Speculation: Roster Building Thread VI (2021 Offseason) - Nobody fickles, under Coach “lookalike to Don Rickles”!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Would there be interest in OEL at 50% off? Phoenix needs to move cap and needs young assets, especially with losing their 1st this year.

OEL 50% (4.25 for 6 more years, age 30-36) + Dvorak for 15th overall + Chytil

Miller + Kravstov for Larkin (UFA in 2 years)

Gauthier for Dunn

Strome for 2nd+ (Calgary, Minny, etc.)

Sign Coleman

Laf Zib Buch
Panarin Larkin Coleman
Kreider Dvorak Kakko
Barron Rooney Blackwell

Lindgren Fox
Dunn Trouba
OEL Lundkvist

That team can compete for a cup
No.

Right now, OEL is a 3-4 defenseman with over $50MM still due on his contract. That’s an impossible gamble on a bounce back.

Let someone else roll the dice.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Would there be interest in OEL at 50% off? Phoenix needs to move cap and needs young assets, especially with losing their 1st this year.

OEL 50% (4.25 for 6 more years, age 30-36) + Dvorak for 15th overall + Chytil

Miller + Kravstov for Larkin (UFA in 2 years)

Gauthier for Dunn

Strome for 2nd+ (Calgary, Minny, etc.)

Sign Coleman

Laf Zib Buch
Panarin Larkin Coleman
Kreider Dvorak Kakko
Barron Rooney Blackwell

Lindgren Fox
Dunn Trouba
OEL Lundkvist

That team can compete for a cup

At 50%? Without any single doubt.

But remember, just retaining like 4m per year is basically worth a 2nd rounder alone. That is a value equal to six 2nd rounders, not to mention the player.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I see a path to a possible Buchnevich-Ekholm trade with other pieces added. Nashville has a few other pieces I like.

This had been what I've been saying. Buch for Ekholm +. I'd be happy with that and then signing a couple bottom 6 players like Janmark, Coleman, Nosek, Goodrow etc.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
So Kakko improved his game year over year by leaps and bounds and is poised for a breakout 3rd year. Looking forward to Gallant getting all of the credit for developing him.

What you saying, should Quinn get the credit for a 2nd overall pick breaking out D+3? ;)

To be honest, I am more looking forward to seeing how guys like Howden, Miller and the likes responds to Gallant embracing a very high battle level and encouraging emotions.

Last edited:

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Some of the ideas here can be baffling. A washed up OEL? Why would the Rangers want him? Lmao.

We'd be much better off looking for bargain deals like a McCabe or a Jon Merrill type.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Some of the ideas here can be baffling. A washed up OEL? Why would the Rangers want him? Lmao.

We'd be much better off looking for bargain deals like a McCabe or a Jon Merrill type.

He isn’t washed up, that is nonsense. Didn’t have his best season, but come on. People were saying that McD was washed up 5 years ago, now he is playing better than ever before.

At 8.5m it’s of course not even remotely an option. If they retained 50%? Sure, but can’t see that happening.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I see a path to a possible Buchnevich-Ekholm trade with other pieces added. Nashville has a few other pieces I like.
I'm most definitely down with either one of the -holms.

Issue is re-signing. How much would Lindholm or Ekholm want? Would they sign short term deals? IF/when we trade Buch I'd prefer to get a piece that has some form of future with the team. It doesn't have to be long-term but at least a few years.

Also bring back a name from last couple off-seasons... If EDM can't sign Nurse, he'd be real real nice.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I might be waaay off but I think Martinez is going to be too expensive. I'd love to have him to slot in next to Lundkvist but he had a 32 pt season, was good in the playoffs and probably looking for his final paycheck, and personally I'm not sure I want a 33 year old blocking some of the kids 4-5 years from now. If I'm wrong and he'd be happy with a 2 year sligjt overpayment deal I'd be all for that. I think a trade is more likely with the amount of prospects/picks we have, esp for someone like McNabb. That or it'll be a lesser FA like Jon Merril (tho I'm sure the playoffs raised his price as well), Ryan Murray or maybe even someone like Jake McCabe.

we’ve actually got some money to burn the next 2 years. I’d have no problem giving him a fair market deal

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I would love for this but long term how would contracts work out?

No matter how good they are, good defensemen playing on the third pairing are never gonna make as much as the top two or top four.

So depending on who ends up with the smallest role out of that group, is gonna get short changed even if they would be a second pairing guy on a lesser team

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
To this point any chatter seems to have called into question a movement clause rather than the dollars.

I think everyone is more or less in agreement that you're probably looking at between $6-$6.5 million annually. The term, considering he's 26, doesn't appear to be a major concern. The unknown is what kind of protection he wants.

He's a year out from being an UFA. There's a belief that he's willing to sign an extension before that, but he probably doesn't to find himself in a situation where he's moved a year or two down the line.

So does that look like a 10 team list? A 16 team list? A full NMC? A limited NMC? That aspect hasn't made the rounds recently. But that could very well be the biggest factor in any talks.

And this is what i hate about all these NMC NTC Full NTC clause blah blah. These trade clauses shouldnt be given out to players unless they are guys like Panarin, Mcdavid, Drais, and so on. This is getting ridiculous that players of Buchnevichs ilk are thinking they should be getting things like that. I hate giving them out to regular players.. See Krieder contract

Reactions: Riche16

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
I would do a Strome for Ekholm swap

not Buch though

Was thinking same thing. Straight up. No to Buch.

Why would they want Strome? lmao. They're paying 2 different C's 8M.

I wouldn't trade Buch for Ekholm either though.

Duchene was playing wing at end of season. He was having a rough year. They may look for some depth and a bit more stability at C.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Buch for Ekholm doesn’t seem like the wisest long term investment for us.

I don’t mind trying to get some win now pieces but don’t love spending one of our most prime assets that could be used to get a future top 6 center.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
And this is what i hate about all these NMC NTC Full NTC clause blah blah. These trade clauses shouldnt be given out to players unless they are guys like Panarin, Mcdavid, Drais, and so on. This is getting ridiculous that players of Buchnevichs ilk are thinking they should be getting things like that. I hate giving them out to regular players.. See Krieder contract

It’s probably not ridiculous to Buchnevich and it’s in the CBA. He and his agent no doubt are going to try to negotiate the best possible contract. It’s what every player is trying to do. As far as the players union why would they agree to draw a line on who qualifies for movement clauses and who doesn’t?

Reactions: pld459666

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
It’s probably not ridiculous to Buchnevich and it’s in the CBA. He and his agent no doubt are going to try to negotiate the best possible contract. It’s what every player is trying to do. As far as the players union why would they agree to draw a line on who qualifies for movement clauses and who doesn’t?

Im not talking about from the players perspective. Great i agree buch and his camp should look to get the best possible deal but in the eyes of a gm and giving out special contracts, they should only be given out to special players.

My example is Chris Krieder. I already HATE that deal bc of his no trade clause! Why the F would you give a player that isnt special that type of clause. The chris krieder deal is why we will be losing buchnevich for a couple of lesser pieces like a solid dman and a possible 3rd line center. If Krieder didnt have that clause, he would be the one being moved and the younger better player in buchnevich would be stayin.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Buch for Ekholm doesn’t seem like the wisest long term investment for us.

I don’t mind trying to get some win now pieces but don’t love spending one of our most prime assets that could be used to get a future top 6 center.

Agree!

Hopefully strome can be moved for that defensman and buchnevich is moved for the center and physically depth forword

Reactions: mas0764
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad