Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXIII: 33rd thread twds the line of dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
And yet some teams go a decade or more without making the playoffs. The Rangers missed 7 straight years from 97-04. I was/am all in on the rebuild, but if it's going to mean we miss the playoffs for 5+ years, I'm going to call it a failure. We are trending in the right direction, though. We are in a part of the rebuild where making the playoffs has to become an expectation next season. We have a pretty deep farm system--hopefully we can add some more quality pieces to it this year--but we aren't going to build this team entirely through the draft and simply wait for the kids to mature. We signed Panarin. We traded for and signed Trouba. There are going to be other moves to improve the team and get us where we want to go. Given our cap situation, that probably means trades more than free agent signings. Either way, it's time to start putting the pieces together. We've collected a bunch of quality assets, now we have to use those assets to shape the team into a contender.

They missed the playoffs last two years in a row, if they miss them this year it would be the 3rd. This is not the dark ages we are talking about.

Reactions: mschmidt64

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I doubt we get a guy like Holtz/Raymond (or Sutuzle, Byfeld, Lafraneire or Rossi or Drysdale)

Well we won't if we're picking at 12.

Either we need to slip in the standings a bit or we will need to trade up or some combination of both.

I would say, yes, it is disconcerting to me that we've gone on this tear, because it's really not proving anything about the long-term prospects of the team, and it's gonna end up costing us a shot at another all-star caliber prospect. We'll end up with Jack Drury instead of Tim Stutzle.

Those kind of trade-offs make or break future Cup Winners, where we could be sitting here in 2026 thinking "Man, if we just had one more 60-point scorer, that would have been the difference in getting over the hump in that Game Seven 1-0 loss to the Lightning."

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
And yet some teams go a decade or more without making the playoffs. The Rangers missed 7 straight years from 97-04. I was/am all in on the rebuild, but if it's going to mean we miss the playoffs for 5+ years, I'm going to call it a failure. We are trending in the right direction, though. We are in a part of the rebuild where making the playoffs has to become an expectation next season. We have a pretty deep farm system--hopefully we can add some more quality pieces to it this year--but we aren't going to build this team entirely through the draft and simply wait for the kids to mature. We signed Panarin. We traded for and signed Trouba. There are going to be other moves to improve the team and get us where we want to go. Given our cap situation, that probably means trades more than free agent signings. Either way, it's time to start putting the pieces together. We've collected a bunch of quality assets, now we have to use those assets to shape the team into a contender.

Yeah, the way this team is going, there is just no way it's gonna miss the playoffs 5+ years in a row. It probably makes the playoffs next year and doesn't look back.

But that again remains the point of why it's so important to maximize this year and this draft pick: It's probably our last time picking high and our last time selling off for quite some time.

Make this year count.... get a final star in the making, as best you can.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
They missed the playoffs last two years in a row, if they miss them this year it would be the 3rd. This is not the dark ages we are talking about.

I know, but I think the expectation will be to make the playoffs next season. This season we are flirting with it, and that's awesome, but I don't think anyone was, or is now, expecting us to make it. If we do, great. If not, take our pick and hope we hit the lottery.

If we don't make the playoffs next year or the year after, then I think the success of the rebuild has to come into question.

Reactions: jas

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
You people are losing your minds and all the Rangers have done today is announce their lineup for the game tonight. Good lord. Why is everyone freaking out about the rebuild being over?

I'm not freaking. Bottom line is that come Monday, Kreider will be a Ranger or he won't. If he is, no matter what the contract ends up being, no one will even begin to be able to judge it for another 3 years minimum. If he isn't, no one will even begin to be able to judge the return for another 2 years minimum. The only way I freak out is if he goes to UFA after this season and we get nothing for him.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
I didn't say we were gonna trade for one.

I think it's its still an objective for us to try to acquire one of the best 6-7 forwards in this draft. I would place them on par with a Newhook-caliber prospect.

No, it IS realistic. I don't know why you keep insisting it's not.

We have the assets and the opportunity to make it happen.

Maybe a straight trade for Newhook isn't realistic... but there are players out there, draftable players, if nothing else, that we need to be aggressive in chasing. It's very realistic, but it just probably requires finding ways to liquidate either a player like Kreider, or players like Buch and Skjei, etc.

Yeah, you keep saying that, but there's no reason that it's not feasible if you are willing to trade from a surplus of something you have to obtain it. But it might mean losing something you'd otherwise want to keep.... like Kreider.

You don't need the first or second pick to get a top-line or top-6 caliber forward. But a top 10 pick is extremely helpful to that end.

And I'd say, at least one more year (this one). After that, it's all systems go, I'd say.

The Bruins have been to 3 Cup Finals though. They have had decade-long staying power and with a couple breaks they could have more than 1 Cup.

But yeah, the Bruins have taken some later-in-the-first draft luck. We can go for luck... or, we can sacrifice a little more of the "now," and end up with a higher draft pick where not so much luck is needed.

So one more top 10 pick and they're ready to go?

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
If there's no first rounder involved then the prospect needs to Be Studnicka and I doubt Boston does that.

If not Studnicka then perhaps Vaakanaien and Beecher are on the table along with some conditional picks. Kase is due to come off the IR on Monday (please correct me if I'm wrong) and plays RW and if Boston is really going for it then clearing enough cap makes sense.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Forget it. If Kreider gets dealt, Zibanejad is the next on the hot list. Gotta chase the mythical perfect lineup, you know.

Sure, especially in the context of his health but Zibanejad's new contract lines up a lot better with the Rangers expected window for contention. Big difference.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Are they getting lehner.m back? Lol
He never left, bro

robin-lehner.jpg

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Almost guaranteed Sorokin made it clear he wanted certain things in his ELC and if he didn't get them he wouldn't come over, so Lou moved him

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Yeah, the way this team is going, there is just no way it's gonna miss the playoffs 5+ years in a row. It probably makes the playoffs next year and doesn't look back.

But that again remains the point of why it's so important to maximize this year and this draft pick: It's probably our last time picking high and our last time selling off for quite some time.

Make this year count.... get a final star in the making, as best you can.

As someone said earlier, I don't think it's a binary thing. If we can get Kreider on a discount, I'm happy to re-sign him. He makes us a better team. If we can't re-sign him, trade him and take the assets. In either case, we need to wait and see what other moves Gorton has up his sleeve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino