Line Combos: Roster for 2021/2022 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I still remain skeptical that Moe can coach a more modern offensive scheme. Even in 17-18 we were predominantly a 3 man forecheck and cycle team.

Having said that we now have all the pieces and we will see what we can do.
The 17-18 team made up for system deficiencies with talent... our D core can do that again if Schmidt is Vegas form.

This season hinges on three things - Schmidt, Helle staying healthy and Ves/Harkins stepping up... if that happens we are definitely a contender

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Defense def looks better than last year. Big price to pay nearly 10m for two guys into their mid 30s on Schmidt and Dillon plus a couple draft picks. Morrissey unfortunately is still here collecting 8m to be a turnstile on the top pair. I hope Maurice at least pairs DeMelo with him to carry that pairing. Also, hopefully Pionk continues his play from last year and shows last year was not a career outlier. Still wondering what he gets for a deal. Really do like the Schmidt acquisition tho. Always liked his game as a Capital and then in Vegas. Didn't follow him as much as a Canuck. Think he'll help push the offense and the transition game. Real likeable dude off the ice too. Don't know much about Dillon but stats look good +size, better than forbort but not saying much lol.

Forward group imo probably still needs another top 9 fwd. I like Tatar alot. Can score at 5v5, great hands and isn't afraid to mix it up As a smaller guy.... Kind of perreault-esque. Had a poor finish to last year so recency bias probably has his value low. Doubt he's getting many lucrative offers right now otherwise he probably would've signed. A 1 year deal playing in a top 6 consisting of scheifele, ehlers, Connor, wheeler and pld/Stastny likely regains value.

Oh yeah and PLD needs to show up. What a disappointment he was for us especially in the PO's. Hopefully it's not just for a new contract as he is in a contract year. 0 goals in the playoffs yet all I heard from fans is wait till the PO's, he's a PO performer, leafs killer etc etc. Guy was a bust last year. But am expecting him to be back to a play-driving c putting up 60-70 pts this upcoming year... Hopefully.

Comrie the back up? Incoming Helle playing 70 games lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: ocdaddy

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Defense def looks better than last year. Big price to pay nearly 10m for two guys into their mid 30s on Schmidt and Dillon plus a couple draft picks. Morrissey unfortunately is still here collecting 8m to be a turnstile on the top pair. I hope Maurice at least pairs DeMelo with him to carry that pairing. Also, hopefully Pionk continues his play from last year and shows last year was not a career outlier. Still wondering what he gets for a deal. Really do like the Schmidt acquisition tho. Always liked his game as a Capital and then in Vegas. Didn't follow him as much as a Canuck. Think he'll help push the offense and the transition game. Real likeable dude off the ice too. Don't know much about Dillon but stats look good +size, better than forbort but not saying much lol.

Forward group imo probably still needs another top 9 fwd. I like Tatar alot. Can score at 5v5, great hands and isn't afraid to mix it up As a smaller guy.... Kind of perreault-esque. Had a poor finish to last year so recency bias probably has his value low. Doubt he's getting many lucrative offers right now otherwise he probably would've signed. A 1 year deal playing in a top 6 consisting of scheifele, ehlers, Connor, wheeler and pld/Stastny likely regains value.

Oh yeah and PLD needs to show up. What a disappointment he was for us especially in the PO's. Hopefully it's not just for a new contract as he is in a contract year. 0 goals in the playoffs yet all I heard from fans is wait till the PO's, he's a PO performer, leafs killer etc etc. Guy was a bust last year. But am expecting him to be back to a play-driving c putting up 60-70 pts this upcoming year... Hopefully.

Comrie the back up? Incoming Helle playing 70 games lol.
Morrissey makes $6.25 which isn’t too bad considering what other defenders are getting. He doesn’t need DeMelo to “carry” him, he just needs someone half-competent to play with so he doesn’t have to drag around garbage (like the collection of players he’s been stuck with since our defence got nuked).

With Schmidt and Dillon coming in, all six of our starting D are capable; Morrissey won’t be tasked with babysitting a bum. I expect we’ll see the Morrissey we saw in the playoffs for most of next season.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I think PLD returning to top form is key to the Jets' success
True... I was just sort of assuming he will.

So... things we are relying on
PLD playing better
Schmidt playing better
Helle healthy or Comrie .915
Copp buying in for a lower $$
Statsny playing better than end of season
Ves/Harkins - seizing the moment
Wheeler playing better than beginning of season
A reunited forward group that ended the season with a horrendous losing streak
Maurice

Everything is fine.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Morrissey made 8m this past year and this upcoming year. His cap hit is 12th for lhd. He's paid as a top pair guy. Pionk carries forbort who can't skate and is an offensive blackhole. Is matched up against McDavid and holds his own. Morrissey is a turnstile on defense and imo has lots of trouble being the main puck mover. His on ice results have ever only faired well with either prime buff or trouba and it essentially netted him a 50m contract... It's been nearly three years since he's been consistently good. Perhaps you're higher on him than I am, which is fine. Hope I'm wrong and he turns back the time machine to 2017-2018 year, but over the past couple years imo what I see and objectively what the stats/on-ice results show is a poor defenseman to play on the top pair

Morrissey makes $6.25 which isn’t too bad considering what other defenders are getting. He doesn’t need DeMelo to “carry” him, he just needs someone half-competent to play with so he doesn’t have to drag around garbage (like the collection of players he’s been stuck with since our defence got nuked).

With Schmidt and Dillon coming in, all six of our starting D are capable; Morrissey won’t be tasked with babysitting a bum. I expect we’ll see the Morrissey we saw in the playoffs for most of next season.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Morrissey made 8m this past year and this upcoming year. His cap hit is 12th for lhd. He's paid as a top pair guy. Pionk carries forbort who can't skate and is an offensive blackhole. Is matched up against McDavid and holds his own. Morrissey is a turnstile on defense and imo has lots of trouble being the main puck mover. His on ice results have ever only faired well with either prime buff or trouba and it essentially netted him a 50m contract... It's been nearly three years since he's been consistently good. Perhaps you're higher on him than I am, which is fine. Hope I'm wrong and he turns back the time machine to 2017-2018 year, but over the past couple years imo what I see and objectively what the stats/on-ice results show is a poor defenseman to play on the top pair
Morrissey makes $8,000,000 in salary, but his cap hit is $6.25 million, which is more relevant IMO.

Morrissey looked fine with DeMelo, and when he was paired with Pionk briefly in the playoffs. I don’t see Morrissey as an elite Norris trophy candidate; rather, I see him as a very good complementary defenceman who can get good results on the top pairing with a competent defenceman. He’s not as good as Buff (who good make chicken salad out of chicken shit when it comes to his defensive partners), but he’s good enough to hold his own with a decent partner. With seemingly all of the spare parts vanquished from the Jets defensive lineup, I think we’ll see a much improved Morrissey this season. I guess we’ll see what happens though.

And agreed Pionk was our all around best defenseman last year.

Reactions: Mathil8

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Morrissey spent most of last season paired with Booboo and Poolman and playing against the other teams best, i think you are being a bit hard on Morrissey. Morrissey isn't Buff but he's still a good defenseman when he isn't paired with a complete anchor which is what Booboo and Poolman are.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Morrissey makes $8,000,000 in salary, but his cap hit is $6.25 million, which is more relevant IMO.

Morrissey looked fine with DeMelo, and when he was paired with Pionk briefly in the playoffs. I don’t see Morrissey as an elite Norris trophy candidate; rather, I see him as a very good complementary defenceman who can get good results on the top pairing with a competent defenceman. He’s not as good as Buff (who good make chicken salad out of chicken shit when it comes to his defensive partners), but he’s good enough to hold his own with a decent partner. With seemingly all of the spare parts vanquished from the Jets defensive lineup, I think we’ll see a much improved Morrissey this season. I guess we’ll see what happens though.

And agreed Pionk was our all around best defenseman last year.

so did he collect $8m or $6.25m while being a turnstile on the top pair? i know what he makes, and his cap-hit. regardless either via cap hit or actual pay, he is among the tops for LHD in the league, and his play for the last 3 seasons is anything but that.

Morrissey spent most of last season paired with Booboo and Poolman and playing against the other teams best, i think you are being a bit hard on Morrissey. Morrissey isn't Buff but he's still a good defenseman when he isn't paired with a complete anchor which is what Booboo and Poolman are.

and i saw Pionk saddled with Forbort for the entire year, trouba with beaulieu / stuart, demelo with poolman/stanley (albeit lower down the line up) and put up good to great on-ice results.

idk if you follow RAPM or GAR/WAR stats but this is morrissey teh past 3 years and one of the worst in GAR.

E6gbsaeUcAU0nb3

Last edited:

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
so did he collect $8m or $6.25m while being a turnstile on the top pair? i know what he makes, and his cap-hit. regardless either via cap hit or actual pay, he is among the tops for LHD in the league, and his play for the last 3 seasons is anything but that.
He made $8 million last year but bitching about that over cap hit is a bit disingenuous IMO. Next season he makes $5.2 million, but his cap hit remains the same, which is, IMO, more important to the team. Should his play and expectations be lower next year because he’s bringing in less in base salary? IMO, I don’t think so, because his cap hit is the same.

Morrissey’s contract isn’t great, but I don’t think it’s some albatross either. Like I said, he’s still a good defenceman. If you look at base salary, he’s tied for 9th highest which obviously he isn’t (of course, next year he’s 27th when his base salary is $5.2 million), and for cap hit he’s 27th among defencemen. A bit overpaid? Maybe. But not terrible for a guy who can be a good defenceman when he isn’t dragging around guys like Beaulieu. Buff could do that, but he also made more money than Morrissey does.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

and i saw Pionk saddled with Forbort for the entire year, trouba with beaulieu / stuart, demelo with poolman/stanley (albeit lower down the line up) and put up good to great on-ice results.

idk if you follow RAPM or GAR/WAR stats but this is morrissey teh past 3 years and one of the worst in GAR.

E6gbsaeUcAU0nb3
Forbort is still better than Booboo or Poolman and again Morrissey is going against the other teams best every game. If Morrissey has a horrible season this year paired with Schmidt or Dillon or DeMelo then ya we need better out of Morrissey.

Reactions: Mathil8

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He's looking for a top pair that can move the puck and better support the offensive side of the game while not being defensively useless.
Our top 6 forward group need exactly that - Demelo is not the answer regardless of how well he played with JoMo when there were very few options (and none that made them an offensive threat).

Our d is looking a lot better and that was the plan - we have a few very dangerous forwards that need this type of support and we've finally found a way to get it done. We'll see how it works out but I'm optimistic.

And Demelo can be the third pairing anchor where he will shine - he's built for exactly that. Paired with Stan, I see them being a really solid option that can play plus minutes so that we are not wearing out our top 4 by mid season.

Yes. No argument from me on any of that.

Reactions: LowLefty

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
He made $8 million last year but bitching about that over cap hit is a bit disingenuous IMO. Next season he makes $5.2 million, but his cap hit remains the same, which is, IMO, more important to the team. Should his play and expectations be lower next year because he’s bringing in less in base salary? IMO, I don’t think so, because his cap hit is the same.

Morrissey’s contract isn’t great, but I don’t think it’s some albatross either. Like I said, he’s still a good defenceman. If you look at base salary, he’s tied for 9th highest which obviously he isn’t (of course, next year he’s 27th when his base salary is $5.2 million), and for cap hit he’s 27th among defencemen. A bit overpaid? Maybe. But not terrible for a guy who can be a good defenceman when he isn’t dragging around guys like Beaulieu. Buff could do that, but he also made more money than Morrissey does.

ok w/e the case is, he's paid/cap-hit is that of a top pair defender. and his on-ice play is anything but that which is my overall point. and it's been like that for 3 years. so yes hopefully one of demelo or if schmidt is playing right side (although unsure if he's a good stylistic fit) can carry him.

Forbort is still better than Booboo or Poolman and again Morrissey is going against the other teams best every game. If Morrissey has a horrible season this year paired with Schmidt or Dillon or DeMelo then ya we need better out of Morrissey.
the difference between quality of comp b/w pionk and morrissey is neglegible from what i understand (the analytics guys on twitter like garrett were pointing this out). i dont really think forbort is that much better than either beau or poolman. he had a good first 4-6 weeks but after that was pretty much on the same level imo. neverthless, morrissey's play independent of his partner is bad and has been for 3 years. rooting for him but at some point you have to be objective. perhaps one of the new acquisitions or demelo can carry him.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
ok w/e the case is, he's paid/cap-hit is that of a top pair defender. and his on-ice play is anything but that which is my overall point. and it's been like that for 3 years. so yes hopefully one of demelo or if schmidt is playing right side (although unsure if he's a good stylistic fit) can carry him.

the difference between quality of comp b/w pionk and morrissey is neglegible from what i understand (the analytics guys on twitter like garrett were pointing this out). i dont really think forbort is that much better than either beau or poolman. he had a good first 4-6 weeks but after that was pretty much on the same level imo. neverthless, morrissey's play independent of his partner is bad and has been for 3 years. rooting for him but at some point you have to be objective. perhaps one of the new acquisitions or demelo can carry him.
or perhaps they can carry their own weight instead of dragging him down.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
plenty of examples of Dmen on this team dragging terrible defenders to good on-ice results. and it's not just dragging players, morrissey himself looks washed too.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
This is pretty much where I’m at in my line of thinking. I don’t think DeMelo (or whomever) needs to “carry” Morrissey, they just have to be decent enough to not anchor him down.

I’ll be very concerned if Morrissey struggles again this year given the players we’ve put around him, and at the point his contract will become pretty tough to move.

Right now I think a lot of people on this board are being hard on Morrissey because we expect him to be the be the player he was when he was paired with Trouba and our core had six legit players (Buff/Chiarot/Trouba/Morrissey/Myers/Kulikov). I wish he could be that player but the circumstances are radically different when he’s paired with Poolman and Beaulieu and the rest of the core has guys like Forbort/Bitetto/Sbisa, etc.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
plenty of examples of Dmen on this team dragging terrible defenders to good on-ice results. and it's not just dragging players, morrissey himself looks washed too.
he looks pretty damn fine when he's not playing with beaulieu(an injured one at that) and poolman.

Reactions: Jets 31

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
in a market where seth jones got a huge trade package, along with a 70M+ contract

dillon got two 2nds.

Ristolainen returned a 1st+

a GM would give us a lot for Morrissey still i think.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
in a market where seth jones got a huge trade package, along with a 70M+ contract

dillon got two 2nds.

Ristolainen returned a 1st+

a GM would give us a lot for Morrissey still i think.

Yes, a GM would--and would give us a lot for Scheifele and Wheeler too.

The Jets don't trade their leadership group precisely because they value them highly on and off the ice. Your hypothetical trade is not going to happen.

You have made your views on Morrissey abundantly clear, but they are not widely shared. I will agree, however, that, providing he stays healthy, and with the support he now has at RD, he needs to have a strong year to justify the trust that has been invested in him.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
sorry meant to quote snowkiddin's post where he/she was saying morrisey's contract would be tough to move

nevertheless i agree that the liklihood of morrissey being dealt is V low. he's a tnse home-grown, wears an A etc, no matter how bad his on-ice play is he will be the top pair LD and get his minutes.

Yes, a GM would--and would give us a lot for Scheifele and Wheeler too.

The Jets don't trade their leadership group precisely because they value them highly on and off the ice. Your hypothetical trade is not going to happen.

You have made your views on Morrissey abundantly clear, but they are not widely shared. I will agree, however, that, providing he stays healthy, and with the support he now has at RD, he needs to have a strong year to justify the trust that has been invested in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad