Speculation: Roster Building Thread VI (2021 Offseason) - Nobody fickles, under Coach “lookalike to Don Rickles”!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Could we move Buch (if not signed) for a NHL defenseman who is around the same age and a 3rd line forward and a pick or something? think the Gaborik trade, something like that.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Let's find a 28 year old, 3.8M (4.8% of 81.5m) cap hit defender who they can trade for.

Mcnabb is even cheaper than that, but he's only signed for 1 year.. 2.5M just turned 30... Hope after a year in the AHL Jones or Robertson (ideally him because of size) is ready to take over.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Ryan Graves is also signed for 3.1M (talk Avs could lose him in expansion) for the next 2 years.

Carso Soucy is another defenseman signed for 2.6M for the next 2 years, I dont watch much of Minnesota tho how is he?

Last edited:

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Funny all the chatter about Martinez today. Guess no one watched the GWG last night. Might be cooked.
That giveaway was one of the worst I've ever seen. I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole, for multiple reasons. I still haven't forgotten about 2014.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Development around here means "play the kids in an immediate first line/first pair role no matter what"

Haha I know it is insane and completely unrealistic.

Im sure Gallant will be an issue 12 months from now in Kakko thumper's eyes if he has another mediocre year

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Gavrikov would likely cost next to nothing since he's coming off a poor season for the Blue Jackets

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Development around here means "play the kids in an immediate first line/first pair role no matter what"
Who is/was saying that? These arguments you guys make only work when you go ad absurdum like this. No one, or very few people, were asking for this.

The team rode the first PP unit to death last year. How about a bit more equitable allocation of PP time? Is it possible that time and space on the PP might translate into more confidence and better play at ES?

While we’re at it, how about slightly more equitable ES ice time? Kakko didn’t earn first line minutes, but there were stretches where he and Laf were getting less than ten minutes a game while the top line was over twenty.

Then we can address the “let them play their game” thing. There is an ocean of nuance between “let them play however they want” and “don’t over coach to the point where they are terrified of making little mistakes and unable to rely on the instincts that made them top 2 picks”.

But keep pushing every argument to the extreme so that you can be right. It’s a good look.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Sign a vet LD who can play 4-6 but really solidify that third pairing, it keeps being understated how bad our third D pairing was all year. There is no need to trade for a lefty D and give up assets. Sign the lefty veteran D that will age out when Jones or Robertson, or whomever are ready takeover. Be it Nemeth, Martinez or whomever else with experience who is a clear upgrade over Hajek, and Smith.

Sing some players that can form a real 4th line, its been lacking for years now. Its not a spot to bring up young offensive players, and its not a place for AAA vets etiher. Goodrow would be a solid add, Nosek as well.

Don't be stupid and trade Buch, he's so underrated by the fanbase in the name of grit? Add grit on D, add grit on the bottom line, see what Galant can do with the high-end talent we do have. Did Tampa ship out any key offensive players to add grit? I don't think so.

Reactions: skipmowerman

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
It's kind of frightening how easily triggered and delicate you guys are.
It's frightening how much copium was ingested

David Quinn developed our forwards... They're set for breakouts
zENpsxG.jpg

Reactions: TheBloodyNine

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
McNabb would be the type of player the Rangers could trade for and extend for 1-2 years more than likely with the flat cap environment they are in.

McNabb has also been partnered with Theodore the last few seasons, no? Is there something to be said for him knowing how to deploy with a young, offensive minded partner?

Number 9

What rhymes with Gagne?
Oct 14, 2008
Park City, UT
is nugent hopkins a ufa possibility? I've have wanted this guy for awhile now. Might just be a pipe dream I haven't seen his name around here recently.

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
McNabb is absolutely the type of player we should be targeting. He can play up and down the lineup and would be a good compliment to any of our righties. Can be had on the cheap and we can control what type of commitment we want to make with him one year shy of UFA.

Lindgren Fox
McNabb Trouba
Miller Lundkvist
Smith/Bitetto

That's actually a pretty decent group that has both physicality and skill on each pair. Can even mix and match those pairs.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
That's a good start. People are making a big deal out of four big guys at the back, but the Habs for example struggle with creativity on the PP. Dallas made the finals last year with Heiskanen and Klingberg playing with big guys Oleksiak and Lindell. Their D was fine but with Seguin and Hintz playing injured/not playing, and with Benn and Radulov on the decline they were lacking the offense to mount a real challenge against Tampa.

Hieskanen is not as small as you think and Klingberg’s around 6’3.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I know people want to talk about the lack of chances Kakko got at times, but I would say the bigger issue IMO was Chytil who at one point was out performing every center we had for the first 20 something games of the season and he was rarely tried with top talent that we have.

Chytil was injured the 5th game of the year in a collision with Evan Rodrigues after which he missed the next 14 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad