Speculation: Roster Building Thread VII (2019/2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I’d just love to see how mean of a pairing him & Trouba would be :laugh:

11jK7UMYJ8xnjO.gif

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Trouba is sacrificed on the second line in favor of Skjei on the first for depth purposes? Bump Skjei down. Trouba can handle first pairing assignments and log 25 TOI — Skjei cannot do that. Also, Skjei and DeAngelo will be eaten alive in their own zone.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
One big concern for us is that Ryan Strome also isn’t a good fit at all — in relation to our need as a team — at center.

Offensively the center’s job description is two folded. Strome is on the low end at getting it up ice and just not much more than OK with it once there.

But we could really use one of those center work horses there instead. Someone that covers a lot of ice and always is there to help the Ds by skating the puck up ice.

It’s unavoidably that kids will be inconsistent when it comes to consistently getting the puck up ice. Besides Ziba we should have one more center and that center should be much more of that type than Strome is. I am certain that it would help us a lot even to have someone who is a bit of a stiff offensively — but that is solid defensively and can get the puck up ice well — over Strome.

It’s not a knock of Strome really, but no matter what he is certainly not a fit for us. He should be moved out and replaced by another vet center, and Gorton should move ASAP.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I'm hearing Chytil could be called up for Tuesdays game but it will depend on today's game as Quinn isnt likely to switch after a win.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
IMO the lineup needs to be the following by Thanksgiving.

Bread-Zibs-Buch
Kreider-Strome-Kakko
Chytil-Howden-Kravstov
Lemeuix-Lias-Fast

Hajek-Trouba
Skjei-DeAngelo
Lindgren-Fox

That's the best lineup in terms of talent, and future development.

I'd also like to see some mid season firings of the assistant coaches.

Let's get some better minds who know the X's & O's of the current NHL game.

You can bench guys, and shorten lineups based on play and ability.

The roster they are icing now- it's like watching the Wayne Hizinga Panthers.

They were cheap.

The Rangers have not been.

Reactions: MikaIsGod

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Where is RangerBoy these days ? He likely has some interesting takes on the recent trio of games we have played . He is always an interesting read . I have not spotted any of his posts lately .

Reactions: egelband and NYR

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Staal doesn't need to be traded. He just needs to not play. It's amazing the leash he has. He's had a longer leash than Eli Manning and C.C. Sabathia among other local players who have been around for a while (and were far better than him at their sport). But this is the NHL where things are different and like 75% of GMs are former players and such.

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
After strome and Howden got three games each at 2c I think we'll see Andersson there for the next three games. If that doesn't work out we'll probably see chytil called back up afterwards.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
He’s distraught over the Namestnikov trade.

I have been busy with work. They fired someone and someone else got mad about that so that person left in late September. Two people are doing the work for four people.

There is nothing new to discuss with the Rangers. Every topic has discussed for the last 4-5 months. I still read the board but there is not anything new to comment on so I keep my mouth shut.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I have been busy with work. They fired someone and someone else got mad about that so that person left in late September. Two people are doing the work for four people.

There is nothing new to discuss with the Rangers. Every topic has discussed for the last 4-5 months. I still read the board but there is not anything new to comment on so I keep my mouth shut.

Been in that situation my self a few times, take it easy and don't wear yourself out!

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think we have one big issue that Gorton really must deal with ASAP.

I am the first to say that we must be patient and have reasonable expectations. But, its also important to slowly but surely move the process in the right direction. Hence why for example we shouldn't be stuffing all kids into the line-up at the same time, nobody would benefit from that. To play a kid, you must be able to support him enough.

In this perspective we have a few veterans on the roster. And given how our roster look at the wing and defense -- we need to have centers that are fairly strong defensively and at getting the puck up ice. I think its very clear that Ryan Strome doesn't cut it in that regard. He isn't at all that strong energetic center type that thrives at covering up for others and getting the puck up ice. He can be OK in a working environment where he get to play to his strength. As such -- he is an awful fit for us as one of a few "vet" players in the line-up.

Parallel to this we must groom the young centers we have in the system. They must also get ice and been given an opportunity to develop.

Hence I think Gorton immediately must get busy with either moving Strome out, or to the wing, and replacing him with a center that can support the kids. And it shouldn't really matter much if at all if that center has any abilities around the net or in the last fifth of the ice so to speak. The key is to get someone that is strong on his skates, can get back fast, and can drive the puck up ice. A strong 3 C really. Don't matter which line he is on, but that type of support is what our forwards must get. Remember that we also have very offensive minded Ds along with at least one bad defensiveminded D in Staal. We can't have Ziba plus a suspect vet plus two kids.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I know it will never happen, but I'd love to see Derek Stepan center Kreider and Kakko.

Stepans defensive acumen would allow Kakko some offensive freedom.

Stepans above average offensive capabilities would enhance Kakko's ability to do something good in the offensive zone.

Lastly, Derek's even temperament would be a calming force on the ice for the kid.

Again, I know it's never gonna happen, but one can dream

Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I know it will never happen, but I'd love to see Derek Stepan center Kreider and Kakko.

Stepans defensive acumen would allow Kakko some offensive freedom.

Stepans above average offensive capabilities would enhance Kakko's ability to do something good in the offensive zone.

Lastly, Derek's even temperament would be a calming force on the ice for the kid.

Again, I know it's never gonna happen, but one can dream
This is an interesting idea. Stepan for Strome and a third?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Yep. Mostly I post on here when I'm otherwise bored at this point :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad