Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XVIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Actually I wonder if the Rangers could get some skill and some grit from the Avs. AJ Greer has seriously fallen out of favor there and wouldn't be a terrible throw-in piece along with Jost and a pick. A change of scenery might do him some good as the tools are there to be a 4th line player who can bring that physical element the Rangers seem to be after.

Reactions: NYR Viper

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Actually I wonder if the Rangers could get some skill and some grit from the Avs. AJ Greer has seriously fallen out of favor there and wouldn't be a terrible throw-in piece along with Jost and a pick. A change of scenery might do him some good as the tools are there to be a 4th line player who can bring that physical element the Rangers seem to be after.

didn’t he leave BU for juniors mid year? I wonder what Quinn thinks of him

Reactions: egelband

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Skjei has been good lately no?

Yeah, and I've always liked him. I just can't help but think he's not a long term core piece for this team which is what we should be collecting more of or at least attempting to.

I think he and Kreider + our 2020 2nd might be able to score one crazy package. I dunno. It's a weird season, who knows who is available really.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Fair, yet I'm just not so sure about their pro scouting. While they hit on say Zbad, they've missed on Smith, Shattenkirk, also could maybe include Names, Spooner in there yet those may have been requirements to take back in those deals more so than the Rangers wanted them.

And in some regards that seem to go for their post draft prospects scouting too, I'm not too sure about guys like Howden, Hajek, Rykov, Lindgren, not that I think they do not have time to improve, or that I dislike the ideas behind some of that, just seems like those were more prospects those teams were willing to include in deals than ones who should have been really sought after.
Strome has been a home run, to this point. Namestnikov was frustrating, but he was pretty much exactly as-advertised, I think. DeAngelo was a big acquisition, and they really had to develop him. They identified Grabner as an ideal fit and turned him into gold, then got Rykov for him. Even a guy like Nick Holden was a credit to the pro scouts. Shattenkirk looks terrific in Tampa, so that seems more of an injury/usage thing than bad pro scouting. Still, even teams that consistently excel in pro scouting whiff on occasion.

Howden and Hajek, I understand the concern there. Lindgren has looked better than expected (even by me, who always loved him). Rykov could very well be an excellent defender, and I think he was a sneaky acquisition. IDK who else we would have been targeting from NJ. I think Lindgren and Rykov are examples of great amateur scouting, and it's no coincidence they came in deals where the immediate response was, "The Rangers did well!" Whereas Howden and Hajek, the response to that deal was mixed. Yzerman is a tough negotiator, so it's hard to say whether that was bad scouting or just a situation where Gorton couldn't get what he wanted and had to take the best that was out there.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Re: Carolina... Every time I've seen the Checkers lately, Kuokkonen stands out to me.

If we got him in a trade for Kreider, he'd probably skip Hartford and come right up to play LW for the Rangers.

Last edited:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Him being D+4 would put him at the same point as most of the prospects we've been acquiring. The question is whether or not they're looking for guys who are still a couple of years away, which was their M.O. when the rebuild started, or if they're looking for guys who are on the cusp of establishing themselves, like they did with Lemieux last year.

Frederic would more closely fit the latter. A lot of what we've heard suggests that they're hoping to target more of those players. So we're probably not looking at guys drafted in 2018, but guys drafted 2015-2017. Or if they've identified someone like Strome, Brassard, or to a lesser extent Pouliot, they might reach back to 2014 players.

I think you're going to find there's not a lot of that type of prospect, just looking at forwards, to choose from for many of these teams. Frederic is about it from Boston. Jost is about it from Colorado. Maybe Greer or Bowers...

You wonder how well some of these teams really fit as trading partners if we're looking for cuspy-types.
Right, but the guys we acquired were all ahead of where Frederic is at this point, which is mainly why I'm not too high on him. If I had to guess, we're looking at guys on the cusp of establishing themselves since our forward pool is looking relatively weak at the moment. However, of the names mentioned, only Bowers, Jost, and Kuokkanen interest me at the moment.

If none of these guys are available, I'd rather take the picks. The only downside is that this kinda keeps pushing the can down the road with the ROI of our prospect pool and doesn't help too much to solve our depth issues.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Right, but the guys we acquired were all ahead of where Frederic is at this point, which is mainly why I'm not too high on him. If I had to guess, we're looking at guys on the cusp of establishing themselves since our forward pool is looking relatively weak at the moment. However, of the names mentioned, only Bowers, Jost, and Kuokkanen interest me at the moment.

If none of these guys are available, I'd rather take the picks. The only downside is that this kinda keeps pushing the can down the road with the ROI of our prospect pool and doesn't help too much to solve our depth issues.

Were Howden and Lindgren really ahead of Frederic? I don’t think that’s true.

If either was playing in the AHL this year they’d probably be viewed similarly. Same goes for Hajek most likely

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

I'd prefer Kuokkonen since he's an LW, but Gauthier out of CAR would be fine too. Do you not like him or did you just overlook him?

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
just as an aside, Frederic is the same age and has 1 less point in 4 more games played than Gauthier. Both are power forwards. I’d put them on similar levels.
I’m happy to see the type of names we’re discussing. If these are the names the rangers are discussing, I’m happy. But most of them are secondary pieces to trade. Most need a 1st attached. A couple (tuch, andersen, bennett) would be primary pieces.

Why don’t we list all the guys in the NHL you’d feel is considered the type of north/south hard compete that fits the mold of the players we’re discussing.

For a guy like me who pretty exclusively watches rangers games only until March, I don’t the league the way I used to, there’s got to be a ton of guys who fit the mold, especially when your talking about guys who haven’t yet solidified themselves as permanent NhLers are their team and our front office thinks they might blend in well and stick with our team.

Guys that come to mind for me, at least from a maybe available standpoint.

Richie (ducks)
Crouse (yotes)
Bennett (flames)
Carrier (knights)
Tuch (knights)
Anderson (jackets)
Frederic (bruins)
Gauthier (canes)
Watson (preds) (10ftpole)
Greenway (Wild)
Ericksson Ek (Wild)
Lowry (Jets)
Copp (Jets)
Khaira (oilers)
Debrusk (bruins)
Girgensons (Sabres)
Vesey (Sabres) ;)
Rodrigques (Sabres)
Armia (habs)
Hyman (leafs)
Martinook (canes)
Mcginn (canes)
Ninoreitter (canes)
Jenner (jackets)
Blandisi (pens)

Who else nhlers and cusps prospects?
Somebody should do the same for LD capable or
Potentially capable of playing 1st pair left D

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
When I was compiling that list, debrusk jumped out at me as a dark horse trade return for a signed Kreider.

The thinking being, the two will make rather similar money going forward, and say the bruins want Kreider but would need to move someone to fit him in. Maybe the Bs decide that’s rather have Kreider at that cap commitment than debrusk and offer him in a deal for Kreider to have him for this year’s cup run.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
When I was compiling that list, debrusk jumped out at me as a dark horse trade return for a signed Kreider.

The thinking being, the two will make rather similar money going forward, and say the bruins want Kreider but would need to move someone to fit him in. Maybe the Bs decide that’s rather have Kreider at that cap commitment than debrusk and offer him in a deal for Kreider to have him for this year’s cup run.

There is a 0% chance DeBrusk would be on the table for Kreider. The same goes for like 3/4 of the names on that list you posted.

Reactions: bobbop

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I'd prefer Kuokkonen since he's an LW, but Gauthier out of CAR would be fine too. Do you not like him or did you just overlook him?

Overlooked. His numbers seem pretty solid for Charlotte. How has he looked so far when you've seen him?

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
There is a 0% chance DeBrusk would be on the table for Kreider. The same goes for like 3/4 of the names on that list you posted.
The list had nothing to do with Kreider other than he is one trade chip.

And to be honest I’m looking at debrusks stats and I wouldn’t be so quick to say there’s 0% chance. Teams like the bruins can’t keep everyone. I think Krug is higher on their list to keep than debrusk. And let’s just say the bruins prefer adding Kreiders element to the lineup than having debrusk on top of what they already have.
And again I’m not pining for debrusk. It’s just a name that made sense within the context of the situation

Reactions: egelband and Tawnos

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I’m happy to see the type of names we’re discussing. If these are the names the rangers are discussing, I’m happy. But most of them are secondary pieces to trade. Most need a 1st attached. A couple (tuch, andersen, bennett) would be primary pieces.

Why don’t we list all the guys in the NHL you’d feel is considered the type of north/south hard compete that fits the mold of the players we’re discussing.

For a guy like me who pretty exclusively watches rangers games only until March, I don’t the league the way I used to, there’s got to be a ton of guys who fit the mold, especially when your talking about guys who haven’t yet solidified themselves as permanent NhLers are their team and our front office thinks they might blend in well and stick with our team.

Guys that come to mind for me, at least from a maybe available standpoint.

Richie (ducks)
Crouse (yotes)
Bennett (flames)
Carrier (knights)
Tuch (knights)
Anderson (jackets)
Frederic (bruins)
Gauthier (canes)
Watson (preds) (10ftpole)
Greenway (Wild)
Ericksson Ek (Wild)
Lowry (Jets)
Copp (Jets)
Khaira (oilers)
Debrusk (bruins)
Girgensons (Sabres)
Vesey (Sabres) ;)
Rodrigques (Sabres)
Armia (habs)
Hyman (leafs)
Martinook (canes)
Mcginn (canes)
Ninoreitter (canes)
Jenner (jackets)
Blandisi (pens)

Who else nhlers and cusps prospects?
Somebody should do the same for LD capable or
Potentially capable of playing 1st pair left D

That’s a good list from my perspective. AJ Greer from Colorado’s system is another one.

mid probably remove a guy like Khaira, Debrusk, Tuch, Watson, Vesey, Niederiter for various reasons.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Overlooked. His numbers seem pretty solid for Charlotte. How has he looked so far when you've seen him?

I figured. He looks good. He's not as good of a skater as Kuokkonen, but he's also bigger and heavier... and his game reflects that. He's also more of a shooter, which might be a reasonable thing for us to target.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The list had nothing to do with Kreider other than he is one trade chip.

And to be honest I’m looking at debrusks stats and I wouldn’t be so quick to say there’s 0% chance. Teams like the bruins can’t keep everyone. I think Krug is higher on their list to keep than debrusk. And let’s just say the bruins prefer adding Kreiders element to the lineup than having debrusk on top of what they already have.
And again I’m not pining for debrusk. It’s just a name that made sense within the context of the situation

Fair enough about the list.

I don't see how DeBrusk would be someone they wouldn't keep because of money while trading for a signed Kreider. The trade would be a lateral move.

Reactions: NernieBichols

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
That’s a good list from my perspective. AJ Greer from Colorado’s system is another one.

mid probably remove a guy like Khaira, Debrusk, Tuch, Watson, Vesey, Niederiter for various reasons.

Watson has issues I don’t want to touch. Tuch, debrusk, niederitter all on teams who have a lot of guys to have to choice who to pay going forward. All 3 are having down years in comparison to last year, that’s why i mention them as maybe available. There’s a ton of guys I didn’t even list cuz they are ovbiously not available, these were the guys I thought might fit

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Fair enough about the list.

I don't see how DeBrusk would be someone they wouldn't keep because of money while trading for a signed Kreider. The trade would be a lateral move.
Yes it would be lateral in many senses. But the difference is playing styles. And the bruins have had a long time to watch kreiders career and debrusks 3 seasons or whatever with the club and they may feel they would be even tougher to handle with Kreider as opposed to debrusk with that money and in that top 6 spot. That’s what I’m coming from at least

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad