Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XVIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
??? He's been producing somewhat consistently until being traded to Pittsburgh.

He's a middle6 winger and a weapon on the PP. He'd be a replacement for Kreider and/or Buch. Maybe Quinn could work his magic

Everything about his NHL career screams effort or attitude problems.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Only interested in Frederic as like a tertiary piece to a deal. Like pick+good prospect+Frederic, which is probably not likely, but that's about my level of interest. Assuming we're talking Kreider here. If you moved a lesser piece, I'd be more receptive to Frederic.

I'd venture he could be the prospect in a "First+ a prospect" type offer.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
One nice thing about having so many good prospects is that at some point we may be able to make that trade where we swing for the fences and bring in a game changer
We have the game changer already in Panarin and Zibs and KK in a year or so and maybe Kravtsov too. What we need is some guys that can win puck battles and force the opposing D to cough up pucks and make them take penalties giving these guys I mention more opportunities . Think about it....who is a bigger game changer then the Breadman ?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
We have the game changer already in Panarin and Zibs and KK in a year or so and maybe Kravtsov too. What we need is some guys that can win puck battles and force the opposing D to cough up pucks and make them take penalties giving these guys I mention more opportunities . Think about it....who is a bigger game changer then the Breadman ?

I agree. And I am not a big Bennett fan, but he isn't a center and Calgary are stoked at LW with Johnny Hockey and Tkachuk. I am not a big 1/2/3 line fan, makes zero sense from my POV to put much value into the fact if someone is on the 1st line that hops onto the ice, the 2nd line that hops onto the ice or the 3rd line that hops onto the ice. All shifts matter the same. For most teams, the 4th line is also really important.

I think Bennet could play basically anywhere in your line-up, all that matters is of course what role he have. Think he would produce much more if he played with a skilled center and RW.

Wouldn't give up a lot to get him though, but I definitely understand the allure like you say. Just think its unfortunate that he is a LW. Would he have been a RW I would have been much higher on him.

Reactions: leetch99

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
About Max Domi, I definitely thought Sam and Joe were laying it on a little thick about his dad being in the crowd the last time we played them. Maybe I just read too much into it because that's one of the guys I want.

Reactions: Ola

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I'm talking about Galchenyuk being a 'depth scorer'.... a buy-low candidate that may come at a great value.

He'd be replacing Kreider's ( or even Buch's) production.... not leading the team.

Then there's the Russian aspect. He'd could help our fellow Ruskies with being acclimated here already and being fluent.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
@Ola is correct in the sense that Bennett has been used primarily as a wing the last couple of years in Calgary.

Though ironically enough, his face-off percentage the last two years would compare favorably on this squad.

Also worth noting, that Strome is another player who has spent a lot of time at center for the Rangers, after spending significant amounts of time on the wings for Edmonton and the Islanders.

Case in point, he's already taken nearly 1/3 more faceoffs for the Rangers than he did in Edmonton, despite playing four fewer games in his career. Likewise, he's taken almost the same amount of faceoffs for the Rangers as he did for the Islanders, but has played two fewer seasons and 260 fewer games for the Rangers.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband and Ola

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I also forgot to mention Chytil who I think definitely will be a game changer in 2 years or less judging by the improvements he has made . That is 5 guys ....not many clubs have that luxury looking ahead . Somebody will have to be made expendable to acquire the other needs .

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It wouldn't necessarily hurt my feelings if we hung on to Kreider but he'd have to accept a contract favorable to the team. I really wouldn't want to do more than 4 years and relatively for what he's making now. Somewhere around 4 years--$5 mil per and with no trade restrictions. I don't think that's in the cards.

That last part is really what all of this is about. It's not that the Rangers don't want him, so much as the terms are going to be tough to agree on.

That gets lost sometimes and it ends up feeling like he needs to be moved just for the sake of getting assets. But that's not the case.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
About Max Domi, I definitely thought Sam and Joe were laying it on a little thick about his dad being in the crowd the last time we played them. Maybe I just read too much into it because that's one of the guys I want.

Yeah, that is one I also think would make a lot sense for us from all kinds of perspectives.

But would MTL really be interested in dealin him?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
like what?

Like the fact that the Canadiens seem to have him on the block for like 4 years before dealing him, despite him being 2nd or 3rd on the team in scoring for 3 of those years. He was demoted to the 4th line repeatedly when he was there. He gets moved in a change of scenery deal despite putting up 51 points. Then he goes to AZ, has a decent season, but the Coyotes are perfectly willing to part with him. Yeah, it was a deal for Kessel, but I get the feeling there was no resistance to the idea of parting with him. Now, less than 3 months with the new team, and they're already willing to move on.

This kind of thing doesn't happen to players without issues somewhere in there.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
How do you guys think a trade with Calgary plays out for rental Kreider....would Bennett alone get it done ....or who would add what ? Without looking I am unsure of Bennett contract status or amount and if we also could pry another prospect /good pick for rental Kreider . Also...would Kreider waive for Calgary unless they are not on his list ? I know that short term losing CK would hurt us . However...the addition of the nastiness will be of benefit in the long haul if we can find that suitable spot for him to play in our top 9 . Having Bennett and Lemieux around and a spirited kid line developed by our farm system as our 4th line will add some exuberance throughout the forward unit over the next two-three seasons . We should not have to break the bank money wise or playerwise via trades to accomplish this ....but will have to allow for couple of seasons for it to unfold. Maybe we get lucky and catch a break along the way !:nod:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
How do you guys think a trade with Calgary plays out for rental Kreider....would Bennett alone get it done ....or who would add what ? Without looking I am unsure of Bennett contract status or amount and if we also could pry another prospect /good pick for rental Kreider . Also...would Kreider waive for Calgary unless they are not on his list ? I know that short term losing CK would hurt us . However...the addition of the nastiness will be of benefit in the long haul if we can find that suitable spot for him to play in our top 9 . Having Bennett and Lemieux around and a spirited kid line developed by our farm system as our 4th line will add some exuberance throughout the forward unit over the next two-three seasons . We should not have to break the bank money wise or playerwise via trades to accomplish this ....but will have to allow for couple of seasons for it to unfold. Maybe we get lucky and catch a break along the way !:nod:

Supposedly, Calgary has asked about Skjei and about Kreider at different times. Not sure it ever went anywhere beyond a casual check-in. So I wouldn't completely rule Skjei out as someone who is of interest to them, though I'm not sure how in the world that would fit as a potential trade. So I kind of just file that away in the "interesting, but not likely" category.

Back to Kreider, if Bennett is on the table, I think you're probably looking at maybe a second? Maybe a third?

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Supposedly, Calgary has asked about Skjei and about Kreider at different times. Not sure it ever went anywhere beyond a casual check-in. So I wouldn't completely rule Skjei out as someone who is of interest to them, though I'm not sure how in the world that would fit as a potential trade. So I kind of just file that away in the "interesting, but not likely" category.

Back to Kreider, if Bennett is on the table, I think you're probably looking at maybe a second? Maybe a third?

Bennett and a 2nd or 3rd makes sense. Plus a conditional pick if he resigns there

Reactions: egelband

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Put together a bunch of florating thoughts, rumors and proposals from "the internet" and elsewhere. This is our team next year then...;) Before we get aggressive and upgrade the final holes...

2020/2021 NYR
Nylander - Zib - Buch
Panarin - Byfield - Pulju
Kravtsov - Chytil - Kakko
Lemmy - Lias - Gauthier/Clifford

Barron - maybe one of Henriksson?/Edström? - Pajuniemi in HFD

Rykov - Trouba
Lindgren - Fox
Hajek - ADA
UFA/TRADE VET

Miller - Lundkvist - Robertsson - Reuanen in HFD
M Staal bought out
Gross?, Skinner?

Shesty
Hank

Wall - Huska in HFD
Lindbom signed and loaned to SHL

Reactions: Mr Clutch and Ola

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016

Bennett sucks, I'd keep Kreider before I traded him for him.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
And for the record, I don't know about Bennett being available --- I'm just intrigued by the concept. I can try to find out though.

With regards to some of what the Rangers might be looking at, I think we should somewhat get used to the idea that what the Rangers are eyeing might not necessarily be the sexiest options, or ones that universally make us say, "Wow, that's pretty exciting."

Again, I think there is some higher-end stuff they're looking into. But I also think they're not happy with the depth they have right now --- or at least the "mix" they have right now.

Ideally you want skill mixed with a north-south style of play. But you could also be looking at guys where the line combination strives for the potential as well. As part of that approach, you might start to see this team explore deals where the skill they get back isn't necessarily on par with the skill the board feels we gave up --- maybe an Amonte for Matteau/Noonan style move.

I just want to put that out there as a distinct possibility for people to consider. Because I don't think it's quite what some fans might be expecting at this point.

I’d love to know what it would take to get him. I have to think it’s nearing time for them to move on

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
I'm underwhelmed by the return of Bennett. If it's a 2nd or a 3rd attached... that's not working for me.

I look at it in the context of the deal. We would eat half of Kreider's salary while taking on the full Bennett hit. And for Kreider himself, it is bribery if it's a team facing Colorado in the playoffs. Colorado destroyed Calgary with speed. I'll sell him to Colorado if you don't come with a serious offer. You'll be chasing all 4 games on your way to a sweep.

Kreider is one of the few ways you can get into the same neighborhood as Colorado's speed. I know we have to see how the market shapes up, but with Calgary's situation and cap and exit and needs.... I am looking for more than Sam Bennett and a 3rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad