Roster Decisions

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
If moving Marner they would have to set their sights way higher than that.
Not really sure they would move Nylander for that.
I feel like considering the contracts, the value is equal. Unfortunately Marner is overpaid by about 2 mil.

Reactions: ACC1224

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Ceci 4.5
Barrie 2.75
Johnsson 3.4

Thats 10.65 million, minus Robertsons 850k to replace Johnssson. Then your at 9.8 million for 2 players to replace Ceci and Barrie. Leafs could offer Pietroangelo 9 million and play the KHL signing or vet minimum.

That's not how it works. Most of that money is already gone. If you ship out Johnsson and put Robertson in the lineup you have under 8.6M with 10 forwards and 3D signed. If you sign Spezza for league min and also sign Mik and Dermott for a total of 3M between the two of them and then insert Lehtonen into the lineup then you have 12F and 5D with 4.1M left for the other D spot - if you plan on carrying no spares - and that is, as I said, after shipping out Johnsson.

In this scenario I am using no spares with Sandin and Liljegren in the minors. Relying on emergency recall the Leafs would not only have to play one game short each time before they could use it, but they would have to use Marincin and/or Rosen on D (assuming they had both passed through waivers), as Sandin and Liljegren would not be eligible for recall. Korshkov would also not be eligible.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Big difference between trading a good one, and one of your top 2. We're stuck with Tavares due to his NMC. Given the fact the league is now highly about speed, and he's never ever been a fast skater, he's an anchor we're stuck with. Kapanen and/or Nylander are likely the ones to be moved. Johnsson could be in the mix, but he's older than Kapanen, and had a shitton of injuries this season. At least with Kap, whatever team takes him knows they at least have him up to rfa so they have some bargaining power. Both Johnsson and Nylander are ufas.

It's also worth noting that Ceci and Barrie are almost guaranteed to walk. So there's a bunch of cap relief right there. As well as the retained salary on Lehner's contract. The big problem is what Freddie's going to ask for. He's at $5m per season, and after seeing how Bobrovsky basically robbed Florida, he's going to aim for no less than 8x5 imo. Then the season after that, you have Rielly, who's going to look for no less than $10m per for what's likely the max term.

The biggest problem is the Tavares signing. I can't believe Dubas thought that giving max term to a player who's already peaked was a good idea, meanwhile the team's D has as many holes as swiss cheese. He did really good with the Muzzin signing, but that's about it. He let McBackup walk in favour of a goalie who didn't even make the trip with his team to the playoffs.
Tavares would not be going anywhere regardless of his NMC or not. Nylander is good but would not get us a defenceman that can play with Rielly that we can comfortably call a SOLID pairing. That leaves Marner. Plus I really would not mind that 10.9 off the cap, he is not worth it.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
again,i will say

i take Kadri at Center with a 4.5m cap hit every day over a winger who makes 7m and they produce similar numbers

let alone the intangibles kadri brings that nylander will never ever bring
like taking majors, and getting suspended 2 years in a row

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
like taking majors, and getting suspended 2 years in a row
you think that bothers me? i don't care at all that he got suspended

please, keep rolling out these gutless wonders that can't even qualify for the playoffs
you know who else did not care??? Joe Sakic Cols GM

Last edited:

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
you know who else did not care??? Joe Sakic Cols GM

Sakic has no reason to be concerned. Kadri was suspended twice here because the Leafs' were being abused and he felt that it was up to him to even the score as he was the only one available who could or would.

Colorado is not going to get abused like that. Just counting their D alone, they have Zadorov, Cole, Graves and Johnson.

Kadri was trying to balance an unbalanced team on his own. Colorado is properly balanced.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Some interesting tidbits mentioned on TSN Overdrive today...Because of the flat cap and budgetary constraints many teams will be facing this off season, they predicted that there will be an abundance of solid UFAs in their mid to late 20's available on the market that will be willing to take bargain basement contracts to avoid being left out in the cold when next season starts.

It would be the perfect time for Dubas to pounce to fill out our bottom 6 with some grit and add some defensive depth. It would also provide flexibility to shed some salary via trades.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Tavares would not be going anywhere regardless of his NMC or not. Nylander is good but would not get us a defenceman that can play with Rielly that we can comfortably call a SOLID pairing. That leaves Marner. Plus I really would not mind that 10.9 off the cap, he is not worth it.
Give me a list of 5 #1 dmen that you would be targeting with a Marner that are likely to be given up.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Sakic has no reason to be concerned. Kadri was suspended twice here because the Leafs' were being abused and he felt that it was up to him to even the score as he was the only one available who could or would.

Colorado is not going to get abused like that. Just counting their D alone, they have Zadorov, Cole, Graves and Johnson.

Kadri was trying to balance an unbalanced team on his own. Colorado is properly balanced.
So you were glad Kadri was traded because Kadri felt it was up to him to even the score because the leafs were being abused?

x15Kotkaniemi15x

May 22, 2011
Toronto
Habs fan here, make of that what you will....

But I just put up a video on what I think the Leafs need to do this off-season. Would appreciate Leaf fans support too, as I'm based out of the wonderful city of Toronto!

Reactions: hamzarocks

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Some interesting tidbits mentioned on TSN Overdrive today...Because of the flat cap and budgetary constraints many teams will be facing this off season, they predicted that there will be an abundance of solid UFAs in their mid to late 20's available on the market that will be willing to take bargain basement contracts to avoid being left out in the cold when next season starts.

It would be the perfect time for Dubas to pounce to fill out our bottom 6 with some grit and add some defensive depth. It would also provide flexibility to shed some salary via trades.
no, it won't be

the ufa list is crazy thin of "depth players" that match the needs

the best we can offer are league mins of 700k,,,something tells me we will be out bid

and lets face it,,the shine/lure of "well at least i am joining a cup contender" is long long gone.

IF we can see it,,what ya think those in the real know aka agents/nhl players think?

we LITERALLY have 3 players with playoff level grit,,,Muzz/Riel/Hym,,,some are skilled enough where lack of grit can be ok ,,Matty/Tavs and that's it

i have watched these real playoff games and we have no idea at all what playoff grit looks like,,we are so so soy

Reactions: Gabriel426

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
no, it won't be

the ufa list is crazy thin of "depth players" that match the needs

the best we can offer are league mins of 700k,,,something tells me we will be out bid

and lets face it,,the shine/lure of "well at least i am joining a cup contender" is long long gone.

IF we can see it,,what ya think those in the real know aka agents/nhl players think?

we LITERALLY have 3 players with playoff level grit,,,Muzz/Riel/Hym,,,some are skilled enough where lack of grit can be ok ,,Matty/Tavs and that's it

i have watched these real playoff games and we have no idea at all what playoff grit looks like,,we are so so soy
Have Leafs lured any vets beside Spezza?
Think that’s always the illusion.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Habs fan here, make of that what you will....

But I just put up a video on what I think the Leafs need to do this off-season. Would appreciate Leaf fans support too, as I'm based out of the wonderful city of Toronto!

HUH,,your presentation is rock solid
your view point is on point and fair
but you need to drop the Habs back ground and soften the "i am a habs fan' acknowledgement ,,,when you are posting about the other 31 teams(it corners you),,,save that for when you make Habs vids

lets be honest here, fans don't hear clearly when a big fan of another team speak.

for many all they hear/think is bias/salt yada yada

you have a chance to make a "the hockey guy" level channel

8/10 rating :)

Reactions: x74Pacioretty74x

Ron ellis

May 26, 2018
Stick with first 2 lines for one more try,Hyman, matthews,marner,mikheyev,tavares and nylander. In goal keep Anderson and campbell on defence Reilly and muzzin all else up for debate.
May keep one of kapanen, kerfoot or johnsson but let 2 go for cheaper more rugged guys that play playoff hockey.Robertson needs to play somewhere and maybe Holl as a 3rd pair dman.
That's 68 mil with Mik SIGNED FOR 2 MILLION ON 13 GUYS.
NEED 4 FORWARDS 3 DMAN USE SANDIN ,BARBANOV,and lehtonen roughly 2.7 mil so 71 mil on 16 guys sign gudas for 3 mil that's 74 mil on 17 men.
That's 7.5 million left for3 guys ,use call ups for injuries.try for a 5 million dollars man and 2 league minimum grinders for 4th line with more toughness.
So then you have 2 high end offensive lines and 2 playoff tough and hard to play against forward lines, goal should be OK for now and d would be iffy but solid Reilly, muzzin gudas, sandin, holl, lehtonen and a 5 million pick up (which should be gotten by free agent route or trade of 3rd line guys)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad