Speculation: Roster Building Thread XLVII: June Swoon or a 1st rounder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I don't see Stepan going to Minn unless we've already locked up Stamkos. Minnesota has no one that could beat Brassard out of a spot, much less Stepan. No center other than Stamkos on the market who is young and can put up PPG anything around Stepan.

It just doesn't seem very likely. Step is a big piece to send out. What could Minn even offer back that would make it worth while? Multiple 1st round picks?

Brodin + 1st would be a nice start.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I don't see Stepan going to Minn unless we've already locked up Stamkos. Minnesota has no one that could beat Brassard out of a spot, much less Stepan. No center other than Stamkos on the market who is young and can put up PPG anything around Stepan.

It just doesn't seem very likely. Step is a big piece to send out. What could Minn even offer back that would make it worth while? Multiple 1st round picks?

Like u said, Rangers would have to have locked up Stamkos first. When do RFA offers have to be given out?

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I don't know how likely it is but the play for me has always been Stamkos then trade Stepan for the best package preferably including a young defenseman. Rangers would be instantly better

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
They also have Gustav Bouramman who they took in the 7th round a year or two ago. Swedish offensive defenseman that's teammates for the SSM Greyhounds with Halverson.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Minny actually has a lot that could tempt the Rangers. Dumba, Brodin, Coyle, Nino....Alex Tuch , Joel Eriksoon Ek and Gustav Olofsson in the system...and a first rounder this year.

Sure they have interesting pieces. But we would e trading our young, 1st line C to them. Who replaces that if not Stamkos?

Maybe Coyle or Granlund, but now you've made a 2A-2B center tandem (as many people here describe Step and Brass) into a 2B-2C tandem. We have depth at center but not 1st line presence. We'd be dealing away our top center and getting what to replace him at first line C? Nothing from Minnesota.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I think it's pretty damn certain Nash will be much better next year than he was this season, there's not even a debate there. His size and skills haven't deteriorated

I think he will be better than last season. But I definitely disagree that his skills have not deteriorated. He isn't the same player he was even 2 years ago. Age comes for everyone.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Sure they have interesting pieces. But we would e trading our young, 1st line C to them. Who replaces that if not Stamkos?

Maybe Coyle or Granlund, but now you've made a 2A-2B center tandem (as many people here describe Step and Brass) into a 2B-2C tandem. We have depth at center but not 1st line presence. We'd be dealing away our top center and getting what to replace him at first line C? Nothing from Minnesota.

oh, sorry. I wasn't addressing the Stamkos angle, more so just the "what could Minnesota send us anyway" question. I think Minny has a lot of pieces the rangers would be interested in.

But yes, the only way you entertain a Step deal is if you're getting Stamkos....that, or just a monumental overpayment.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Minn definitely has enticing pieces, but how do u replace Stepan if it's not Stamkos? That doesn't make us better short or long term.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I didn't realize Brodin is old at 22... :popcorn: ;)

Dumba works. Not sure if they would be willing to part with him though.

I wasn't indicating Brodin was young I meant Dumba is still cheap. Brodin is on a good deal but not cheap like Dumba will be plus isn't he another LHD?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Minn definitely has enticing pieces, but how do u replace Stepan if it's not Stamkos? That doesn't make us better short or long term.

Therein lies the question. Most of the board is vehemently against signing Stamkos. Many people also call for a quick retooling and be back in contention in 2-3 years. Where does our #1C come from at that time?

I am not advocating for signing Stamkos but if you trade Stepan I think it has to be in the cards. If you trade Stepan, Nash, Staal/Girardi and sign Stamkos you accomplish multiple things including keeping the team competitive and restocking the system.

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
Trade everyone.

From the article, lol

One player (Andrew Ladd) spoke to was Tanner Glass. “He said it was chaos…free agency hits, you get all these offers and everyone wants an answer right then. But it’s changed with the (week-before) window. It’s exciting to see what options will be available.â€

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Totally ok with trading Stepan/Nash...You will fetch a serious return for those two.

Lundy HOF

May 23, 2016
We usually assume a large amount of $ retention in order to move Nash. Just curious, if the Preds would be willing to eat more of the Cap hit. Would we accept just Fiala+1st in order to free up cap space (possibly to resign Yandle)?

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
If the Wild are interested in Stepan, it's gotta be for Dumba. Pass on Brodin. They have some nice pieces, but Dumba is what I would want.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I wasn't indicating Brodin was young I meant Dumba is still cheap. Brodin is on a good deal but not cheap like Dumba will be plus isn't he another LHD?

He's left handed, but he plays both sides. In fact, he's spent most of his time on the right with Minnesota.

Frankly, I love the idea of getting Brodin. I think all the tools are there, he just hasn't been able to work it out with the shuffle on D in Minnesota. At worst, he's a 2nd pairing guy locked up on a very reasonable deal. I think he's poised to take a big step forward, and if he does, he could be a steal of a #2.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
We usually assume a large amount of $ retention in order to move Nash. Just curious, if the Preds would be willing to eat more of the Cap hit. Would we accept just Fiala+1st in order to free up cap space (possibly to resign Yandle)?

I believe someone said it in a prior post, but the max a team an retain in a trade is 50%. 3.9M

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
He's left handed, but he plays both sides. In fact, he's spent most of his time on the right with Minnesota.

Frankly, I love the idea of getting Brodin. I think all the tools are there, he just hasn't been able to work it out with the shuffle on D in Minnesota. At worst, he's a 2nd pairing guy locked up on a very reasonable deal. I think he's poised to take a big step forward, and if he does, he could be a steal of a #2.

well thats the thing, we have McD and Skjei. So while that would be a pretty nice set up on the L side, with Graves in the AHL, the need is on the right side.

If Dumba can be acquired, it frees you up to sell high on Klein.

The Undertaker

Jun 22, 2012
From the article, lol

One player (Andrew Ladd) spoke to was Tanner Glass. “He said it was chaos…free agency hits, you get all these offers and everyone wants an answer right then. But it’s changed with the (week-before) window. It’s exciting to see what options will be available.â€

Ok, Glass. That's why nobody wanted your ass for free on waivers this year.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012

AV wouldn't play 2 lefties together anyway... see Mcdonagh and Yandle why that was never tried I'll never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad