Speculation: Roster Building Thread VI (2021 Offseason) - Nobody fickles, under Coach “lookalike to Don Rickles”!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Beef up the bottom-six with guys Gallant wants, try and grab a Cizikas and Goodrow/Martinook. Go from there. I really like their top-6 with Kakko and third line of Kreider-Chytil-Kravtsov, but I seriously doubt Drury doesn't make one move that surprises us.

Reactions: egelband

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
If we - which is basically highly expected - bring in 3 guys like Reaves, Goodrow and MacDermid for lower line/depth duty, we are still very likely with the new managements approach going to need 1-2 more sandpaper pieces further up on the food chain. This is where it IMO gets interesting

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
If we - which is basically highly expected - bring in 3 guys like Reaves, Goodrow and McDermid for lower line/depth duty, we are still very likely with the new managements approach going to need 1-2 more sandpaper pieces further up on the food chain. This is where it gets interesting

This is where a "hockey" trade for Buchnevich would be good or even a more physical center than Strome. I'm just not sure whats out there for those kinds of trades

Reactions: bobbop

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Kassian is...fine? I guess?

Like, he's not Glass or Howden but he's firmly a 4th liner without McDavid scoring off his face. I don't see what he adds.

Same goes for Reaves. My reaction to adding Reaves would literally be opening the thread, blinking, and closing the thread.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I feel like Buchnevich is himself physical tho?
The dude tried to literally decapitate Mantha, and people still talk about him like he’s a shrinking violet.

I’d rather just re-sign Buch, move on from Strome, and find an intermediate 2c/3C to be a placeholder. I’d want to roll with these wing pairs for the time being:

Laf-Buch
Panarin-Kakko
Kreider-Kravtsov

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
4th liners are in this weird spot.

Like, all three of them should be NHL players and I'll stress to no end that having no black holes is the one thing winners mostly have in common.

At the same time, you also really shouldn't spend money on them and going for "good 4th liners" is almost always bad value.

That sounds hard to balance but there are constantly random players available who fit that. Kevin Rooney. Colin Blackwell.

Because the thing is, there's no such thing as a "good 4th liner." A good 4th liner is a 3rd liner. And if he's not, then Nobody Jones can replace him for $725k.

And before somebody brings up Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck, they're closer to a 2nd line than a 4th line. Trotz absolutely adores them and they're all way more talented than 4th liners. Cizikas has 20 goals multiple times.

Don't play Brett Howden, don't pay for reputations, and put NHL replacement-level players on a line together for $2.5m total. It's the easiest thing in the world.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
too much to hope that Chris Kreider plays hard and with an edge for ughhhhh, say, 80-85% of the games.. Anyone?Hello, anyone? No..?*aimlessly walks off into the distance*

Hopefully Gallant can get him to do this, same with Miller

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
The dude tried to literally decapitate Mantha, and people still talk about him like he’s a shrinking violet.

I’d rather just re-sign Buch, move on from Strome, and find an intermediate 2c/3C to be a placeholder. I’d want to roll with these wing pairs for the time being:

Laf-Buch
Panarin-Kakko
Kreider-Kravtsov

I just dont know if we can afford to keep him

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Reaves would be a game changer if for no other reason, the swagger he plays with is infectious and needed for this group. He’s also a good 4th liner

I only mentioned him other than Kassian because he's much cheaper, I think he is like 1.5M compared to 3.2M, but there are other guys too, the key is to just not overpay them like Machinehead said

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad