Speculation: Roster Building Thread VI (2021 Offseason) - Nobody fickles, under Coach “lookalike to Don Rickles”!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
“Leaps and Bounds”

What a f***ing stretch that is.

Kakko’s defensive game improved. His offense certainly did not ‘flourish’ here under Quinn. Those 3rd line minutes and minimal PP minutes really did WONDERS for him. Quinn is the best!!

FFS the Quinn Defenders just won’t hang it up and take the L.

ktf.gif

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
So, exceptional prospect who dominated all tournaments and against men... NHL ready

year 1 was the worst player in hockey.
year 2 was much better defensively but well below average production
but
year 3 'poise for breakout' and it's all because of Quinn...

Delusion.

It's kind of frightening how easily triggered and delicate you guys are.

Reactions: pld459666

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
So, exceptional prospect who dominated all tournaments and against men... NHL ready

but

Delusion.

I don't care who gets credit. Quinn, Gallant, Lucifer, Jesus....we will finally have semblance of a normal off-season, training camp, and pre-season. Barring a reversal in the Covid situation, there should no longer be any excuses on what is holding our young players back. Now we can finally assess them with a clear lense.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I don't care who gets credit. Quinn, Gallant, Lucifer, Jesus....we will finally have semblance of a normal off-season, training camp, and pre-season. Barring a reversal in the Covid situation, there should no longer be any excuses on what is holding our young players back. Now we can finally assess them with a clear lense.
I'd prefer it not be Lucifer.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
So Kakko improved his game year over year by leaps and bounds and is poised for a breakout 3rd year. Looking forward to Gallant getting all of the credit for developing him.

At least Gallant doesn't seem to have any bizarre hangups so we can hope for the best.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Big role? You mean 3rd pair next to Lundkvist/Schneider? As a solid mentor?

Martinez is by no means a pylon. It would be a short term deal. Please don’t just talk out of your ass.

Lets revisit this when Martinez signs a UFA deal and we'll see if it's a role player/mentor deal

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
This is the definition of spinning tires only to make the roster worse.

If we are going to make a big move its going to poach a player from Tampa to exploit their potential cap problem. Tampa can only pull so many rabbits before they have to make a move like Chicago and give up an important piece for cap room.

I've been hearing how teams are going to rip off Tampa for 3 years and every time they trade someone, they don't get ripped off. The players they have are valuable, there will be multiple teams interested which will create a marketplace environment. If we think we are getting Gourde for next to nothing, all it takes is for someone like Detroit to offer more and he's gone.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

but

Delusion.

Hard to not look at Quinn when Kakko himself openly states he wasn't allowed to play his own game and was afraid to make certain plays out of fear of being benched

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
This seems like a fantasy.

Buch played ~200 minutes with Lemieux in the 109 games he was here.

The myth of Brendan Lemieux is a weird one. At least we were actual contenders the last time we had effective, tough 4th liners. This guy was a shit player on shit non-playoff teams and people act like he accomplished things.
So you did not watch the matches. Or pay attention if you did.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I've been hearing how teams are going to rip off Tampa for 3 years and every time they trade someone, they don't get ripped off. The players they have are valuable, there will be multiple teams interested which will create a marketplace environment. If we think we are getting Gourde for next to nothing, all it takes is for someone like Detroit to offer more and he's gone.

you have to build from within and trade from a position of power/leverage. That’s all Tampa does. That’s how Yzerman was able to beat Gordon who ended up trading our Captain and Miller for some cr@p parts with hopefully that #1 salvaging the horrific trade while Tampa won a Cup.

I agree, the Rangers aren’t getting Gourde for nothing. He’a signed semi-long term. So long as the Rangers keep including a NTC with these contracts or run the contracts into the rental ground they will never have leverage.

If both Kreider and Buch were signed and didn’t have a NTC the Rangers could probably trade either, add in a solid prospect and trade for whatever they want. Instead, Kreider has a NTC and Buch is essentially a rental.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

but

Delusion.

well, i’m not sure it’s a fluke the team looked different when the coach was absent. The whole roster played better.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Hard to not look at Quinn when Kakko himself openly states he wasn't allowed to play his own game and was afraid to make certain plays out of fear of being benched
This again, Steven? What prospect "plays his own game"? Who allows them to free wheel and do whatever they want? You going to try to point to Stuetzele again? What prospect is allowed to play out side any coach's system? Can you name one?

Let us try this again. Kakko's game would have been wonderful......had he stayed in Liga for the rest of his career. At the NHL level, his Liga game was not even poor. That would do it justice. Do you think that Gallant's first words to Kakko will be "Can you please go back and play the game that made you such a hit in Liga? Don't mind the system that I want the rest the team to play. You just play what made you such a success in Finland. That will translate well."

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
This again, Steven? What prospect "plays his own game"? Who allows them to free wheel and do whatever they want? You going to try to point to Stuetzele again? What prospect is allowed to play out side any coach's system? Can you name one?

Let us try this again. Kakko's game would have been wonderful......had he stayed in Liga for the rest of his career. At the NHL level, his Liga game was not even poor. That would do it justice. Do you think that Gallant's first words to Kakko will be "Can you please go back and play the game that made you such a hit in Liga? Don't mind the system that I want the rest the team to play. You just play what made you such a success in Finland. That will translate well."

I'm just saying that people will look at the coach when players openly talk about them not being comfortable with that coach. Whether or not that's true, doesn't change that.

Under a new coach, these players now have a chance to show that they can hit their potential. Time will tell.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
Crazy thought for the day:

Trades:

Trade 1:
Zibanejad + Hajek + Gettinger to LV for Reaves + McNabb + Krebs + Fleury (@ $5m cap hit) + LV 1st '21

Trade 2:
Fleury (@$3m cap hit) + Reunanen to EDM for Khaira + EDM 2nd '22

Trade 3:
Buch + Howden to LA for Kupari + TOR 2nd '21 + STL 3rd '21

Trade 4:
Gauthier + LV 1st '21 + TOR 2nd '21 to DET for Larkin

Signings:
Nosek (UFA) - 3 years @ $1.5m
Khaira (RFA) - 3 years @ $1.35m
Shesty (RFA) - 6 years @ $4.5m

Line-up:

Panarin-Strome-Kravtsov
Lafreniere-Larkin-Kaako
Kreider-Chytil-Kupari
Khaira-Nosek-Reaves
Rooney
Blackwell

Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Trouba
McNabb-Lundqvist
Bitetto

Shesty
Georgiev

AHL call-ups:
Barron
Krebs
Schneider
Robertson
Jones

Trade 4.

Yzerman would hang up the phone, go to the airport, fly into LaGuardia and get an Uber to MSG to personally smack Drury in the teeth for offering that deal lol.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm just saying that people will look at the coach when players openly talk about them not being comfortable with that coach. Whether or not that's true, doesn't change that.

Under a new coach, these players now have a chance to show that they can hit their potential. Time will tell.
That is not what you said. You said that he was not allowed to play his game. No 18 year old is going to be allowed to play his game at the NHL level that made him a success in Europe. Liga is not the NHL. Kakko learned that fact the hard way when the puck was stripped away from him each and every time he played the game that made him comfortable.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
That is not what you said. You said that he was not allowed to play his game. No 18 year old is going to be allowed to play his game at the NHL level that made him a success in Europe. Liga is not the NHL. Kakko learned that fact the hard way when the puck was stripped away from him each and every time he played the game that made him comfortable.

No, those were Kakko's words, not mine

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Trade 4.

Yzerman would hang up the phone, go to the airport, fly into LaGuardia and get an Uber to MSG to personally smack Drury in the teeth for offering that deal lol.

So you're saying there's a chance?

Do people really think Larkin is that valuable? I was using the Mantha deal as a guideline. 23 points in 44 games last year, 53 in 71 the year prior.

Let's compare Zibanejad who had 50 points in 56 games this year and 75 points in 57 games last year. I am not sure their price should be the same nor do I think a team wanting to win sooner rather than later would prefer a guy like Larkin to Zibenajd right now. For the Rangers, it would make more sense to go Larkin just due to age and prospective next contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad