Speculation: Roster Building Thread XLVII: June Swoon or a 1st rounder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
well thats the thing, we have McD and Skjei. So while that would be a pretty nice set up on the L side, with Graves in the AHL, the need is on the right side.

If Dumba can be acquired, it frees you up to sell high on Klein.

Or you just put Brodin on the right where he's completely comfortable. Right now, penciling Skjei into the top-4 is a mistake, and Dumba is a bottom-pairing defender with lots of improvement needed before he sees the top-4 on a regular basis. So that means you don't have any established RH defenders capable of playing in the top-4 between McIlrath, Dumba, and Girardi. Not exactly a recipe for positive player development, let alone team success.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
AV wouldn't play 2 lefties together anyway... see Mcdonagh and Yandle why that was never tried I'll never know.

AV is going to have to learn to adapt or he's going to be shown the door. He's not going to be coaching a Cup contending roster in the fall. He has to change his ways.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
If I trusted AV to play 2 lefties together Id be all for keeping Yandle. But we know AV would just misuse him again and for 6M+? Can't do that.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Or you just put Brodin on the right where he's completely comfortable. Right now, penciling Skjei into the top-4 is a mistake, and Dumba is a bottom-pairing defender with lots of improvement needed before he sees the top-4 on a regular basis. So that means you don't have any established RH defenders capable of playing in the top-4 between McIlrath, Dumba, and Girardi. Not exactly a recipe for positive player development, let alone team success.

Brodin may be comfortable on the R side, but AV is religious about playing guys on their strong side. Plus, if anyone would be moving to the right, it would be Skjei. Not Brodin. But either way I'm in the camp of keeping Skjei on the left side, at least for the foreseeable future.

Skjei is going to get top 4 minutes, between ES and PK, he'll be 20+a night.

If the rangers trade for Dumba, and play him on the 3rd pairing. Thats a mistake. He's what, 21? Girardi is the 3rd pairing RHD next season.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Brodin may be comfortable on the R side, but AV is religious about playing guys on their strong side. Plus, if anyone would be moving to the right, it would be Skjei. Not Brodin. But either way I'm in the camp of keeping Skjei on the left side, at least for the foreseeable future.

Why wouldn't they play the guy who has shown he can play the right, on the right? Like I said in my other post, AV needs to learn to adapt or he'll be shown the door. The Rangers can't go after lesser players just because they're right-handed and AV will pout about an imbalance of lefties and righties.

Skjei is going to get top 4 minutes, between ES and PK, he'll be 20+a night.

Throwing him to the wolves. Not a good development strategy.

If the rangers trade for Dumba, and play him on the 3rd pairing. Thats a mistake. He's what, 21? Girardi is the 3rd pairing RHD next season.

What choice would they have? Make him and McIlrath play way above their abilities just so they can keep Girardi out of the top-4? That's a mistake.

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
If I trusted AV to play 2 lefties together Id be all for keeping Yandle. But we know AV would just misuse him again and for 6M+? Can't do that.

Not to defend AV cause I think he's made plenty of mistakes but I believe there was a few at least one game where he moved McD to the right due to injuries but it turned out to be a few brutal games (I could be totally wrong on that) and didn't he use Skjei on the right side in the playoffs? Wasn't it McD-KK, Staal/Yandle-Boyle, & Staal/Yandle-Skjei? Haven't the rangers been somewhat grooming Skjei to move to the right in the AHL and it wouldn't surprise me if they had asked the USA team to have him play on the right side during the Worlds recently.

Lundy HOF

May 23, 2016
I believe someone said it in a prior post, but the max a team an retain in a trade is 50%. 3.9M

Yeah that makes sense to me. I am more curious about if we would be willing to deal him for maybe only 10%-20% retained for Fiala+1st rather than 50% and ask for Wilson too or a similar extra asset.

Essentially what do we want more, the cap space (resign Yandle?) or an extra asset for us eating more $s.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
AV wouldn't play 2 lefties together anyway... see Mcdonagh and Yandle why that was never tried I'll never know.
that wasn't really the issue. McDonagh and Skjei both played a few games, heck even Boyle and McIlrath was a thing. AV just doesn't trust Yandle on the first pairing and being defensively responsible. Which is also a reason I can't see Yandle coming back, no doubt AV has input on the roster and he just doesn't trust Yandle.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
We've seen Staal-McDonagh, McDonagh-Skjei, Yandle-McDonagh (briefly), and Boyle-McIlrath this season. AV made his killing with Edler-Ehrhoff in Vancouver. He prefers to have L-D, but it's not always a guarantee. You make due with what you're given.

I agree with Trxjw regarding Brodin, and I wouldn't mind him in a trade. It's tough to tell if they'd give up Dumba. Maybe Boudreau opts for the more defensive guy.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Yeah that makes sense to me. I am more curious about if we would be willing to deal him for maybe only 10%-20% retained for Fiala+1st rather than 50% and ask for Wilson too or a similar extra asset.

Essentially what do we want more, the cap space (resign Yandle?) or an extra asset for us eating more $s.

Wilson or Nystrom isn't as much of an "ask" as it is a cap balance for the trade. Wilson had a great playoff, but he's a relatively expensive 3rd liner at this point. Nystrom is going to be dealt or bought out this summer. Preds already announced it.

Eating a large portion of Nash's cap hit is what gets us to Fiala and a first, so asking them to take more of his contract probably gets us a lesser prospect or a lower pick.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Why wouldn't they play the guy who has shown he can play the right, on the right? Like I said in my other post, AV needs to learn to adapt or he'll be shown the door. The Rangers can't go after lesser players just because they're right-handed and AV will pout about an imbalance of lefties and righties.

Throwing him to the wolves. Not a good development strategy.

What choice would they have? Make him and McIlrath play way above their abilities just so they can keep Girardi out of the top-4? That's a mistake.

- Skjei has shown he can play the right side. He did so with the NYR this season, and with hartford as well. I agree on the point of adaption,

- Its not really, he played 12 games last year, 5 of which he was over 19M a game. He never looked out of place. I don't think he'll collapse playing 20-21 a night next season. That said, they should still attempt to acquire another legit LHD, at a reasonable cost, to buttress the position. john michael lies comes to mind.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Wilson or Nystrom isn't as much of an "ask" as it is a cap balance for the trade. Wilson had a great playoff, but he's a relatively expensive 3rd liner at this point. Nystrom is going to be dealt or bought out this summer. Preds already announced it.

Eating a large portion of Nash's cap hit is what gets us to Fiala and a first, so asking them to take more of his contract probably gets us a lesser prospect or a lower pick.

Color me intrigued with Colin Wilson if they are looking to clear space. He has a horrid season this year, and he is still very similar in overall career production to Kreider. Plays a similar big mans game.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I think it's pretty damn certain Nash will be much better next year than he was this season, there's not even a debate there. His size and skills haven't deteriorated

this statement is so full of holes.

first, even if he's better than last year that aint saying much. last year was really bad.

there is a debate there yes.

his size isn't the issue. kevin hayes is bigger and he was worse. size doesnt matter :laugh:

his skills certainly have deteriorated or was i watching the wrong rick nash last season ?

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
this statement is so full of holes.

first, even if he's better than last year that aint saying much. last year was really bad.

there is a debate there yes.

his size isn't the issue. kevin hayes is bigger and he was worse. size doesnt matter :laugh:

his skills certainly have deteriorated or was i watching the wrong rick nash last season ?

I believe it's surrounding the fact that the organization knows he was playing hurt for the majority of last season.

Lundy HOF

May 23, 2016
I could be making this up but I thought I remembered reading awhile back that Dumba wanted a "big boy" contract ($5M+ a season); assuming that's the case, he better be ready to play quality top 4 mins...we already have a $5M 3rd pairing RHD.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
I could be making this up but I thought I remembered reading awhile back that Dumba wanted a "big boy" contract ($5M+ a season); assuming that's the case, he better be ready to play quality top 4 mins...we already have a $5M 3rd pairing RHD.

dude has one full season under his belt, if thats true, its a major red flag.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Yeah if that's true I don't want Dumba at all.. Also looking at the Wild's cap space how are they going to afford Stepan with 7M and only 15 players signed?. Buyout Vanek?

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Yeah if that's true I don't want Dumba at all.. Also looking at the Wild's cap space how are they going to afford Stepan with 7M and only 15 players signed?. Buyout Vanek?

I assume they'd have to either include Vanek, or find another taker. Only has one 1 year left, so if salary is retained I could see someone taking a chance on him. But he may have a NMC

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
- Skjei has shown he can play the right side. He did so with the NYR this season, and with hartford as well. I agree on the point of adaption,

- Its not really, he played 12 games last year, 5 of which he was over 19M a game. He never looked out of place. I don't think he'll collapse playing 20-21 a night next season. That said, they should still attempt to acquire another legit LHD, at a reasonable cost, to buttress the position. john michael lies comes to mind.

You can't base his projection on 12 games. Let him win the spot over time. Don't just pencil him in there.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Color me intrigued with Colin Wilson if they are looking to clear space. He has a horrid season this year, and he is still very similar in overall career production to Kreider. Plays a similar big mans game.

I like his versatility, and of course there's the off-chance he carries his playoff success into next year and becomes a contributor. Plus, teams are always looking for size and maybe you could turn around and flip him for another piece as well.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I believe it's surrounding the fact that the organization knows he was playing hurt for the majority of last season.

i think were only now starting to hear that narrative.

if you are trying to move him, then it would make sense that the "story" would be that he was hurt and but for that "injury" he would have scored 40.

im not sure I'm buying that swamp land just yet.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
You can't base his projection on 12 games. Let him win the spot over time. Don't just pencil him in there.

I'm not, which is why I'm for them getting another vet LHD D in here, a guy like Liles who could probably be had on a short term deal.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I like his versatility, and of course there's the off-chance he carries his playoff success into next year and becomes a contributor. Plus, teams are always looking for size and maybe you could turn around and flip him for another piece as well.

Agreed. I think he can be a 40-50 point scorer in the NHL. That's worth that contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad