Speculation: Roster Building Thread XLVIII: Draft day is a comin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
that is 1000% how I see it...this is not a fire sale. they are not going to blow up the team and most of them will be back.

they know that changes need to be made and they are smartly listening to offers on just about everyone to weigh the options...but no one should be expecting us to trade away 6-8 roster players for draft picks and prospects

I see it as the Rangers moving several key players. You can't reconstruct the team and not move significant players.
I see 3-5 players getting moved.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Fogarty Nieves? These guys aren't making the team... Hrivik is the most likely to make the team.. And you know we'll have 3-4 reclamation projects.. In the spirit of Ryan Malone Jarrett stoll.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I see it as the Rangers moving several key players. You can't reconstruct the team and not move significant players.
I see 3-5 players getting moved.

not disagreeing with you...but i'll believe it when i see it. i'm pessimistic but i think we will see most of the team back with the company line being 'they were hurt last year and are healthy after a long summer' with a few changes to 'go for it' than a complete overhaul.

not what i want, but what i'm expecting

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Bickell and TT for Klein adds a top four dman and frees up 2.444M. They have about 8M total with everyone off the books. Panarin's bonus is 2.575. The relief from trading for Klein would leave them with ~7.85M and only Shaw and Rasmussen to re-sign, plus room for call ups.

They have 4.4 million in space right now. I'm not sure where you got the 2.444 million in freed up space with a Klein for Bickell/Tuevo trade, but according to Capfriendly, the cap hit change would only be 1.994 million.

That would bring them up to 6.4 million in space. If you add in Panarin's bonus of 2.575 million, that leaves them 4.9 million in space to re-sign Shaw and fill out the rest of their lineup.

Just don't see how it would work but maybe I'm doing something wrong. I don't think they should bring Shaw back, and if they choose to move him, then Klein for that package works fine. Trade Shaw for picks/younger prospects.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Fogarty Nieves? These guys aren't making the team... Hrivik is the most likely to make the team.. And you know we'll have 3-4 reclamation projects.. In the spirit of Ryan Malone Jarrett stoll.

I think Fogerty could very well make this team out of camp.

With Moore gone and Lindberg hurt, the door is wide open for him to win the 4C job out of camp.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
not disagreeing with you...but i'll believe it when i see it. i'm pessimistic but i think we will see most of the team back with the company line being 'they were hurt last year and are healthy after a long summer' with a few changes to 'go for it' than a complete overhaul.

not what i want, but what i'm expecting

Sure, but I don't think Gorton can play that hand anymore. That's a Sather move imo. Others mentioned that the Talbot trades and the Hagel in moves both had Sather approval. ..

Gorton getting E.Staal was a tip of the hat to the old guard.
He has to make some substantial change to this team. He has to make his mark now.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
We lost to the probable cup winners that means we're lots better than we thought. Trade picks and prospects for Marleau and Cullen!

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I think Fogerty could very well make this team out of camp.

With Moore gone and Lindberg hurt, the door is wide open for him to win the 4C job out of camp.

Wouldn't necessarily be mad if Fogarty came into camp and proved he could step in and contribute right away (obviously, that'd be amazing).

I believe Hrivik played a bit of center in Hartford. Going into camp, it should be "Hrivik's to lose" with a few vets fighting for it sprinkled in as well to add some competition.

Last edited:

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Sure, but I don't think Gorton can play that hand anymore. That's a Sather move imo. Others mentioned that the Talbot trades and the Hagel in moves both had Sather approval. ..

Gorton getting E.Staal was a tip of the hat to the old guard.
He has to make some substantial change to this team. He has to make his mark now.

agreed that this is what SHOULD happen

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Wouldn't necessarily be mad if Fogarty came into camp and proved he could step in and contribute right away.

I believe Hrivik played a bit of center in Hartford. Going into camp, it should be "Hrivik's to lose" with a few vets fighting for it sprinkled in as well to add some competition.

I think he did as well, but I don't think it should be anyones job to lose. Should be a total open comp.

Thats why I'm interested in Riley Nash. He's a valuable bottom 6 guy. He can play C. He can play W. If Fogerty wins the job, he plays C and Nash is on W. If Hrivik wins it, Nash can play C and Hriv's W.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
They have 4.4 million in space right now. I'm not sure where you got the 2.444 million in freed up space with a Klein for Bickell/Tuevo trade, but according to Capfriendly, the cap hit change would only be 1.994 million.

That would bring them up to 6.4 million in space. If you add in Panarin's bonus of 2.575 million, that leaves them 4.9 million in space to re-sign Shaw and fill out the rest of their lineup.

Just don't see how it would work but maybe I'm doing something wrong. I don't think they should bring Shaw back, and if they choose to move him, then Klein for that package works fine. Trade Shaw for picks/younger prospects.

I'm pretty sure those numbers are all wrong.

Bickell has a 4M cap hit. TT has a 1.344M cap hit. 5.344M.

Klein has a 2.9M cap hit. The difference is 2.444; that much is simple math and can't really be disputed.

Also, with Shaw's old deal off the books, as well as Fleischmann, Ladd, Weise, Rozsival, Ehrhoff all coming off, there is no way they only have ~4M right now. The numbers you're using are not accurate.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA

Klein has a 2.9M cap hit. The difference is 2.444; that much is simple math and can't really be disputed.

Also, with Shaw's old deal off the books, as well as Fleischmann, Ladd, Weise, Rozsival, Ehrhoff all coming off, there is no way they only have ~4M right now. The numbers you're using are not accurate.

Capfriendly usually isn't wrong but either way it doesn't matter haha. I think Klein is more valuable to the Rangers than any trade value that he'd bring back

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Capfriendly usually isn't wrong but either way it doesn't matter haha. I think Klein is more valuable to the Rangers than any trade value that he'd bring back

Aside from some stand out games.... you really think Klein I'd that important to this team?

He gets injured quite a bit... at the worst times... he's played badly in the playoffs. ..

I like Klein in the 3rd pairing, but would not bat an eye at him leaving. ...

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Where are you getting 1.344 for TT?

His AAV is $1,460,833, which includes his performance bonuses, which he may or may not earn. So his actual cap hit will most likely be less than that.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/teuvo-teravainen1
http://www.generalfanager.com/players/538

His actual cap hit last year was $894,167 :

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/blackhawks/cap_tracker

If his cap hit is similar this year, then they really aren't saving any money because TT has to be replaced, and his replacement will cost a similar amount.

So really the only savings is Bickell for Klein, which is a savings of 1.1 mil.

Klein for Bickell and TT gives them 6 forwards, 7 dmen and 2 goalies. If the cap goes up to 72.8 mil, they will have roughly 7.8 mil in cap space to sign Panarin and 6 other forwards. Less actually since they need to leave space for call ups.

That isn't enough. Panarin and Shaw will take up most of that by themselves.

If we traded them McIlrath instead, that would give them another 2 mil probably, depending on how much McI gets, though I don't see them giving us TT for McI.

We could retain 50% on Klein. Klein at 1.45 mil would work for Chicago, I think. Maybe we can squeeze Pokka out of them too.

Last edited:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Is he that important to the Rangers in 2018-19? That's the question we need to ask, not how important he is right now. Klein has a limited shelf life and we are very unlikely to be serious contenders while he is still at his peak. We should sell him while his value is high.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
The Glen Sather era ended when the Rangers lost to Pittsburgh. The Jeff Gorton era begins this month.

something that most people (including myself) didn't realize. Sather was the old man, making the old mans team that we saw this past year. That's why Girardi got so many minutes, why Staal was trusted when he shouldn't have been, and why management never interfered with AV.

I think all of that changes this year. This is Gorton's team now

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
something that most people (including myself) didn't realize. Sather was the old man, making the old mans team that we saw this past year. That's why Girardi got so many minutes, why Staal was trusted when he shouldn't have been, and why management never interfered with AV.

I think all of that changes this year. This is Gorton's team now

If this is true, prove it. Gorton needs to prove he has a different philosophy to Sather.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
If this is true, prove it. Gorton needs to prove he has a different philosophy to Sather.

Well, for the first time in awhile, we're hearing that Dolan is the one asking for a organization-wide youth infusion. Gorton's the head of that, and Sather seems to be less and less involved in day to day operations.

I'm not saying I'm right, but you look at last years team, there's no way you can say "Gorton" put it together--his resume is 10 times better than that crap we saw this past year. Instead, what we saw was Gorton sliding a few puzzle pieces into Sather's jigsaw puzzle to see if it could catch lightning in a bottle. This is on top of the fact that AV got just as much power, if not more, than the year prior, which again, seemed to be Sather's MO of letting AV has his share of player management. Those "one last kick at the can" statements seem to confirm that Sather was the guy behind the mask pushing to see if his core pieces (Girardi and Staal particularly) could make something with this team.

It couldn't. We all knew it wouldn't.

BBKers could probably be more specific/accurate with this

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Aside from some stand out games.... you really think Klein I'd that important to this team?

He gets injured quite a bit... at the worst times... he's played badly in the playoffs. ..

I like Klein in the 3rd pairing, but would not bat an eye at him leaving. ...

Is he that important to the Rangers in 2018-19? That's the question we need to ask, not how important he is right now. Klein has a limited shelf life and we are very unlikely to be serious contenders while he is still at his peak. We should sell him while his value is high.

At this point, he's the teams only competent RHD. Girardi will continue to regress, and McIlrath, while I have high hopes for, is a total unknown still. I'm not against moving Klein by any mean, if the right deal comes along, I'd totally move him. But I wouldn't be comfortable moving him unless someone who is equally as good or better replacing him.

If the team were to sign Demers, I'd be fine with moving Klein for the good pieces he's bring back. If you move Klein and have no plan to replace him with a better player, you're left with Girardi, McIlrath and whatever schlub they choose to replace Klein, the defense would be even worse than least year. So it depends on the situation.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
At this point, he's the teams only competent RHD. Girardi will continue to regress, and McIlrath, while I have high hopes for, is a total unknown still. I'm not against moving Klein by any mean, if the right deal comes along, I'd totally move him. But I wouldn't be comfortable moving him unless someone who is equally as good or better replacing him.

If the team were to sign Demers, I'd be fine with moving Klein for the good pieces he's bring back. If you move Klein and have no plan to replace him with a better player, you're left with Girardi, McIlrath and whatever schlub they choose to replace Klein, the defense would be even worse than least year. So it depends on the situation.

We can trade one of our forwards for a top 4 RHD. It's not like Klein is the only one on the market.

He's a sell high candidate who's not going to get any better, with 2 years left on his deal, and will be 32 this year. If you get a 2nd rounder for him, or have the ability to toss him into a package to get another potential high end roster player, you do it.

At this point, a guy like Vatanen can do what Klein does, but he's 5 years younger

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

In order to replace Klein with someone better, that someone almost certainly must cost more, and we really can't afford to be adding salary.

The better alternative is to replace Klein with someone who is much younger, costs less, and who isn't better yet, but will be in a couple years. If we could trade Klein for someone like Honka, would you do it?

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
In order to replace Klein with someone better, that someone almost certainly must cost more, and we really can't afford to be adding salary.

The better alternative is to replace Klein with someone who is much younger, costs less, and who isn't better yet, but will be in a couple years. If we could trade Klein for someone like Honka, would you do it?

I'd drive Klein to Dallas myself if the Stars agreed to a Klein for Honka trade haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad