Speculation: Roster Building Thread VII (2019/2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I bolded the two that I'm up in the air on- not personally, but from what I think management is considering.

NYR's bottom 6 is shambolic enough that they may just decide to keep Fast as a known commodity. Otherwise they're pretty much going to have to build a new one from the bottom up.

ADA has not looked great so far this year. As long as Trouba continues to be excellent and Fox looks to grow into a 2nd pairing role, they may consider him surplus to requirements.

The way Fox has started and the way Nils Lundkvist is playing in the SHL is making DeAngelo a guy that we could move for a similar forward, and frankly one that we could use. You wonder if a team that needs a cheap RHD will look at him as a target in the offseason or even at the TDL. That's a long time from now, but we'll revisit something like that in 3 months time.

As for Fast, he's the kind of player I'd hope they invest a few more seasons into. We have had a bunch of middling picks recently and Fast probably could get you another one, but we do need guys to help this group moving forward. Committing a two year deal to him would be ideal. I'd go as far as three. Under 2M or close to it per season. It would be a guy that our young players should get time with and you'd feel safe knowing that he'll help them out, even if they aren't producing points on the ice.

And as we saw yesterday, if the top 6 isn't going and you're trying to mix things up, he's capable of filling in for during a game or for a short period of time and he compliments pretty much anyone he plays with based on his effort level and work away from the puck.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Hajek is fine. I see his ceiling as Hjalmarsson with even more limited offensive skills (if possible). That's fine with me. We never did replace Michael Sauer and Hajek's game reminds me of Sauer's a bit.

What pisses me off is essentially choosing Hajek and Howden over Sergachev. Gorton really got abused in that trade. It was rushed and we didn't get maximal value. We chose quantity over quality.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Hajek is fine. I see his ceiling as Hjalmarsson with even more limited offensive skills (if possible). That's fine with me. We never did replace Michael Sauer and Hajek's game reminds me of Sauer's a bit.

What pisses me off is essentially choosing Hajek and Howden over Sergachev. Gorton really got abused in that trade. It was rushed and we didn't get maximal value. We chose quantity over quality.
Unless I missed something, where was it ever reported that this was an option?

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

i don't think it was choosing Sergachev. does anyone know if he was available in that type of trade? maybe he was not available to NYR at all. no one knows except the scouts and management. fans don't know what the management is thinking. fans should stop pretending to know

Reactions: Gardner McKay

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
A large reason teams rarely get these top prospects in deals is because they are insistent on getting a 1st round pick back. Stop worrying about getting late 1sts and just upgrade the prospect if it's a team with a good prospect pool. The whole "Any trade for Kreider starts with a 1st" is just a bad mentality. I'd be fine with a 1st for Kreider. I'd be fine with zero picks for Kreider. It all depends.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
i don't think it was choosing Sergachev. does anyone know if he was available in that type of trade? maybe he was not available to NYR at all. no one knows except the scouts and management. fans don't know what the management is thinking. fans should stop pretending to know

Was Brannstrom available for Mark freakin' Stone? I'm not pretending to know, but let's look at this from an objective standpoint. You're trading a top-pair defenseman and a top-6 Winger. You don't think you should get back more than a late first rounder, a defenseman with limited offensive skill and a centreman with...again, limited offensive skill? We were in the driver's seat. The Lightning thought it was their year and they were going for it. We could've gotten a true king's ransom of futures for McDonagh and Miller and it really seems like we settled.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
A large reason teams rarely get these top prospects in deals is because they are insistent on getting a 1st round pick back. Stop worrying about getting late 1sts and just upgrade the prospect if it's a team with a good prospect pool. The whole "Any trade for Kreider starts with a 1st" is just a bad mentality. I'd be fine with a 1st for Kreider. I'd be fine with zero picks for Kreider. It all depends.

Totally agree and let's face it. Draft picks are great assets, but they're crapshoots. Late first rounders end up more like Josh Ho-Sang than David Pastrnak.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
It wasn't, but you don't think trading a top-6 F and a top-pair defenseman SHOULD HAVE netted someone like Sergachev?

Sure but that isn't what I take issue with.

It is the premise that Gorton chose Howden & Hajek over Sergachev that I disagree with as you yourself acknowledged we don't know that it was ever an option. There is also the premise that it was a rushed deal. It may appear that way in a vacuum but it is possible JG was working on other deals that fell apart.

Gorton is not perfect. He has his flaws as does every GM. I also would have liked a bit more in that trade. I just don't like presenting a hypothetical scenario as factual information. For all we know the deal JG took was the best deal out there.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Sure but that isn't what I take issue with.

It is the premise that Gorton chose Howden & Hajek over Sergachev that I disagree with as you yourself acknowledged we don't know that it was ever an option. There is also the premise that it was a rushed deal. It may appear that way in a vacuum but it is possible JG was working on other deals that fell apart.

Gorton is not perfect. He has his flaws as does every GM. I also would have liked a bit more in that trade. I just don't like presenting a hypothetical scenario as factual information. For all we know the deal JG took was the best deal out there.

Perhaps chose is the wrong word. I should have used the word settled.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City

We had both under control for the following year. There was no rush to trade them during the season, particularly McDonagh. They could have easily waited for the offseason/the draft to trade McDonagh.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
ARE YOU ************************ KIDDING ME?

Fast on the first line? Howden as the 2C? Staal in the lineup AGAIN? I guess if it's broke, don't fix it.

Coach Quinn, I have enough grief from the Giants and the Knicks. Please don't do this.

Remember when AV did this? LOL

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Perhaps chose is the wrong word. I should have used the word settled.
Fair enough. But then ask yourself this, if you're in the Lightning's shoes, are you really going to give up Sergachev? You know the Rangers have to deal McDonagh at that deadline other wise his value takes another hit. I can understand wanting to push for different prospects at the time such as Foote/Raddysh/etc. I just don't think Sergachev was ever going to be moved. Teams rarely trade those kind of prospects unless it is in a 1 for 1 deal.

We had both under control for the following year. There was no rush to trade them during the season, particularly McDonagh. They could have easily waited for the offseason/the draft to trade McDonagh.
Two playoff runs with McDonagh > One playoff run with McDonagh from a value standpoint.

Reactions: JCProdigy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2