Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XVIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
3. Calgary definitely tried something that wasn’t futures-related. But they wanted assurance re-signing Hall was a possibility, and weren’t allowed to explore it. Florida desired similar. Not that we’re ever going to find out, but I heard the Islanders tried more of a “hockey deal,” too.
31 Thoughts: Who's next on the NHL rental market? - Sportsnet.ca

Are they looking to move Johnny Hockey? Does Kreider know how beautiful it is in Calgary....

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I think Lemieux has some more room to grow. Wouldn't even rule out finding his way onto a top 6 role one day. Gritty power forwards are a pain in the ass for opposing teams. Wilson, Tkachuk's, etc.

For #20
I think I'm the only guy here that wants to keep him.

If he is moved, I think there will be a pretty decent market bidding for him at the deadline.

Colorado has been mentioned for 2 seasons now as a possible destination. If I was a GM sitting on that roster I would love the idea of #20 in the mix. Would be tough for clubs to handle him and MacKinnon. Speed and size up front.

I'm watching the NHL Network now. They talked Kreider. They also think that Montreal is the destination. Would be interesting to see Domi and Kreider together.

Personally, I think Edmonton is the best fit. Might be the best 1,2 combo down the middle of any team in the league. But after that there's players like Kassian in the top 6. Kreider in that mix would be really interesting. Edm doesn't have space this year, however they have like 12 UFA's coming off next year. They have depth that will like move up into the roster on the cheap. Bouchard on D. Yamamoto as a forward. I could see them as club that could trade for him and redo the contract for 2020.
I’d like very much to keep Kreider and I think he will be a very hard player to replace. I am resigned to him being monetized if he cannot be signed.

I will point this out though; look at the top 8-10 teams, look at their current contract situations and what they have coming up this summer. The better teams don’t have a lot of room. Tampa, Toronto, Boston, Washington are just some of the better teams facing a real cap crunch next year. Colorado is probably the one exception. I don’t see a whole lot of candidates to give Kreider a 7 X 7 contract.

i don't think he is the kind of guy to chase a contract. He may be willing to take less term (and perhaps a reasonable amount of money) to stay in NY.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Any interest in Galchenyuk? What's going on with the kid? He's scored 30.. put up 50 twice.. He'll be 26 early 2020.. Only getting 12 minutes of icetime in Pitt.

Can fill/replace Kreiders spot. Is he a problem in the locker room? Depending on his new contract he could be a great value/bargain
Galchenyuk probably doesn’t hold much interest because he goes UFA at the end of the year. I wouldn’t discount Pittsburgh though. Kreider would fit like a glove there.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Galchenyuk probably doesn’t hold much interest because he goes UFA at the end of the year. I wouldn’t discount Pittsburgh though. Kreider would fit like a glove there.
I probably didn't make it obvious but I meant to sign him as a UFA... 2 years ... 4.5ish million per. Nice stop-gap with potential as a player and a trade chip.

edit- thhis is also assuming Kreider and possibly Buch being moved.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Galchenyuk is another one, who is not worth it. Already given up by three teams. No position. Doesn’t skate well enough. Waste of a roster spot.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I hate the thought of helping a division rival but if I’m looking for a team with a need for another scoring forward, a boatload of draft picks and prospect currency, I’m looking at Carolina.

I've been saying this for a while now.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Generally speaking, finding trade proposals that people on HF Boards like can be a challenge.

It often feels like the sporting equivalent of watching a show like House Hunters.

Participants want a 3,000 square foot house, with hardwood floors, a pool, an acre of property, with access to the train, good schools and restaurants, in a trendy metro area, and they want it for $150,000.

Raises hand.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I could see a team offering Kreider longer term but a smaller cap hit. Something like 7 years at $6m. With the cap increasing in the near future, some of these contenders won’t be scared of term.

Jost + 2nd
Gautier + 1st
Bennett + 2nd
Kostin + 1st
Frederic + 1st

I think out of those, I’d probably prefer Jost + 2nd. I’d then look to trade Buch in the offseason.

Reactions: egelband and Trxjw

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Reactions: wafflepadsave

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
I could see a team offering Kreider longer term but a smaller cap hit. Something like 7 years at $6m. With the cap increasing in the near future, some of these contenders won’t be scared of term.

Jost + 2nd
Gautier + 1st
Bennett + 2nd
Kostin + 1st
Frederic + 1st

I think out of those, I’d probably prefer Jost + 2nd. I’d then look to trade Buch in the offseason.

I'd probably go with Kostin and the 1, depending on how bad that knee injury is.

Reactions: UnSandvich

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Gauthier is definitely the name that jumps out to me from Carolina as being a good fit while also potentially being available. Bean seems to be having trouble cracking the lineup as well.

just as an aside, Frederic is the same age and has 1 less point in 4 more games played than Gauthier. Both are power forwards. I’d put them on similar levels.

Reactions: egelband

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The thing with Fredric is that even if he's "only" a fourth line center/forward, he's a young forward who potentially brings more of the north-south, physical component that the team is looking for.

Obviously that's not enough to make him a main component, but there would be appeal there for the Rangers.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I figured Bennett would be in addition to the late 1st for someone like Kreider. Similar to the Hayes for 1st plus Lemieux deal.

If it's a 1st or him, I take the 1st. Whether or not I'd use it to make a pick rather than trade it for something else, I guess that would depend on what was available for the 1st at/near the draft

As far as the Rangers rumored not being happy with their lower line mix, perhaps they shouldn't have signed Smith years back, added McKegg, Haley. Like it would matter if Gettinger or Lettieri were getting those minutes. Maybe handled the Howden, Lias, thing a little differently.

Sure it may be too late now, but maybe they could think about the effects of those types of players in the future a little more before they make those choices.

For me when I see prospects, for example Lundkvist, Miller, Chytil being pulled out of semi late 1sts, or even Robertson out of a 2nd, there is just better odds there that something will come out of that even if they have to wait for it than there is from them getting either immediate or eventual value out of whatever prospect, or current NHLer a team is willing to let go of as part of a rental deal.

Similar when I see Fox being traded for two 2nds, I would rather have the picks and hope something like that comes about again. During the summer teams are in turmoil trying to do a bunch of stuff, take advantage of that if they can.

Teams making the playoffs do not have any real reason to give up something that good. As we've seen before the top flight prospects will be off the table, and anyone who can help them in the playoffs will be too. It only leaves slim pickings. Take the picks then try to parley them into something better, if it doesn't work they hopefully add a good prospect who adds value either to the Rangers or as a trade asset should they do well in their post draft year(s)

Reactions: Riche16

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
just as an aside, Frederic is the same age and has 1 less point in 4 more games played than Gauthier. Both are power forwards. I’d put them on similar levels.

I definitely think there's more talent with Frederic than he's given credit for, but I still see him topping out as a bottom-six player. Gauthier, in my opinion, has the right tools to be a complimentary scoring forward but is more of a gamble.

Gritty 3rd line type with a really good shot of being an NHL player vs a complimentary 2nd line scoring winger who has a higher chance of being a career AHLer. We could use both. Just depends on which odds they favor.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Tough to include Smith in a conversation about the lower lines as someone they should maybe not have signed. I doubt they expected him to be playing wing full time when he was signed. Maybe they shouldn't have signed him in general, but he was signed to play defense.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
I figured Bennett would be in addition to the late 1st for someone like Kreider. Similar to the Hayes for 1st plus Lemieux deal.

If it's a 1st or him, I take the 1st. Whether or not I'd use it to make a pick rather than trade it for something else, I guess that would depend on what was available for the 1st at/near the draft

As far as the Rangers rumored not being happy with their lower line mix, perhaps they shouldn't have signed Smith years back, added McKegg, Haley. Like it would matter if Gettinger or Lettieri were getting those minutes. Maybe handled the Howden, Lias, thing a little differently.

Sure it may be too late now, but maybe they could think about the effects of those types of players in the future a little more before they make those choices.

For me when I see prospects, for example Lundkvist, Miller, Chytil being pulled out of semi late 1sts, or even Robertson out of a 2nd, there is just better odds there that something will come out of that even if they have to wait for it than there is from them getting either immediate or eventual value out of whatever prospect, or current NHLer a team is willing to let go of as part of a rental deal.

Similar when I see Fox being traded for two 2nds, I would rather have the picks and hope something like that comes about again. During the summer teams are in turmoil trying to do a bunch of stuff, take advantage of that if they can.

Teams making the playoffs do not have any real reason to give up something that good. As we've seen before the top flight prospects will be off the table, and anyone who can help them in the playoffs will be too. It only leaves slim pickings. Take the picks then try to parley them into something better, if it doesn't work they hopefully add a good prospect who adds value either to the Rangers or as a trade asset should they do well in their post draft year(s)
I gotta agree, I really need that first unless we can get back a player with some more upside. Bennett and a 2nd I'd have to pass on unless it's the best offer. If adding a first in this particular draft takes a lesser player than so be it

Edit: But like u said the first doesn't necessarily need to be viewed as we're gonna get this specific guy and wait for years of his development but rather just being viewed as a commodity, maybe you get a guy you like and wait for his development, maybe you use him as a trading piece to upgrade the roster a la Samuel Girard, Danny Sprong, maybe you package it to move up in the draft, etc

Last edited:
Reactions: Off Sides
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad