Speculation: Roster Building Thread XLVII: June Swoon or a 1st rounder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'd trade for Bickell if this year is a transition year if Chicago would throw in some nice pieces of a nice piece. That's exactly what this team should do of they are retooling AND can make some cap space.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
What would go back for Bickell though? He's got one more year left at $4 million. Chicago isn't taking Staal, Girardi or Nash.

Bickel and Teravainen for what?

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
I'd trade for Bickell if this year is a transition year if Chicago would throw in some nice pieces of a nice piece. That's exactly what this team should do of they are retooling AND can make some cap space.

If we can offload Nash on another team to create the cap to take Bickell, I'd do it if the piece coming with him is decent. Force them to take Glass back.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Probably doesn't affect Rangers but Coyotes are likely to move Marty Hanzal.

That ship sailed. He would've made sense a couple of seasons ago, but not now. I see him going to a team like the Devils, Canes, Sens, or Nashville.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

I'd only do it if they were adding a piece of Teravainen's caliber. They likely want futures back, so perhaps flipping Klein to Edmonton might make sense for their 2nd this year and another piece. Send that to Chicago.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Well Chicago is looking to upgrade their blue line as well so I could see something like Bickell + TT for Klein's great contract actually being very attractive. We endure one year of Bickell and then it's basically TT for Klein, which is excellent asset management.

For Chicago:

Keith - Seabrook
Hjalmarsson - Klein

Is an instant improvement.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Well Chicago is looking to upgrade their blue line as well so I could see something like Bickell + TT for Klein's great contract actually being very attractive. We endure one year of Bickell and then it's basically TT for Klein, which is excellent asset management.

For Chicago:

Keith - Seabrook
Hjalmarsson - Klein

Is an instant improvement.

Hypothetically I'd ask for that defensemen the Isles traded in the Leddy deal too... he is a bit smallish but looks like he'll be an NHLer... and I'd retain 50% on Klein to do it. Buyout Bickell.

Last year they gave up Stephen Johns to off-load Sharp... a very good defenseman that was brought along the right way and looks to be a top 4 guy.

But it's highly unlikely the Rangers will carry dead cap space. The Rangers won't do that

They will carry a 3rd pair D with $5.5M on the cap... that's the dead space the Rangers will carry.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Seems like a lot of conflicting info coming out.

Probably best to just wait and see for the official rules to likely come out in a few weeks.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
I'm just gona stop thinking about the expansion draft until it becomes official with rules. The situation is so vague and fluid it's not even worth the time or effort.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Hypothetically I'd ask for that defensemen the Isles traded in the Leddy deal too... he is a bit smallish but looks like he'll be an NHLer... and I'd retain 50% on Klein to do it. Buyout Bickell.

Last year they gave up Stephen Johns to off-load Sharp... a very good defenseman that was brought along the right way and looks to be a top 4 guy.

But it's highly unlikely the Rangers will carry dead cap space. The Rangers won't do that

They will carry a 3rd pair D with $5.5M on the cap... that's the dead space the Rangers will carry.

I think your referencing Ville Pokka.

That would be a nice return for Klein with $1.45 million retained. Teravainen would be a great add that can help right away and Pokka should be able to fight it out for a spot on the right side. He isn't small really. 6ft 215lbs.

Bickell adds depth. He's not that bad of a player just makes way too much money for the role he fills.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
AV recommended that the Canucks bring Lapierre in during their cup run season in 2011. Would not shock me if he did the same again.

God I hope not though, we already have Glass, we don't need Lapierre

I mean, ill take Lapierre INSTEAD of glass... not with glass.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
Yeah I think everyone should just wait until the official rules come out since right now the info is all over the place.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
What would go back for Bickell though? He's got one more year left at $4 million. Chicago isn't taking Staal, Girardi or Nash.

Bickel and Teravainen for what?

Klein maybe. We dump salary elsewhere and take on Bickell's entire 4 mill. As an incentive they give us a young player/prospect.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I think your referencing Ville Pokka.

That would be a nice return for Klein with $1.45 million retained. Teravainen would be a great add that can help right away and Pokka should be able to fight it out for a spot on the right side. He isn't small really. 6ft 215lbs.

Bickell adds depth. He's not that bad of a player just makes way too much money for the role he fills.

Yeah that's him, but I don't think the Rangers take on dead cap space like that.

IMO they will trade for depth and fill up to the cap. I could see 2-3 of these guys moving to make it happen:

Nash
Brassard
Stepan
Klein
Staal

Out of those, Staal will depend on how talks go with Yandle. Unless the Rangers go somewhere in the $45-50M range on 7-8 years, I don't think he's back.

The last time a player of Yandle's profile hit UFA was Brian Cambell. Look how that worked out. (with a cup, a trade, and a player that wasn't worth $7+M but still was and is a good top 4 player).

Stepan: If Minny ponies up Coyle and Dumba, then you pull the trigger. If not then they have some pieces to overpay with... but ones that don't fill the Rangers' needs. Their GM is on the hotseat, times like that is when they make desperate moves. Still I don't think Derek is worth $6.5M on the cap, but I also think he's your last trade chip.

Klein: For what he brings and what he's paid... you don't want to move him... but the argument against it depends on the value.... young NHL player that can play right away? Plus Draft picks? Look at what Polak brought back... he's a 3rd pair guy. Klein is a top 4 guy on a sub $3M hit.

Brassard: IMO this is probably the bold move to make as you have Kevin Hayes who you can put in the Brassard role... Brass is on a 3 year $10M deal after July 1st... tremendous value for any budget team... he's been the Rangers most consistent offensive player the last 3 years... however... he produces with favorable matchups. When AV has last change... so.... yeah he's been a big part of the Rangers home success. When the matchups aren't favorable... he doesn't produce. IMO trading him allows the team to get assets, put players in their proper roles, and back fill the line up.

Nash: IMO he'll get a ransom compared to what people say here. Generally a player like this doesn't get traded every off-season. I'm not of the group where I go "Gaaahh he sux.. get rid of him for anything". IMO you identify roles you want to fill in a return for Nash... and draft picks. If you get a first... take that first and trade down and get more picks. Stretch the value of this asset.

The Rangers biggest issue last year is that they didn't have guys that did their jobs... didn't have guys that filled their roles. Didn't have guys that showed up every night. Didn't have guys that would battle for a full 60. Didn't have guys that they could send over the bench to protect a lead in critical time.

What does that mean? They didn't have the depth, nor the right kind of depth. You don't get without making sacrifices.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
In broad strokes, the Rangers need to inject speed back into their lineup this offseason. The breakout and the forechecking were akin to molasses last season. In hindsight, Hagelin was the engine - his speed continues to create all kinds of chaos for Pittsburgh and it's been a huge benefit for them.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
In broad strokes, the Rangers need to inject speed back into their lineup this offseason. The breakout and the forechecking were akin to molasses last season. In hindsight, Hagelin was the engine - his speed continues to create all kinds of chaos for Pittsburgh and it's been a huge benefit for them.

100% agreed. Whether it be a speedy, tenacious forecheck like Pitt, or a heavy, grinding forecheck like LA or Anaheim, they need to figure out what identity they want this team to have and build from there.

I'd personally prefer the speed option since the grinding style wears players down a lot faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad