Speculation: Roster Building Thread VI (2021 Offseason) - Nobody fickles, under Coach “lookalike to Don Rickles”!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
If Jake McCabe is healthy in free agency, I want him more than trading anything for McNabb. Could get him for a season on the cheap and he can be in that 4-6 role on defense playing PK and ES minutes. He did well, even in Buffalo, all things being considered.

I just can't see them spending assets on getting a LHD when their system has them in spades. Find a stop gap that can play on the 2nd or 3rd pairing. There are guys out there that can do that. McCabe is one of them.

I've also seen a lot of people penciling in Jones or Robertson with a spot already. Jones barely played in games, and yeah he looked solid, but he could use some AHL time. Let him develop his game. Run a power play in a professional league. Robertson has not played a pro game as well, he'll need time. I'd rather have a vet signed and someone like Reunanen filter in and out of the lineup as the 3rd LD on the team.

People will point to Miller being on the roster last year, but if there was a legit AHL season, I would not have been surprised if he got time in Hartford because he was struggling for a while. We don't need to rush any of these players. Let them bubble up and find a good vet with the cap space we have to fill a role on the team this upcoming season.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Hieskanen is not as small as you think and Klingberg’s around 6’3.

I don't think Heiskanen is small, they are a different breed than the big physical specimens people talk about as the role model. H & K are primarily mobile puck movers rather than brutal crease clears, shot blockers and people who use strength to keep forwards pegged to the boards behind the goal line. Klingberg's tall but he's built like a whippet, he's hardly a 220 lb behemoth.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Just food for thought for our ITK's like @Edge and @BBKers etc... any chance that Buch would take a pretty friendly hometown discount? I don't think I've seen anyone love being a Ranger more than he has in recent time. I feel like he'd be willing to take a shorter term and home town discount to keep money free and this core together for now.

To this point any chatter seems to have called into question a movement clause rather than the dollars.

I think everyone is more or less in agreement that you're probably looking at between $6-$6.5 million annually. The term, considering he's 26, doesn't appear to be a major concern. The unknown is what kind of protection he wants.

He's a year out from being an UFA. There's a belief that he's willing to sign an extension before that, but he probably doesn't to find himself in a situation where he's moved a year or two down the line.

So does that look like a 10 team list? A 16 team list? A full NMC? A limited NMC? That aspect hasn't made the rounds recently. But that could very well be the biggest factor in any talks.

Number 9

What rhymes with Gagne?
Oct 14, 2008
Park City, UT
would be cool to get coleman and goodrow... sign smith 1mil be done. lots of other options would be good this one is just wishful thinking.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
To this point any chatter seems to have called into question a movement clause rather than the dollars.

I think everyone is more or less in agreement that you're probably looking at between $6-$6.5 million annually. The term, considering he's 26, doesn't appear to be a major concern. The unknown is what kind of protection he wants.

He's a year out from being an UFA. There's a belief that he's willing to sign an extension before that, but he probably doesn't to find himself in a situation where he's moved a year or two down the line.

So does that look like a 10 team list? A 16 team list? A full NMC? A limited NMC? That aspect hasn't made the rounds recently. But that could very well be the biggest factor in any talks.

This makes me think a deal will be reached. What's the point in demanding a no movement clause of such severity it that ends up getting you moved in the first place, maybe to a place you don't want to go to... I'm sure a solution can be reached that makes sense for both parties.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I don't think Heiskanen is small, they are a different breed than the big physical specimens people talk about as the role model. H & K are primarily mobile puck movers rather than brutal crease clears, shot blockers and people who use strength to keep forwards pegged to the boards behind the goal line. Klingberg's tall but he's built like a whippet, he's hardly a 220 lb behemoth.

I’ve seen Klingberg get pretty nasty. He ain’t no pushover.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I’ve seen Klingberg get pretty nasty. He ain’t no pushover.

Yeah and Fox can't get nasty and is a pushover? We are talking about types here, the narrative is that you need four big bruisers at the back. I didn't say Heiskanen and Klingberg are small or pushovers, you brought that into this.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Yeah and Fox can't get nasty and is a pushover? We are talking about types here, the narrative is that you need four big bruisers at the back. I didn't say Heiskanen and Klingberg are small or pushovers, you brought that into this.

Last year’s playoffs Klingberg was throwing his weight around a lot.

Fox is not much of a physical player. He’s adept at positioning and at avoiding hits. There’s a bit of Nicklas Lidstrom in him. An extremely cerebral player.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Would there be interest in OEL at 50% off? Phoenix needs to move cap and needs young assets, especially with losing their 1st this year.

OEL 50% (4.25 for 6 more years, age 30-36) + Dvorak for 15th overall + Chytil

Miller + Kravstov for Larkin (UFA in 2 years)

Gauthier for Dunn

Strome for 2nd+ (Calgary, Minny, etc.)

Sign Coleman

Laf Zib Buch
Panarin Larkin Coleman
Kreider Dvorak Kakko
Barron Rooney Blackwell

Lindgren Fox
Dunn Trouba
OEL Lundkvist

That team can compete for a cup

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
This makes me think a deal will be reached. What's the point in demanding a no movement clause of such severity it that ends up getting you moved in the first place, maybe to a place you don't want to go to... I'm sure a solution can be reached that makes sense for both parties.

It'll be interesting to see how the Rangers approach things. He remains a candidate to be moved at this point.

The prevailing sentiment around the league is that he's on the short list of valuable assets they're interested in using to change things up a little. But we'll see what happens.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
It'll be interesting to see how the Rangers approach things. He remains a candidate to be moved at this point.

The prevailing sentiment around the league is that he's on the short list of valuable assets they're interested in using to change things up a little. But we'll see what happens.

Indeed. A fair few team have hoisted the open for business flag. Florida, Kings, Calgary, Vancouver etc have all said they want to be "aggressive" upgrading or changing things up. No doubt Buch is an attractive target for such teams.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
We're gonna sign Zac Rinaldo this summer and I'm going to hate the shit out of it.

Haha, I doubt it, but funny thing is, I’ve always thought he and Tootoo back in the day was underrated. Does guy could get in really fast on the forecheck.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
If Jake McCabe is healthy in free agency, I want him more than trading anything for McNabb. Could get him for a season on the cheap and he can be in that 4-6 role on defense playing PK and ES minutes. He did well, even in Buffalo, all things being considered.

I just can't see them spending assets on getting a LHD when their system has them in spades. Find a stop gap that can play on the 2nd or 3rd pairing. There are guys out there that can do that. McCabe is one of them.

I've also seen a lot of people penciling in Jones or Robertson with a spot already. Jones barely played in games, and yeah he looked solid, but he could use some AHL time. Let him develop his game. Run a power play in a professional league. Robertson has not played a pro game as well, he'll need time. I'd rather have a vet signed and someone like Reunanen filter in and out of the lineup as the 3rd LD on the team.

People will point to Miller being on the roster last year, but if there was a legit AHL season, I would not have been surprised if he got time in Hartford because he was struggling for a while. We don't need to rush any of these players. Let them bubble up and find a good vet with the cap space we have to fill a role on the team this upcoming season.
I agree. McCabe is good and if healthy is a much better option than McNabb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad