Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXIII: 33rd thread twds the line of dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
So one more top 10 pick and they're ready to go?

I would feel excellent about the long term health of their forward pool if they managed to get one of Lafrieniere, Byfield, Raymond, Holtz, Stutzle, or Rossi in this draft. To a lesser extent, Lundell, who I see more as a Stepan-caliber center (though not style, just in terms of overall quality). And obviously some of those names are way more unlikely than others.

I would identify and build around Kakko/Kravtsov/Chytil/rookie/Panarin/Zibanejad as my long term top-6, with the understanding also that Panarin and Zibanejad are going to age-out at some point while Kakko and company are still able to compete for championships, therefore, obviously I'm still long-term hunting for another player or two for my top-6, but if I have to ride on pairings of, say, Kakko-Chytil on a top line and Kravtsov-rookie on a second line, I feel confident that that's the core of two lines that can carry the team to the Finals when those players are 27 years old-ish.

Kreider just doesn't fit in this time-line for me as a top-liner at $7m. I don't think he's capable of being a line-driver like Kakko projects to be. I am expecting Kravtsov and Chytil to develop into at least Kreider-equivalents, I'm hoping a good bit more than him actually (say, 60-70 point players instead of 45-55 point players).

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Now is a good time to warn everyone that I will be working the next two days and my replies will not be as prompt.

I have not determined what I am having for lunch. But I will attempt to smuggle some wine into the Javits Center.

NY Toy Fair?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Look, let's be really damn blunt here.

The Rangers made it clear that they are not into this thing to tank for years and pick top 5 a bunch to build this team.
When they got the #2 and when they went out and got Panarin and Trouba, it's clear they're gearing up to compete sooner rather than later.

People may not agree, people may think it's dumb, but the Rangers aren't going to futz around trying to manufacture more top 5 picks and then after a few years try to build a competitive roster. They're building that roster now and they want to be competing for the cup soon.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Look, let's be really damn blunt here.

The Rangers made it clear that they are not into this thing to tank for years and pick top 5 a bunch to build this team.
When they got the #2 and when they went out and got Panarin and Trouba, it's clear they're gearing up to compete sooner rather than later.

People may not agree, people may think it's dumb, but the Rangers aren't going to futz around trying to manufacture more top 5 picks and then after a few years try to build a competitive roster. They're building that roster now and they want to be competing for the cup soon.

I don't think anyone is advocating they go tank for years and years still, though.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I don't think anyone is advocating they go tank for years and years still, though.

I believe you (or someone?) said they wanted a powerhouse team built on multiple top draft picks

You don't get that without drafting top 5 several times, maybe even top 3, maybe even top 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->