Roster Decisions

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I wonder if the Wild would be open to trading a defenseman for Andersen. They seem pretty desperate for goaltending. Dubas should be all over that

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
I guess we just magically gonna get good defencemen without trading a good forward right
Big difference between trading a good one, and one of your top 2. We're stuck with Tavares due to his NMC. Given the fact the league is now highly about speed, and he's never ever been a fast skater, he's an anchor we're stuck with. Kapanen and/or Nylander are likely the ones to be moved. Johnsson could be in the mix, but he's older than Kapanen, and had a shitton of injuries this season. At least with Kap, whatever team takes him knows they at least have him up to rfa so they have some bargaining power. Both Johnsson and Nylander are ufas.

It's also worth noting that Ceci and Barrie are almost guaranteed to walk. So there's a bunch of cap relief right there. As well as the retained salary on Lehner's contract. The big problem is what Freddie's going to ask for. He's at $5m per season, and after seeing how Bobrovsky basically robbed Florida, he's going to aim for no less than 8x5 imo. Then the season after that, you have Rielly, who's going to look for no less than $10m per for what's likely the max term.

The biggest problem is the Tavares signing. I can't believe Dubas thought that giving max term to a player who's already peaked was a good idea, meanwhile the team's D has as many holes as swiss cheese. He did really good with the Muzzin signing, but that's about it. He let McBackup walk in favour of a goalie who didn't even make the trip with his team to the playoffs.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I wonder if the Wild would be open to trading a defenseman for Andersen. They seem pretty desperate for goaltending. Dubas should be all over that
They're fans seem unwilling to make a single trade where they arent outright winning in value.

Offered Andersen for 2 2nds and they declined and said he doesnt have that kind of value.

A lot of them think Rental Brodin straight is fair for Nylander so doubt wed get anywhere on a trade for a defender unless it was Greg Pateryn and a 3rd for Andersen

I know fans dont make deals but minny is just a weird team in an odd situation. They should be rebuilding and unloading their old talent. They are good enough to be a competitive team for the western wildcard slots but not serious team to do playoff damage(I guess similar to the leafs sadly). Its hard to predict if they would want a solid starting goalie to push towards further playoff runs or if they ride out stalock or maybe a cheaper UFA tandem goalie

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
Kind of like Phil. It happens.
Would be more funny if Marner and Willie have career seasons after getting traded. Their fans constantly posting here saying it was a mistakes trading them away but Leafsnation get the last laugh as Leafs win the Cup

we want the same thing (leafs cup). leafs may not even be a playoff team if they act rashly

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
we want the same thing (leafs cup). leafs may not even be a playoff team if they act rashly
Depends on the return package though.
If the main piece is Willie or Marner for Manson. That’s the type of deal you avoid.
But if the deal is Willie, AJ and Dermott for Larsson and Drai, you take this deal.
Or Marner for Doughty at 40%retention, you take this deal.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
If we go by this qualifier series TO has many needs, if we go by this last year TO has as many needs.

Forwards that were good during the regular season and qualifier:

Matthews
Tavares
Nylander
Marner
Spezza
Engvall

I thought Hyman had a great regular season but was basically invisible during the qualifier and since his contract expires after the 20/21 season, I say sell high. He could return to the Hyman of old, all energy, little results.

Kappy, Kerfoot, Mikheyev, Johnsson are basically the same player in different shapes and sizes, they can score 20 goals, PK but 5v5 their overall games are lacking and they're either overpaid or soon will be in Mikheyev's case.

Clifford was noticeable 2 times in 5 games, pass, he's paid his dues and at his age I doubt he wants to continue to.

Goat, just go away.

Dmen who were good during the regular season and qualifier:

Muzzin

Rielly had a career year 2 years ago and I'm pretty sure that was an anomaly, streakily offensively gifted, defensively, well he's not streaky here..

Holl is cheap, 3rd pairing quality at best.

Bye, bye Barrie and Ceci. Ceci would be palatable at 1 mil. and as a 3rd pairing dman.

Dermott is going to be 24 this season and we wait and wait, is the grace period over, I think so.

Goalies

Freddy starts the season poorly and ends seasons poorly, hasn't thrived in the playoffs, is that his fault?

Campbell, who knows?

Most of these players have been around for awhile and they aren't getting the job done so I think it's time TO replace them, give the stars quality team mates and enable them to thrive.

horner

May 22, 2007
Unpopular suggestion, but maybe something to think about. Stop trying to desperately clamber for the perfect partner to play with Rielly, and realize that he's a one dimensional player in need of sheltering, whose market value is not commensurate with his contributions, and that we could probably get a good return for him.

You can't move Tavares (NMC). You shouldn't move Matthews (easily the best player on this team). You shouldn't move Nylander (good value contract, will probably lose that trade). If Marner is somebody other teams are interested in, I think you strongly consider moving him, just because his cap-hit is so high.

Andersen only has one year left on his contract, and had his only bad season in four years here...why move him now, and probably have to pay a premium for some UFA goalie? Muzzin just signed an extension and is our best all-round defenseman. Dermott is good, young, & versatile, and will be cheap (projected $1.8 mil) for the next two seasons, no need to trade him. Everybody else? Expendable for sure...some players are valuable contributors on the cheap, so you shouldn't have to trade them, but shuffling up the makeup of the roster outside of the core group would be a good thing -- as long as we don't lose major value in a scramble to cover for playing styles.
Iam sorry but Nylander didn't even break a sweat in game five .
I want player with a higher give a shit level .
To me ever player should be made available .

If a team wants these players Overpayment
Taveras, Mathews, Marner Nylander

I want my bottom 6 to have a higher give a shit meter.

Engcall and the goat big but wouldn't hurt a fly

Kerfoot Johnson and kappy very replaceable

Lets finally build the defence

One more note
Morgan Rielly is not worth 8 mil when his contract is up .
So we need to make a decision on him.

Free agent goaltenders
Lehner
Talbot

Free agent right dman
Brodie
Hamonic
Bogo
Demelo

Reactions: rumman and geo25

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Ceci 4.5
Barrie 2.75
Johnsson 3.4

Thats 10.65 million, minus Robertsons 850k to replace Johnssson. Then your at 9.8 million for 2 players to replace Ceci and Barrie. Leafs could offer Pietroangelo 9 million and play the KHL signing or vet minimum.

If im Leafs management im listening on Anderson, Reilly, Kapanen, Marner, Nylander.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Hyman Matthews Nylander
Xxx Tavares xxx
Mikheyev xxx xxx
Engvall xxxx (Barabanov)

Rielly xxx
Muzzin xxx
Dermott (Holl)

Andersen
Campbell

About 7 players needed i reckon

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
Big difference between trading a good one, and one of your top 2. We're stuck with Tavares due to his NMC. Given the fact the league is now highly about speed, and he's never ever been a fast skater, he's an anchor we're stuck with. Kapanen and/or Nylander are likely the ones to be moved. Johnsson could be in the mix, but he's older than Kapanen, and had a shitton of injuries this season. At least with Kap, whatever team takes him knows they at least have him up to rfa so they have some bargaining power. Both Johnsson and Nylander are ufas.

It's also worth noting that Ceci and Barrie are almost guaranteed to walk. So there's a bunch of cap relief right there. As well as the retained salary on Lehner's contract. The big problem is what Freddie's going to ask for. He's at $5m per season, and after seeing how Bobrovsky basically robbed Florida, he's going to aim for no less than 8x5 imo. Then the season after that, you have Rielly, who's going to look for no less than $10m per for what's likely the max term.

The biggest problem is the Tavares signing. I can't believe Dubas thought that giving max term to a player who's already peaked was a good idea, meanwhile the team's D has as many holes as swiss cheese. He did really good with the Muzzin signing, but that's about it. He let McBackup walk in favour of a goalie who didn't even make the trip with his team to the playoffs.

Tavares is nowhere near a problem. Dubas' biggest mistake was giving in to the Marner family demands. He wanted to be Matthews. Wanted the letter, wanted to fanfare, wanted the money.
Problem is, he's nowhere near the player.

Reactions: FrankGallagher

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
1st move
Trade kapanen and dermott for manson and maybe a pick. Dermott is not a bad d but he's not what leafs need

2nd move trade alex kerfoot and andreas johnsson for prospect/pick

3nd i try to sign someone between tanev, brodie or hamonic

3B, if i can't sign one of those 3, i look via trade market for maybe a hjalmarsson, devon toews or someone lime that.

Hyman-matthews-marner
Mikheyev-tavares-nylander
Robertson-engvall-barabanov/bracco
Brooks/gauthier/spezza
Or other ufa at low price

Rielly/(tanev as exemple)
Muzzin/Manson
Sandin or Lehtonen/holl

We need that kind of D. Top4 is more important for the leafs than a 10M 3rd line unable to contribute on scoring sheet during playoff.
[/QUOTE]
There are 2 viable options in free agency.
Pietrangelo who will cost a lot and Byfuglien who might be lured to play for 1 or 2 years for 6mm or so. We could get Byfuglien by not signing Ceci and Barrie. Any other trade is gravy. Byfuglien imo is the only viable option of having a competitive team without breaking the core.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Tavares is nowhere near a problem. Dubas' biggest mistake was giving in to the Marner family demands. He wanted to be Matthews. Wanted the letter, wanted to fanfare, wanted the money.
Problem is, he's nowhere near the player.
Signing Matthews first was his biggest mistake.

freewilly

Dec 5, 2017
i can live with the goat at league min as 4th line C waste of your 4th line, he's horrible at hockey
i can live with a 2/3 year 1m show me contract for soup ok
Hyman is fine at 2.25m if you think hyman only gets 2.25 on his extension, you haven't been paying attention
clifford at league min ,ok with me
Engvall at 1.25m,possible 3 C works

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
I would think the leafs quite easily do.... a 30 year old 5'10 defenseman and 32 year old 3rd line forward for a young elite winger?
He's a capable #2rhd signed at a great deal for 6 years and a big 2 way C.... seems to address our needs. Maybe throw a pick in to balance it out

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He's a capable #2rhd signed at a great deal for 6 years and a big 2 way C.... seems to address our needs. Maybe throw a pick in to balance it out
If moving Marner they would have to set their sights way higher than that.
Not really sure they would move Nylander for that.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
The forward looks a lot worse than now, having said that, the BIG 4 must play in 3 different lines in order to provide more depth scoring.

Ok just try to tell you than leafs 3rd line is not the most important thing

3rd line 40 ----> 30 goal from 3rd = -10
(kapanen 13, kerfoot 9, johnsson 8 stats of last season).

Goal allowed with an better d 222 ----> 202 = +20

Goal from blue line
if we upgrape our right side d, rielly, sandon/lehtonen and jake muzzin will be able to help our attack a little more
Rielly 6 ---->12 = + 6
Muzzin 6 ----> 10 = +4
Sandin/lehtonen 5 ---> 9 =. +4
Manson/tanev/holl 7 ---> 11 = +4
As exemple = +18

Total = +28

Ok its just an exemple of what upgrape our top4 d can do, yep maybe the 3rd line will produce a little less but that will significantly upgrape our team in general

There are 2 viable options in free agency.
Pietrangelo who will cost a lot and Byfuglien who might be lured to play for 1 or 2 years for 6mm or so. We could get Byfuglien by not signing Ceci and Barrie. Any other trade is gravy. Byfuglien imo is the only viable option of having a competitive team without breaking the core.

If Tanev didn't play with quinn Hugues last season, forget the season hugues had. Because of the strong defensive play of tanev that giving a lot of offensive liberty to hugues that's what leafs need with morgan rielly! Leafs don't necessary need a superstar, they need good partner to rielly and muzzin

Last edited:

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Ceci 4.5
Barrie 2.75
Johnsson 3.4

Thats 10.65 million, minus Robertsons 850k to replace Johnssson. Then your at 9.8 million for 2 players to replace Ceci and Barrie. Leafs could offer Pietroangelo 9 million and play the KHL signing or vet minimum.

If im Leafs management im listening on Anderson, Reilly, Kapanen, Marner, Nylander.
Good of you to forget the others who are already on the books for raises.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Ok just try to tell you than leafs 3rd line is not the most important thing

3rd line 40 ----> 30 goal from 3rd = -10
(kapanen 13, kerfoot 9, johnsson 8 stats of last season).

Goal allowed with an better d 222 ----> 202 = +20

Goal from blue line
if we upgrape our right side d, rielly, sandon/lehtonen and jake muzzin will be able to help our attack a little more
Rielly 6 ---->12 = + 6
Muzzin 6 ----> 10 = +4
Sandin/lehtonen 5 ---> 9 =. +4
Manson/tanev/holl 7 ---> 11 = +4
As exemple = +18

Total = +28

Ok its just an exemple of what upgrape our top4 d can do, yep maybe the 3rd line will produce a little less but that will significantly upgrape our team in general

Who the hell cares how many goals our defense corps scores?
We can expect 120-130 goals from 4 forwards alone. It’s not goal scoring that is an issue.
We can’t seem to keep the puck out of our net, out of our zone, and on the sticks of our forwards.
Let’s fix that first. If we get 5 goals all year from the defense, but limit the time in our zone significantly, the forwards we have will score more.
We’re not CBJ or NJ or Minny that can take 300 shots and not score.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Who the hell cares how many goals our defense corps scores?
We can expect 120-130 goals from 4 forwards alone. It’s not goal scoring that is an issue.
We can’t seem to keep the puck out of our net, out of our zone, and on the sticks of our forwards.
Let’s fix that first. If we get 5 goals all year from the defense, but limit the time in our zone significantly, the forwards we have will score more.
We’re not CBJ or NJ or Minny that can take 300 shots and not score.

The attack is about 5 player not 3 but 5 so yes dman production can have a huge factor. Juste imagine just one goal from blueline during that serie just one, maybe leafs still playing and columbus out. No we didn't have cbs but we've got rielly, sandin/lehtonen who can't play free because no body on that right side can defend well!!!! So they just playing safe until they trailing on scoreboard

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
when he is eating 2.5 million more cap hit per year ,,hrmm ya think he better?

puffing up points playing wing with Mathews or Tavares,,you find that impressive?

anytime a center comes close to the point totals of a winger,,the ties goes heavily to the much tougher position,,,center.
If Nylander going forward is a 30-40 goal 30-40 assist guy he will definitely be worth the 2.5M more than Kadri. Infact 7M will be a steal of a contract.

Kadri is a fine player, but let's not kid ourselves, Nylander is the better player. There were moments in the season where he honestly looked better than JT. Nylander at 7M was the only contract I think Dubas got right to be honest. I get why JT had to be signed at 11M but that contract is going to look real ugly in the future. With JT's best years we can't even get out of the first round. Matthews' deal should have had more term and Marner is 2M-3M overpaid. It's unfortunate that to get a good deal on our RFA's a hold out is necessary, but if that's the case Dubas definitely should have told Marner to sit his bum down. The fact that they landed at 10.9M I can't even imagine what Marner was asking for. 12 Maybe 13M with the contingency that he's Captain with Paul getting all inclusive access to anything and everything Leafs.

It's sad because I actually love Marner. I remember praying that we wouldn't take Strome or Hanifin. I was one of his biggest supports on this board during his draft. I legit went crazy when we drafted him. He's such a good player. That contract has really soured my overall feelings towards him though. Just too much money for the guy and that will hurt our team going forward.

Reactions: KingPapi

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
If Nylander going forward is a 30-40 goal 30-40 assist guy he will definitely be worth the 2.5M more than Kadri. Infact 7M will be a steal of a contract.

Kadri is a fine player, but let's not kid ourselves, Nylander is the better player. There were moments in the season where he honestly looked better than JT. Nylander at 7M was the only contract I think Dubas got right to be honest. I get why JT had to be signed at 11M but that contract is going to look real ugly in the future. With JT's best years we can't even get out of the first round. Matthews' deal should have had more term and Marner is 2M-3M overpaid. It's unfortunate that to get a good deal on our RFA's a hold out is necessary, but if that's the case Dubas definitely should have told Marner to sit his bum down. The fact that they landed at 10.9M I can't even imagine what Marner was asking for. 12 Maybe 13M with the contingency that he's Captain with Paul getting all inclusive access to anything and everything Leafs.

It's sad because I actually love Marner. I remember praying that we wouldn't take Strome or Hanifin. I was one of his biggest supports on this board during his draft. I legit went crazy when we drafted him. He's such a good player. That contract has really soured my overall feelings towards him though. Just too much money for the guy and that will hurt our team going forward.
again,i will say

i take Kadri at Center with a 4.5m cap hit every day over a winger who makes 7m and they produce similar numbers

let alone the intangibles kadri brings that nylander will never ever bring

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad