Line Combos: Roster for 2021/2022 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
No I mean this year.... they are exactly their LTIR over the salary cap right now and just don't seem to carre

So to be clear the goals when using LTIR are either:

1) be as close to the cap as possible when rosters are handed in. A roster at exactly $81,500,000 (including Little) provides $5,297,391 in cap relief to be used over the season. The team has maximized its' cap relief.

or instead

2) be over the cap by exactly the player you intend to place on LTIR's salary. This has allowed a team to have already signed replacement player. Ideally the Jets will hand in a roster that totals $5,297,391 over. bit has already assembled a quality team with all that excess space. The team has maximized its cap relief

The term maximize isn't exclusive to either option.

In doesn't hurt to add that in neither case has the team likely actually maximized their cap space. What they are doing is playing with fire. If injuries occur then cap problems emerge forcing players to be waived, carry less than a 23 man roster, perhaps even necessitating a trade. Maximizing is a relative term. A team fully at the cap that didn't have a single injury maximized their cap, whereas a team that left $750,000 available was able to add a replacement level player for a full season.

It's been fun talking cap space, but our team is assembled.

Even Kovacevik is signed!

Last edited:
Reactions: JetsUK

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I think your roster is bang on. There's even enough money for Beaulieu in place of Niku.

As for maximizing LTIR, I've read it's a different process when the early LTIR options is used.

Technically the Jets will now be over the cap when rosters are handed in so regardless of what amount the Jets are over, be it $1 or $5,291,667, the Jets are effectively at $81,500,000 for the season.

Some clarification from someone would be great on this. I'd read something along these lines a few months back and there were ramifications cited for going about things in this manner.

Anyone?

That is how I interpreted it as well. That's why you want to get as close to cap+littles contract before submitting your roster. That way when we waive luotos 741k contract to run a 22 man roster, that 741k becomes your cushion. If we keep bealieau, I can't see an easy way of maximizing the ltir relief for a cushion that big.

Reactions: JetsUK

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Of course they care. Not caring & being blind to the process isn't how a GM functions. Further I'm referring to this year as well.

Here's all I know about using LTIR when the rosters are handed in. To keep the math simple we'll deal in approximates:

1) Salary cap is $81,500,000. Jets are over the cap by $1,000,000 counting Little who for this exercise we'll say makes $5 million
82.5 million (Jets cap hit) - $5 million = $77.5 million

2) Salary cap is $81,500,000. Jets are over the cap by $3,000,000 counting Little who for this exercise we'll say makes $5 million
84.5 million (Jets cap hit) - $5 million = $79.5 million

3) Salary cap is $81,500,000. Jets are over the cap by $5,000,000 counting Little who for this exercise we'll say makes $5 million
86.5 million (Jets cap hit) - $5 million = $81.5 million

In all three cases the Jets are considered to be fully at the cap of $81.5 million. In option one you'd assume the Jets have $4 million in cap space created on day one of the regular season, in option two, $2 million. This is not the case. In all three cases the Jets would have no extra cap space created.

This is why you always read about placing a player on LTIR after rosters are handed in, as that is how LTIR is maximized. That players contract can potentially be fully replaced under that scenario. Here's where "the closer you are to the cap the better" statement @Mathil8 originally made in his post applies.

Not so in this scenario, at least the way I understand it.

Now how this actually applies to the Jets daily cap hit is what I fully don't understand. I'm assuming the Jets can still accrue a daily savings by being below the daily cap hit and this amount will add up as the season progresses, hopefully to the point where that amount can be used for a trade deadline acquision, or be used to offset an injury.

Help?
See my last post, I may not be explaining it well enough, but it makes perfect sense to me.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Roslovic must feel like an idiot for holding out. Columbus has no hope of the playoffs and the Jets are contenders... Roslo would be third line in conversation for 1st/2nd line if Wheeler is declining.

I guess he'll get paid out in a couple years as their only talent left though...

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
So I guess its-

Connor Scheif Wheeler
Ehlers PLD Stats
Ves Lowry Copp
Harkins Gus Toninato

The key to this forward group IMO is PLD stepping up.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Going to call it now, by simply trading Beaulieu and calling up Luoto, we can get within 2k of the cap + Little's contract, thus easily maximizing our LTIR relief.

Then we can hand in our roster and then waive Luoto for the following 22 man roster:

Connor scheifele wheeler
Stastny Dubois Ehlers
Copp Lowry Ves
Harkins Gus Nash
Toninato

Morrissey Schmidt
Dillon pionk
Stanley demelo
Niku

Hellebuyck
Comrie

I would recommend playing with some scenarios where Cole Perfetti is on the opening day roster, then sent back down to the AHL on day 2. It would be highly beneficial for the Jets to do so as it allows them to get Perfetti's $500k of performance bonuses into the LTIR performance bonus pool. Giving more flexibility for callups as the season progresses.

The most simple option would be a temporary swap of Perfetti for Gustafsson since he is waiver exempt. That would also bump the day 1 roster up by $76.7k.

There may be more creative options depending on who the Jets are willing to waive and risk losing to claim.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
I would recommend playing with some scenarios where Cole Perfetti is on the opening day roster, then sent back down to the AHL on day 2. It would be highly beneficial for the Jets to do so as it allows them to get Perfetti's $500k of performance bonuses into the LTIR performance bonus pool. Giving more flexibility for callups as the season progresses.

The most simple option would be a temporary swap of Perfetti for Gustafsson since he is waiver exempt. That would also bump the day 1 roster up by $76.7k.

There may be more creative options depending on who the Jets are willing to waive and risk losing to claim.

It would be nice to see Perfetti get at least a few games to start the year too

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Scheifele is still suspended for game 1 of the season so Perfetti getting into game 1 actually isn't hard to imagine if he has a good training camp.

I keep forgetting about that lol.

Yeah give Cole a look if he performs well in camp.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
The lineup I'd like to see this year. In no order...

KV Scheif Ehlers
KC PLD Wheeler
Stastny Lowry Copper
Harkins Gus Nash
Tomato

JMo DD
Dillon Schmidt
Stanimal Pionk
Boolow

Helle Comrie (Alex Lyon if the Canes waive him)

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
How I see Maurice going:

Connor Scheifele Wheeler (may give Perfetti the opening game between these two due to Mark's suspension and to not mess with the other lines)
Stastny Dubois Ehlers
Copp Lowry Ves
Harkins Gus Nash

JoMo Schmidt
Dillion Pionk
Stanley DeMelo

Helle
Comrie

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
How I see Maurice going:

Connor Scheifele Wheeler (may give Perfetti the opening game between these two due to Mark's suspension and to not mess with the other lines)
Stastny Dubois Ehlers
Copp Lowry Ves
Harkins Gus Nash

JoMo Schmidt
Dillion Pionk
Stanley DeMelo

Helle
Comrie
Agree 100% if KV plays RW?
If not, he and Copper switch.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Agree 100% if KV plays RW?
If not, he and Copper switch.

He's switched between RW and LW pretty much as long as I've watched him, and like Ehlers likes to see the net and wire it or skate it in from either side. I don't see an issue there, really, except insofar as Mo wants him to defend on his strong side.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I wonder how much shuffling down to the moose chevy will do to accrue daily cap space so he can upgrade on comrie at the deadline.

Run 21 man rosters during homestands and lulls in the schedule. That would mean the "shufflers" would either have to be waiver exempt or unclaimable. The downside is that anyone on a 2-way deal would be stuck earning AHL money for those times

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
By mid season: (heads up this is a hot take)

Connor Scheifele Ehlers
Perfetti Stastny Wheeler
Copp Lowry Toninato
PLD Gus Nash

Could also see times where Perfetti and Copp are swapped and PLD is in Copp's spot

JoMo Schmidt
Dillion Pionk
Stanley DeMelo

Helle
externally acquired backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad