Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XXII

What to do with Kreider?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
Mirtle didn't indicate the Rangers were looking for any kind of package, just a young roster player. And specifically not picks and prospects.

I do agree with what the other posted said about playoff teams not wanting to weaken the roster to acquire Georgiev. That's why I think it's actually beneficial to roll with the 3-goalie setup into the offseason, as teams would then have an easier time filling whatever hole they created in dealing for Georgiev.

Of course, that all assumes that the three goalies are okay with the rotation Because if one speaks out or requests a trade, then you're in a worse bargaining position then you were before.
I know..never said they were looking for a big package. My point is even getting a good young cost controlled player will be difficult

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Kakko and Kravtsov have both played on the left side before.

You’re the kind of chess player that sees 2-3 moves ahead. Look further. Re-Signing Kreider means we’re investing what, 18m of our cap space on LW?

People complained when Stepan was traded. Who will replace Derek?! Zbad has not only replaced him, but exceeded expectations tremendously.

If Kakko/Kravtsov aren’t effective at LW, then trade Buch for one. Or, draft and develop one.

Kreider didn’t push us over the top when we were contenders. By the time this young team is ready for that again, CK will be in his 30’s and will likely be less effective than he is today, but with a much larger cap hit.

With or without Kreider, we've widely discussed that this team is probably looking at a Rick Nash type trade (multiple assets for a core player), and/or a Marian Gaborik type trade (core player for multiple assets) in the next few years. Who that's going to be? We don't know. Just like we didn't know Rich Nash would be a Ranger in 2010, or Trouba would be a Ranger in 2017, or Jaromir Jagr would be a Ranger in 2002. There's so a universe of possibilities ahead, so it's hard to sit down right now and say, "THIS is who we are going to get."

Reactions: NYRKING30 and Kupo

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Kakko and Kravtsov have both played on the left side before.

You’re the kind of chess player that sees 2-3 moves ahead. Look further. Re-Signing Kreider means we’re investing what, 18m of our cap space on LW?

People complained when Stepan was traded. Who will replace Derek?! Zbad has not only replaced him, but exceeded expectations tremendously.

If Kakko/Kravtsov aren’t effective at LW, then trade Buch for one. Or, draft and develop one.

Kreider didn’t push us over the top when we were contenders. By the time this young team is ready for that again, CK will be in his 30’s and will likely be less effective than he is today, but with a much larger cap hit.

You're putting a lot of faith in a kid that ran home the first time things got difficult and this ain't chess, homie. This is hockey. You need big, strong, fast players to win. Draft and develop? Cool, maybe he'll be ready for the start of the 2026 season.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
I fear the ramifications of a Kreider trade on the rest of the team. What if, say, the Rangers are still in the mix for that last wild card spot at the deadline. Do they use Kreider as a self rental and see how the season plays out and continue negotiating? Do they still say **** it and trade him? My 2 biggest worries about the whole Kreider situation is 1) he signs long term and declines and the contract hurts the team, that’s an obvious one that’s been discussed ad nauseam here. The second worry for me is that it will really negatively impact the locker room and upset guys. I know it’s a business and **** happens, but you see the guys are starting to play for each other. It seems like team chemistry is really starting to gel. Sure the team still lacks a defensive structure, but it seems like for the most part the team really is starting to mesh and want to play for each other and for Quinn. Maybe the better option is to use Kreider as a self rental and go from there.
Self Rental would be a gigantic mistake. This team isn't winning the cup.

Reactions: broadwayblue

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I'm becoming more okay with the 3-goalie rotation. If the Rangers play it cool, and act like they'd seriously consider going into next year using it, that increases their leverage when it comes to trading Georgiev as he'd no longer be viewed as a guy the Rangers have to trade.

I saw Mirtle said the Rangers want a young roster player for him. Not futures. And that's been the holdup with the Leafs.
The trade talks have to start with Kapanen or Johnsson and go from there. Prefer Kapanen. Pick(s) added. Kapanen is 23, signed for 2 more years after this one at $3.2 with RFA status thereafter.

This type of trade is not just for this year for the Leafs. He could be their #1 for the foreseeable future. He is 23 years old with RFA status, scratching the surface of potential it seems. He is making minimal money right now and they are a cap strapped team. Its a perfect matchup for them. And unfortunately you have to pay up in those situations. We aren’t here to do them any favors. I am happy holding onto all 3 goalies until
the summer.

Frederik Andersen will be 31 at the start of next season. He is only signed through next season. He is making $5 million. They can buy time with their cap situation overall* having Georgiev while also probably improving their goaltending. I think GG is a better goalie right now.

Kapanen, 2nd round pick, Bracco

for

Georgiev, 3rd round pick.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
With or without Kreider, we've widely discussed that this team is probably looking at a Rick Nash type trade (multiple assets for a core player), and/or a Marian Gaborik type trade (core player for multiple assets) in the next few years. Who that's going to be? We don't know. Just like we didn't know Rich Nash would be a Ranger in 2010, or Trouba would be a Ranger in 2017, or Jaromir Jagr would be a Ranger in 2002. There's so a universe of possibilities ahead, so it's hard to sit down right now and say, "THIS is who we are going to get."

Dude, these guys were linked to the Rangers years before they finally got here. There was even talk of trading Kreider for Nash at the deadline the year before he got here. C'mon now.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
This is a lot of circular talk and I have no idea what the point of it is. Good teams find ways to keep their good players. All we hear about is saving money for the kids and this magical window when everything will be perfect and they'll be playing for a Cup. Anderson's as good as gone, Kravtsov is not breaking the bank on his next deal and will probably get bridge, that's two guys right there. Meanwhile, there's not one forward in the system to replace Kreider with, not a one.

I'm sorry you find it to be circular talk, but it is what it is.

Good teams do find ways to keep their good players, but caps are in place and at some point you're not going to keep all of your good players. At some point you end up having to find other good players, who can fit within the cap structure. And those changes aren't always of the 1 for 1 variety. Sometimes it's having a $4 million LD and a $3 million RW instead of the $7 million LW. Sometimes it's dictated by the $11.5 million LW you signed 9 months prior, or the $3 million raise you have to give to someone in a few months.

I don't think the more immediate focus is on replacing Kreider, it's trying to figure out how to get as many puzzle pieces into the right place, at the right time, while utilizing a finite pile of resources.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Dude, these guys were linked to the Rangers years before they finally got here. There was even talk of trading Kreider for Nash at the deadline the year before he got here. C'mon now.
Yeah but plenty of guys have been linked to the Rangers for years that never ended up in NY. Like, how many times were we going to acquire Jarome Iginla? Just because someone is frequently linked to us doesn't mean it's going to happen.

Reactions: Kupo and Edge

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I get it. I’m talking power forward. Nobody wanted to part ways with Zuccarello either. Wanted to keep McDonagh, we’re heartbroken when Stepan left and some want to extend Hank. It’s a rebuild.

I wanted zucc trades two seasons ago. That’s a replaceable guy who obviously wasn’t going to keep it up into his mid 30s. Nothing like Kreider.

Reactions: Leetch3 and jas

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

And there are guys linked to the Rangers now, for whom we're saying "We'll believe it when we see it."

And like past years, some will get here and some won't. But we don't know who its going to end up being. We can guess, as we've could've there, but you just got done saying you didn't want speculation.

So that cuts both ways.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
I'm sorry you find it to be circular talk, but it is what it is.

Good teams do find ways to keep their good players, but caps are in place and at some point you're not going to keep all of your good players. At some point you end up having to find other good players, who can fit within the cap structure. And those changes aren't always of the 1 for 1 variety. Sometimes it's having a $4 million LD and a $3 million RW instead of the $7 million LW. Sometimes it's dictated by the $11.5 million LW you signed 9 months prior, or the $3 million raise you have to give to someone in a few months.

I don't think the more immediate focus is on replacing Kreider, it's trying to figure out how to get as many puzzle pieces into the right place, at the right time, while utilizing a finite pile of resources.

He's their 3rd best forward. You better have a plan for replacing him because they have no one like him in the system and thier top 6 is so one dimensional without a player like him. Should they take another step backwards next season while JD and Gorton do jigsaw puzzles? Sorry, but this isn't rocket science. They have pieces on the roster that aren't working Buch, Skjei, Smith, Staal. You can't move all of them but you can move some. Move what doesn't work. Who would you rather have on the team next year, Buch or Kreider?

Reactions: belford22

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I'm becoming more okay with the 3-goalie rotation. If the Rangers play it cool, and act like they'd seriously consider going into next year using it, that increases their leverage when it comes to trading Georgiev as he'd no longer be viewed as a guy the Rangers have to trade.

I saw Mirtle said the Rangers want a young roster player for him. Not futures. And that's been the holdup with the Leafs.

Fredrik Andersen is 30 and has one year remaining after this season at $5 mil. and he can't handle the load the Leafs are putting on him and if they're going to win they need another good goalie and they might be looking at a replacement in a year or so anyway and if they have Alex it might be easier for them to move on from Andersen if he decides he wants a 7 or 8 year term at $7 or 8 mil dollars and they don't want to do that. In other words they have a organizational goaltender issue. So if they're serious about Georgiev they're also seeing in him a guy who will be a strong likelihood for them as a starter in the very near future.

At the very least if the Rangers are looking for a young forward that they can plug in right now the Leafs are going to have to be willing to move Kapanen and maybe with an add on......or even maybe Nylander. If the Rangers want a young player those would be the guys I would look at and anything less wouldn't work.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Yeah but plenty of guys have been linked to the Rangers for years that never ended up in NY. Like, how many times were we going to acquire Jarome Iginla? Just because someone is frequently linked to us doesn't mean it's going to happen.

Of course, but using Nash and Trouba as guys no one saw coming to the Rangers aren't the best examples.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Zuc was 32. Kakko is not a power forward and plays the right side. They didn't want to pay McDonagh, different position. Stepan was slow and didn't put work in. Trade Kreider and the rebuild takes even longer. What else you got?

I have a salary cap and not under some delusion this team is close so I’m sticking with the young. That’s what I’ve got. And ALL those player mentioned, the same folks didn’t want to part ways with them, Kreider or Hank.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

You're getting a lot of likes here, but I don't know if I measure up a potential small increase in Georgiev bargaining power against the possibility of irritating all three goaltenders.

Reactions: nyr2k2

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
He's their 3rd best forward. You better have a plan for replacing him because they have no one like him in the system and thier top 6 is so one dimensional without a player like him. Should they take another step backwards next season while JD and Gorton do jigsaw puzzles? Sorry, but this isn't rocket science. They have pieces on the roster that aren't working Buch, Skjei, Smith, Staal. You can't move all of them but you can move some. Move what doesn't work. Who would you rather have on the team next year, Buch or Kreider?

You do know that players, as they age, more than likely aren't the same players they are in their prime right? So replacing Krieder from this year with Kreider even in 3 years won't be comparable more than likely. What then? They have less cap space to make any move at that point

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
You're getting a lot of likes here, but I don't know if I measure up a potential small increase in Georgiev bargaining power against the possibility of irritating all three goaltenders.
Yeah for sure. It's definitely contingent upon all three guys being accepting of the arrangement. Obviously you don't want to piss any of them off. And of course if you do, as stated, you completely lose any leverage you had otherwise gained.

(Also for the record, I personally hate the 3-man rotation and think it sucks for everyone. I'm just speaking to a hypothetical situation where the three of them can come to peace with it.)

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
You're putting a lot of faith in a kid that ran home the first time things got difficult and this ain't chess, homie. This is hockey. You need big, strong, fast players to win. Draft and develop? Cool, maybe he'll be ready for the start of the 2026 season.

You can apply the chess analogy to a lot of things. You’re more concerned with 2021 than 2023.

Re-signing guys like Fox, Kakko, Zbad, ADA and Chytil is going to be a lot harder when 18M is tied up on your two LW spots.

Sorry homie, but committing to CK is an incredibly stupid decision given where we are in our rebuild.

Shane Doan will be a Ranger at some point in his career.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I can’t see how you trade Buchnevich with Kreider being gone

at least in the short term

It all depends on who comes back for those players (or others), who takes a step forward and who else Gorton feels he can acquire both as UFA's or via trade. It's too difficult to know all of that. Step 1 is to make the good decisions at the deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad