Speculation: Roster Building Thread XLVIII: Draft day is a comin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The Rangers should use a few forwards to help rebuild their defense. Nash, Brassard, Kreider. See what those (3) guys can return as far as defensemen and other pieces.

Rebuild the forward depth through prospects (Jensen, Buch, Hrivik) and Free Agency for the depth guys. Chimera. Helm. McGinn. Nash. Stalberg. Fill out hald of the bottom-6 with those guys.

See if there are teams out there willing to 'dump' players along with a good piece. Like Chicago with Bickell.

Trade Staal
im probably wrong here, but it almost looks like youre saying trade Nash Brassard and Kreider to rebuild the defense, and then replace them with Jensen, Buchnevich, and Hrivik.

i mean...those guys arent going to even come close to the same level of production we got here.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
im probably wrong here, but it almost looks like youre saying trade Nash Brassard and Kreider to rebuild the defense, and then replace them with Jensen, Buchnevich, and Hrivik.

i mean...those guys arent going to even come close to the same level of production we got here.

All 3 combined may equal Brassards productions.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Hate to break it to everyone, but Jensen isn't going to be all that next year. I think he can be a serviceable 4th liner, but that's about it.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
the problem when paying from a position of strength (perceived or otherwise) to fix a position of weakness is that, if the weakness is so great that it requires many pieces from the position of strength...your position of strength now becomes a position of weakness.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

No, I'm just saying they should rebuild their depth via other sources at forward. Defense is a larger hole to fill.

Moore, Glass, Stalberg, Lindberg (assuming he is out until X-Mas), E Staal. Replace those guys with young guys/UFA

They will need to find some other forwards, I agree. But I think finding depth forwards is easier than finding solid top-4 guys who help carry the transition.

For example:
Nash @ $3.4m for Vatanen + ANA 2nd '16

Brassard for Barrie

Staal for Nichuskin + DAL 2nd '17

Klein for Bickell + TT

Use the forwards to target the defensemen you want. Use the defensemen to bring in young blood at forward.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
In full agreement about sathers role on the team. Is there a link that shows he was still the top gun in the organization? I am just curious

Trxjw probably has an spreadsheet full of links vindicating Gorton of all responsibility

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
No, I'm just saying they should rebuild their depth via other sources at forward. Defense is a larger hole to fill.

Moore, Glass, Stalberg, Lindberg (assuming he is out until X-Mas), E Staal. Replace those guys with young guys/UFA

They will need to find some other forwards, I agree. But I think finding depth forwards is easier than finding solid top-4 guys who help carry the transition.

For example:
Nash @ $3.4m for Vatanen + ANA 2nd '16

Brassard for Barrie

Staal for Nichuskin + DAL 2nd '17

Klein for Bickell + TT

Use the forwards to target the defensemen you want. Use the defensemen to bring in young blood at forward.

but youre not replacing depth forwards..youre talking about arguably an entire top line.

Nash, Brassard and Kreider are all top line players for the Rangers. Even if they dont always play on the top line.

you dont just replace guys like that overnight.

this is why i want to just start over...youre already a team heading in the wrong direction AND we have nothign in the farm.

start over. rebuild, and try to have strength all over the ice. this can be done in 2-3 years with smart GMing.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Well, for one of the following reasons:

1. SoS terrfies me.
2. Because my defense of Gorton was all BS and you're totally right now.
3. I have a job and don't have enough time to respond right now.

Here's a hint: It stars with 'I' and ends with 'have a job and don't have enough time to respond right now.'

Lol. Ok. Get back to work.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
the problem when paying from a position of strength (perceived or otherwise) to fix a position of weakness is that, if the weakness is so great that it requires many pieces from the position of strength...your position of strength now becomes a position of weakness.

WHat is easier to find, a tweener 2nd/3rd line forward or a top-4 defenseman? I would argue that finding a Helm, McGinn or like forward is easier than finding a Klein who can play top-4 or Yandle.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
but youre not replacing depth forwards..youre talking about arguably an entire top line.

Nash, Brassard and Kreider are all top line players for the Rangers. Even if they dont always play on the top line.

you dont just replace guys like that overnight.

this is why i want to just start over...youre already a team heading in the wrong direction AND we have nothign in the farm.

start over. rebuild, and try to have strength all over the ice. this can be done in 2-3 years with smart GMing.

With what I recommended:

Kreider-Stepan-Miller
TT-Hayes-MZA
Nichuskin-Helm-Buch
Jensen/Hrivik-Nash-Chimera
Jensen/Hrivik

McDonagh-Barrie
Skjei-Vatanen
______-McIlrath
Girardi

All they need is a bottom-pairing LD. Will they struggle for a year? Most likely. But they will be much further ahead having a defensive core including McDonagh, Vatanen, Barrie, Skjei, McIlrath and a young forward core of Stepan, Kreider, Miller, Hayes, Nichuskin, Buch, TT.

Maybe instead of trading Staal for Nichuskin you look at a Staal for Brodin deal.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Well, for one of the following reasons:

1. SoS terrfies me.
2. Because my defense of Gorton was all BS and you're totally right now.
3. I have a job and don't have enough time to respond right now.

Here's a hint: It stars with 'I' and ends with 'have a job and don't have enough time to respond right now.'

If you ever figure out a way to get paid to browse HF all day, let me know :P

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
If you ever figure out a way to get paid to browse HF all day, let me know :P

Well... if you get in early and bust your butt to get everything done by 11:30ish... the afternoons can be spent doing whatever. :laugh:

Lately it seems that no matter how hard I work it just keeps piling on. At least it means job security for me.

On a different note this could either be the most exciting off-season in a long time for us or the most disappointing off-season in a long time.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Was going to come in and ask why we're trading Klein, who has shown he's capable of playing top minutes next to McDonagh and on a sweetheart contract for that play.

Then I remembered that 95% of HFNYR believes we shouldn't even attempt to be competitive next year and it all makes sense now.

Carry on.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

That's why the idea is to increase the total number of quality assets. Trading one good forward for 2 good prospects won't make us instantly better. It will make us worse, in fact, but in the future we will be better for it if we make the right deals.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

well that's ok, if you trade forwards to fix up the defense and then the forwards are bad you can just trade some defense to fix up the forwards

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
My point is, the fact that it remained to be that AV would continue to play them so much was because management didn't want to step in .

That reeks of sather. I'm sorry, I find it hard to believe that a newly appointed GM wants to just sit back on the team we had last year

Oh give me a break. It's not the GM's decision how to use his players, that's why they hire a coach. That's AV's responsibility. Obviously AV gained the trust of Sather AND Gorton with his previous success.

Take the tin foil hat off. It's quite simple. AV made the SCF and ECF in his first two seasons here = management trusting him = AV getting the benefit of the doubt.

Do you expect Sather/Gorton to demand AV use his players a certain way? That's not how GM-Coach dynamics work.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Why are we concerned about replacing Klein? Really hope that no one expects to contend next year. In a hypothetical scenario where Klein is the main piece we send in a trade for Teuvo Teravainen, people are worried about replacing Klein?

He seems to be one of the more no-brainer departures this summer. I sure as **** wouldn't just give him away, but if someone offers us a high 2nd you do that 10/10 times.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

So we're stuck with Girardi this season because we'll want to use that $5.5m to make it easier to get to the cap threshold. Then when LV doesn't pick him, obviously, we'll have to deal with him anyway - thus, making the Rangers significantly worse this season for holding on to him in the first place.

Great.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
So we're stuck with Girardi this season because we'll want to use that $5.5m to make it easier to get to the cap threshold. Then when LV doesn't pick him, obviously, we'll have to deal with him anyway - thus, making the Rangers significantly worse this season for holding on to him in the first place.

Great.

Didn't they dump the cap threshold idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad