Speculation: Roster Building Thread VII (2019/2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
@Irishguy42
Yeah I'd be down for it. But TOR would want a bunch back for him.

I also think that ship has sailed.

You're right that they've probably moved off of trading Nylander, but you never know with Toronto.

Plus, from a Rangers perspective, trading several assets for a guy making $7M who might be a center is definitely a big gamble.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
At this point I just don’t see the point in trying to acquire a 2C

Let the kids play the season and see if one of them can fill the spot. And if they don’t, and you don’t draft someone like Byfield, then I’m fine with them going out to look for one next season

I don’t think Nylander, Dvorak or the like is the answer at this point

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
At this point I just don’t see the point in trying to acquire a 2C

Let the kids play the season and see if one of them can fill the spot. And if they don’t, and you don’t draft someone like Byfield, then I’m fine with them going out to look for one next season

I don’t think Nylander, Dvorak or the like is the answer at this point

I don't think you'd find many people who would pick Nylander/Dvorak/etc over Byfield, but betting on Byfield is going to require an awful lot of lottery luck on the Rangers part. Plus, as good as he is now and projects to be over time, there's a real chance that he isn't a viable top-six NHL center until 2021 or beyond. It's a very hard position to step in and excel at.

It all comes back to what a lot of us were saying in the spring. Signing Panarin and trading for Trouba definitely help the team, but they've also started the clock on results. At some point the Rangers will have to step in to address the problem if it's not solved from within, and "just wait a little more" isn't going to suffice.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Have the Rangers called anyone up to replace Namestnikov yet or am I missing something.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Have the Rangers called anyone up to replace Namestnikov yet or am I missing something.

We don't play until Saturday and we don't need to call anyone up. One of McKegg or Haley will take his spot.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
William Nylander would be an excellent trade target and he doesn't seem to be a favorite of Babcock's and I believe he can be a center.

Would trade significant assets for him.
I wouldn’t be surprised if he outlasts Babcock in Toronto. Plus, him and Matthews are really good together and they’re stapled together so far this season

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
We just have to hope one of Andersson, Chytil, Howden, (and Kravstov although I know people hate the idea) step up. Otherwise maybe Herniksson and whoever we draft next year assuming its a lottery pick.

Reactions: Cag29

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
mckegg- whos looked ok so far and has a decent resume, plus haley, were both healthy scratches opening night. theres no need to call up anyone.

names was moved for 2 reasons.

he wasnt going to play here and hes looking for a job next year and its cap relief for a team that was cap tight.

ADA is probably thinking this deal was a month too late.

Reactions: Kaapo Feel

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
No real need to bring someone up. McKegg will play in Names' stead and Haley will be the extra F. Move Lias to the second line and have McKegg center Strome and Smith on the fourth line.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cag29

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
With the way the Rangers wing position is formulating over the next 3-4 years, I'm not sure they need to go out and find a soon to be very highly paid 2C. More than likely, they need to find someone who can keep up and play a defensively responsible game to allow their wingers to excel. Andersson, if he continues to develop, could be that type of guy. 45-50 points.

I like the idea of buying low on Dvorak quite a bit for this reason. Perhaps the Coyotes would retain $500k to facilitate a move and the Rangers have too much depth within the organization at certain positions, it wouldn't be a bad idea to use some of that.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
we dont' need to trade assets for a 2C chytil is close this is a rebuild he will be ready soon enough if he isn't already.

The Rangers only have 1 game between today and what the 18th? Mckegg can play in that one while we bank cap space. Chytil will get a few more games in the A but wouldn't surprise me if he's called up shortly after this weekend.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
if someone really special becomes avail then fine. I'd be all for it but right now is not that time. we need to see what this team is first. if Mika is seriously going to play like this all year the window is officially open. you can't sit and wait 3 years while you have a superstar 26 year old center and superstar 27 year old winger on your team. you go and try and win.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Dvorak, Crouse and 1st to NYR for Kreider and Fast?? Kreider reunited with Stepan. Rangers get a future center and another gritty winger good along the boards and future talent.

Or Dvorak for Fast?? If you wanna save Kreider but it might lower his trade value if he has a garbage year.

Reactions: millencolin487

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
if someone really special becomes avail then fine. I'd be all for it but right now is not that time. we need to see what this team is first. if Mika is seriously going to play like this all year the window is officially open. you can't sit and wait 3 years while you have a superstar 26 year old center and superstar 27 year old winger on your team. you go and try and win.

Interesting take.

I might object against it, but I am not sure it should be disregarded.

A few thoughts:
1. I don't really think a classic "win-now" move even helps us winning a Cup. Its a young mans game. Just looking at the trade deadline acquisitions the last years -- how many of those moves even helped the team that made them? More often than not it feels like the team making the trade basically takes a step back. You lose chemistry, often whomever you go out and trade for takes time to settle down.

2. The vets are often just not that good anymore. The game is so much about skating, vets are often on the slower side.

3. The result of this is that if you want to make a "win-now" move, you should trade for a kid just entering his prime, and do it during the off-season or early in the year. This would of course not be easy. But I don't even remotely think that you could be successful with a 1994 type of drive for it in this league right now.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
With the way the Rangers wing position is formulating over the next 3-4 years, I'm not sure they need to go out and find a soon to be very highly paid 2C. More than likely, they need to find someone who can keep up and play a defensively responsible game to allow their wingers to excel. Andersson, if he continues to develop, could be that type of guy. 45-50 points.

I like the idea of buying low on Dvorak quite a bit for this reason. Perhaps the Coyotes would retain $500k to facilitate a move and the Rangers have too much depth within the organization at certain positions, it wouldn't be a bad idea to use some of that.

Definitely agree for the most part. The allure of adding a 65+ point center behind Zibanejad is certainly hard to resist, but it's not the likely scenario. Not unless they get a player who hasn't gotten to that level yet. If the Rangers say Panarin/Zib/Buch is a lock, and our future on the 2nd line is Kravtsov and Kakko, well then there's a very real chance that 2nd line center is the 5th or 6th best player in the top-six in a year or two. He might not have to be a line driver, just a guy who helps fill in the gaps and compliments his wingers effectively.

I don't recall where the Dvorak talk originated, but he's lining up as their 2C right now it seems. Not sure they're looking to move on from him as it looks like maybe the Schmaltz at C experiment is on hold for now.

However, I think we're more than likely looking at a "buy low" sort of guy if Chytil, Andersson, or Howden don't seize the opportunity. That might very well be sometime next summer or beyond though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad