Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXIII: 33rd thread twds the line of dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDonagh

Slow it down 30GHz
Mar 8, 2009
Players like Newhook are not available in any variation of a deal.
yes I believe it has been reported that the Avs were interested in Kreider at the draft until they realized Newhook was gonna be there at 16. I doubt their feelings changed since then.

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I never once said there aren’t deficiencies. Basically, I’ve said for months now, the biggest need is a legitimate 1LD. But, I think that’s more likely coming in a trade than from another 1st round pick. I saw d it at the time , but the truth is, signing changed the timeline. I expect this team to make the playoffs next year/. And, that could mean some of the prospects people have fallen in love could be moved. The clock already started.

You're a liar!

You said multiple times how this team is perfect and should be challenging for a Cup in a few weeks.

Don't you dare deny it!

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Now is a good time to warn everyone that I will be working the next two days and my replies will not be as prompt.

I have not determined what I am having for lunch. But I will attempt to smuggle some wine into the Javits Center.

You just gave away your location...get ready for visitors

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
But we need to remember, we are trading Kreider, not McDavid. We aren't trading Kreider because of the potential return. We would be trading Kreider because they couldn't come to terms on a contract and we have no choice.

We can want Newhook, Kaut, whoever in exchange for him, but the reality is if the team has determined he will be traded you have to take the best offer you can get and if the best deal we can get is the 1st + 2nd + Kamanev + Ranta, that is what we will take. Sure, you could say hold out for more. But then you risk Sakic picking up his ball and going home and taking a significantly worse return, similar to what Garth Snow did with Vanek back in 2014. He overplayed his hand, turned down a 1st + for Vanek and ended up having to settle for a 2nd + Collberg. Or, like Sather was rumored to have done with Talbot.

Am I suggesting that Gorton should take any deal that comes his way? Of course not. But if it is 1:30 pm Monday and we are down to 2-3 serious suitors, all it takes is for one to drop out for JG to lose all his leverage. I'd love to see a mammoth haul for Kreider. But this is McDonagh & Sergachev all over again. Expecting a piece(s) that are realistically never going to be on the table. It is a surefire way to set yourself up for disappointment. Most of the deals that are being proposed here for Kreider, if the roles were reversed we would be laughing our asses off at the asking price.

I understand and agree. My point was more in line with the amount of question marks around Jost and Kamanev. If its a matter of potential with those two then I'd be curious to know what Boston could offer because they have better prospect depth at C. Come Monday, I think Boston is where he'll end up.
Going to be interesting for sure especially if Gorton adds Georgiev or another forward along with Kreider.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Assuming we re-sign Kreider, and with Zibenjad and Panarin, I think it's becoming clear that our initial window here is in the next 4 seasons.
All depends on how your view of a window is. This team IS NOT contending for the Cup next year. They are scrapping it out and fighting for that 8th spot. Does that mean that they are within their window?

True Cup contention will more than likely not happen until 3 years from now. And yes, within that timeframe, ZBad will need a new contract.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Now is a good time to warn everyone that I will be working the next two days and my replies will not be as prompt.

I have not determined what I am having for lunch. But I will attempt to smuggle some wine into the Javits Center.
okay, whats your cell#

Reactions: Fireonk

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ

tenor.gif

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
You're not getting a player of Newhook's caliber in a trade this year.

I didn't say we were.

Kakko isn't high end enough? Panarin? Chytil? Those guys along with Kreider and Zibanejad aren't a good enough top 6 for the next five years?

Kreider probably doesn't retain his level of play for 5 years. Panarin and Zbad, I'd hope they are, but I'm not sure. I am aiming for a group of forwards to build around with Kakko, Kravtsov and Chytil, so as to also insulate that WHEN Panarin and Zbad drop off, we have plug-ins ready to go.

Hence why I've said I think we need 1-2 more top-6 types. And that I'm willing to wait one more year to begin our playoff runs. 3 years is not some long stretch.... its very comparable to what Chicago, LA, Pittsburgh, and the Bruins all did. That's what I want to model after.

And in case you forgot, the Rangers found an impact player in the 20s a few seasons ago while the guy they drafted at 7 is currently playing in Sweden.

And an excellent job they did at doing so. Let's get another pick in that range for this year then so we can take another shot at that kind of player.

I bet you were one of the people livid they beat Pittsburgh to end the season last year.

Livid? No. But odds are odds. We have better odds the lower we get, that's just reality.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I am not sure why them making the playoffs is such a great sign of success, ~half the league makes them.

If their goal is just going back to the anything can happen thing, and if/when it does not, they are back to the retooling thing, I'm going to feel as if I've seen similar approaches in the past. Rangers are going to be the Rangers I guess.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
yes I believe it has been reported that the Avs were interested in Kreider at the draft until they realized Newhook was gonna be there at 16. I doubt their feelings changed since then.
That's the part that makes me scratch my head. While the Avs may well want Kreider (what contending team would not?), they decided that they wanted Newhook more. So to see his name be included as trade targets is simply sticking your head in the sand and denying reality.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.

I still have nightmares about that place - did a gig for IBM in the early aughts. I'm generally pro-union, but those guys in the lighting union made me want to kill everyone and then myself. They take 8 hours to do a job that literally should take no more than 30 minutes and then get paid overtime because the job has to be completed that day.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I think all Rangers trades take place on Monday. Gorton likes to control the flow of information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad