What to do with Kreider?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Sure we could use the cap space a lot but I really don’t even care about that.

The 3 goalie situation and possibly being forced to trade georgiev is a trillion times bigger of a problem then the cap hit...I can live with 8.5 on the cap for another year if there was a way to solve the goalie situation

that’s all part of it though. Cap space to sign guys we want to keep and the 3 goalie problem all solved with one guy retiring

you are correct the 3 goalie issue is just as big if not bigger than the cap crunch.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Stützle is high on my list after his recent performances in DEL and CHL. I got to see him in Vienna back in August and he was easily the best player on a good Mannheim team. If Stützle is gone, go with Gunler. That kid is good on all 3 zones and creates scoring chances out of nothing in the SHL as a teenager. Crazy skill
Based on the lists we’re starting to see, it’s looking more and more like Stützle and Gunler are going to be drafted in very different parts of the 1st round: the former potentially as high as 2-3, the latter outside the top 10 and potentially somewhere in the 2nd half of the round. (Plenty of time for that to change though.) Agreed that they are guys I would target, though, for sure.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Trouba does so much good out there that gets ignored for some reason on this board that loves to just look at mistakes by him and Skjei who are out there every night playing 25 mins against the best players in the world. You think other top Dmen don’t get turned inside out by these offensive dynamos in the league these days? Scoring is way up it’s not because Trouba and Skjei get burned a few times a night. Every top pair does.

the first goal is a bad one on Trouba for sure. The second goal guy throws the puck past skjei who can not interfere with him anymore by the way puck pops right out into the slot over Georgiev’s stick. It’s a bad bounce then goes off the guys skate and thru Georgie.

not a peep about the pk work done by Trouba here late. Nothing. The physical play against heavy forwards. Nothing. Guys bashing Trouba are the same guys crying about Kakko not being a superstar yet. In a 2-2 playoff type game that his line is the best on the ice for. Extremely frustrating takes here

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
A few thoughts about Gorton's work up until the deadline.

1. I have watched some of Puljujärvi in Finland this season. First of all, I absolutely think he made the right call to go back home for a year. He is a very big young kid still filling into his body, that should have been treated as a project from Day 1 but instead was rushed to the NHL and North America. Doing "that" while adjusting to NA, expectations, being around the trainwreck EDM has been and what not, was just very much the wrong path to take for EDM.

Ppl have talked about kids not being willing to put in the work. Pulju moved to a place close to the Artic Circle, 2-3 hours of grey day light this time of the year, in the very north of Finland. He should get kudos for that. Its an organization that is held high.

I have liked what I have seen when I have watched him this season. He goes in hard on the forecheck. Throws his body around. He is firing the puck a lot. He got a very hard shot, and he is very dangerous putting hard quick shots on the net from all angles. He is a really heads-up player with the puck too, and is good at protecting it. Tremendous reach. I do think he is close already and that he has a boatload of potential to improve. Like one thing, being gifted offensively and smart doesn't per automatic mean that you have super smooth hands and good technical abilities handling passes with your skates etc. Pulju is like that, it definitely hurts him a bit in NA that he doesn't quiet get time to settle down the puck, which he gets in Europe. These things will certainly come with time on the ice. I also like his attitude.

When you watch him in Finland, I think everyone will be impressed and like how he is going about things. Holland included of course which will up his price. But he is starting to look like a player, instead of just a lanky teenager.

In the end what seals it for me is that I really think we have a "secret weapon" in Artemi Panarin. Imagine being able to put Puljujärvi with Panarin, if anyone could push him over the top its Panarin. He also would bring us a shoot first attitude around the net.

2. Geo should be traded. He will just cost too much. Its a given for me. I love him, but the cap aspects just seals the deal.

3. Look, its total denial to expect us to be able to trade Trouba without replacing him with a defender with size that can log heavy minutes. His stats may not look great, its the time of offensive hockey out there and so hard for defeneders to get by, and Trouba will have issues at times. But there is no way we could just ask Fox and Trouba to do what he is doing, or Nils Lundqvist.

We got him for a reason, and that reason will just not even remotely go away. We would get into all kinds of trouble if we moved him without replacing him. Think he was a great signing.
You’ve had some doozies over the last ~12 months, @Ola, but THIS post is spot on. 100% agreed.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Based on the lists we’re starting to see, it’s looking more and more like Stützle and Gunler are going to be drafted in very different parts of the 1st round: the former potentially as high as 2-3, the latter outside the top 10 and potentially somewhere in the 2nd half of the round. (Plenty of time for that to change though.) Agreed that they are guys I would target, though, for sure.

Rankings also said Mittelstadt and Wahlstrom would go 4th overall. When it comes to the absolute top, sure... Rankings are right. But once you get past the top-2 or top-3 sometimes, it's a crap shoot who goes where. Stützle is German, playing in DEL, which can go against him. Certain scouts could see that as an obstacle. Who knows...

howztheglass

Jan 27, 2009
I know it's unpopular, due to the love y'all have for Henrik, but I'd give him an ultimatum if I'm Davidson and Gorton. You understand what we're doing here, Hank, but we have two choices: 1) Trade to a contender or 2) Watch from above.

Spot on.

Did anyone catch what Vally said last night after the game.

He said Shesty should start Saturday followed up by Georgiev against the Isles. Hank not playing all but 1 game in 2-3 weeks is got to be playing mind games with him.

Does he want to sit as a back up most nights ( I don't believe so ) or play in meaningful games ?

Seriously thinking Hank for all the great that he has done for us will think long and hard during the all-star break about his future. If I'm JG or JD I go to Hank and tell him this is the plan moving forward ( which might have happened already behind the seen ). Personally I can't see Hank with all of his pride wanting to sit on the bench with his baseball cap on.

It's possible there is a third option above ( retirement ) and if wink wink Hank has already informed the Rangers that might take place then we have to hold on to Georgiev--and ride the wave of him and Shesty into the future.

Only way I'm dealing Georgiev is for an overpayment at this point.

Buch/Skjei and Georgiev maybe a draft pick for Nylander and Kapenen type of deal with Toronto. We know they are already talking so now take advantage of Toronto situation.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Trouba does so much good out there that gets ignored for some reason on this board that loves to just look at mistakes by him and Skjei who are out there every night playing 25 mins against the best players in the world. You think other top Dmen don’t get turned inside out by these offensive dynamos in the league these days? Scoring is way up it’s not because Trouba and Skjei get burned a few times a night. Every top pair does.

the first goal is a bad one on Trouba for sure. The second goal guy throws the puck past skjei who can not interfere with him anymore by the way puck pops right out into the slot over Georgiev’s stick. It’s a bad bounce then goes off the guys skate and thru Georgie.

not a peep about the pk work done by Trouba here late. Nothing. The physical play against heavy forwards. Nothing. Guys bashing Trouba are the same guys crying about Kakko not being a superstar yet. In a 2-2 playoff type game that his line is the best on the ice for. Extremely frustrating takes here
We need someone who is what people want Trouba to be for sure, but I'm not sure Trouba is actually that. He often looks incredibly lackadasial playing defence and when he isn't going for a big hit can be very passive and stationary. And I'm 100% ready to admit that how you "look" playing D isn't necessarily accurate, but when he isn't getting on-ice results I'm going to question it. Though Skjei is likely part of the problem as he is much better suited for a secondary offensive role instead of the primary shutdown one.

He plays a difficult role for sure but I don't think he is well suited for it and I'd much, much rather have someone like Lindholm/Ekholm paired with Fox in that role than Skjei-Trouba.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I have a feeling that the Rangers may tough this season out with three goaltenders so they can market whomever to a broader market this summer. There’s plenty of interest now. There would even more in June.

When there is a demand for a player his value goes up. Those fans who want to compare Talbot to Georgiev should keep in mind that Talbot played his first NHL when he was 26 years old and he played for a Rangers team that was a perennial playoff team. In contrast Georgiev plays his first NHL game as a 21 year old. He solidifies himself as a legit NHL goalie when he's 22 years old and he's only getting better.

Mr Clutch

Jan 21, 2014
Virginia
Byfield is my prospect crush this year.

Lefreniere's skills are elite, and he's done nothing to lose his place at the top of this list. I just think Byfield has a chance to be a dangerous player who is incredibly hard to stop. This is kid who would've been projected as a star back in 2000, but has the toolbox to play in 2020.
Byfield reminds me of a young Malkin

Reactions: TheBloodyNine

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I believe the “Hank problem” is not really all that much of a problem. If Gorton and company have concluded how they want the roster to look going forward, getting there won’t be that heavy a lift. They either will trade Georgiev or force Henrik out. Worst case it’s a buyout over the summer. But I do think a Georgiev trade makes most sense. No idea if management agrees, of course.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

1. I have watched some of Puljujärvi in Finland this season. First of all, I absolutely think he made the right call to go back home for a year. He is a very big young kid still filling into his body, that should have been treated as a project from Day 1 but instead was rushed to the NHL and North America. Doing "that" while adjusting to NA, expectations, being around the trainwreck EDM has been and what not, was just very much the wrong path to take for EDM.

Ppl have talked about kids not being willing to put in the work. Pulju moved to a place close to the Artic Circle, 2-3 hours of grey day light this time of the year, in the very north of Finland. He should get kudos for that. Its an organization that is held high.

I have liked what I have seen when I have watched him this season. He goes in hard on the forecheck. Throws his body around. He is firing the puck a lot. He got a very hard shot, and he is very dangerous putting hard quick shots on the net from all angles. He is a really heads-up player with the puck too, and is good at protecting it. Tremendous reach. I do think he is close already and that he has a boatload of potential to improve. Like one thing, being gifted offensively and smart doesn't per automatic mean that you have super smooth hands and good technical abilities handling passes with your skates etc. Pulju is like that, it definitely hurts him a bit in NA that he doesn't quiet get time to settle down the puck, which he gets in Europe. These things will certainly come with time on the ice. I also like his attitude.

When you watch him in Finland, I think everyone will be impressed and like how he is going about things. Holland included of course which will up his price. But he is starting to look like a player, instead of just a lanky teenager.

In the end what seals it for me is that I really think we have a "secret weapon" in Artemi Panarin. Imagine being able to put Puljujärvi with Panarin, if anyone could push him over the top its Panarin. He also would bring us a shoot first attitude around the net.

2. Geo should be traded. He will just cost too much. Its a given for me. I love him, but the cap aspects just seals the deal.

3. Look, its total denial to expect us to be able to trade Trouba without replacing him with a defender with size that can log heavy minutes. His stats may not look great, its the time of offensive hockey out there and so hard for defeneders to get by, and Trouba will have issues at times. But there is no way we could just ask Fox and Trouba to do what he is doing, or Nils Lundqvist.

We got him for a reason, and that reason will just not even remotely go away. We would get into all kinds of trouble if we moved him without replacing him. Think he was a great signing.

Trouba is an extremely important player for the Rangers and having him allows Fox and DeAngelo to play to their strengths. Having a guy with size, strength and a degree of meanness who can play 25 minutes a night is important and no one's arguing that DeAngelo or Fox aren't better offensively (though Trouba's pretty good offensively) but you also need someone who can handle defensive situations because there will always be penalties to kill and top players to defend against. That is not DeAngelo's strength and those are not situations you want to put a smallish first year pro like Fox up against all that much either. Trouba's really the anchor of the defense or the player we're constructing our defense around---we needed to move on from the Shattenkirk experiment because he's not someone you can construct a defense around---he's not the kind of player either who gives someone like DeAngelo much room to grow or play to his strengths.

Last edited:

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Even after the very good game by Kreider last night, I'm still not comfortable giving him a 6 or 7 year deal.
5 year deal take it or leave it.

But there is something to be said about Kreider and the type of game he plays. He has his speed down the wings, but his net front play is up there with the best of them. He makes so much happen there. He would not be easy to replace and we really have nothing close to anything like him. They have tried to have Lemieux play the same role on PP2. He is just ok at it. He isn’t big like Kreider or has the hands around the net like him.

Factor in his leadership and everything he is bringing to the table...I don’t know. This is going to go down to the wire for Gorton and JD.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Byfield reminds me of a young Malkin

I see a lot of similarities to Thornton at the same age.

Thornton was meaner, Byfield is more physically developed at the same point. But from a style standpoint, there’s a lot of crossover. Incidentally, their production is also eerily similar.

Reactions: Leetch3

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
We need someone who is what people want Trouba to be for sure, but I'm not sure Trouba is actually that. He often looks incredibly lackadasial playing defence and when he isn't going for a big hit can be very passive and stationary. And I'm 100% ready to admit that how you "look" playing D isn't necessarily accurate, but when he isn't getting on-ice results I'm going to question it. Though Skjei is likely part of the problem as he is much better suited for a secondary offensive role instead of the primary shutdown one.

He plays a difficult role for sure but I don't think he is well suited for it and I'd much, much rather have someone like Lindholm/Ekholm paired with Fox in that role than Skjei-Trouba.

And im telling you you can count on one hand how many of those guys in this day and age actually exist.

lindholm and ekholm don’t bring what Trouba brings not even close. He’s 25 years old you are paying for his prime years. He’s a beast on both ends. Don’t think for a second fox and DeAngelo are having the seasons they’re having without Trouba doing most of the heavy lifting. It’s a tremendous mix love what we did with those 3.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

But there is something to be said about Kreider and the type of game he plays. He has his speed down the wings, but his net front play is up there with the best of them. He makes so much happen there. He would not be easy to replace and we really have nothing close to anything like him. They have tried to have Lemieux play the same role on PP2. He is just ok at it. He isn’t big like Kreider or has the hands around the net like him.

Factor in his leadership and everything he is bringing to the table...I don’t know. This is going to go down to the wire for Gorton and JD.

I'd probably offer 4 x $7m before the deadline. If he declines, I'd trade him and circle back after the season and offer 5 years @ $7m.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I'd probably offer 4 x $7m before the deadline. If he declines, I'd trade him and circle back after the season and offer 5 years @ $7m.
I am ok with this plan. Let him keep his 10 team NTC.

I would even go 4 years @ $7.25. 5 years @ $7.

You can move Buchnevich in the offseason. Maybe Skjei too. You have the (3) expiring contracts. There is no guarantee all of our ELCs get significant raises. New TV deal.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I would go 7m x 5 for Kreider. No chance am I giving him 7 and I really don't want 6 years either. Doubt he's interested in a deal less than max term so it's probably a moot point what I want. Let someone else enjoy dealing with his contract in 4 years.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I am ok with this plan. Let him keep his 10 team NTC.

I would even go 4 years @ $7.25. 5 years @ $7.

You can move Buchnevich in the offseason. Maybe Skjei too. You have the (3) expiring contracts. There is no guarantee all of our ELCs get significant raises. New TV deal.

Count me in the boat that even if Kreider is dealt and walks, I'd still look to trade Buch

Count me also in the group that would LOVE Darnell Nurse if he was somehow available.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019

Exactly. People don’t take that into account and it’s not about intangibles. Being one of the best in front of a net impacts a team in such a positive way that’s its gonna be extremely difficult to replace. Look I’m not saying we should break the bank for him but they should see if a deal can be worked out before just giving him away for a late 1st rounder.

Reactions: RGY

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

the idea that we should trade georgiev cause he's so good that he'll want alot of $$ is such a terrible take. so should we hope that shesterkin is a bad goalie so he is cheaper?

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
I preface this with saying that I still believe there is almost 0% chance Hank waives his NMC.

However, I do wonder during the course of all the conversations he and the organization have had if he has ever simply asked if the NMC wasn't in place, would they have traded him already/look to do so now?

Before the last few weeks, the whole "plan" thing was just that, a plan for the future. Now Shesh is here and it's a reality. I wonder if Hank senses that in a certain way, the organization is trapped by his NMC and that they'll probably be forced into a move (trading AG) that they would rather not do.

Does Hank care? Does he perhaps say this summer "you've been good to me. If you believe that going ahead with these 2 young players is what's in the best interest of this teams future, I don't want to hold you prisoner. Here are some teams I'd consider going to".

Again, I dont think the above happens. I just wonder sometimes about the thought process of pro athletes when it's clear the organization is stuck with them b/c of contract protections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad