Speculation: Roster Building Thread XLVII: June Swoon or a 1st rounder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lundy HOF

May 23, 2016
Agreed. I think he can be a 40-50 point scorer in the NHL. That's worth that contract.

Could be a good player to have with Hayes - someone who can go get the puck from the corners while not being inept with offensive skills. From what I have read though - do you trust him to give a complete effort all the time? We have Kreider for that already.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Kamenev. Big center.

best option apparently
me likey

Or you just put Brodin on the right where he's completely comfortable. Right now, penciling Skjei into the top-4 is a mistake, and Dumba is a bottom-pairing defender with lots of improvement needed before he sees the top-4 on a regular basis. So that means you don't have any established RH defenders capable of playing in the top-4 between McIlrath, Dumba, and Girardi. Not exactly a recipe for positive player development, let alone team success.

While we don't have to completely throw guys to the wolves, we can't afford to coddle them either.

Take the blemishes and the lumps, the kids have real talent, esp as to skating, and should be fine within the season

assuming AV does not intervene every other shift

again, don't not get better young players
get rid of AV

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
seeing how all these incredibly detailed Minny hypos are premised on us getting Stamkos, it may be all a huge waste of time and effort. We arent a lock to be Stamkos' No. 1 (Toronto), and I don't think he is a lock for Gorton. health issues/cost

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Darren Dreger surveyed a lot of NHL GM's, and they see Stamkos as a winger.

I'm not saying I definitely even want Stamkos, but could it work with him as a winger. We'd probably have to retain nothing Nash and just accept that trade as a cap dump, we couldn't re-sign Yandle. One of the other big contracts might have to be moved. Maybe thats Staal, Girardi, Stepan, McD, Brass, Zucc? The first two have NMC's, so they'd have to okay that trade, even if the team was entertaining trading them, and the latter four probably aren't players the team would want to trade. Could we make it work?

I think Stamkos as a winger, replacing Nash's goals wouldn't be a terrible idea, if we are trying to stay competitive, but I'd prefer to rebuild.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
If the Rangers do go after Stamkos I would actually move Stepan rather than Brassard. Brassard is more creative and dynamic, which is what the team needs, but I also think the return for Stepan would be better and if we're going to move either of them, we need an absolutely maximal return coming back. Stepan and Klein is probably a very attractive package to a team that's close to competing right now.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Frans Nielsen and Dan Hamhuis are intriguing names in free agency. If Stepan is moved, Nielsen would be a good replacement.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Frans Nielsen and Dan Hamhuis are intriguing names in free agency. If Stepan is moved, Nielsen would be a good replacement.

Hamhuis is like Mr. Vancouver. He wouldn't waive his NTC to go to a contender at the deadline, so I doubt he's moving his family 3000 miles to play here.

Like others have said, if Stepan is moved, the replacement would hopefully be Stamkos. Unless of course a team like the Wild is willing to really give a package they can't say no to.

I like Nielsen, but I'm interested to see the $ he gets, hes 32. His best years could behind him.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
I don't see any glimmer of hope for this roster, pending a wizardous strike by Gorts, whose stupid face is annoying me since day one and I have no faith in to do so whatsoever.

- as of now we have 15M in cap space.

- Major resigns are: Kreider, J.T. Miller, Stalberg, Hayes , McIlrath, Yandle.

Kreider signs at 3.5-4 M/y
JT signs at 3-3.5 M/y
Staberg at 1.5M/y
Hayes 2M/y
Yandle 6M/y

That's approximitely 16-17M in important signings. As of now we can't afford that. Hayes can be dealt, Yandle can be not resigned.

This meens we most likely will have to see a deal, if Yandle is to be signed.

- G-Money and M.Staal won't get traded.

- Let's assume Stepan, McD are not on the table.

- Glass is immovalble. No GM is that stupid to throw us a bone, we're not Pittsburgh.

Leaves only Klein and Nash or a miracle (i.e. NTC/NMC drops, someone taking on Tanner, dealz). And here is the problem, I think Klein is a key contract on the team. A much needed all-round player. Unfortunately our bad contracts put us in the position to ship him away.

At this point we have only resigned our core group of guys. We still need to fill some roster spots. Specially for that overaged free-agent we'll be after on 1st of July.

A Nash deal with youth and picks coming back could open up the space to sign decent FAs and get a proper team on the ice in October. But again Nash is a vital part of our back-checking, who's gonna fill the void?

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Hamhuis is like Mr. Vancouver. He wouldn't waive his NTC to go to a contender at the deadline, so I doubt he's moving his family 3000 miles to play here.

Like others have said, if Stepan is moved, the replacement would hopefully be Stamkos. Unless of course a team like the Wild is willing to really give a package they can't say no to.

I like Nielsen, but I'm interested to see the $ he gets, hes 32. His best years could behind him.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to move Stepan unless a clear upgrade is replacing him.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
I think I'd deal Brass way before Step. I don't think brass is as capable defensively as Step is: Nor do I think stammer is as capable but again stammers pros far out weigh his cons

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Even if they trade Stepan and Nash, logistically theres no way Stamkos fits on the team money wise.

LOL what?. They have like 16M right now, if u subtract 6.5 from Stepan and say 5 to 6M from Nash in trades that's another 11 to 12M taking us to like 27 or 28M, easily enough for Stamkos and the RFAs. Hell just moving Stepan we can afford Stamkos. It all comes down to do they want to do it and will he sign here

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Obviously it also depends who the Rangers would get back in trades, but IF Stamkos wanted to come here and if the Rangers wanted him, they could move cap to do it.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
LOL what?. They have like 16M right now, if u subtract 6.5 from Stepan and say 5 to 6M from Nash in trades that's another 11 to 12M taking us to like 27 or 28M, easily enough for Stamkos and the RFAs. Hell just moving Stepan we can afford Stamkos. It all comes down to do they want to do it and will he sign here

i think he's talking more about being able to build a team around stamkos making $10+ mil....if stamkos scores 60 then you can make it work but if he scores 30 for that cost we'd have the same cap issue we have now

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
i think he's talking more about being able to build a team around stamkos making $10+ mil....if stamkos scores 60 then you can make it work but if he scores 30 for that cost we'd have the same cap issue we have now

Pens do it with both Crosby and Malkin. Hawks doing it with both Toews and Kane..

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
If the Rangers could move Stepan for a top 4 dman who isn't very expensive, and move Staal they could realistically keep Nash, sign Stamkos and keep the important RFAs miller and Kreider. Which imo would put them right up there with anyone in the East providing Stamkos doesn't bust here lol

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Yeah, I wouldn't want to move Stepan unless a clear upgrade is replacing him.

This is the only way you move him. And outside another trade Stamkos is that only guy. Mcdonagh could probably return a 1 C but then we lose both him and Yandlet that's not ideal at all.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA

You really think a team is going to send only premium assets on ELC to the Rangers in return for guys with high contracts like Stepan and Nash? Money is coming back the other way.

Stamkos could easily get 11 million, and that doesn't fit into the Rangers budget.

If they have 16 million in cap space right now you figure

4.5 million for Kreider
4 million for Miller
2.5 million for Hayes
1 million for McIlrath
900K for Jensen

comes out to 12.9 million which leaves just over 3 million in cap space.

If they trade Nash with money retained, let's say hypothetically they gain 3 million in space after the deal. And we'll say Stepan leaves them with a gain of 4 million after he gets traded. Add the 7 million to the 3 million and that leaves you with 10 million, which is Stamos's expected cap hit. Plus you have to fill out the rest of the team.

The math doesn't work. For Stamkos to come here, Nash, Stepan/Brassard, and Staal/Girardi has to go with minimal money retained/money coming back to the Rangers. Either way its not a good use of cap space.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Pens do it with both Crosby and Malkin. Hawks doing it with both Toews and Kane..

and those teams are good when those players are great....if you pay the same $$ to stamkos and lundqvist and stamkos is top 5 in scoring and hank is a vezina candidate then your team is probably going to be good. but if those guys aren't great it could mean big trouble....and given stamkos' health that is a major risk

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Didn't that Brooks article say the Rangers are not going after Stamkos? Stay far, far away. :shakehead

Said it was extremely remote due to cap space.. Why are people so against adding a 26 yr old TOP center who scores 35+ goals a year? I'm assuming it has to be worried about potential blood clots coming back? Because nothing else makes sense

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
You really think a team is going to send only premium assets on ELC to the Rangers in return for guys with high contracts like Stepan and Nash? Money is coming back the other way.

Stamkos could easily get 11 million, and that doesn't fit into the Rangers budget.

If they have 16 million in cap space right now you figure

4.5 million for Kreider
4 million for Miller
2.5 million for Hayes
1 million for McIlrath
900K for Jensen

comes out to 12.9 million which leaves just over 3 million in cap space.

If they trade Nash with money retained, let's say hypothetically they gain 3 million in space after the deal. And we'll say Stepan leaves them with a gain of 4 million after he gets traded. Add the 7 million to the 3 million and that leaves you with 10 million, which is Stamos's expected cap hit. Plus you have to fill out the rest of the team.

The math doesn't work. For Stamkos to come here, Nash, Stepan/Brassard, and Staal/Girardi has to go with minimal money retained/money coming back to the Rangers. Either way its not a good use of cap space.

Based on their last seasons what on earth makes u think Kreider and Hayes will get anywhere near that?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Frans Nielsen has excellent wheels and he has hockey sense. There's a bit of an age offset with him. Barring career ending injury he has at least three good years ahead of him. He has some offensive game and he's an excellent penalty killer and that's an area we could use a serious upgrade in. He's better at it than any forward we have currently. He may be the best player in the league in shootout situations which is not a lot of help in the playoffs but in the regular season it gets a team wins.

I wouldn't want to give him more than 4 years but IMO he's a player we should definitely look at if he's available on July 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad