, Ves or Harkins, just on smarts alone.

Svech is a potential pleasant surprise. It is not impossible that, in good health, he can play 2RW. Not likely, but possible. A little less unlikely would be 3RW. But I think he is destined for the Moose this year. Maybe he can resurrect his career there.

Reactions: bennylundholm

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Could work but I was viewing PP1 as puck moving where the threat of two trigger men replaces net front
I don’t see how it’s possible to score in this day and age without a net presence. If a goalie sees the puck he will make the save. You can still have great puck movement, two trigger men , and a net presence guy.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
According to Moe we are going to be playing a system that is more based on speed and involves more skating. So that may cause some additional issues for some of our older players.

His IQ will help no doubt but if his other skills continue to diminish then it will only make up so much.

Yeah he was ok last year but that is more due to PLD having a real tough year then Paul actually being good. He clearly starts in the top 6 this year but I hope if Cole shows better at some point or if he declines further we don't hesitate to make a change.

If he's solid in the role then fine keep him there but I'm a bit worried about some of our age/speed and ability in the top 6 this year with Paul and Blake being another year older.

Hopefully Blake bounced back a bit because it looked like the cliff was last year for him.

Blake did improve as he healed last year. So that may not have been the cliff. Of course, he could still fall off it this year.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think he was a bit of a backup in case Copper didn't sign. I would move him to the third line as soon as somebody proved they deserve the spot.
I still think it was an unimportant signing.

No way 3.75 mil cap space is unimportant this year.

Reactions: KingBogo

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He's not playing Cole on the fourth line, pretty much said as much in his PC. Said he doesn't like using skill young guys there unless its for a very short time to transition them up. Given our roster can't see Chevy even entertaining lossing a year off his elc to play him 6 to 8 minutes a game.

Careful not to get sucked in by things Maurice says.
Remember "I don't like to let guys sit in the Press Box too long", etc? (paraphrase)
Nothing he says is a reliable indicator of what he will do.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Careful not to get sucked in by things Maurice says.
Remember "I don't like to let guys sit in the Press Box too long", etc? (paraphrase)
Nothing he says is a reliable indicator of what he will do.

True, but Chevy won't allow a young player to rot on the fourth. If that is what Moe plans to do Chevy will put the kid in the AHL like what happened with Conner in 2016.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
True, but Chevy won't allow a young player to rot on the fourth. If that is what Moe plans to do Chevy will put the kid in the AHL like what happened with Conner in 2016.

Agree - but I'm pretty sure that was Maurice putting KC in the AHL.

Best coaching move Mau ever made. Best character illustration from KC. Correct reaction to kick in the pants.

Reactions: Klondiker98

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Agree - but I'm pretty sure that was Maurice putting KC in the AHL.

Best coaching move Mau ever made. Best character illustration from KC. Correct reaction to kick in the pants.

Hard to say if that was more Chevy or more Moe driven.

I think the following camp was most certainly Moe driven as Conner had a mediocre camp and didn't make the team as a result. Made the most of his opportunity when called back up.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
not concerned about stastny at all... he'll do his thing, drive offense set up plays and be good defensively and on the dot (the actual things a good 200 ft C needs to do). you pair him with a finisher like Ehlers or KC, and that line will be strong (as seen copp-stasny-ehlers was our best line last yr). the guy doesn't have wheels to lose (frankly, his first tenure the jets he had none lol). he'll be fine.

im more worried about wheeler's toi and usage than stastnys

I think this pretty clearly demonstrates the Stastny is clearly a top 6 player on the Jets. Just to add to that Stastny was also top 5 in CF% and xGF% on the Jets last season. He was signed for $3.75 M to play in the top 6 where he belongs.

Reactions: Jets 31

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hard to say if that was more Chevy or more Moe driven.

I think the following camp was most certainly Moe driven as Conner had a mediocre camp and didn't make the team as a result. Made the most of his opportunity when called back up.

That's the 'kick in the pants' one I thought you meant.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
That's the 'kick in the pants' one I thought you meant.

No I was talking about the year prior where Kyle started in the top 9 but wasn't quite ready so found himself dropped down to the fourth line for a bit prior to Chevy sending him to the AHL.

No doubt the following camp and demotion was a giant kick in the ass and it was a good move that he responded well to.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

PP1 - CSW
Morrissey Schmidt
pP2 - PLD-stats-Ehlers
Ves-Pionk

that’s what I would try

Harkins was benched for game 1 and 2 over Toninato. Didn't get in until the Montreal series, and Scheifele going out. Toninato was out most of the season, worked his way into game shape playing on the Moose, and then as Harkins got cold, got a chance at the end of the season and ran with it. I think those two are definitely one of the training camp battles. Harkins could get some looks with Lowry, since they were good together when they were a tandem, but it's really up to the players performance, not so much the coach, imo.

I was thinking PP1
Wheeler-Stastny-Connor
Scheifele-Morrissey

PP2
Dubois-Copp-Svetchnikov
Pionk-Ehlers

With Vesalainen out. Just because of the chemistry between Dubois and Svetchnikov, Gives another shooting option, which the PP needs. But there's more options than last year, with Schmidt in there too, Vesalainen, Lowry had some looks, and there is possibly Stanley or Heinola. Not to mention Perfetti if there are some injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad