Speculation: Roster Building Thread VII (2019/2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
That's no excuse.

Gorton and company needed to go into Tampa - Tom Hanks, Vin Diesel, and Tom Sizemore style.

TDL 2018: Saving Mikhail Sergachev

paramount-11707-Full-Image_GalleryBackground-en-US-1484000598537._SX1080_.jpg

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Fast is a good player for what he is. I would love for the Rangers to sign him again at a cap hit very reasonable to what he has now and not flip him for a 4th or some bullshit.

Reactions: lucky13 and bobbop

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I think we are all forgetting the expansion draft as well..

I mean we are pretty much guaranteed to lose either Lemieux or DeAngelo right?

Neither Shestorksin or Georgieov can be claimed correct?

Shestyorkin exempt
Georgiev protected
Lundqvist UFA

On defense, we protect Skjei, Trouba + 1 more. Probably DeAngelo. Fox exempt, Smith and Staal UFA
On offense, we protect 7. Panarin, Zibanejad, Buchnevich, Howden, Chytil, Andersson maybe?

Reactions: Rongomania

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Then McDonagh shouldn't have been available to the Lightning

This is not how negotiations work. We wanted to move McDonagh. They wanted McDonagh. They provided Gorton with a list of players they were willing to move. Gorton and Yzerman made an agreement.

We see this every year. People overrate their veterans with expiring contracts. Teams do not give up stud prospects that easily. That didn't happen with Nash. Grabner. Hayes. Zucc.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Shestyorkin exempt
Georgiev protected
Lundqvist UFA

On defense, we protect Skjei, Trouba + 1 more. Probably DeAngelo. Fox exempt, Smith and Staal UFA
On offense, we protect 7. Panarin, Zibanejad, Buchnevich, Howden, Chytil, Andersson maybe?

Like except you gotta leave Brady unprotected as we should HOPE one of the LD kids steps up and in before then.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Sure. We just saw the Knights trade their prized defensive prospect in Erik Brannstrom for Mark Stone. At the very least I could envision something like McDonagh for Sergachev. A top-pair guy for a stud young prospect? I think that's totally fair given that the Lightning were going for it all. Even McDonagh + Miller for Sergachev is a fairer deal than what New York actually got. It never seemed like Hajek nor Howden were considered top prospects with the Lightning and if you're going to trade for a top-pair defenseman and a top-6 F, you expect to be giving a top prospect.

I remember it was reported afterwards that Hajek was a deal-breaker. Why a guy with limited offensive skills and average skating/mobility was a deal-breaker is beyond me. Hajek's a fine player, but he's never going to be a top-pair guy. And in regard to Howden, Howden is a limited offensive player as well, but what also confused me at the time were the comparisons between Howden and Lias. People were saying that it seemed redundant to have two guys who "max out" as middle-6 Centers.

That is one example, not a precedent and Stone came already extended. Sergachev was viewed as a future #1 d. Tampa was never trading him.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
The expansion draft is so far away that we're likely to have multiple players on our roster that are in other organizations right now. I wouldn't fret over any pre-planning until the beginning of next season when it comes to players that the team wants to have around long term.

Reactions: Rongomania

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
See, this is where I grow concerned (and a little annoyed).

There's plenty of factual, real world stuff to be unhappy about. But we have to stop making up our own scenarios in our head, taking them as fact, and then lamenting them.

Sergachev was never available, nor were some of the other hypothetical deals that we sometimes fixate on.

That Tampa deal especially feels like we just randomly insert the names of players we really like into a scenario in which they were never on the table.

Would Sergachev been part of the Miller for Names trade, or McDonagh for picks/prospects trade? I can never tell which trades people are talking about

/ducks

Reactions: Edge

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
IMHO his straight lines style could work with someone else bringing creativity into play. Strome got enough hockey sense to be in involved and in the right place with higher-end players. Not enough offense to be on the 1st line but might be just enough for the 2nd.

Definitely, and it’s not a knock on him, for me it’s more that he is a bad fit. To put it like this, I don’t think Strome is a worse player than Dom Moore was, but I would much rather have Dom right now than Ryan.

The problem is that it’s still Hawaii out there when Strome hits the ice. It’s Hawaii when Ziba and Panarin tries to be too cute. It’s the battle of Alamo when Howden is on the ice. And our 4th barely play.

I am sure it would make a — big — difference if we inbetween the kids and next to Zibas line had one that could just calm things down, get the puck up ice and create some pressure.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Would Sergachev been part of the Miller for Names trade, or McDonagh for picks/prospects trade? I can never tell which trades people are talking about

/ducks

Has it been confirmed that Miller/Names was a 1-for-1 swap? Or was it part of the entire deal? I thought it was the latter.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Fast is a good player for what he is. I would love for the Rangers to sign him again at a cap hit very reasonable to what he has now and not flip him for a 4th or some bull****.

Fast has been crap for a long time, but the last couple of games we have seen the old Jesper. He has been a top 5 forward for us.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Instead of losing Skjei in the expansion draft for nothing in return except cap space, that would be a terrible management move on the Rangers part. He should be included in a deal prior to any of that happening. If the Rangers want to protect someone else, it should not be at the expense of losing a player which still has considerable market value.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Fast has been crap for a long time, but the last couple of games we have seen the old Jesper. He has been a top 5 forward for us.

Fast is my sleeper for providing a better return than some might think at the deadline.

If he's on his game, he's exactly the type of player teams are looking to add for the playoffs.

You might have a team that is willing to part with nice B-level prospect for him.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY

He provides more value at his current cap hit than him not being in a Rangers sweater for a 4th round pick. He is a veteran guy and he has a fantastic work ethic. Very admirable from a leadership standpoint. Especially once Kreider is gift wrapped at the trade deadline. There has to be more veterans on the team besides Zibanejad and Panarin at the forward core. Fast can be a cheap veteran who plays in the Bottom 6.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Fast is my sleeper for providing a better return than some might think at the deadline.

If he's on his game, he's exactly the type of player teams are looking to add for the playoffs.

You might have a team that is willing to part with nice B-level prospect for him.

That and/or he may fit even better on a more solid team and amp up his play on a potential PO run.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Has it been confirmed that Miller/Names was a 1-for-1 swap? Or was it part of the entire deal? I thought it was the latter.

As far as I understand (and I could be completely wrong):

Gorton wanted a 1st, Howden and Hajek for McDonagh.

Yzerman countered with 1st, Howden, Hajek for Mcdonagh and Miller.

Gorton countered with 1st, Howden, Hajek, Namestnikov for Mcdonagh and Miller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille