Speculation: Roster Building Thread VII (2019/2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
I just don't see Fast as irreplaceable.

Guys like Fast aren't flashy but they are harder to replace than you'd think. Could you replace him with a young forward who can replace his offense? Sure. Could you replace him with a guy who could replace his defense? Maybe. But he's got a solid package of skills that make him hard to replace as long as his salary stays manageable.

Reactions: bobbop

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
This is an interesting idea. Stepan for Strome and a third?
It’s a non starter with Arizona. The Coyotes are winning by playing a 1-4 alignment (see 1995-2003 NJ Devils) and the system is perfect for Stepan. It’s not very exciting hockey but it’s the most successful the team has been in a long time. Stepan is held in high regard by this organization.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
I think we are beginning to see the pieces that should be here long-term. You're probably looking at:

Panarin
Zibanejad
Andersson
Howden
Kakko
Trouba
Fox
ADA

On the fence:
Lemieux
Buchnevich
Skjei
Hajek

Goners:
Kreider
Fast
Strome
Smith
Staal

That's A LOT of dead weight in that last group
You are right...there is a lot of dead weight here.

But...ADA is squarely on the fence. Fast is no goner, I expect he will be resigned, perhaps in coming weeks. Every game, I am more and more confident about Hajak staying and being a long term asset.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Two biggest issues I have with Quinn right now.

1 - The D. The D. The D! Why aren't we playing a better system defensively? Why aren't we supporting the young D core as much as possible? The young D is supposed to be a strength of the organization. But if we fail these kids. And we don't teach them how to play a complete game and build their confidence at the NHL level, we will be destroying what should be a strength. The D needs more support from the forwards. A lot more. On top of that, I'd like them to pick their chances more. Right now there is too much free-wheeling. I get that we don't have a great offensive team right now. But rebuilds are done from the goalie and D out. There's no reason why we can't be playing 2-1 games. We should be a nightmare to get through in the neutral zone and D zone. Right now, we're just struggling to come back 3 on 3. The base of our game is not solid right now. For the same reason we have all these vets down in the AHL (to provide structure and the right environment). We are failing the kids at the NHL level by not creating a more stout, reliable D system.

2 - The usage of Howden vs Lias is absolutely mind-numbing. Yes, I get Howden is a better skater and is slightly bigger. But Lias has a faster mind and faster stick. And he's way better along the boards. He's a better passer, better receiver, better IQ. And his stick is way faster and more active than Howden. I'm not saying Lias should be thrust into the 2C position. But he absolutely should be the 3C at this moment. Strome likely isn't going to be here past this season. We need to be giving Lias more opportunity - even if he's not as ready for it as we think.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Feel like it's gotten to the point that the only way Andersson will get moved up the lineup is if their are multiple injuries at center.

It's weird because if it is an offensive thing, it's not like any of the combos on the 2nd or 3rd line are producing for the team.

If it is a defensive thing, the coaching staff is blind.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Hajek is fine. I see his ceiling as Hjalmarsson with even more limited offensive skills (if possible). That's fine with me. We never did replace Michael Sauer and Hajek's game reminds me of Sauer's a bit.

What pisses me off is essentially choosing Hajek and Howden over Sergachev. Gorton really got abused in that trade. It was rushed and we didn't get maximal value. We chose quantity over quality.
Sergachev was never available to the Rangers

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Two biggest issues I have with Quinn right now.

1 - The D. The D. The D! Why aren't we playing a better system defensively? Why aren't we supporting the young D core as much as possible? The young D is supposed to be a strength of the organization. But if we fail these kids, we will be destroying what should be a strength. The D needs more support from the forwards. A lot more. On top of that, I'd like them to pick their chances more. Right now there is too much free-wheeling. I get that we don't have a great offensive team right now. But rebuilds are done from the goalie and D out. There's no reason why we can't be playing 2-1 games. We should be a nightmare to get through in the neutral zone and D zone. Right now, we're just struggling to come back 3 on 3. The base of our game is not solid right now. For the same reason we have all these vets down in the AHL (to provide structure and the right environment). We are failing the kids at the NHL level by not creating a more stout, reliable D system.

2 - The usage of Howden vs Lias is absolutely mind-numbing. Yes, I get Howden is a better skater and is slightly bigger. But Lias has a faster mind and faster stick. And he's way better along the boards. He's a better passer, better receiver, better IQ. And his stick is way faster and more active than Howden. I'm not saying Lias should be thrust into the 2C position. But he absolutely should be the 3C at this moment. Strome likely isn't going to be here past this season. We need to be giving Lias more opportunity - even if he's not as ready for it as we think.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Fair enough. But then ask yourself this, if you're in the Lightning's shoes, are you really going to give up Sergachev? You know the Rangers have to deal McDonagh at that deadline other wise his value takes another hit. I can understand wanting to push for different prospects at the time such as Foote/Raddysh/etc. I just don't think Sergachev was ever going to be moved. Teams rarely trade those kind of prospects unless it is in a 1 for 1 deal.

Sure. We just saw the Knights trade their prized defensive prospect in Erik Brannstrom for Mark Stone. At the very least I could envision something like McDonagh for Sergachev. A top-pair guy for a stud young prospect? I think that's totally fair given that the Lightning were going for it all. Even McDonagh + Miller for Sergachev is a fairer deal than what New York actually got. It never seemed like Hajek nor Howden were considered top prospects with the Lightning and if you're going to trade for a top-pair defenseman and a top-6 F, you expect to be giving a top prospect.

I remember it was reported afterwards that Hajek was a deal-breaker. Why a guy with limited offensive skills and average skating/mobility was a deal-breaker is beyond me. Hajek's a fine player, but he's never going to be a top-pair guy. And in regard to Howden, Howden is a limited offensive player as well, but what also confused me at the time were the comparisons between Howden and Lias. People were saying that it seemed redundant to have two guys who "max out" as middle-6 Centers.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'm not all that surprised by Fast on the top-line. That opposite wing to Panarin and Zibanejad should be someone who can get in on the forecheck, dig out pucks and play a complete game. Buchnevich didn't work because they all needed the puck.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
You are right...there is a lot of dead weight here.

But...ADA is squarely on the fence. Fast is no goner, I expect he will be resigned, perhaps in coming weeks. Every game, I am more and more confident about Hajak staying and being a long term asset.
The only way i take Fast back is if his contact is under 1.5 He is a 4th liner that can play 3rd line once and awhile.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I'm not all that surprised by Fast on the top-line. That opposite wing to Panarin and Zibanejad should be someone who can get in on the forecheck, dig out pucks and play a complete game. Buchnevich didn't work because they all needed the puck.
Fast on the 1st line is worse than Smith on the 2nd line as far as i'm concerned.

I just don't see Fast as irreplaceable.

Really? He is a dime a dozen player. Plays ok defense with 4th line production.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Fast will be back, probably at 2-2.5 million per for 2/3 years

I don’t necessarily agree but I don’t see them letting him walk

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Sergachev was never available to the Rangers

See, this is where I grow concerned (and a little annoyed).

There's plenty of factual, real world stuff to be unhappy about. But we have to stop making up our own scenarios in our head, taking them as fact, and then lamenting them.

Sergachev was never available, nor were some of the other hypothetical deals that we sometimes fixate on.

That Tampa deal especially feels like we just randomly insert the names of players we really like into a scenario in which they were never on the table.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Long term, I don't think Buchnevich, DeAngelo, and Skjei have spots on the team moving forward. 2nd line center is a huge hole on this team. They're the bait to go out and get that center, but who's available?

It's not looking like Howden, Andersson, or Chytil are going to be the answer there long term.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Fast will be back, probably at 2-2.5 million per for 2/3 years

I don’t necessarily agree but I don’t see them letting him walk

if Fast wants that, he should have been traded at the draft. i would not offer more than what he makes now, especially on a multiyear deal, watch I bet some fans actually want Fast to be named captain

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I think we are all forgetting the expansion draft as well..

I mean we are pretty much guaranteed to lose either Lemieux or DeAngelo right?

Neither Shestorksin or Georgieov can be claimed correct?

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Re : Kreider scoring slum . I'll say it again...if he is not scoring then he should be hitting and if he does not get the message then he should be sitting .This is a young impressionable club and by sending the kids the wrong message we are only shooting ourselves in the foot . This team needs a LEADER on the ice really bad right now . It has been lacking for much too long . If they do that he will get the message loud and clear . Playing passive does not work for him or the Rangers . Just a wasted shift most every time he is on the ice . Just watching him play makes my blood boil .:mad:

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

mulli25

Jun 25, 2008
NJ
I think we are all forgetting the expansion draft as well..

I mean we are pretty much guaranteed to lose either Lemieux or DeAngelo right?

Neither Shestorksin or Georgieov can be claimed correct?

I thought the plan was to cross our fingers and hope we lose Brady Skjei

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
See, this is where I grow concerned (and a little annoyed).

There's plenty of factual, real world stuff to be unhappy about. But we have to stop making up our own scenarios in our head, taking them as fact, and then lamenting them.

Sergachev was never available, nor were some of the other hypothetical deals that we sometimes fixate on.

That Tampa deal especially feels like we just randomly insert the names of players we really like into a scenario in which they were never on the table.

Yeah but Brayden Point was coming back so I think the deal that occurred was bad. Gorton sucks

Reactions: Edge

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Fast on the 1st line is worse than Smith on the 2nd line as far as i'm concerned.

Really? He is a dime a dozen player. Plays ok defense with 4th line production.
How is it any different than playing Tikkanen or Sundstrom with Gretzky? Sometimes a lunchpail guy on a skill line works fine, and Fast doesn't slow any line down, has ok hands as we were reminded last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad