Speculation: Roster Building Thread XLVII: June Swoon or a 1st rounder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Ryan Ellis is 25, will be almost 26 when next season starts and just broke 30 points for the first time in his career this season. And he's small. No single of those factors is disqualifying, but all three? Sure, he could play our second pairing right now, but I don't think he should be as much a target as someone like Barrie, Vatanen, and Shattenkirk.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-matthew-tkachuks-draft-stock-gaining-momentum/

18. There’s a lot of smoke around the Rangers, too. Rick Nash’s no-move is gone, but he does have some control, 12 teams he can be traded to.

It sounds like there is legit interest. He’s got a big ticket, and that makes it more difficult, but it’s not impossible. Remember he’s got plenty of fans in the organization who know he was hurt last season.

If he’s healthy, he makes a big difference. And, is he more valuable with one year remaining in his contract, not two? The Rangers also have centres. And, everyone is looking for centres. They’re going to be interesting to watch.

Friedman seems to think that Nash is still on the trade market this offseason, but also seems to think that Nash might stay one more season and be traded when he has only one year left (pending how well he does next year, of course).

He's also suggesting that the Rangers might look at trading one of their centers...

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Ryan Ellis is 25, will be almost 26 when next season starts and just broke 30 points for the first time in his career this season. And he's small. No single of those factors is disqualifying, but all three? Sure, he could play our second pairing right now, but I don't think he should be as much a target as someone like Barrie, Vatanen, and Shattenkirk.

To be fair, his numbers would be a good bit better if he got more PP time. Josi/Weber get over 3 min a game. Seth Jones got 2.28. Ellis only 2.01. Now Josi/Weber also outproduced Ellis on the PP so it makes sense that they got the ice time.

For comparisons sale that is in between what Boyle (2.09) and McD (1.94) got for PP TOI this year.

However when factoring in TOI he actually outproduced Weber and Seth Jones 5v5 this year. 0.92 Pts/60 5v5.

Notable Rangers: McD (1.12), Klein (1.08), Yandle (0.98), Boyle (0.57).

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

Kreider is 25
Wilson is 26

Kreider has .52ppg
Wilson has .467ppg

Kreider is 6'3 226lbs
Wilson is 6'1 221lbs

Kreider has .25 gpg
Wilson has .19 gpg

Kreider has .51ppg in playoffs
Wilson has .61 ppg in playoffs

Kreider will most likely be getting in the neighborhood of 4-4.5 million on a long term deal. Wilson is making 3.975m on a long term deal. I'd take both of them at around 4 if they could get them both.

Wilson would be a solid addition as the main NHL centerpiece for Nash if it was possible.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
To be fair, his numbers would be a good bit better if he got more PP time. Josi/Weber get over 3 min a game. Seth Jones got 2.28. Ellis only 2.01. Now Josi/Weber also outproduced Ellis on the PP so it makes sense that they got the ice time.

For comparisons sale that is in between what Boyle (2.09) and McD (1.94) got for PP TOI this year.

However when factoring in TOI he actually outproduced Weber and Seth Jones 5v5 this year. 0.92 Pts/60 5v5.

Notable Rangers: McD (1.12), Klein (1.08), Yandle (0.98), Boyle (0.57).

I think he's worth taking a chance on, just saying there are better targets out there with less risk.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I like Ellis, but I agree, as far as puck movers go, the Rangers need to find a couple of other guys who can really drive the offense from the back-end.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Unless Rangers are going for Stamkos, there's no way they can trade Stepan or Brassard realistically.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Sounds like the debate is:

A. Hope Nash rebounds for 35+, trade him with less term next offseason
2. Sell now in case he has another subpar or injury influenced year, even if you need to retain some salary

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Nashville dealt Jones away because they could absorb the loss of him on the right-side. Why would they follow that up with dealing Ryan Ellis?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Sounds like the debate is:

A. Hope Nash rebounds for 35+, trade him with less term next offseason
2. Sell now in case he has another subpar or injury influenced year, even if you need to retain some salary

I would think option #2 would be more attractive to some teams while option #1 may be better for others. A team like Nashville or STL may be okay with the Rangers retaining some to get 2 cracks at The Cup with Nash on their roster.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Nashville dealt Jones away because they could absorb the loss of him on the right-side. Why would they follow that up with dealing Ryan Ellis?

They won't. Their defense is mostly fine as long as Weber doesn't begin to decline on an absolute tailspin. They need forwards and Brassard or Nash would fit in perfectly for them.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I think it's pretty damn certain Nash will be much better next year than he was this season, there's not even a debate there. His size and skills haven't deteriorated

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Brooks had that last week as well, with the Stepan/Wild connection.

Guess there's some steam to it.

I don't see Stepan going to Minn unless we've already locked up Stamkos. Minnesota has no one that could beat Brassard out of a spot, much less Stepan. No center other than Stamkos on the market who is young and can put up PPG anything around Stepan.

It just doesn't seem very likely. Step is a big piece to send out. What could Minn even offer back that would make it worth while? Multiple 1st round picks?

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
I don't see Stepan going to Minn unless we've already locked up Stamkos. Minnesota has no one that could beat Brassard out of a spot, much less Stepan. No center other than Stamkos on the market who is young and can put up PPG anything around Stepan.

It just doesn't seem very likely. Step is a big piece to send out. What could Minn even offer back that would make it worth while? Multiple 1st round picks?

Minny actually has a lot that could tempt the Rangers. Dumba, Brodin, Coyle, Nino....Alex Tuch , Joel Eriksoon Ek and Gustav Olofsson in the system...and a first rounder this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland