Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXVI: The End (The Apocalypse Is Now)

Status
Not open for further replies.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I think you could see them kick the tires on Bennett, Jost, guys of that nature.

I don't think Glass or Hayton or going anywhere for a while. They're too close to their top prospect status, and there's not a ton of incentive for their teams to jump ship now.

I'd look at guys in that 22-25 age range.
There's something about Jost, that instinctually/gut feeling, that he has a lot more to give.... He's 21.. I cant remember what the f*** I was doing when I was 21.. definitely not being a professional

I'd take a chance for a fair value trade... Lias. ...

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
There's something about Jost, that instinctually/gut feeling, that he has a lot more to give.

I'd take a chance for a fair value trade... Lias. ...

I would say the Rangers could be on the lookout for a similar (though not identical) ROI to the one they received with Strome. Former high picks, at fairly lost costs, with moderate expectations.

Seeing if they can find a role, maybe get comfortable, and then start to put the pieces together. Not guys that would come with a high price tag for that gamble, but maybe something more moderate. I think they'd also like guys who, like Strome, maybe can give them a look at a couple of different positions and in a few different roles.

Kind of like I mentioned the Rangers approaching this deadline looking for talent from that 2016 draft class. I think the summer could expand that window to more of the 2013-2016 range.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Kinda figured the Rangers would be kicking the tires on Hanafin. There's a lot of talent there, but he just hasn't been able to build on it. Calgary just never seemed like a great fit for him. He's also signed to a pretty reasonable contract but he brings expansion considerations into the fold.

Bennett and Jost are guys I continue to like. Either is a guy I could see being a nice fit on the LW with Chytil and Kakko for next season. Forecheck, keep it simple, and get to the net.

Reactions: TheBloodyNine

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I mean you're listing a single team deep with future HOFs and sprinkled with a couple of perennial All-Stars. Most teams mature into true contenders with experience (so coming from vets) as opposed to being one from the get go.

You’re making my point for me.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Kinda figured the Rangers would be kicking the tires on Hanafin. There's a lot of talent there, but he just hasn't been able to build on it. Calgary just never seemed like a great fit for him. He's also signed to a pretty reasonable contract but he brings expansion considerations into the fold.

Bennett and Jost are guys I continue to like. Either is a guy I could see being a nice fit on the LW with Chytil and Kakko for next season. Forecheck, keep it simple, and get to the net.

The key is finding a fair price point on a reclamation project. It’s easy to want to pounce on a kid at the first sign of trouble, but even if the other team is willing to move him, you end up paying a premium based on pedigree.

The value deals are often for guys in that 22-25 range who are starting to mature and for whom you don’t have to pay a ransom. So I’d keep an eye out around the league and look for guys who might fall into that range this summer.

Same thing with potential free agents, maybe guys a little older then the reclamation age, who could come in a value, short-term deal. Guys like Jason Ward about 15 years back, or Pouliot a few years ago.

Reactions: egelband

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
At this point, it would be very hard to fit from a salary and position perspective.

While Keller is still my dark horse “bigger name” to be moved in the next 12 months, I think the Kreider re-signing removes us from that conversation.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
no but trading skjei resolves this issue unless we bring in another dman that needs to be protected...we have to protect Trouba and now can protect DeAngelo and Lindgren as our 3 dmen. Fox is exempt. We'd have to expose Hajek, but given our LD depth and forward depth if Seattle takes Hajek I'm ok with that.

We'll probably need to sign a dman to satisfy the 40/70 rule unless Hajek is going to play more next year. He only has 28 games this year, so he needs 40 next year, or a combination of 42 more games between this year and next.

I would 100% dress Hajek for 12 games to satisfy our expansion requirement. I'm guessing they take a F anyway.

Ho-sang is in the Pool-party range in that I think the illusion of his potential and abilities has long since eclipsed the abilities and reality of what he's done.

I'd trade LA for JP 1 for 1, but not for JHS.

Just trade Lias for puljujärvi and then praise the lord for Lundell.

Kakko - Lundell - Pulju

I'd be happy, no doubt.

Love Lindgren just hope his Style of play doesn’t catch up to his frame . He’s tough as nails but not a big guy . I think that was what Rat weasel Marchand was referring to in his he won’t be in the league long . Look at Giradi that guy was built like a brick shitbouse and between blocking shots and just regular hitting he was cooked quick .

LOVE Lindgren's game, but hope he doesn't take the Sauer train...

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
On a team that has stockpiled Kravtsov, Kakko, Buch, and Gauthier on the right side, I'm not sure Pool-party is necessarily their primary target.

I get the sense that all things considered, they're probably looking for a third line LW, a middle six forward who plays more of a North-South type game and brings a little sandpaper.

I'm not sure JP really fits any of those parameters.

I’m not advocating for Pulju but I’m hoping Buchnevich isn’t in the long term plans. He’s just too one dimensional and inconsistent for me. I’m also not sure I see him being all that successful in a playoff atmosphere. I always had it on my mind that he or Kreider would be dealt, and it’s obviously not going to be Kreider at this point.

I’m hopeful with Kravstov, but he’s not exactly a sure thing at this point either.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I think it was reported that the Lias for JP ship has sailed. Edmonton didn't see any upside in Lias.

Edmonton isn’t exactly renowned for scouting but you have to think this is true. The kid never flashed at the NHL level during the regular season and seems like he might be a head case to boot.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Definitely getting a call up and may aswell bring the 7th D up too?

Thing is if it’s Hajek then he should play and not sure I see them sitting Smith or Staal right now

Tossed Medal

Jan 23, 2020
At what point is what you see is what you get with Chytil . He’s very very young still but he doesn’t really drive play other than individual effort . He needs a lotta work on his slowing it down in the offensive zone , possession style of play . Might’ve been a big mistake not signing Hayes as I’m not sure that Fil has the vision , ability / IQ to be more than a good one on one player off the rush . I hope I’m wrong but at some point he needs to be able to slow play down and make some plays beyond shooting off the rush . Maybe it’s that we haven’t full committee to him as a center yet and yo yo him between wing and C . He has the size , skating and shot in just not seeing the sustained pressure and possession enough out of him .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad