Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XXII

What to do with Kreider?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I wanted zucc trades two seasons ago. That’s a replaceable guy who obviously wasn’t going to keep it up into his mid 30s. Nothing like Kreider.

With all these prospects, why can’t the Rangers find another young power forward? Some thought McDonagh was an offensive defenseman and we couldn’t part ways with him b/c we had nobody who could make a breakout pass. Now we’re flooded with them. The Rangers will find a Kreider replacement too.

Reactions: Kupo

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
You do know that players, as they age, more than likely aren't the same players they are in their prime right? So replacing Krieder from this year with Kreider even in 3 years won't be comparable more than likely. What then? They have less cap space to make any move at that point

I do. Science and all. I also know the guy keeps himself in crazy shape and have zero worries about him for the next five years. I also know that not every kid in the system is going to pan out and I have no desire to see them throw a huge contract at an UFA in the next few years when they can keep their own. I'm glad it's working with Panarin but he's a freak.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
He's their 3rd best forward. You better have a plan for replacing him because they have no one like him in the system and thier top 6 is so one dimensional without a player like him. Should they take another step backwards next season while JD and Gorton do jigsaw puzzles? Sorry, but this isn't rocket science. They have pieces on the roster that aren't working Buch, Skjei, Smith, Staal. You can't move all of them but you can move some. Move what doesn't work. Who would you rather have on the team next year, Buch or Kreider?

Yes, he is our third best forward, and keeping him became that much harder when we signed our best forward --- this is exactly what we knew was a probably consequence. Lo and behold, here we are.

And the Rangers very well could have a plan in place to replace him, but we don't know that. And again, unless you want Gorton to post his playbook on here, all we're going to have is the speculation you just got done saying you didn't want.

Yes, we can move Buch, and Skjei, but we're either getting salaries back, or we're getting prospects who don't help. So all we're doing is essentially standing in place because while we're better with Kreider than without him, we're not necessarily better in the short term trading Buch and Skjei as part of salary dumps. Because if you're not taking contracts back, in an effort to improve the current roster, that means you're trading them for futures --- which is exactly what you yourself don't want to do with Kreider. And when all is said and done, moving Buch and Skjei will essentially give us the money to resign Kreider, ADA and maybe Strome, but now we have to go and replace those other guys and I'm not convinced that the net result is substantially better than the path you don't like.

So that leads us back to the very likely scenario that this team is going to have to make additional moves, regardless of whether Kreider is here. But now, as we make those moves, we'll have $20 million lock into a pair of 29 year old winger and any flex room will have been eaten up by resigning what we already had.

So that leads me back to my disagreement that keeping Kreider is simply a matter of moving Buch, or moving Skjei. Because those moves bring with them certain consequences, and those consequences (good and bad) will impact other moves that are coming one way or the other.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
With all these prospects, why can’t the Rangers find another young power forward? Some thought McDonagh was an offensive defenseman and we couldn’t part ways with him b/c we had nobody who could make a breakout pass. Now we’re flooded with them. The Rangers will find a Kreider replacement too.
Not as easy as you make it sound. Kreider is one of the best in the game in front of the net and factor in with great speed there are very few like him. If you want to trade him fine but gotta be a little fair, he is very to to replace

Reactions: belford22

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I do. Science and all. I also know the guy keeps himself in crazy shape and have zero worries about him for the next five years. I also know that not every kid in the system is going to pan out and I have no desire to see them throw a huge contract at an UFA in the next few years when they can keep their own. I'm glad it's working with Panarin but he's a freak.

Well and that's the crux of the argument, other people do not have zero worries. And some of those people who aren't in the zero worries camp, are the ones who will actually make the decision to keep Kreider.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
Yes, he is our third best forward, and keeping him became that much harder when we signed our best forward --- this is exactly what we knew was a probably consequence. Lo and behold, here we are.

And the Rangers very well could have a plan in place to replace him, but we don't know that. And again, unless you want Gorton to post his playbook on here, all we're going to have is the speculation you just got done saying you didn't want.

Yes, we can move Buch, and Skjei, but we're either getting salaries back, or we're getting prospects who don't help. So all we're doing is essentially standing in place because while we're better with Kreider than without him, we're not necessarily better in the short term trading Buch and Skjei as part of salary dumps. Because if you're not taking contracts back, in an effort to improve the current roster, that means you're trading them for futures --- which is exactly what you yourself don't want to do with Kreider. And when all is said and done, moving Buch and Skjei will essentially give us the money to resign Kreider, ADA and maybe Strome, but now we have to go and replace those other guys and I'm not convinced that the net result is substantially better than the path you don't like.

So that leads us back to the very likely scenario that this team is going to have to make additional moves, regardless of whether Kreider is here. But now, as we make those moves, we'll have $20 million lock into a pair of 29 year old winger and any flex room will have been eaten up by resigning what we already had.

So that leads me back to my disagreement that keeping Kreider is simply a matter of moving Buch, or moving Skjei. Because those moves bring with them certain consequences, and those consequences (good and bad) will impact other moves that are coming one way or the other.
I like Buch but I don’t think moving him is an issue. As for Skjei I hated the contract we gave him and he certainly hadn’t live up to it. We have plenty of defensemen prospects too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad