Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
Strome has been a nearly PPG player since 2019-20, meshes well and has unbelievable chemistry with our best player, is popular in the room, and can come fairly cheap because it's well understood Panarin inflates his numbers a bit. I mean, if someone wants to give him $7m a year you walk away but that's not going to happen. Also, a +32 player since 2019 for those who think he's some defensive abomination out there. Sometimes things just work out with a certain player and I have no idea why so many are dying to get rid of him. I don't assume Artemi is going to click with anybody. I remember very well when Jagr's (pretty good winger if you recall) center was allowed to walk and a few months later we have him with Dubinsky as a rookie because nothing else was working. If Strome is to leave, I really hope you are bringing in a hell of a 2C.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Strome has been a nearly PPG player since 2019-20, meshes well and has unbelievable chemistry with our best player, is popular in the room, and can come fairly cheap because it's well understood Panarin inflates his numbers a bit. I mean, if someone wants to give him $7m a year you walk away but that's not going to happen. Also, a +32 player since 2019 for those who think he's some defensive abomination out there. Sometimes things just work out with a certain player and I have no idea why so many are dying to get rid of him. I don't assume Artemi is going to click with anybody. I remember very well when Jagr's (pretty good winger if you recall) center was allowed to walk and a few months later we have him with Dubinsky as a rookie because nothing else was working. If Strome is to leave, I really hope you are bringing in a hell of a 2C.

How much are you paying Strome next summer?

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Strome excels at scoring points with panarin. No denying that. That line has also been overmatched by better teams and stiffer competition.
Even at 5 mill per for 5 -6 years, you don’t want strome here longer then panarin.
Panarin played fine in Chicago and Columbus without strome. If his overall points go down, but the line is harder to play against as a whole, you take that and run.
The last thing you want is Panarin being dependent on Strome. Cause if that happens for the next 3 years, and we have to resign him to a big deal because of it, we’re gonna be very sorry. This is a business first and foremost.
Like I said, currently, you ride out the rest of the year with him now

Blais to Win

Dec 16, 2009
He is both of those, don't get it twisted. His preferred method of defending is to let them get a step on him and then slash them. Every game.

Ok. “Don’t get it twisted” but he’s going to be here all season. Most likely his last as an NYR for cap reasons and hopefully because they’ll be able to promote Chytil into the 2C role.

Blais to Win

Dec 16, 2009
Strome knows where his bread is buttered. Literally. I don’t expect him to adapt/change his game much in a contract year. The fact that no ext talks have even been in preliminary stages speaks volumes to me.
He’ll keep getting points and make the most of his current deployment, which is all we can really ask for at this point, but he’s not a long term solution here.
He knows without Panarin and 1PP time he’s essentially a 40 pt C whose bad at the dot that plays suspect D for the most part.
I expect him to keep putting up points and doing other things that drive us mad at times.
He’ll likely be exposed against better teams more physical matchups, but as far as rentals go, you def go with the devil you know and keep him for any kind of playoff push.
Gallant seems content to let that duo do their thing for the time being, but he is obviously looking for a viable 3rd player for that line to make them a bit tougher to play against overall.
Kakko was tried for about 20 games with some success, Hunt will be tried for a little, maybe Gauthier. Too bad Kravtsov is an asshole, because he might have flourished in that role.
He did the things on 4 th line in his 20 game stint under Quinn that would have helped him play 3rd fiddle on that line.
Yep. That doesn’t make him dumb or lazy.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
They shouldn’t do anything right now. Too much positive mojo in the locker room to mess things up. Gauthier, Chytil, Laff have seemed to have found something. Keep them together, they’ll only get better. If Strome walks at the end of the season so be it. Be patient, if Smith becomes available, grab him at the deadline.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Ok. “Don’t get it twisted” but he’s going to be here all season. Most likely his last as an NYR for cap reasons and hopefully because they’ll be able to promote Chytil into the 2C role.
I know, I'm fine with it? Don't think Chytil will get 2C role, but that's a separate discussion.

Reactions: RGY

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I'd do 4yrs/5.5m a year. If he can get more than that elsewhere, good for him. No no-trades because he'd be moveable if necessary.
What’s your plan if this team gets run out of the playoffs in the first round and the Strome-Panarin combo gets completely shutdown in the process?

I remain in a weird place with Strome. I don’t think we can trade him, but I also don’t think we can win with him playing such a key role.

I think we stand pat with him this year. Add some depth pieces. See how they do in the playoffs and reassess.

If Strome can step up in the playoffs and thrive in tight, dirty games, I’d be happy to talk about resigning him.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I'd do 4yrs/5.5m a year. If he can get more than that elsewhere, good for him. No no-trades because he'd be moveable if necessary.
This is his one opportunity to get a fat contract, no chance his next deal comes anywhere close to this

And thank god, I would legitimately despise having to watch Strome play for my team for another 4 years

Reactions: tomobson and CLW

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
How much do you give Kakko?
I really wanted a 6-7 year deal. 5-6M.

but they are going to bridge him. 3 years. I think they are really going for it. They expect to win over the next 4 years.

I still think we should lock up some youth long term for good value down the road

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
This league is a joke, sticking up for Marchand.

iu

Panarin finds that in a jacket he wore last Winter.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I really wanted a 6-7 year deal. 5-6M.

but they are going to bridge him. 3 years. I think they are really going for it. They expect to win over the next 4 years.

I still think we should lock up some youth long term for good value down the road

Sure, but that means no money for Strome...

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
How about all of Subban’s slews? How about all of Marchand’s ridiculous bullshit?
No one is going to disagree with the point you're trying to make but throwing gear is black and white just like puck over the glass. You realize he got a 10 misconduct yesterday when it happened right? Panarin actually got more of a penalty in game for throw his foam glove than McAvoy got for sticking his knee out on Rooney. It's the way this league is

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
This is his one opportunity to get a fat contract, no chance his next deal comes anywhere close to this

And thank god, I would legitimately despise having to watch Strome play for my team for another 4 years

This is such a strange and popular take for a player with 155 points in 205 games for the Rangers.

I cannot in all my years as a fan think of a player that prolific who got more hatred. Maybe Poti??

It's one thing to talk about not being able to sign him, his fit, his flaws etc. But that some of you legitimately hate the player is super weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad