Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXIII: 33rd thread twds the line of dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I am not sure why them making the playoffs is such a great sign of success, ~half the league makes them.

If their goal is just going back to the anything can happen thing, and if/when it does not, they are back to the retooling thing, I'm going to feel as if I've seen similar approaches in the past. Rangers are going to be the Rangers I guess.

Right on. Building a playoff team is probably already accomplished.

I want a super power.

Some people are so invested in debunking that that's a possibility and I do not understand why.

It's very real. It just requires sacrificing some non-long term pieces. Kreider is one.

There are other ways around that, maybe. I think Kreider makes the most sense to be moved and I don't see a long term role here for him inside the top 6 if we get another stud like Holtz or Raymond, but.... if you want to trade Skjei, Buch, and Strome instead, that might accomplish the same objectives I'm trying for.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
upload_2020-2-21_12-53-54.png

Hello?

Yes? Is there a man who looks like he knows trade rumors there?

Yes, hockey.

He would have a face like he is exasperated from answering questions but also confused.

Great, thank you, please put him on. Also, please buy him his next drink on me.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
LOL - I googled that number...I work directly across the street. Catch me at the downstairs bar.

It was my father's spot for years and years and years.

They named a damn dish after him for a while.

I've spent more time in there that I ever would've wanted.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I never once said there aren’t deficiencies. Basically, I’ve said for months now, the biggest need is a legitimate 1LD. But, I think that’s more likely coming in a trade than from another 1st round pick. I saw d it at the time , but the truth is, signing changed the timeline. I expect this team to make the playoffs next year/. And, that could mean some of the prospects people have fallen in love could be moved. The clock already started.
Exactly. Keane? Moved. Trouba's partner? Be prepared that Lundqvist is a part of that deal.

People seem to forget that one of the reasons to accumulate assets isn't to only watch and see them skate and become Rangers. It's to gain ammo to make moves that shore up other weaknesses. Which is why draft picks are the perfect currency.

Reactions: Riche16 and jas

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
I didn't say we were.

Kreider probably doesn't retain his level of play for 5 years. Panarin and Zbad, I'd hope they are, but I'm not sure. I am aiming for a group of forwards to build around with Kakko, Kravtsov and Chytil, so as to also insulate that WHEN Panarin and Zbad drop off, we have plug-ins ready to go.

Hence why I've said I think we need 1-2 more top-6 types. And that I'm willing to wait one more year to begin our playoff runs. 3 years is not some long stretch.... its very comparable to what Chicago, LA, Pittsburgh, and the Bruins all did. That's what I want to model after.

And an excellent job they did at doing so. Let's get another pick in that range for this year then so we can take another shot at that kind of player.

Livid? No. But odds are odds. We have better odds the lower we get, that's just reality.

"If there was a way to keep them AND get a player of Newhook's caliber,"

You didn't say that?

I'm sure everyone here would love another 2 top 6 forwards, it's just not realistic. You're not gonna have a top 6 of all 23 year olds, it's just no happening. You're trying to construct a team under these perfect scenarios, that's not the real world. And who's to say they won't have two first round picks this year? But if this draft is as amazing as you're making it out be, how many teams are going to trade out of the top 10? Yes, I get the Penguins and Blackhawks are the model by which all teams should be constructed but again, it's not realistic for the Rangers because they've already hit rock bottom. How many years do you want to suck in hopes of landing the first or second pick. They got lucky last year, you think it's gonna happen again?

And the Bruins have one Stanley cup since 1972 and that was 9 years ago and one of their best players was drafted 25th.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
Right on. Building a playoff team is probably already accomplished.

I want a super power.

Some people are so invested in debunking that that's a possibility and I do not understand why.

It's very real. It just requires sacrificing some non-long term pieces. Kreider is one.

There are other ways around that, maybe. I think Kreider makes the most sense to be moved and I don't see a long term role here for him inside the top 6 if we get another stud like Holtz or Raymond, but.... if you want to trade Skjei, Buch, and Strome instead, that might accomplish the same objectives I'm trying for.

I doubt we get a guy like Holtz/Raymond (or Sutuzle, Byfeld, Lafraneire or Rossi or Drysdale)

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I am not sure why them making the playoffs is such a great sign of success, ~half the league makes them.

If their goal is just going back to the anything can happen thing, and if/when it does not, they are back to the retooling thing, I'm going to feel as if I've seen similar approaches in the past. Rangers are going to be the Rangers I guess.

And yet some teams go a decade or more without making the playoffs. The Rangers missed 7 straight years from 97-04. I was/am all in on the rebuild, but if it's going to mean we miss the playoffs for 5+ years, I'm going to call it a failure. We are trending in the right direction, though. We are in a part of the rebuild where making the playoffs has to become an expectation next season. We have a pretty deep farm system--hopefully we can add some more quality pieces to it this year--but we aren't going to build this team entirely through the draft and simply wait for the kids to mature. We signed Panarin. We traded for and signed Trouba. There are going to be other moves to improve the team and get us where we want to go. Given our cap situation, that probably means trades more than free agent signings. Either way, it's time to start putting the pieces together. We've collected a bunch of quality assets, now we have to use those assets to shape the team into a contender.

Reactions: jas

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
This is from the vetted Bruins poster, he seems to be hinting this is what Boston is offering for Palmieri

Take that for what you will

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
yes I believe it has been reported that the Avs were interested in Kreider at the draft until they realized Newhook was gonna be there at 16. I doubt their feelings changed since then.

I believe it was Buch not Kreider.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
You people are losing your minds and all the Rangers have done today is announce their lineup for the game tonight. Good lord. Why is everyone freaking out about the rebuild being over?

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
This is from the vetted Bruins poster, he seems to be hinting this is what Boston is offering for Palmieri

Take that for what you will

I *highly* doubt a legit source would post a trade offer on Twitter. If this person is vetted, this calls into question the reliability of the vetting process.

Reactions: Thirty One

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
"If there was a way to keep them AND get a player of Newhook's caliber,"

You didn't say that?

I didn't say we were gonna trade for one.

I think it's its still an objective for us to try to acquire one of the best 6-7 forwards in this draft. I would place them on par with a Newhook-caliber prospect.

I'm sure everyone here would love another 2 top 6 forwards, it's just not realistic.

No, it IS realistic. I don't know why you keep insisting it's not.

We have the assets and the opportunity to make it happen.

Maybe a straight trade for Newhook isn't realistic... but there are players out there, draftable players, if nothing else, that we need to be aggressive in chasing. It's very realistic, but it just probably requires finding ways to liquidate either a player like Kreider, or players like Buch and Skjei, etc.

You're not gonna have a top 6 of all 23 year olds, it's just no happening. You're trying to construct a team under these perfect scenarios, that's not the real world.

Yeah, you keep saying that, but there's no reason that it's not feasible if you are willing to trade from a surplus of something you have to obtain it. But it might mean losing something you'd otherwise want to keep.... like Kreider.

How many years do you want to suck in hopes of landing the first or second pick. They got lucky last year, you think it's gonna happen again?

You don't need the first or second pick to get a top-line or top-6 caliber forward. But a top 10 pick is extremely helpful to that end.

And I'd say, at least one more year (this one). After that, it's all systems go, I'd say.

And the Bruins have one Stanley cup since 1972 and that was 9 years ago and one of their best players was drafted 25th.

The Bruins have been to 3 Cup Finals though. They have had decade-long staying power and with a couple breaks they could have more than 1 Cup.

But yeah, the Bruins have taken some later-in-the-first draft luck. We can go for luck... or, we can sacrifice a little more of the "now," and end up with a higher draft pick where not so much luck is needed.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I *highly* doubt a legit source would post a trade offer on Twitter. If this person is vetted, this calls into question the reliability of the vetting process.
Again, I really don't think we need you to be the source police for our board lol

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
You people are losing your minds and all the Rangers have done today is announce their lineup for the game tonight. Good lord. Why is everyone freaking out about the rebuild being over?
Boston trading away their 1st indicates to some that they are out of the running for Kreider, and that it screwed leverage for us elsewhere.

However, it is common knowledge the Rangers prefer a high prospect rather than a pick as the headliner. Boston can still obtain Kreider. Also, there are more teams than just Colorado asking about Kreider.

Reactions: mschmidt64

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
Boston trading away their 1st indicates to some that they are out of the running for Kreider, and that it screwed leverage for us elsewhere.

However, it is common knowledge the Rangers prefer a high prospect rather than a pick as the headliner. Boston can still obtain Kreider. Also, there are more teams than just Colorado asking about Kreider.

If there's no first rounder involved then the prospect needs to Be Studnicka and I doubt Boston does that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese