Speculation: Roster Building Thread VI (2021 Offseason) - Nobody fickles, under Coach “lookalike to Don Rickles”!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
It’s probably not ridiculous to Buchnevich and it’s in the CBA. He and his agent no doubt are going to try to negotiate the best possible contract. It’s what every player is trying to do. As far as the players union why would they agree to draw a line on who qualifies for movement clauses and who doesn’t?
Worst thing about negotiating hard all night is waking up in Edmonton

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Im not talking about from the players perspective. Great i agree buch and his camp should look to get the best possible deal but in the eyes of a gm and giving out special contracts, they should only be given out to special players.

My example is Chris Krieder. I already HATE that deal bc of his no trade clause! Why the F would you give a player that isnt special that type of clause. The chris krieder deal is why we will be losing buchnevich for a couple of lesser pieces like a solid dman and a possible 3rd line center. If Krieder didnt have that clause, he would be the one being moved and the younger better player in buchnevich would be stayin.

I get it—in retrospect the Kreider deal doesn’t look very good. Apart from a hot streak here and there he had a shit season. Buch was really good for us this year. His 5v5 play was excellent and he became a top notch pk’er for us. Looking at the two now I’d much rather we’d lock up Buch. Instead there’s a good chance we’ll have to move him.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
I get it—in retrospect the Kreider deal doesn’t look very good. Apart from a hot streak here and there he had a shit season. Buch was really good for us this year. His 5v5 play was excellent and he became a top notch pk’er for us. Looking at the two now I’d much rather we’d lock up Buch. Instead there’s a good chance we’ll have to move him.

The Krieder deal was never going to be good. I was against resigning him from the beginning. After watching several years of him its just a known fact now that he will never become the dominant player we wish he could be. All the tools, no tool box or consistency. Who he is and always will be is a streaky player who shows up for 15 games a season and is non existent the rest. You dont give players like that 6 years at 6.5 m per. Yet alone a FULL NTC.

People compare him to the anders lee deal. Id rather have anders lee he is consistent, a fricken captain, a leader, a 200 ft player, constantly in youre face, tough to play against. Krieder is none of these.

anyway, sorry for my rant. just disgusted that we have to trade buchnevich bc of the lack of vision and inability of our management to see what we see night in and night out of that scrub krieder who will only get worse as he and his contract age

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Perhaps. Depends on a lot of things. Buchnevich is a pending UFA next summer too.
If he signs a 1 year deal, sure. But, that is an assumption, and a lofty one at that imo. Ekholm is undeniably a UFA, and isn't at the age where signing him for more years is necessarily an attractive option (which is the contrary with the former).

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The Krieder deal was never going to be good. I was against resigning him from the beginning. After watching several years of him its just a known fact now that he will never become the dominant player we wish he could be. All the tools, no tool box or consistency. Who he is and always will be is a streaky player who shows up for 15 games a season and is non existent the rest. You dont give players like that 6 years at 6.5 m per. Yet alone a FULL NTC.

People compare him to the anders lee deal. Id rather have anders lee he is consistent, a fricken captain, a leader, a 200 ft player, constantly in youre face, tough to play against. Krieder is none of these.

anyway, sorry for my rant. just disgusted that we have to trade buchnevich bc of the lack of vision and inability of our management to see what we see night in and night out of that scrub krieder who will only get worse as he and his contract age

I think this needs to be seen in context. Kreider only did what others would have done. At the time even he was seen as taking a little less than his actual worth and his deal was signed before covid really hit and turned everything upside down and from that comes the three maybe more years of a flat cap ceiling.

That said right now it doesn’t look like a good deal for us. I would like to find a way to move him but that looks difficult. Most likely he’s with us for a while and if that’s the case hopefully he rebounds with the new coaching staff. I don’t find it useful to rip him to pieces and all in all he’s had a pretty good career. Anger towards him personally is misplaced. Rangers management offered him a deal and he signed it and without covid we might have as much as $5 mil more to work with.

Reactions: haveandare

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
There would have to be a significant plus for me to move Buch for Ekholm
I wouldn’t waste a good trade asset like Buch for 1 year of Ekholm. Trade Buch somewhere for a 1st and sign Dimitri Kulikov to a 1 year 1.5-2 mill deal.
He would be fantastic in a 3rd pair role with a guy like Lundkvist. He’s cheap and solid. Had a great year with the devils before he was dealt.
You only trade Buch for Ekholm if you want Ekholm here for 2-3 years which we don’t. We just need a solid stop gap vet for a year and re-evaluate our LD guys. See if Robertson I’d Jones is ready to rock in the NHL full time. Maybe after a year Lundkvist plays so well he moves to the left and bumps Miller down. We need roster spots open so kids can grab them
You can’t have these positions tied up with older vets if you want the kids to come in and get playing time and experience. If they show they aren’t ready, that’s when you go out and get the older vets.
The D at the start of next season could very well look like
Lindgren-Fox
Lundkvist- Trouba
Miller-Schneider

With Jones/Robertson knocking on the door or used in a trade.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think this needs to be seen in context. Kreider only did what others would have done. At the time even he was seen as taking a little less than his actual worth and his deal was signed before covid really hit and turned everything upside down and from that comes the three maybe more years of a flat cap ceiling.

That said right now it doesn’t look like a good deal for us. I would like to find a way to move him but that looks difficult. Most likely he’s with us for a while and if that’s the case hopefully he rebounds with the new coaching staff. I don’t find it useful to rip him to pieces and all in all he’s had a pretty good career. Anger towards him personally is misplaced. Rangers management offered him a deal and he signed it and without covid we might have as much as $5 mil more to work with.

Someone made a good point, I was calling out Kreider, but how will he react to not being coached by AV or DQ?

Reactions: deathb4disco

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
BTW, I just dont know what to make of the fact that Chris Kreider is NOT seen as a bigger favorite to be given the C than he is. Not saying that there is some skeleton in the closet, but there does seem to be something there that isn’t optimal at least that we aren’t privy to.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Worst thing about negotiating hard all night is waking up in Edmonton

For one year playing next to Connor or Leon?

A winger like Buchnevich? He and his agent would have immediate wood at the thought.

They head into 2022 summer coming off a monster season looking to cash in at better than 7 per easy.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
BTW, I just dont know what to make of the fact that Chris Kreider is NOT seen as a bigger favorite to be given the C than he is. Not saying that there is some skeleton in the closet, but there does seem to be something there that isn’t optimal at least that we aren’t privy to.

I think if that would've been a thing that it would've happened already.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Someone made a good point, I was calling out Kreider, but how will he react to not being coached by AV or DQ?

That remains to be seen. Really he goes how his physical game goes and that tends to be inconsistent. Gallant will want him to be more consistent for sure. Like Gauthier he’s big and strong but not really a tough guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad