Speculation: Roster Building Thread XLVIII: Draft day is a comin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
How far off are the rangers, in reality. They had a bad season by everyone's standards and they were still the 3rd best team in the east, in my and a lot of peoples opinions. They lost to the SC champs. Played them even until the 2nd or 3rd period of Game 3. What happens if the Rangers tanked into the loser's bracket. They probably lose to the Penguins in 6 or 7 games in the ECF. But just what if the Penguins had some guys injured by that time or the rangers (having won 2 series to get there) had some guys or all they're guys playing better. Let's say somehow they squeaked by the Pens. Does anyone thing they couldnt have played with the Sharks?

The Rangers need to to change the team up, their is no doubt about it. How much so? I bet they've been asking themselves this as they watched the playoffs unfold.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
Thats what everyone here is arguing about. Are we closer to a Cup or much closer to falling into mediocrity for years to come? A lot of mileage are on these guys so change is coming. I believe in Jeff Gorton, he first has to clean up the steaming pile of **** that Sather left behind. My stance is, I'm more worried bout the next 15-20 years of this franchise to be set up for multiple runs at the Stanley Cup and not just be short sighted and think short term of trying to get Hank a cup in the next 3 years. Thats exactly what Sather would have done, Gorton i believe is aiming towards long term thinking here. Say the Rangers wanted to do a pretty big overhaul, theres enough pieces here where it can turn around very, very quickly. Is that the better answer or theres still hope for another 4-5 solid prime years at least from the likes of Brassard,Stepan,Zuc,Kreider,McDonagh etc. Then you also have to factor the cap as plans got ****ed up along the way due to the thinking around 2012-2013, the cap would go up every year at least 4-5 million. So the Rangers like many other teams overestimated that calculation and didn't foresee the collapse of the loonie. Wait till Free Agency, contracts won't be as insane as in years past minus Stamkos. Or if the player is getting max term at 7-8.5 per, it means they are going to a bottom feeder as none of the cup contending teams can afford crazy contracts like that right now, hell maybe about half the league can't. IMO, you'll see a lot of "hockey trades" in the summer as in contract for contract,even swaps,minimal prospects or picks. The worst thing the league did during this last CBA was allowing the Salary Cap be heavily influenced by the Canadian Dollar, the PA was foolish enough to agree to it as well. I bet the PA is kicking themselves in the ass right now considering they have used the 5% escalator every year but one.

EDIT:Forgot to quote NernieBichols

Last edited:

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
The forwards are fine. Get rid of Nash to free up money. The issue is on defense, They need guys who keep the puck out of the zone and make smart reads to quickly transition. Skjei and McIlrath can both do that, as can McDonagh and Yandle. Boyle just sucked all over the place, and we all know about the Toxic Twins.

They don't have the room or the assets for a huge re-tool or rebuild. Get rid of Nash, see what Buchnevich can do and give it another go.

This Henrik window stuff is BS. Fatso took a team to the Cup at what, 40? Another scrub goalie just won the Cup. When it's your time, it's your time. Age means nothing. Keep Henrik but get rid of Nash and find a way to get rid of one of the two turds on defense.

And for the love of God, stop trading away picks. Next year's draft is a good one. Better than this year.

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
So, when do you guys think the Rangers will start making their off-season moves?

We have 3 weeks until 4th of July, which is a few days after free agency opens and the majority of deals will likely be done.

The only thing is that Gorton is supposedly going to be all-in on Vesey come August 15th. So that will be a while from now.

After the World Cup for any Rangers players involved, if any are to be traded, is my guess.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
How far off are the rangers, in reality. They had a bad season by everyone's standards and they were still the 3rd best team in the east, in my and a lot of peoples opinions. They lost to the SC champs. Played them even until the 2nd or 3rd period of Game 3. What happens if the Rangers tanked into the loser's bracket. They probably lose to the Penguins in 6 or 7 games in the ECF. But just what if the Penguins had some guys injured by that time or the rangers (having won 2 series to get there) had some guys or all they're guys playing better. Let's say somehow they squeaked by the Pens. Does anyone thing they couldnt have played with the Sharks?

The Rangers need to to change the team up, their is no doubt about it. How much so? I bet they've been asking themselves this as they watched the playoffs unfold.

It Could be said that the only reason why the Rangers finished So high in the standings was because of their insane start to the season and God like play of Lundqvist until mid November. They weren't a very good team for the rest of the season.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Please take the Corsi conversation to the thread made for it. I know there's not a lot to talk about but I'd rather not scroll through posts and posts of who has the better corsi in the Roster building thread.

Roster building has become the corsi conversation, as much as people still don't want to admit that.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
It Could be said that the only reason why the Rangers finished So high in the standings was because of their insane start to the season and God like play of Lundqvist until mid November. They weren't a very good team for the rest of the season.

Or in my opinion how bad the league was this year. There werent many good teams in the league this year.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I remember being a little kid and the Penguins were horrible. They almost and should have beaten the Islanders during their Cup run. Randy Carlyle. Mike Bullard. Michel Dion. They have won 4 Cups. The Devils came to the area from Colorado. They have won 3 Cups. Rangers have just one. That's a little tough to take. To get that single Cup,so much was invested. Are the Rangers ever winning the Cup again? It's not about being "competitive".

The Rangers never had a major rebuild like the Pens or Devils. The Devils got high picks and it changed the franchise - Muller, Daneyko, Maclean and Shanahan, who got them Stevens. The Pens tanked for Mario in 1984, took Simpson 2nd overall in 1985 because he hated Toronto and wouldn't report, then traded Simpson for Coffey. Jagr was a top-5 pick. Zalapski was too and got them Francis. Four Hall of Famers in their prime, and that's not including the home runs they hit with Recchi and crackhead Stevens.

The Rangers never had that. Sad that the one time they thought they did (1999), it was the worst draft crop in NHL history. They sucked for 7 years and no lottery.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Why wait until after the draft to make trades??
Also please don't ****ing rely on this vesey kid... I don't wanna be the loser of that competition and not have any moves because we thought we had him..
Make moves now get picks this year so we can build quicker

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
The NHL needs to take away the extra point or add a point to a regulation win or something. The "parity" is kind of a glorified word for it since a lot of games go to OT. So thats where the perception of "parity" is. Strictly speaking from a Standings POV. there would be a big difference without them and very noticeable.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
The NHL needs to take away the extra point or add a point to a regulation win or something. The "parity" is kind of a glorified word for it since a lot of games go to OT. So thats where the perception of "parity" is. Strictly speaking from a Standings POV. there would be a big difference without them and very noticeable.

the nhl wants the perception of parity, they don't care if its real or not. if they could come up with a way to inflate point totals to make teams like oilers look like playoff contenders they would do that too

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
Why wait until after the draft to make trades??
Also please don't ****ing rely on this vesey kid... I don't wanna be the loser of that competition and not have any moves because we thought we had him..
Make moves now get picks this year so we can build quicker

Who said we are gonna wait till after the draft? That would be dumb wouldn't it? Agreed on Vesey 100%, can't put all our eggs in one basket there. you go after him no matter what, even if you get Steven Stamkos. Im pretty confident that Gorts will get us some picks. If no deal is there,then no deal is there. We don't wanna make trades for picks just to make them unless its Girardi or Staal lol.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
The Rangers have a real strong core of NHL-proven guys under 26 or 27. But they're leaderless. McDonagh is a quiet, lead-by-example type. Henrik is a goalie and they're different animals. They need a Trottier, Gilmour or Messier or Toews type. Buffalo has that in Eichel -- he will carry that franchise on his back to a title, mark my words.

Shame they don't a first this year. They would have been able to grab one of McLeod, Keller, Jost, Brown or Rubtsov at 20. All have legitimate top-line upside

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Don't let the 101 points fool you. If not for our best ever start as a franchise, we would have missed the playoffs. In the final 61 games, we were 30-24-7. That's a 90 point pace.

We were 7th in scoring at 2.84 goals per game, but we were tied with Buffalo for 15th best goals against at 2.62. 15th might not seem that bad, but compare that number to previous years:

2014-15: 2.28 3rd best
2013-14: 2.32 4th best
2012-13: 2.25 4th best
2011-12: 2.22 3rd best
2010-11: 2.38 5th best
2009-10: 2.61 10th best
2008-09: 2.59 6th best
2007-08: 2.32 4th best
2006-07: 2.57 9th best
2005-06: 2.57 4th best

Our GAA this year was the worst it's been in the last 11 years. Not coincidentally, 2009-10 was the year we missed the playoffs.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
the nhl wants the perception of parity, they don't care if its real or not. if they could come up with a way to inflate point totals to make teams like oilers look like playoff contenders they would do that too

Yeah,so basically, what I said right? Haha lmao, yeah but 100 percent and I love how no one ever rarely brings it up especially guys in the upper echelon of Hocjey Media. The league should have been called out on this. 2 points or nothing or you add an extra point in regulation which I don't like personally but its better then this garbage. Old Playoff format back too please.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
Don't let the 101 points fool you. If not for our best ever start as a franchise, we would have missed the playoffs. In the final 61 games, we were 30-24-7. That's a 90 point pace.

We were 7th in scoring at 2.84 goals per game, but we were tied with Buffalo for 15th best goals against at 2.62. 15th might not seem that bad, but compare that number to previous years:

2014-15: 2.28 3rd best
2013-14: 2.32 4th best
2012-13: 2.25 4th best
2011-12: 2.22 3rd best
2010-11: 2.38 5th best
2009-10: 2.61 10th best
2008-09: 2.59 6th best
2007-08: 2.32 4th best
2006-07: 2.57 9th best
2005-06: 2.57 4th best

Our GAA this year was the worst it's been in the last 11 years. Not coincidentally, 2009-10 was the year we missed the playoffs.

Agreed here and despite many people thinking our offense is just fine. We are more of an opportunistic offense as we rarely dominate zone time and rely on possessing the puck for long stretches. It also very one dimensional which also people seem to forget. We need to get more versatile in that department in a variety of different ways. Having a truly elite offensive minded Dman to lead the way would help by a 1000 miles.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
The Rangers have a real strong core of NHL-proven guys under 26 or 27. But they're leaderless. McDonagh is a quiet, lead-by-example type. Henrik is a goalie and they're different animals. They need a Trottier, Gilmour or Messier or Toews type. Buffalo has that in Eichel -- he will carry that franchise on his back to a title, mark my words.

Shame they don't a first this year. They would have been able to grab one of McLeod, Keller, Jost, Brown or Rubtsov at 20. All have legitimate top-line upside

I think that's a bigger issue that's not really talked about. They didn't have anyone that held their teammates accountable last year given the crap effort that came night in and night out.

I could definitely see them moving Stepan, getting assets and then signing Backes.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
I think that's a bigger issue that's not really talked about. They didn't have anyone that held their teammates accountable last year given the crap effort that came night in and night out.

I could definitely see them moving Stepan, getting assets and then signing Backes.

If they sign Backes, this whole organization is ****ing lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad