NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
How much will the following UFA's make and for how many years:

Darren Helm
Jason Chimera
Victor Stalberg
Michael Grabner

I think the Rangers should add (2) of these guys for their bottom-6 for puck retrieval and to add some speed.

Also, any word on if Carl Klingberg would come back across the pond?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
How much will the following UFA's make and for how many years:

Darren Helm
Jason Chimera
Victor Stalberg
Michael Grabner

I think the Rangers should add (2) of these guys for their bottom-6 for puck retrieval and to add some speed.

Also, any word on if Carl Klingberg would come back across the pond?

Helm is only 29, but he's coming off a 4 year deal that paid him an average of 2.125 mil per year. He made 2.5 in actual salary each of the last 2 years. He probably won't get much more than that, but I'm not keen on giving him more than 2 years.

Chimera is coming off a 2 year, 2 mil per year deal, but he's 37. I'm sure he'll take a short term deal and probably won't cost too much, but was his production more a product of his team? Will he produce anywhere near .5 points per game as a Ranger?

With Stalberg, we know what we are getting. I'd be fine bringing him back as long as it isn't for more than 2 years. I think he would sign a 2 year deal, but if there's some team out there willing to give him more money/term, let him go.

Grabner is only 28, but is coming off his worst year statistically. Can we expect a rebound? He's coming off a deal that paid him 15 mil over 5 years. Given his performance last year, it's likely that we could sign him short term for less than that, as the demand probably won't be that high.

Ultimately, I'm fine with any of them as long as it isn't for more than 2 years.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Helm is only 29, but he's coming off a 4 year deal that paid him an average of 2.125 mil per year. He made 2.5 in actual salary each of the last 2 years. He probably won't get much more than that, but I'm not keen on giving him more than 2 years.

Chimera is coming off a 2 year, 2 mil per year deal, but he's 37. I'm sure he'll take a short term deal and probably won't cost too much, but was his production more a product of his team? Will he produce anywhere near .5 points per game as a Ranger?

With Stalberg, we know what we are getting. I'd be fine bringing him back as long as it isn't for more than 2 years. I think he would sign a 2 year deal, but if there's some team out there willing to give him more money/term, let him go.

Grabner is only 28, but is coming off his worst year statistically. Can we expect a rebound? He's coming off a deal that paid him 15 mil over 5 years. Given his performance last year, it's likely that we could sign him short term for less than that, as the demand probably won't be that high.

Ultimately, I'm fine with any of them as long as it isn't for more than 2 years.

Here is what I was thinking:

Sign:
Helm - 3 years @ 2.75 million/season
Chimera - 2 years @ 2 million/season
Grabner - 2 years @ 900k/season

Chimera and Grabner on the 4th line wings. Trade away Glass (save $1.4 on the cap). Don't resign Moore (save $1.5 on the cap). Those (2) guys average pay for Chimera and Grabner.

I don't think Chimera sniffs 40 points again but if he could come in and provide speed, size and say, 12-15 goals, that's a solid depth signing. Good PKer.

I also think Grabner could come in and put up 10-12 goals and really help with the team speed and PK.

Need to find a center to play in between.

Play Helm on the 3rd line with Hayes. Speedy, good PKer, tenacious on the forecheck. Fills a similar role to Hagelin.

Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 3m3 minutes ago
Helene St. James Retweeted Dave Zarvan
Wings are trying to re-sign Helm. But as I wrote, he knows he'll be coveted free agent because of his speed.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
More on Helm

Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 1m1 minute ago
Helene St. James Retweeted Matthew Ross
Helm played a good deal as top 6 & both special teams last couple seasons - Datsyuk likes him on his wing.

Datsyuk and he had very good chemistry because Helm helped retrieve pucks. Similar role to Hagelin.

Stalberg was very good at that on the 4th line this season for the Rangers. He just didn't have much to pass to

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
helm would be a nice add and we need guys like that...but we are several moves away from having the cap space available for that luxury

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
More on Helm

Datsyuk and he had very good chemistry because Helm helped retrieve pucks. Similar role to Hagelin.

Stalberg was very good at that on the 4th line this season for the Rangers. He just didn't have much to pass to

Glass has been an issue since he arrived here - I don`t understand what AV see in him to be honest. :shakehead

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
https://www.sny.tv/rangers/news/the...2595352?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Friedman seems to think that there are teams out there that an interest in Nash.

He also says the Rangers aren't actively trying to trade anyone, but are letting the offers come to them.

I imagine they're actively working on Nash, and even then, they may only actively be trying to get an offer only and then deciding from there.

Intriguing

that is 1000% how I see it...this is not a fire sale. they are not going to blow up the team and most of them will be back.

they know that changes need to be made and they are smartly listening to offers on just about everyone to weigh the options...but no one should be expecting us to trade away 6-8 roster players for draft picks and prospects

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Someone posted it on the main board, but I like the Teravainen/Bickell for Klein deal. Teravainen could open up the ability to trade a center. Adds speed to the lineup, but more importantly, skill at high speed.

Rangers could put Bickell in the minors for a year, or they could buy him out. $1M this year, $1.5M next year on the books.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Someone posted it on the main board, but I like the Teravainen/Bickell for Klein deal. Teravainen could open up the ability to trade a center. Adds speed to the lineup, but more importantly, skill at high speed.

Rangers could put Bickell in the minors for a year, or they could buy him out. $1M this year, $1.5M next year on the books.

It's the type of move this organization should be looking for. Add a highly skilled young player to take on a cap dump in a season where they are going to have problems contending. It's the classic, one step back for 3 steps forward.

The Rangers would never do that

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I'd be ok with a move like that. Maximize the return on Klein's value while it's still high.

Expansion meeting starting now. I'd love to be a fly on the wall for this one.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Klein should be moved regardless. The guy has 2 years left on a sweetheart deal for a top-4 RD and he is on the wrong side of 30. He won't be around when this team competes truly again.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
If 900k per is all it takes for Grabner I'd snatch him in a hurry.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I can definitely see Fogarty making the team out of the camp.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
If Chicago's goal is to save cap space to re-sign Shaw and make way for Panarin's bonus, why would they want to take Klein on? They're only saving a little over under two million...

They could probably get a forward hungry team to bite like Carolina for just straight picks and get the amount of space they're looking for.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
If Chicago's goal is to save cap space to re-sign Shaw and make way for Panarin's bonus, why would they want to take Klein on? They're only saving a little over under two million...

They could probably get a forward hungry team to bite like Carolina for just straight picks and get the amount of space they're looking for.

yeah they are giving up teovo along with bickel to get value back

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas

They are actively looking to improve their blue line and re-sign Shaw. It has been reported by multiple sources. Klein saves them money and solidified their blue line.

The trade was originally my idea; I posted it in the around the NHL thread last night before it made it to the main boards. The article reporting Chicago may use TT to get Bickell moved states they are looking to re-sign Shaw and add a defenseman, possibly Brian Campbell. If they're interested in Campbell, Klein (or Klein at 50%) has to be very attractive to them. Especially since he is RH and can play with Hjalmarsson giving them a knockout top four.

Last edited:

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
yeah they are giving up teovo along with bickel to get value back

Thats what I'm saying. Teuvo fits right into the wheelhouse of a up and comer like Carolina that needs forwards to go with the defensive beast they're building.

Carolina can throw some picks Chicago's way, and has the leverage that they're taking the garbage contract off their hands.

They are actively looking to improve their blue line and re-sign Shaw. It has been reported by multiple sources. Klein saves them money and solidified their blue line.

I was not aware they were trying to improve the defense.

But still if they want to re-sign Shaw, taking Klein on doesn't open up the space needed to do so, also factoring in Panarin's bonus. :dunno:

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Thats what I'm saying. Teuvo fits right into the wheelhouse of a up and comer like Carolina that needs forwards to go with the defensive beast they're building.

Carolina can throw some picks Chicago's way, and has the leverage that they're taking the garbage contract off their hands.

I was not aware they were trying to improve the defense.

But still if they want to re-sign Shaw, taking Klein on doesn't open up the space needed to do so, also factoring in Panarin's bonus. :dunno:

Bickell and TT for Klein adds a top four dman and frees up 2.444M. They have about 9M total with everyone off the books. Panarin's bonus is 2.575. The relief from trading for Klein would leave them with ~8.85M and only Shaw and Rasmussen to re-sign, plus room for call ups.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad