• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
You know, I honestly believe Byfield has a shot to be as impactful as Lafreniere.

He’s not quite as purely skilled as Lafreniere, and his offensive weapons don’t rate quite as high, but the overall package has a chance to be just as productive — and at a premium position.

So, we win the lottery.......

Are you that guy that picks Byfield 1st OA over Lafreniere..?

:popcorn:

giphy.gif

edited because of that sober ninja turtle poster.

Last edited:
Reactions: NYRangers16

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
As much as I love Byfield and covet him over Lafrienere because of his position, you gotta take Laf 1st.

Or trade down to 2nd haha!

I’d easily take both players over Hughes+Kakko. With Lafreniere, you’re potentially getting a superstar winger who has all the talent any team would want.

Byfield’s combination of size, talent, and IQ makes him the kind of prospect that would dominate the center of the ice for the next 15 years.

I wouldn’t hesitate going with Lafreniere though. . At the end of the day he has top-5 NHL talent and I’d take that over a top-10 Two-Way Center with size and intangibles like Byfield.

I also think Byfield has more “bust potential” too. I like his speed once he gets going, but I feel his first few strides in the NHL will be similar to Kakko’s..

If we’re in this position, it’s ultimately a GREAT problem. Gun to my head though..? Lafreniere easily.

Last edited:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Byram’s combination of size, talent, and IQ makes him the kind of prospect that would dominate the center of the ice for the next 15 years.

I wouldn’t hesitate going with Lafreniere though. . At the end of the day he has top-5 NHL talent and I’d take that over a top-10 Two-Way Center with size and intangibles like Byram.

I also think Byram has more “bust potential” too. I like his speed once he gets going, but I feel his first few strides in the NHL will be similar to Kakko’s..

If we’re in this position, it’s ultimately a GREAT problem. Gun to my head though..? Lafreniere easily.
Byram is a defenseman from last year's draft.

Reactions: Kupo

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Unless I heard the name William Nylander coming to us from Toronto as part of some package, Georgie isn't going anywhere to the Great White North. I'm pretty sure my pal Jeff Gorton agrees with this as well...lol

Seriously and I'm not so sure Dreger isn't just pulling his usual BS as it's hard to see the Leafs would be so amped to get Georgie with Andersson in the fold but whoever wants Georgie is going to need to give us a plug in player or a #1 or at worst high #2 pick otherwise no dice.

In meantime as unrealistic as this might be, I'm going to hold out hope that Hanky boy wants to win a Cup so bad, he give up his not trade clause and allows Gorts to deal him to a contender(ie...Colorado) and we keep Georgie and let him compete with Shesty for the #1 gig going forward.

Yeah I'm in lala land that this scenario will play out but until something concrete actually occurs, this is the hope I'm hanging on to....:)

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
I know it's unpopular, due to the love y'all have for Henrik, but I'd give him an ultimatum if I'm Davidson and Gorton. You understand what we're doing here, Hank, but we have two choices: 1) Trade to a contender or 2) Watch from above.

Reactions: leetch99

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Obviously love the top two guys but after them it’s Stutzle for me.

Stützle is high on my list after his recent performances in DEL and CHL. I got to see him in Vienna back in August and he was easily the best player on a good Mannheim team. If Stützle is gone, go with Gunler. That kid is good on all 3 zones and creates scoring chances out of nothing in the SHL as a teenager. Crazy skill

Reactions: Kovalev27

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I'm sorry but trading Georgiev is just wrong.
He even steps up during rivalry games in that old school manor.
He just gets it..I love this kid.
The Fishsticks hate this guy and rightfully so.
I know we got Shesty but this kid is just an awesome throw back goalie that's extremely in tune with today's game.
It would be a huge loss to this team IMO

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I'm sorry but trading Georgiev is just wrong.
He even steps up during rivalry games in that old school manor.
He just gets it..I love this kid.
The Fishsticks hate this guy and rightfully so.
I know we got Shesty but this kid is just an awesome throw back goalie that's extremely in tune with today's game.
It would be a huge loss to this team IMO

There are 3 ways we can continue with Georgiev and Shestyorkin:

1. Lundqvist trade
2. Lundqvist retirement
3. Lundqvist buy out

I know people don't want to hear it but a Lundqvist buy out isn't as crazy as it sounds. 5.5m cap hit in 2020-21 (3m cap relief) and a 1.5m cap penalty in 2021-22 is actually a pretty decent buy out structure. It generates some cap-relief to offset the 6m hit for Shattenkirk a bit, and the penalty is on the books the year Shattenkirk's hit goes from 6m to 1.4m

Reactions: egelband

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
From Carolina, I think Jamieson Rees would be a perfect target. The kid plays with a ton of energy, he is pretty gritty and also have a lot of skill.

I also think that Julien Gauthier is exciting from Carolina. But in a way I think he has a lot of skill in many areas that 'still won't be good enough at the NHL level' if you get what I mean. Like his speed and ability to challenge Ds 1 on 1 at top speed. Things that draws comparisons to Rich Nash. That can be great, but the first few steps are absolutely crucial and if you will have guys catching you from behind it will only amount to something once or twice per year in the NHL. It is his work along the boards, his ability to forecheck and his ability to buy into the system and learn to play to his teammates strengths that will make or break him.

Like there is a real risk for guys that size that they will disappear on the ice. Someone like Fogarty can be so well balanced in the AHL, and then just don't come close in the NHL. And its just not guys like him that can be debated if they are second rate. Andersson in Columbus has really disappeared this season. Tuch has been very streaky. And so forth.

Vis-a-vis Gauthier I just think its extremely important that you are picky about what you are buying. You want a player that can bring a lot in the areas the Tkachucks are so good at. Getting in peoples ways. Working the board. Being physically punishing wearing Ds down. Being smart, getting into the right areas. Playing a smart team game. All those things. The ability to toe-drag a defender when you come flying down the wing will look mighty impressive outside the NHL, but it can also be something that you never see pay off even once at the NHL level. And it is really hard for these guys to change pace and just set off. I haven't seen enough of Gauthier to have a super strong opinion on him, but I would be a bit cautious.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Given Geo's recent play I think its a no-brainer to trade him. Are we willing to fork out 7-8m per for a goalie again in the very near future? It don't make sense.

Benny is a goldmine with how he develops goalies. Cash in on Geo now. Go with Shesty and Hank for a year. Replace Hank with a young and upcoming goalie. We will be very attractive for a young goalie. Cash in on that goalie or Shesty in a few years. Go cheap. Unless someone steps up and just runs with it becoming a clear top 3-5 goalie.

Reactions: egelband

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Georgie Kreids Tony Strome Fast all big boy games. Need these guys hate trading any of them.

sad that the biggest albatross on the team right now god love him is hank and his 8.5 mil cap hit next year. No one wants to lose Georgiev. Would be a pleasure to have him and Shesterkin battle it out although I do believe Georgie is more a high end back up.

remove Hanks contract and the sun comes out on this cap situation. He’s going to play under 40 games this year healthy. For 8.5 mil this year and next. It’s a serious problem as much as he’s earned it

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Georgie Kreids Tony Strome Fast all big boy games. Need these guys hate trading any of them.

sad that the biggest albatross on the team right now god love him is hank and his 8.5 mil cap hit next year. No one wants to lose Georgiev. Would be a pleasure to have him and Shesterkin battle it out although I do believe Georgie is more a high end back up.

remove Hanks contract and the sun comes out on this cap situation. He’s going to play under 40 games this year healthy. For 8.5 mil this year and next. It’s a serious problem as much as he’s earned it

Sure we could use the cap space a lot but I really don’t even care about that.

The 3 goalie situation and possibly being forced to trade georgiev is a trillion times bigger of a problem then the cap hit...I can live with 8.5 on the cap for another year if there was a way to solve the goalie situation

QJL

Jan 2, 2014

Kreider is not signing at 6.5m x 5 years. Try 7x7.

DeAngelo is not signing at 5.75m x 4. Try 6.5mx6 if it’s long term. I think we can keep him at 4.5m-5m on a bridge. There are no comparable defenseman with 60 point+ production who have signed that low on a 4+ year term in the last half decade.

Strome is not signing at 5mx4. Try 5.5mx5.

Georgiev can probably be retained for less. Maybe 2.5mx2.

The Fast deal is close, maybe a little high.

The Smith trade is too much to give up.

No chance we start next season with 3 goalies. If we’re keeping Georgiev, I really do think we buy out Hank. Can’t see that happening.

Unless this team is in a solid playoff spot come deadline time, Kreider and Georgiev should go. If the right deal isn’t there for Georgiev, he’s traded in the offseason.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
A few thoughts about Gorton's work up until the deadline.

1. I have watched some of Puljujärvi in Finland this season. First of all, I absolutely think he made the right call to go back home for a year. He is a very big young kid still filling into his body, that should have been treated as a project from Day 1 but instead was rushed to the NHL and North America. Doing "that" while adjusting to NA, expectations, being around the trainwreck EDM has been and what not, was just very much the wrong path to take for EDM.

Ppl have talked about kids not being willing to put in the work. Pulju moved to a place close to the Artic Circle, 2-3 hours of grey day light this time of the year, in the very north of Finland. He should get kudos for that. Its an organization that is held high.

I have liked what I have seen when I have watched him this season. He goes in hard on the forecheck. Throws his body around. He is firing the puck a lot. He got a very hard shot, and he is very dangerous putting hard quick shots on the net from all angles. He is a really heads-up player with the puck too, and is good at protecting it. Tremendous reach. I do think he is close already and that he has a boatload of potential to improve. Like one thing, being gifted offensively and smart doesn't per automatic mean that you have super smooth hands and good technical abilities handling passes with your skates etc. Pulju is like that, it definitely hurts him a bit in NA that he doesn't quiet get time to settle down the puck, which he gets in Europe. These things will certainly come with time on the ice. I also like his attitude.

When you watch him in Finland, I think everyone will be impressed and like how he is going about things. Holland included of course which will up his price. But he is starting to look like a player, instead of just a lanky teenager.

In the end what seals it for me is that I really think we have a "secret weapon" in Artemi Panarin. Imagine being able to put Puljujärvi with Panarin, if anyone could push him over the top its Panarin. He also would bring us a shoot first attitude around the net.

2. Geo should be traded. He will just cost too much. Its a given for me. I love him, but the cap aspects just seals the deal.

3. Look, its total denial to expect us to be able to trade Trouba without replacing him with a defender with size that can log heavy minutes. His stats may not look great, its the time of offensive hockey out there and so hard for defeneders to get by, and Trouba will have issues at times. But there is no way we could just ask Fox and Trouba to do what he is doing, or Nils Lundqvist.

We got him for a reason, and that reason will just not even remotely go away. We would get into all kinds of trouble if we moved him without replacing him. Think he was a great signing.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
When Jakub is changed to Jake, Vaclav is changed to Vinny, seeing Alexandar being written as Alexander shouldn't come as a surprise
1) The post was a tongue in cheek “bow down and show some respect” quip, and not really serious.

2) There’s a difference between a nickname and a misspelling.

3) Truthfully, odds are good Dregs was simply a victim of spellcheck.

:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad