Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XXXVII

Trading Kreider plus small add for 7th-9th overall

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
We don't like to admit it around here, but Kreider always been a case of potential vs results. The team that buys on him hopefully thinks he will break out for them and pays the higher price. But any team that throws in a top 10 pick for him, IMO is asking for trouble. I would ideally like a Nash type package. A roster player, maybe a cap dump, a good but not great prospect and a 20-25 range 1st. Top 10s are just too hard to come by.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
A team like Colorado is who I could see also liking Kreider. 2 1sts's this year. Maybe pick 16 is in play. They need depth scoring and have a ton of cap space. Perhaps they try for Hayes as UFA and trade for Kreider to re-sign him. Immediate 2nd line.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Just did a quick count of the number 8,9,10 overall picks from 2010-2106 (7 draft years-21 players) ...7 very good impact players around 5 and decent players in 7 draft years. So I would say our percentage of drafting a very good impact player would be around 33 percent and decent player around 25 percent. Of course not a guarantee but decent odds of getting a good top 6 guy.
I think it would come down to whether Turcotte/Zegras are there between 8-10 and obviously would have to wait until the very last minute for that to be a certainty.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Keep him!

Let him help mentor all the kids.
You know whatever line he is on is going to produce.
Team has enough shiny new toys.
Rangers are in good shape from a Cap perspective. Pretty sure #20 wants to remain in NY. Work out a deal!
#20's speed add's another element to the Rangers no matter where he ends up in the lineup.

Currently the club with all the departures is pretty much a one-trick pony. As some of these kids get infused into the lineup #20 is a perfect guy to slide up and down to play alongside new developing players. Just don't see a reason to rush this player out for the chance of another prospect?

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Going to play fantasy off season here..

Chris Kreider + Lias Andersson + Jets 1st for PK Subban

Dump:
Jimmy Vesey and Neal Poink

Draft:
Kaapo Kakko

Free Agency:
Artemi Panarin 6/70m
Joe Thornton 1/6m

Forwards:
Panarin — Zibanejad — Kakko
Buchnevich — Thornton — Kravtsov
Chytil — Strome — Namestnikov
Lemieux — Howden — Fast

Defense:
P.K. Subban — Brady Skjei
Brendon Smith — Tony DeAngelo
Kevin Shattenkirk — Libor Hajek
Marc Staal

Goaltending:
Henrik Lundqvist
Igor Shestyorkin

One last run for Hanke to win a cup, also for that matter Thornton (although it’ll never happen irl)

one more kick at the can...what could possibly go wrong there

Reactions: Kupo and jas

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Man I can't picture Kreider dropping off into Lucic territory but I guess giving any 27/28 year old power forward a 6 or 7 year deal can cause that worry.
Yes, but he will continue to be an excellent net front presence and his play along the boards will still be solid.

His price may well be right around that $6.5/6. If that were to be structured with limited NTC/NMC, I would do it. Ultimately, I think that his value to the Rangers is higher than what he would bring back in a trade. With all that said, I do believe that Gorton has both several scenarios and a dollar range. If the scenario and dollar range fall into his range, then he is here. If Gorton is presented with a scenario in which Krieder needs to be sacrificed, then he is gone. If Krieder's dollars fall out of range with what Gorton has in mind, then he is gone.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Not going to lie, the injuries are a little bit of a concern for me. And while hurt, I was a bit surprised by just how much the production dropped off.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I wouldn't. Arizona was very close to making the playoffs this year. Getting Kreider could easily push them into a playoff spot. Getting 14 this year gets you closer to being able to move up into the top 10.
Honestly, if Krieder is to be traded, then I would look at a 2020 1st

Reactions: egelband

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I'd do it but I dont think he'd return that high of a pick.
Yeah maybe a poll of Kreider for 12-14th overall would bring a little more balance than this current poll. I would imagine then it would be closer to 50/50.
Kreider for Newhook or Boldy or Caufield would test Ranger fans decision making a bit more. I think we've become very big fans of Turcotte/Zegras on here and they are too appealing and make it "easier" to give up on a 27/28 year old player.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Not going to lie, the injuries are a little bit of a concern for me. And while hurt, I was a bit surprised by just how much the production dropped off.
Wasn't it a hamstring? I think overall (besides the Blood clot thing which was freaky) he's been pretty durable considering his style of play over the years.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Wasn't it a hamstring? I think overall (besides the Blood clot thing which was freaky) he's been pretty durable considering his style of play over the years.

Eh, every time there's a disappearance there's always some rumblings about injuries. I forget what it was 2016.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Anaheim is a tougher one but

Kreider, Jets 1st (depending where it falls, if earlier bring back their 3rd in 2020)

Will take back Eaves (3.15M one year remaining)

for #9

Thats too much. I know Stepan had more years, but we traded Stepan (a 2nd line center) and Raanta (a backup goalie) for the 7th overall pick PLUS a legit prospect in DeAngelo who turned out to be one of our best d-men.

Reactions: egelband

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Yeah maybe a poll of Kreider for 12-14th overall would bring a little more balance than this current poll. I would imagine then it would be closer to 50/50.
Kreider for Newhook or Boldy or Caufield would test Ranger fans decision making a bit more. I think we've become very big fans of Turcotte/Zegras on here and they are too appealing and make it "easier" to give up on a 27/28 year old player.

We don't need to trade him for a top 10 pick. We could trade him for a mid-1st pick and then trade up into the top 10.

Reactions: Kupo

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Keeping in mind, some of this is also driven by the fact that it's the Rangers who are apparently keen on getting into this year's top 10.

So knowing that is a desire, and that it takes value to get value, I think that's why the two topics keep getting linked.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I'm all aboard with continuing to put kids in Hartford, stocking the pro club with journeymen, and getting one more tank year on the books. But the problem is, we finished 6th worst this year and really lucked into a top 2 pick.

Guys like Zibanejad, DeAngelo, Pionk, Buchnevich, Skjei, Vesey, Georgiev, Chytil, Andersson, Howden, these guys are just getting better. Never mind if guys like Kravtsov, Hajak, Lindgren, Rykov, maybe Fox, etc, are pushing for time, and if Kakko is a ready made 50 point player. Finishing in the bottom 5 again next year might be a tough task.

If we have too much talent that we can't bury in the minors, and we're gonna finish 12th or 14th worst or something, at what point do you say, uh, getting the 12th pick in this draft isn't worth the trade off: might as well go sign Panarin and EK and make a run for it?

My caveat to that is I wouldn't go long term on an injury prone Karlsson. Otherwise I agree with almost all of this.

Reactions: belford222

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Keeping in mind, some of this is also driven by the fact that it's the Rangers who are apparently keen on getting into this year's top 10.

So knowing that is a desire, and that it takes value to get value, I think that's why the two topics keep getting linked.

For sure. The interest in Zegras/Turcotte plus they are pure centers right?

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
We don't need to trade him for a top 10 pick. We could trade him for a mid-1st pick and then trade up into the top 10.
Interesting. a little circuitous route lol. I think it would take a sexy Jets pick (19-21 range) to get that done. Is that too much? If the Rangers really feel Zegras/Turcotte have top line center ability then probably worth it.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Thats too much. I know Stepan had more years, but we traded Stepan (a 2nd line center) and Raanta (a backup goalie) for the 7th overall pick PLUS a legit prospect in DeAngelo who turned out to be one of our best d-men.

I'm willing to over pay to move up.

I think there is a big difference between who they could draft at #7 or #8 in 2019, or really #9 - #14 for that matter, and who they can draft with the Jets pick and with the eventual Kreider deadline return of late 2020 1st and meh prospect. (I mean if the Jets pick gets them #18 maybe it closes the gap some yet still)

I'm not waiting on him to decide where he may or may not extend next year to try to make a deal then in hopes of getting more than that standard rental like return, and I'm not extending him to any 6.5M 6 year deal which I think is low ball compared to what it will take to actual extend him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad