Roster Decisions

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Put on your GM hat and provide your opinion regarding changes to the roster this off season that will benefit the club moving forward. I have listed the players under contract for next season and our RFAs by position that would be projected to be in the starting lineup.

Centre:
Matthews
Tavares
Kerfoot
Engvall
Gauthier

Left Wing:
Hyman
Mikheyev
Johnsson
Robertson

Right Wing:
Marner
Nylander
Kapanen

Defence:
Rielly
Muzzin
Dermott
Holl
Sandin
Marincin
Liljegren

Goaltender:
Andersen
Campbell

The glaring hole to fill is a reliable defence partner for Rielly. I would strongly consider moving Marner or Nylander to fill the void.

Up front, we need grit in the bottom six. I would look to move Kerfoot, Kapanen and Johnsson and replace them with hard nosed players that can also chip in offensively.

In goal, I would shop Andersen to recoup assets before he becomes a UFA. It's unlikely that he will sign a contract extension in Toronto. There are many capable starting goaltenders available as UFAs that could form a solid tandem with Campbell.

What are your thoughts?

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
On the block:

Marner
Nylander
Johnsson
Kapanen
Dermott
Holl
Andersen

Not saying I'd move all of them, but at minimum I think one of Johnsson/Kapanen, Marner/Nylander, and Dermott will be traded.

Andersen is an interesting case, I don't like the idea of re-signing him to a big money contract, but basically every goalie in UFA has question marks surrounding them, and we know how tough it can be to find a legitimate starting goaltender. Could be years or even a decade again.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
On the block:

Marner
Nylander
Johnsson
Kapanen
Dermott
Holl
Andersen

Not saying I'd move all of them, but at minimum I think one of Johnsson/Kapanen, Marner/Nylander, and Dermott will be traded.

Andersen is an interesting case, I don't like the idea of re-signing him to a big money contract, but basically every goalie in UFA has question marks surrounding them, and we know how tough it can be to find a legitimate starting goaltender. Could be years or even a decade again.

Good list - I just don't think Dermott will be moved though.

He's young, coming off of an average year, and with a flat cap, can be signed for pretty cheap - this team needs cheap players. There's still the possibility that he can progress into a top 4 guy as well, on a team that currently doesn't have enough bodies on the blueline.

Just 3 (Mo, Muzzin, Dermott).

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I'd trade everyone/anyone if it improves the team, even AM! I'm less concerned with the name on the back of the jersey that the emblem on the front. If it improves the team I make the trade..............

Reactions: The Spring Samauri

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Marner 5 years @10.893 for Ekblad 5 years @7.5

Or

Nylander 4 years @6.96 for Manson 2 years @4.1 and Rakell 2 years @2.84 (25% retention)

Johnsson to Ottawa for some combination of their six 2nd & 3rd round picks.

A domino has to fall, we can't continue icing a Value Village defense and a Nordstrom Rack offense.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
On the block:

Marner
Nylander
Johnsson
Kapanen
Dermott
Holl
Andersen

The only player who is not on the block for me is Tavares - and that is only because of his NMC - cause I would also talk to him about his intentions.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I'd trade everyone/anyone if it improves the team, even AM! I'm less concerned with the name on the back of the jersey that the emblem on the front. If it improves the team I make the trade..............
Pretty hard to win a trade for Matthews.

Everyone else is replaceable.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!

Or

Nylander 4 years @6.96 for Manson 2 years @4.1 and Rakell 2 years @2.84 (25% retention)

A domino has to fall, we can't continue icing a Value Village defense and a Nordstrom Rack offense.
:huh::ha::ha::shakehead:shakehead

Reactions: Ulysses31

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto

Or

Marner for Ekblad works for me.

Not so much the other deals.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Marner for Ekblad works for me.

I would do Marner for Ekblad without a second thought. I would add a + if needed to get the deal done. Don't know how big of a plus.

That is not a Hall for Larsson type trade that many are worried about. Larsson was a defensive D who has never produced. Ekblad is a great all around, big RHD, who was 3rd in 5v5 points among D this season (1 fewer than Marner in 8 more games).

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Suggested this at the start of the year:
Marner + ? (Johnsson?)
for
David Savard
Boone Jenner
Josh Anderson

Trade Kerfoot for anyone with testicles.

Target Nicolas Roy. He’s a solid player and good RH 3-4 centre who plays both sides of the puck. I think has a bit more offensive talent than he’s shown to this point and could be a ‘buy low’ candidate.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Pretty hard to win a trade for Matthews.

Everyone else is replaceable.
I would if the deal made the team better, not saying that that trades out there, but if it was I'd do it.............

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
The answer is obvious to all, shop the wingers for defenceman and picks.

There's absolute no reason to keep Johnsson. Paying 3.4 million for bottom 6 forward who doesn't bring grit is not a wise investment. His offense can be replaced with Engvall or Robertson. His role as top 6 LW as been taken by the superior Mikheyev. The dude got outproduced by old man Spezza this year for crying out loud.

Kapanen was rumored to be able to land a legit defenceman that can help at the deadline. Do that you fools. Yes, his production might improve on another team, but he's not beating out Nylander or Marner for top 6 minutes. He is wildly inconsistent, even if he brings Grit and penalty killing.

I think, due to cap ramifications, eventually this team will need to pick one of Hyman or Kerfoot. I side with Hyman unless his agent plays the same game Nylander and Marner did and asks for 1.5-2 million more than he deserves. I'm pretty worried with Dubas on this one. The agent might use TJ Oshie as a comparison and the leafs better not view Hyman that highly.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Hym/Matty/Soup
Rober/Tav/Kappy
Grit grunt with size/engvall(with a warning, play with grit or else)/Grit grunt with size
Korsh/Goat(with warning, play with grit or else)/Bara
Brooks

Rielly/return for Marner
Muzz/return for Melander
Sandin/Holl

Derm/Lilly

andy
camp

kerf/johns/kappy,,, gone for futures and cap relief for grit grinders

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I would if the deal made the team better, not saying that that trades out there, but if it was I'd do it.............
For Matthews I would need an equal or better franchise centre coming back.

There are very few of those to begin with, and none that are available.

Reactions: 67Leafs67

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
Unpopular suggestion, but maybe something to think about. Stop trying to desperately clamber for the perfect partner to play with Rielly, and realize that he's a one dimensional player in need of sheltering, whose market value is not commensurate with his contributions, and that we could probably get a good return for him.

You can't move Tavares (NMC). You shouldn't move Matthews (easily the best player on this team). You shouldn't move Nylander (good value contract, will probably lose that trade). If Marner is somebody other teams are interested in, I think you strongly consider moving him, just because his cap-hit is so high.

Andersen only has one year left on his contract, and had his only bad season in four years here...why move him now, and probably have to pay a premium for some UFA goalie? Muzzin just signed an extension and is our best all-round defenseman. Dermott is good, young, & versatile, and will be cheap (projected $1.8 mil) for the next two seasons, no need to trade him. Everybody else? Expendable for sure...some players are valuable contributors on the cheap, so you shouldn't have to trade them, but shuffling up the makeup of the roster outside of the core group would be a good thing -- as long as we don't lose major value in a scramble to cover for playing styles.

Reactions: geo25

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
The answer is obvious to all, shop the wingers for defenceman and picks.

There's absolute no reason to keep Johnsson. Paying 3.4 million for bottom 6 forward who doesn't bring grit is not a wise investment. His offense can be replaced with Engvall or Robertson. His role as top 6 LW as been taken by the superior Mikheyev. The dude got outproduced by old man Spezza this year for crying out loud.

Kapanen was rumored to be able to land a legit defenceman that can help at the deadline. Do that you fools. Yes, his production might improve on another team, but he's not beating out Nylander or Marner for top 6 minutes. He is wildly inconsistent, even if he brings Grit and penalty killing.

I think, due to cap ramifications, eventually this team will need to pick one of Hyman or Kerfoot. I side with Hyman unless his agent plays the same game Nylander and Marner did and asks for 1.5-2 million more than he deserves. I'm pretty worried with Dubas on this one. The agent might use TJ Oshie as a comparison and the leafs better not view Hyman that highly.
Here here .. wingers can be easily replaced ... defenders are hard to come by ... i will add we need a goalie too

Reactions: CapspaceKiller

Icejoker

Sep 14, 2015
If You only look at the +/- , for the columbus serie , the only player on + is Matthews and the regular season + play in Matthews is +20 the worst player is Tavares -10.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
They have to start looking at moving on from 2/3 of Johnsson, Kapanen, and Kerfoot. These supplementary forwards aren't good enough in the playoffs nor do they help round out the team's offense.

Using these assets and/or combining them with others to work on the backend is essential.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I can count on one hand the number of guys that I definitively want back on this roster.

Matthews
Tavares
Rielly
Muzzin
Campbell

That’s it. Everyone else can get bent as far as I’m concerned.

Last edited:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
i Don't move Rielly for anything, full stop,,,well anything that would ever be offered.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Unpopular suggestion, but maybe something to think about. Stop trying to desperately clamber for the perfect partner to play with Rielly, and realize that he's a one dimensional player in need of sheltering, whose market value is not commensurate with his contributions, and that we could probably get a good return for him.

You can't move Tavares (NMC). You shouldn't move Matthews (easily the best player on this team). You shouldn't move Nylander (good value contract, will probably lose that trade). If Marner is somebody other teams are interested in, I think you strongly consider moving him, just because his cap-hit is so high.

Andersen only has one year left on his contract, and had his only bad season in four years here...why move him now, and probably have to pay a premium for some UFA goalie? Muzzin just signed an extension and is our best all-round defenseman. Dermott is good, young, & versatile, and will be cheap (projected $1.8 mil) for the next two seasons, no need to trade him. Everybody else? Expendable for sure...some players are valuable contributors on the cheap, so you shouldn't have to trade them, but shuffling up the makeup of the roster outside of the core group would be a good thing -- as long as we don't lose major value in a scramble to cover for playing styles.
A team that has terrible defensive depth and you want Rielly out :ha:

Dermott is "good"? and 1.8m per?? right now i say both of those are hard no

Last edited:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I can count on one hand the number of guys that I definitively want back on this roster.

Matthews
Tavares
Rielly
Muzzin
Campbell

That’s it. Everyone else can get bent as far as I’m concerned.
i can live with the goat at league min as 4th line C
i can live with a 2/3 year 1m show me contract for soup
Hyman is fine at 2.25m
clifford at league min ,ok with me
Engvall at 1.25m,possible 3 C works

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
i Don't move Rielly for anything, full stop,,,well anything that would ever be offered.
I see it as the better the player the less likely they get moved simply because the stakes are that much higher for both teams involved in a trade.

A couple of the responses to my suggestion that I'd move even AM were looking for a argument that you never move him, which I completely disagree with.

If swapping players makes the team better do it, I don't get attached to players even the ones I like, they're tools in a coaches toolbox to be used accordingly. If all you have is screwdrivers and you need a hammer, well hopefully a team with a great hammer is interested in a screwdriver, even a gold plated one.

Ditto for Rielly, if it made sense I'd move him, however since the Leafs need D I can't see that happening.

Falling in love with players is a bad idea, fall in love with the team, they'll be around for the long run...........

Reactions: geo25

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad