Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XXXVII

Trading Kreider plus small add for 7th-9th overall

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Can anybody explain how the draft order works , do they use the regular season points as draft position or the order in which a team lost in the playoff?

no 31: Cup Winner
no 30: Losing finalist
no 28-29: Conference finalists
no 24-27: Division winners not making the final four

After that, everyone else based on total points in the reg season

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Unless I was either A. Drunk or B. barely conscious from blood loss from a dog bite, I could have sworn that after winning the pick, Gorts mentioned that this definitely accelerates our plans.
By that I believe he feels we can be a contender by 2021... not just a playoff maker. Those bad defense contracts, AND our defensive prospects will be (hopefully) swapping places by then.

I fail to see how #2 solves either of those issues.

Reactions: jas

BLOCKERSAVE

Jan 16, 2013
Firs part of the season I thought it with be his breakout season, but as the season progress he disappear in many games, every year he does this, its getting very frustrating so to me I would trade him

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Just curious to get the mindset of Ranger fans on how they would feel about trading Kreider to get another top 10 pick for this years draft
The only team close to contending in the top 10 is Chicago, and we ain't getting #3 for Kreider. If Edmonton wants to give their pick, I don't hang up the phone. But then again, I don't think they're picking it up to call either. I don't think the draft is the best time to move him. I think he there will be more of a market for him as a deadline addition.

Reactions: egelband

Cheapshot

May 23, 2012
Think the hardest part is getting someone to give up a top ten pick for him, a mid to late first plus an add I could see. Another top 10 I’m not sure there’s a team in that 4-10 range that would do it. But for another top ten pick in this draft... boy that’s hard to pass up

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Would still cost a decent amount I think

Yeah, and I don't know at all what his status is other than that he has been scratched a ton this season, and had like three more injuries. But the knee haven't kept him out of any games, its been shoulder and groin etc. Groin isn't so surprising with him being out for two years.

Who knows where he fits in for them. But it seems like, he is back now. But STL has depth and he hasn't been able to get the playing time he needs.

But if he and STL wants to cut ties, Gorts certainly got ammo to make an offer that still counts in a way. Like one of the LD kids and a mid round pick or something.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Well, I think it's more about whether they think Kreider is an investment they want to make over the long-haul, and on what terms.

I don't think the decision on Kreider rests on getting another high draft pick, so much as that decision may coincide with getting another high draft pick.

If the Rangers are okay with a long-term commitment to Kreider, moving him is likely off the table.

If the Rangers have concerns about a long-term commitment to Kreider, then the follow-up questions are when to move him and what deal maximizes his value.

It's at that point, that a process might commense that results in the Rangers using Kreider, or a return obtained for him, as part of efforts to move up in the draft.

Can they negotiate as we speak and sign an extension by Draft day? otherwise how can we determine whether or not it's just a money/contract thing or if the Rangers just wanted to deal him?
If Kreider wants more than what he's worth along with more then JG has to trade him at draft day rather than at the TDL.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
I really question where Kreider's game will be by the time we are ready to contend. Power forwards tend to have a sudden and steep decline. Perry and Lucic are perfect examples of this. I would deal him.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I'm all aboard with continuing to put kids in Hartford, stocking the pro club with journeymen, and getting one more tank year on the books. But the problem is, we finished 6th worst this year and really lucked into a top 2 pick.

Guys like Zibanejad, DeAngelo, Pionk, Buchnevich, Skjei, Vesey, Georgiev, Chytil, Andersson, Howden, these guys are just getting better. Never mind if guys like Kravtsov, Hajak, Lindgren, Rykov, maybe Fox, etc, are pushing for time, and if Kakko is a ready made 50 point player. Finishing in the bottom 5 again next year might be a tough task.

If we have too much talent that we can't bury in the minors, and we're gonna finish 12th or 14th worst or something, at what point do you say, uh, getting the 12th pick in this draft isn't worth the trade off: might as well go sign Panarin and EK and make a run for it?

Last edited:

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I know its frustrating considering he was on a what 40 plus goal pace at one point but Kreider brings more than just goals to this team.

Reactions: egelband

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I really question where Kreider's game will be by the time we are ready to contend. Power forwards tend to have a sudden and steep decline. Perry and Lucic are perfect examples of this. I would deal him.
Man I can't picture Kreider dropping off into Lucic territory but I guess giving any 27/28 year old power forward a 6 or 7 year deal can cause that worry.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Anaheim is a tougher one but

Kreider, Jets 1st (depending where it falls, if earlier bring back their 3rd in 2020)

Will take back Eaves (3.15M one year remaining)

for #9

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
The only team close to contending in the top 10 is Chicago, and we ain't getting #3 for Kreider. If Edmonton wants to give their pick, I don't hang up the phone. But then again, I don't think they're picking it up to call either. I don't think the draft is the best time to move him. I think he there will be more of a market for him as a deadline addition.
I agree with what you're saying but then be prepared to get a Hayes like return which isn't terrible but best case scenario would be a 19th/20th pick overall. possibly a 28th-31st overall yikes

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
EK just scares me. He's probably gonna have a great playoffs get paid mega bucks (Bigger than Doughty's 8 year deal) like a 8/9 year 90-100 million dollars.

I get bad vibes thinking about giving EK a comparable deal like that. The decline would be rough in the last half of that deal.

Reactions: bl02

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
If I'm trading Kreider, I might ask for a 2020 first instead of this year's first; especially if it's from some traditional loser team like Arizona.

Reactions: Ori

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
If I'm trading Kreider, I might ask for a 2020 first instead of this year's first; especially if it's from some traditional loser team like Arizona.

I wouldn't. Arizona was very close to making the playoffs this year. Getting Kreider could easily push them into a playoff spot. Getting 14 this year gets you closer to being able to move up into the top 10.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't know if any of those top-ten teams would give up the pick for Kreider.

That, however, is not the question.

Would I? I don't know. I really don't know what Gorton's plan is with regards to making trades of signing free agents, and trying to more quickly improve the team. If he wants to do those things, then sure, re-sign Kreider. If he's not going to do that and we're talking being three years out from being a threatening playoff team or something--going the full-on youth rebuild mode--then sure, trade him. I don't want to trade him but if it's that latter scenario, it would be foolish not to.

Reactions: bl02
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad